Chapter One: Full of Surprises

A Beautiful Inconvenience

Winter break was coming up soon and the city was bustling as it prepared for the holidays. I was on my way to meet my friend when I knocked into someone on accident.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Excuse me.” I said.

“Oh, it’s alright…” I heard him answer. I looked up and almost choked because of the sudden intake of air as I gasped. I started coughing. “Are you all right?” He asked. I just nodded as I continued to stare. Oh. My. Gosh. What was he doing here? My mind was in a jumble. I finally collected myself.

“I’m sorry. I- I was just surprised…. Oh my gosh, I’m sorry. This is embarassing. SorryIhavetogobye!” I rushed my last couple of words together and hurried away. I stopped and leaned up against a wall and tried to catch my breath once I was far enough away. My heart was beating so fast. That was Eli Kim. From UKISS. This is a BIG DEAL. He’s in D.C. now? Maybe he’s visiting his family for the holidays. I know they live here and all… But Oh my gosh! How weird. And embarassing! Gah! I’m such a dork. I slowly trudged on to meet my friend.

I saw that she was already there when I arrived at the café. I walked in and sat down and immediately placed my head down on the table.

“Minah, Ottokae?” I said.

“What?” She asked.

“Minah. Guess who I just met.” I looked up at her and she just stared back. I sighed and sat up again. “Eli. Eli Kim from UKISS. Oh, ottokae! It was so embarassing. I ran into him and then just stared at him because I couldn’t figure out what was happening and what to do! Oh, I’m so weird. That was definatly NOT the impression that I wanted to make with him.” I rambled on. She looked startled.

“Chincha? You saw him? Omo, that’s so exciting! But I’m sorry that you felt like you were weird.” She sympathized. Just then she got a call. “Yobuseyo? Ne! Oppa! Hi!” They continued to talk for a moment, and then hung up. “Well, on a completly diferent note, my brother’s home! Do you want to come meet him?” She asked me.

“Uhh, sure.” I smiled. I noticed the strange way she said that, but just ignored it. She’s a strange person… We quickly gathered our stuff and headed towards her house.

 

Eli POV:

She blushed as she ran off. I wonder what happened. She should have stayed. I wanted to talk to her. I sighed. Well, there goes that… I pulled out my phone and called my sister.

“Yobuseyo?” She answered.

“Hey.”

“Oh, Oppa!~ Hi!”

“Ne, annyeong! I’m heading home now. I hope to see you there.” I said.

“Ne! I’m so happy you’re here! I’ll be heading home right now!” I laughed,

“Ne, thanks. I’ll see you soon.”

“Okay,”

“Oh, and sis,”

“Hmm?”

“I don’t know, maybe this will sound weird, but I just feel like I need to tell someone.”

“Ne?”

“I just met the most interessting girl.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I mean, it was weird, but she was amazing. Perect. But then she ran away before I could really talk to her, but I really wish I had been able to. She was beautiful…” I trailed off.

“Oh, I’m sorry Oppa.” I laughed slightly.

“It’s okay. Maybe I’ll be lucky and meet her again.”

“Ne, lets hope so. Hmm, but I’ll see you in a few minutes!”

“Okay, bye.” I hung up the phone and began to make my way home. It’d been so long, and I was so glad to be back, even if it was only for a little while.

 

Minah POV:

I just about died when Hyerin told me what happened. Eli Kim!?!? Really?! And then my brother called to say he was in D.C. and on his way home. And then he happened to mention something about a girl he had just met. And the story had seemed oh-so-familiar. It was the same story that Hyerin had just told me, only moments before. He was sad because she had run off before he could really meet her. He was hoping to get the chance to see her again. Ha! What a surprise they’re both in for. I grinned evilly as I realized all of this.

 

Hyerin POV:

We hurried over to Minah’s house. I could have sworn that at one point when I looked over at her she had this strange evil grin on her face. But then I looked again and it was gone…

We arrived and walked in the door,

“I’m home~!” Minah called, “And Hyerin’s with me!~” She skipped forward and then a young man ran through the door toward her and grabbed her for a hug. I hung back, still standing in the doorway. I still didn’t understand why she had brought me with her. Especially since I knew it had been awhile since she had seen her brother. He had been living in Korea or something… Honestly, she’s never really told me much about him…  I don’t even know his name…

Just then they pulled apart and I saw his face for the first time. Oh my gosh! You have got to be kidding me. Standing before me was none other than THE Eli Kim.

 

I looked over at Minah, then back at Eli. By this time he had noticed me too. Recognition flashed across his face. He smiled brightly then looked at Minah, slightly confused, then back at me. Minah was beaming, obviously happy about how things had turned out. She grabbed Eli and dragged him over towards me.

“Eli, I want you to meet my friend Hyerin. Hyerin, meet my brother Eli.” She smiled sweetly, looking between the two of us intently.

“Umm, Hi,” I said, bowing slightly in embarassment. He bowed back.

“Hey,” He smiled, “I’ve met you before, haven’t I?” He asked casually. I blushed, remembering our clumsy first meeting.

“Ne,” I said, smiling slightly. He could tell I was blushing too. He smiled,

“Well, I had hoped I would get to talk to you more. You ran away so quickly…”

“Oh, sorry.” I mumbled. He had wanted to talk to me?? Why?

 

Just then Minah’s parents walked in to greet me.

“Hi Hyerin. I see you’ve met Eli.” Mr. Kim smiled proudly towards his son, obviously happy to have him back home.

“Ne.~” I said. They smiled. I was suddenly left feeling extremely awkward, confused, and uncomfortable. “Umm, well, I‘m just going to go now and let you all catch up…” I said, backing towards the door.

“No, you don’t have to-“

“Yeah, I should.” I checked the time. “Yeah, I have to go… Study for a final… Bye!” I quickly left. Well, it hadn’t been a lie. I did need to study. I just hadn’t planned on doing it now. I sighed as I headed towards the library. When I arrived I sat down and put my head down.

Oh, like I could study after all of this.