Farewell

Confession Of A Friend

 

 

FAREWELL

 

Stop me, please.

I’m slowly walking to the aphotic path to your heart, but please stop me before I take another step.

I’m so fazed, I know I can’t decide.

I admit, I’m playing on the safe side, because I myself am not sure of what feelings arose in me lately.

 

You either stop me from walking away –

Because of those promises and memories, I want to hold on.

If I walked away and forget we ever happened to be friends, then maybe I can finally answer my own wavering heart’s question.

 

or from falling.

 

Because I’m not too strong to handle an unsure emotion, and I swore I won’t risk our friendship for a ‘friend’s confession.’

But I decided on the latter, to stop from falling and walk away with a hanging question in both of my mind and heart.

 

~

 

“Scarlette, keep safe.” I tightened the grip on my bag’s strap, releasing an evident sadness. Those were his last words to me, not even turning again to bid a proper farewell. I’m your best friend, am I?

 

I sat alone on the bench at our school, under our favorite tree ‘we’ used to stay at, until dusk enveloped the sky. It was my last day there anyway.

 

“He said he’ll be meeting me here..” And all I got was a text with mere ‘care’ In it.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it today, I had to leave early. Something came up.. just be safe.” My hands trembled instantaneously and my legs became jelly. I knew it was coming, that day when he’d slowly distance himself from me. I dug in my coat’s pocket, clenching in my fist the letter I wrote the night before. Call me old-fashioned but I preferred for an at least formal farewell. I even wrote a farewell letter which I put effort into.  He knew I was leaving, didn’t he? He could have not just said he was meeting me, could he?

 

Out of nowhere, I found myself tearing. “Why am I crying, it’s not like I’m leaving forever right..” I assured myself. Frantically, I blinked several times when I realized a figure sat beside me, half of its weight hung around my shoulders.

 

 

“Scarlette?” That voice, it’s him – Baekhyun, my other bestfriend.

 

“Baek.. hyun. Hey what’s up –“ I pushed my lips upward into a faded smile, but of course it didn’t work.

 

“You’re down.” He said as if he were too sure of it. But he’s right, I was down, mad, hurt, I was sensitive but heck, I didn’t know why I was feeling all of those.

 

“Don’t cry, you’ll still see me. I know you’ll miss me.” He half-smirked, but patted my head and ran his long, slender fingers on my back.

 

“I hate you Baekhyun, thank you for that.” And maybe I thought of that a little too loud.

 

“I hate you, too.” He chuckled. He broke the thick air between us.

“Is it… Chanyeol again?” He carefully asked with concern apparent in his tone. I just nodded and he knew better than to ask – he hugged me. I just hate being comforted, it makes me cry. But it was Baekhyun, that brother bestfriend I had ever since.

 

“I don’t know what to tell you, but for now, don’t think of him too much. I’m your Oppa aren’t I? If you cry again for the same reason, I may have to beat him out.” I smiled at this, what a witty oppa. I know he won’t do it. He blew on my eyes and pinched my nose, “Go home now and rest, you have a long flight later.” He stood tall before me and turned me around, quite of pushing me to go home already.

 

“Thank you Byun Baekhyun, I’ll miss you!” I gave him a last hug.

 

As I walked apart from him, I heard him murmur, but loud enough for me to hear. “Dongsaeng.. has it ever crossed your mind if you.. two had been more than friends?” I stopped and smiled faintly, I slowly voiced out. “We’re just bestfriends, I guess.” Before I walked off too far, I fought to say, “And will always be like that.”

 

~

 

I fiddled on my phone while waiting for my flight and suddenly, I came across my picture of me and him. I gazed at it longer than expected when I realized it was ringing for a moment. “Park Chanyeol.” The caller ID read.

 

“Scarlette.. uh look, I know you’re mad. I’m really sorry.. Heavens must have hated us earlier, some things got on my way and yeah.” His deep voice, groggy, made me want to weep.

 

“It’s o –” I responded shortly, but then he cut me off. “No it’s not. Believe me, please.. I really feel guilty. Don’t cry, I ruined your last day here, I broke my promise, and I can’t keep my words. I’m not good enough for a bestfriend.” He continued while I try not to weep. My broken voice decided to act upon and my mouth had a mind of its own as it began sprouting words.

 

“I know, you hurt me, Chanyeol.”

“I’ll make it up to you.. Give me time, Scarlette, soon ne? This derp bestfriend will wipe those tears away.”

 

‘Flight EX bound for Canada is now boarding.’

 

There was silence between us, but my hitched breath from preventing my tears to pour out was clear enough.

 

“It’s my boarding –“

 

“Oh Scarlette, don’t forget me, Park Chanyeol, your bestfriend.. I’ll really miss you.” I took a deep breath and for a moment, I wanted to turn back all of my decisions. I wanted to ‘confess,’ right then before.. before of what I fear happened.

 

“Take care, my dear.” His voice dissipated into a dial tone, and I proceeded in the airplane.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE <3

Please anticipate for the 2ND PART! OH I just love to make 2 Shots, don't I, kkkk. 

For this story line, I decided to make Chanyeol a lot more serious than to show a happy-go-lucky persona. I wanted to be more realistic if ever Chanyeol does really experience something like this.

He isn't just all laughs, I believe. And no, the OC isn't over reacting as well. Just wanted to clear out :)