Speeches, Troubles, and Secrets

Saranghae Baboya (I love you, idiot)

Your POV

I’m so nervous.

I sigh as the graduation ceremony goes on and soon I’m called up so I can read off my speech.

“Hi everyone. It’s amazing that after being here for so long we’re all leaving and set our foot into the world. I know that many of us will succeed and show the world who we are. I plan to do that and make my name well known like my older brother. My brother Jae Jin Lee who is part of the band FT Island is someone who I have always looked up to since I was young. Instead of playing guitar and singing I dance. It’s funny that someone with the talent for dancing has a brother that look likes a chicken with his head cut off when he tries to,” I hear someone shout a hey and I know my brother heard it.

My brother is the reason I’m standing here today. He had always pushed me into the right direction and helped me when I fell. He was the one that pushed me in the direction of singing and writing lyrics. I was never that great until I kept practicing and practicing.That’s what I believe will help us. If we find something, we love and keep practicing if we’re not that great at it. That’s what I want to do. I want to keep practicing my singing and dancing and become like my older brother. I look up to him and his band mates. I know that I have found my dream and someone of you are still looking. That’s the thing if you look too hard you may miss it. Miss the opportunity and you may realize that you missed something that you would enjoy. Still everyone has a right to pursue his or her dreams and see the outcome. No matter what even if you fail it’s a teaching for you. Also at least you know you tried to go after your dream. That’s what I always thought.

I thought that as I pursued my dream to dance, but then I had broken my leg when I pulled a kid out of the way of a car. When they told me I’d never dance again I gave up for what seemed to be an eternity, but was only a few months. My friend Mei pulled me from my slump telling me that I had no reason to quit, that I needed to prove the doctors wrong. My leg was all healed so I listened to Mei’s advice. I remember thinking it was the worst experience of my life training and practicing my dancing. I was about to give up when I realized that I wasn’t falling and I was moving with grace again. I’m not saying that would always happen, but I had faith and I couldn’t stop dancing.

That’s the thing we have to have faith in ourselves and in those who truly want to help us. We have to learn to trust those close to us. Now that I’ve learned to trust and met such great people I’m sad that this is a good-bye. I hope to see you all in the future. Before I end my speech I’d like to thank you all and say it was a wonder to know all of you.”

I end the speech and walk away from the stand and when I step far enough from it to the side no to hit my head I bow to everyone. I hear everyone cheer and I smile at them.

The principal sighs as he stands up on the stand, “thank you Miss. Lee. I’m sure everyone enjoyed your speech. Now for the words you have been waiting for You’re dismissed and graduated.”

I hear everyone shout in praise that the year has ended and we are out of this private high school.

I race over to my brother and his friends giving them a huge hug.

“Are my things in the car?”

They nod their heads.

I look around and I notice that my parents didn’t come.

I had a feeling they wouldn’t but I can hope can’t I.

“They didn’t come,” I mumble.

JJ must have heard me because he threw his arm around my shoulder, “Hey sis it’s alright. You have us and who cares if mom or dad didn’t show to see you’re graduation.”

I shrug, “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them JJ I just have a feeling  that they wouldn’t come since they don’t care for me.”

Before he can say anything else I walk up to Wonbin and ask, “Can you take me to the restaurant?”

He nods his head, “We’ll leave first see you guys there.”

When we are in the car, I sit silently as he starts to drive us in the right direction.

He looks at me as I start crying.

He hates it when I cry but he also knows that he’s one of the few people I will cry around.

He also knows that there really is no one that I will tell my problems to.

I will only cry around him and that’s it.

He reaches over and takes my hand in his pulling it up to place a small kiss on it.

“You know I’ve been wondering why did you never tell your brother that we dated?”

I look away from him looking out the window, “It’s because I didn’t want to make things awkward between the two of you. Also Won Bin we broke up a few years ago so don’t try this please. I just finally got over the break up.”

He nods his head, “I’m sorry for that. I could have used more tact, but I couldn’t stand knowing that I couldn’t act like I was dating you around your brother. I couldn’t hold you and kiss you whenever I wanted.”

“I know that Wonbin. Do you think I did that all on purpose? Hey let’s date my brother’s friend and make things worse between them and me.”

“That’s not what I’m saying,” he yells as he stops his car, “Look I’m sorry that I hurt you. I’m sorry I broke up with you, but I did that after I left the band and went to Japan. It would have been too hard to keep a relationship with you from all the way over there. Letting you go was one of that hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.”

I smile and give him a look, “Alright. You know I’ll still never go out with you again.’

“Never say never.”

I giggle at him, “Alright so maybe it’s still possible, but you have to work for it if you want me back.”

He nods his head and smiles at me pulling up the hand he’s still holding as he starts to drive again he kisses it as he sets out hands in between us.

My brother would freak if he knew that this is happening and what had happened between Wonbin and me.