The Stranger

‘The Only One Person’

 

“Ya—ya!” your faint voice slowly woke me up to my consciousness. I was having a hard time opening my swollen eyes leaving me to only slightly agape them. But it was enough for me to make out your silhouette. It was dark and the surrounding seemed to be quiet now. It was probably midnight already.

“Aish chincha! What monster could have done this to you? He even dumped you in the trash. Does he have anything decent to do with his life?” you said in anger.

“Who are you?” I almost whispered as I tried to sit up but instead a small cry of agony escaped my mouth. I felt my whole body ache as hell, I didn’t even notice I was actually sitting on garbage.

In my surprise, you helped me on my feet, rested my hand around your neck and wrapped your hand around my waist reassuringly. “Ask me anything later after we treat your wounds and change your clothes,” you said as you supported the helpless bruised me.

~~

The pain on my abdomen was a little less sore now after I took a bath and changed into your clothes, a stranger’s clothes. With your help, the bruises on my face were treated and patched. Though you haven’t done anything special since you just sat there and held the mirror for me as I treated my own wounds, it felt as if you have done all the work and that I had to thank you for that.

“So…what happened?” you started after you have gone to the kitchen and handed me an ice pop for cold compress. You sat down on the floor beside me biting off the ice pop’s head in your hand.

Now that I see your face clearly in the light, you weren’t that bad. You were actually cute and kind of pretty but then again your short black messy hair indicates that you’re not pretty at all but handsome. Your eyes were exceptional; it’s as if emotions might over flow from them anytime and in my opinion it’s the most beautiful orbs I’ve ever seen. In addition, you were more of a rocker type; skull shirt, ragged pants and black nail polish were the evidence. You were not the type of person that I imagined to help a random person like me.

“Annyeong hasaeyo?” you waved your slender fingers in front of my face when you noticed it took me for a while to answer. “Are you okay?”

I nodded sheepishly.

“So will you tell me what happened?”

I hesitated for a second but answered, “I got robbed.”

“You remember their faces?”

“De.”

“We should call the cops,” you stood up determined as you headed to the door when suddenly I stopped you.

“It’s okay! They said they would leave me alone after this. Besides, they told me if I reported what happened to the authorities they’ll get back at me for sure.”

“What do you mean?” you asked in confusion as you resumed your position beside me.

I didn’t answer but as if you could read it all over my face you said, “Bullies eh?” for a while I saw sympathy in your eyes but then it turned into an intimidating stare. Eyes burning furiously, your face slowly leaned towards me.

Alarmed and confused, I got back automatically as if your eyes were going to eat me alive. I shut my eyes tightly and was ready for the cold hard punch.

But it never came, instead  I heard a chuckle.

“Now I understand why people easily bully you. You see, if ever you sense danger just like that, stand tall don’t show them how scared you are. Be strong. Fight—or if you don’t know how to fight, at least you should know how to run fast.”

*At that moment those words were meaningless. I never knew that those ‘meaningless words’ would have a big impact in my life, especially the one who uttered them.

I opened my eyes in innocence and found you smiling back at me with encouragement. I was confused and I distrusted you. Because in a cruel world where I live my life alone for eighteen years, I promised myself not to trust anyone that easily.

I didn’t smile back. I never did, but it seemed you didn’t mind and just stood up as if you remembered an important thing.

“What time is it?”

“1:40.”

You gasped, “I’m late for work.”

In no time, you were at the door putting on your shoes which were printed with skulls too.

I turned my head towards your direction at the same time you did.

Working at this hour? What work could that be? Omo! Don’t tell me he’s some kind of a gigolo or something?

“No I’m not what you think I am,” you answered my thoughts as if I said the words aloud. “I’m a singer in a music gallery.”

I was taken aback not the fact that you’re actually a singer but the fact that you actually read my thoughts. I was afraid you were a psychic or something.

“Would you be okay if I leave you first? It’s alright if you want to spend your night here though I wouldn’t be back ‘till morning. But if you don’t want to stay, don’t forget to lock the door before you leave. And oh yeah! I haven’t introduced myself yet, right? I’m Lee Hongki!”

The smile on your eyes and lips didn’t leave at all. I wonder where you got all those cheerfulness.

“Choi Jonghun,” I responded.

“Nice meeting you Jonghun-ssi!”

I tried to smile but my lips didn’t bulge so I just nodded.

“I’ll be going then. Annyeong!” you reached for the door but paused when I spoke in a whisper.

“Wait, I’m a stranger right? Don’t you distrust me? Aren’t you afraid that I would rob your house?”

You span to my direction and looked around your small apartment. “I think there’s nothing to steal in my place and besides I trust you. I think you’re not that type of person.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“I don’t know I just felt like I could trust you,” you smiled sincerely.

I didn’t answer and with that you bid goodbye and left.

*That was the first time I met you, it was my first time meeting someone like you. I still haven’t realized it back then but it was the day that I started liking you.