Chapter Four: It's Okay to be Sad

A Beautiful Inconvenience

Eli POV:

It was about a week after the first time I met Hyerin downstairs in the middle of the night and I happened to walk down again around midnight. I was having trouble sleeping once again and wanted some tea. When I went down I was surprised to find Hyerin sitting on the couch with her knees pulled up to her chest. I couldn’t really tell, but she seemed to be… crying…? Oh no! Ottokae! I hate crying! I never know what to do! Ah, but I can’t just leave! That’s cruel. Plus I’m really curious as to what happened. And I want to comfort her. I don’t want to see her crying. Wait? What was that feeling? Aish, chincha? I really am falling for her, aren’t I? That’s a classic sign. Wanting to protect her and comfort her when she feels bad. I took a deep breath and stepped forward slightly.

“Hyerin? Are you okay?” I asked. I took another step forward. There was no going back now.

“What?!” She looked up surprised, then quickly looked away, hiding her face. I looked at her; concerned. I sighed to myself and walked over to the couch where she was sitting. I stood infront of her and stared down at her. What do I do now?!?! Ottokae! I’m really bad at this!!!! I began freaking out on the inside. I quickly sat down. I sat there awkwardly for a moment, and then I put a hand on her shoulder.

“Uhh, Hyerin. What is it? Can I help you? What’s wrong? Please tell me.” I said softly. I heard her sniffle slightly and then she choked out a small laugh. She looked up at the wall infront and rested her chin on her knee.

“I-I was just suddenly really sad about Christmas this year. I mean, I’m sure that I’ll have tons of fun here with you guys, but I still miss my friends and family back home. I was just thinking of all the things I would be doing now with them. Like putting up the tree, and shopping for gifts, and wrapping gifts, and… All kinds of stuff…. I just wish I could see them…” She ended and smiled wryly at the wall.

“Oh…” I said. I stopped to think about all of this for a minute. I slowly rubbed her back in a comforting motion. I knew what she was going through, and that first year was the hardest. I mean, UKISS was my family too, but sometimes all you want is a break from all of those loud guys to spend some time with the people you love and grew up with. To have a hug and kiss from your mom, to annoy a sibling and be annoyed by them, to hang out with your dad, and to just catch up with old friends. That’s what I was getting right now, but she sadly couldn’t have that this year. I slowly started talking,

“I’m sorry that you can’t go home for Christmas. I really am. I know what that’s like and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Sometimes just spending time with your family is all you want and need. I’m sorry. But I hope that we can make the best of it and all have fun here, together.” She looked at me and smiled slightly.

“Thank you Eli. You’re really sweet. Thank you for caring. I appreciate it. And I know that we will continue to have tons of fun! I’ll try my best to not let this get me down.” She said.

“Okay, just… If it does start to get you down, don’t hold it in. Tell someone. You-You can talk to me if you want… or Minah, or whoever. We all care for you, so don’t keep it in and cry all alone about it. I’ll be worried.” I couldn’t believe that these words were coming out of my mouth. But I wanted to be there for her; to comfort her. So I just said it. She smiled again.

“Thank you.” She then reached over and hugged me quickly. I was surprised at first and I could tell I blushed slightly.

“Uhh, well,” I stood up, “I guess I’ll just go back to bed now… Sleep well.” I said.

“Ne, you too.” She smiled and I began to walk back to bed.

Aish! This feeling!