Chapter Four

Laws Are Meant To Be Broken.

 

‘Let us go. You can’t do this to us!’ Niel shouted

The boy next to him kept quiet, he hadn’t said anything but the terror that consumed him was still evident in his face however there was something else there too, a tired sort of look, like he had given up on life and wasn’t completely there. There was no use it was better to let him have his way and it will all soon be over, he figured.

The boy tripped up again and the rope binding his wrists together cut deeper as he stumbled forward and lay unmoving, face down in the snow. Niel’s complaining stopped for a short while as he quickly fell to his knees by the boys side but as soon as the shock passed he started shouting at the man again, only this time he was telling him off and telling him to get his *** off his horse and untie both his and his friends wrists. You’d think having been beaten, kept tied up in a basement for months and then being pulled through the snow by his wrists by the same man that did all that to him on a horse may have quietened him down but well...this was Niel.

The man in front of them dismounted his horse and walked over to them, pushing a still shouting Niel aside he knelt by the boy. He reached out and ran his hands through the boys golden coloured locks seemingly him but then he grabbed a handful and pulled the boy up roughly by his hair. The boy just flinched but allowed himself to be pulled to his feet this time by the collar. The man started to walk towards his horse and the boy swayed on his feet but Niel quickly came to stand by him and let the boy lean on him for a minute before the man started forward again, pulling on the ropes that were tied around their wrists forcing them forward.

About what seemed like an hour later they appeared to be approaching a village. Uncharacteristically, Niel had been quiet since the incident an hour ago having decided to focus on the boy that walked beside him should he fall again. They walked into the village, earning a few odd looks but in these areas people had learnt to mind their own business and not to question what others were doing especially if the person was as dodgy looking as their captor. He led them to what appeared to be the village square and in the centre of it was an old well. He led the two boys up to it, dismounted and tied his end of the ropes that were holding the boys prisoner to the metal pole over the well that the water bucket hung on, once he was sure the notes were secure he walked away. Instantly the boy beside Niel fell to his knees and Niel shocked fell beside him.

‘ARE YOU ALRIGHT?!?’ he got no response but a slight nod of the boys head. He didn’t expect much it had been a long time since he had heard the boy’s voice. He leant back against the well and awkwardly somehow managed to pull the boy down to lie his head on his lap. His eyes scanned the smaller males body, taking in the barely there shirt, torn trousers and the wounds and cuts that marred his visible skin. Out of the three of the boys that had been imprisoned in the basement, the boy before him had without a doubt had the hardest time. Niel had only been beaten once at the very beginning but every few weeks the man would visit them, he would unchain the boy that now lay before him and take him upstairs into the cottage and for a few hours all they could hear would be his screams. Then again having been this boys best friend since they were young he knew what the boy had put up with everyday of his life and it was a wonder he made it this far.

Niel was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a scream. At first it was just the one but then the air was filled with screaming and as he looked around to see what was going on it seemed like the whole village, every building around the square within sight was consumed with black flames. Instantly he realised what was going on and he looked down at the boy whose head was still on his lap but had turned to face his stomach and was snuggling into him, his eyes squeezed shut. He knew the other male was aware of what was happening, he had seen it before.

If Niel had been counting right, three hours had passed since the flames had died down. The rancid smell of burnt and rotting flesh and blood hung in the air and the man had not returned since had left them tied up by the well. Night was falling upon them and it was beginning to snow again, he was getting cold. Niel could care less, he was more worried about the boy who lay in his lap, the boy had already been in a much worse state than he was. It had been over an hour now that he had fallen asleep and stopped responding. His lips were blue and his skin was cold and pale. Niel feared if the boy didn’t get help immediately he wouldn’t make it through the night. But he was helpless, he had tried freeing himself but the magic that held the knots in place made it impossible all he could do was sit there, cry and pray.

‘Boys’ POV:

I lay there, my head resting on Niel’s lap. It had been a while since the screaming stopped on the outside but in my head I could still hear them. The screams of the people in this village and the screams of the people from my past were all being blasted into my ears it seemed. I tried to nestle closer into Niel’s stomach so I could feel his warmth, it’s getting colder, I think it’s snowing now. I can feel the cold seeping through my skin and through to my very core. There have been times where I’ve felt close to death but this now is a lot closer than I’ve been before. Maybe it’s over now, maybe now I’ve finally been allowed to leave this wretched world. So, for a few final words.

Goodbye Niel. I’m sorry to have dragged you into all this. You really are the best friend anyone could wish for.

And goodbye Changjo, I’m sorry for all the pain and trouble I’ve caused you, maybe he’ll let you go once I’m gone. Please go live the life you always said you would. If you like, if it’s easier, forget me but if you get lonely remember...I love you.

 

Authors Note: So I think I've layered the angst on here and maybe made it a bit over dramatic.What do you think? Constructive criticism always appreciated!!