9

Neighbors

 

"You know, you never told me about having a sibling before."

Inyoung looked up from her books with Hoya staring right down at her while sitting in the seat just across hers.

She closed her books and rested her arms on top of them, "He was my twin brother."

 

//

 

"I was having my final year examinations that year and I was just so busy.

His name was Taewun. We were inseparable. But unlike me, Taewun hated school. He would do really badly for his tests which ended up getting scolded by father over and over. 

 

And before I knew it, we weren't close anymore. He wouldn't tell me anything, and even ignoring me. I would give him talks about studying harder, giving him tuitions, everything. Once, I went to knock on his room door which was opened. I called him name and he screamed at me for going in without his permission. I found it weird but I didn't tell my parents. Until one day when I saw him leaving the school with a bunch of boys whom I heard that had bad reputations. I followed them, myself.

 

They ended up at a 10-story carpark ground, top floor. I stayed behind some wall and I could overhear them saying names of drugs and cough syrup. I didn't wanted to believe that my brother was doing drugs, I just couldn't. But it was too late, before I knew it, they were already high. I couldn't take it so I ran out and shouted at them. His friends took everything and ran away before I could even scold them further. Taewun, he was standing at the edge of the building, balancing himself. 

 

I cried and begged for him to come down but all I got for a reply was, 'I hate you. I hate how omma and appa only likes you when we're twins. I hate how I can't be good in school like you do. I hate how you're treating me so nicely even though I treat you like . STOP TREATING ME SO NICE, INYOUNG. I'M NOT WORTH YOUR TIME. I'M NOT WORTH ANYONE'S TIME!' I approached him slowly, trying to get him back safely on ground. 'Taewun-ah, you're worth everyone's time, you know that? People smile because you bring happiness to their lives. Omma and appa loves both of us just the same, and they're waiting for us at home right now. So please, get down from there and let's go home together,okay?'

 

He wiped his tears and stretched out a hand which I held tight onto, but then he fell on his back which send him flying off the building. I really tried, I swear I did! But I wasn't strong enough to hold onto him. And I can never forget the last words he told me before he fell, 'You're the only child they'll ever love from now on.' The smile he had on his face when he fell. I blamed myself since then because I was stressing him too much, I wasn't showing more concern towards him, I wasn't doing well as a sibling, I wasn't-"

 

//

 

"Stop."

Inyoung lifted up her tear-filled face to look at Hoya.

"Inyoung, you were never to blame for your brother's death, do you hear me. Don't ever think it that way. You love your brother and he loves you too."

The girl couldn't stop crying so Hoya walked over and took the seat beside her before pulling her into his embrace.

"He's watching right now, Inyoung. Taewun wouldn't want to see his favourite sister crying, would he?"

Inyoung shook her head and took a deep scent of Hoya, "You smell good, oppa."

"And you're random."

"I can't thank you enough, Howon-oppa. I really can't. I never told anyone about Taewun before, not even Yongguk knows."

"Now, now. Away with the sad stuff. We're on a date! And I'm feeding you because you're as skinny as bones."

Hoya Inyoung's hair as she starts picking up the fork and roll the spaghetti, "Just eat."

 

When they took the bus back to Inyoung's house, Inyoung fell asleep on Hoya's shoulder.

He had his grip tight on her hand as he curled a strand of hair behind her ears.

"I will become the great oppa I didn't got to be those years back, Inyoung. I will."

Hoya gave a light kiss on Inyoung's cheek which made her smile in her sleep.

 

"You can go home now, Howon-oppa. I'll take good care of myself."

"You know, you haven't let me in your house before. Are you hiding something? Are you hiding another man?", Hoya raised his brow.

"What?! No. It's just, messy."

"I'm sure it's better than mine so, open up."

Inyoung shrugged her shoulders, "Why not? Omma and appa are probably not at-"

"Hi Inyoung, you're home early today. And, hello young man-whom-seems-familiar-but-I-don't-know?", her father said at the end of the stairs.

"Appa? I thought you and omma wouldn't be home till dinner."

"We got tired so we came home earlier. Why? Were you two planning on something?"

Inyoung blushed immediately while waving her hands and Hoya could only laugh.

"So, mister. May I know who you are?"

Hoya stopped laughing and bowed, "Hello, I'm Lee Howon. We've met before, abonim."

"Howon? Oh, lord!"

Inyoung's father stood in front of Hoya and looked at him from head to toe, left to right.

"Appa, you're scaring oppa."

He then turned to Inyoung, "Are you two dating?"

Hoya then took Inyoung's hand and raised it, "Yes, we are. And it's my pleasure to have finally be able to meet you again, abonim."

The two men let Inyoung rest in her room while they talked in living room.

"I see you've grown into a fine young man, Howon."

"Well, it's been many years. About time that I have to look manly to take care of Inyoung, right?"

"Our Inyoung hasn't dated before, Howon. I would be happy if you don't hurt her, break her heart, anything. Don't break her. I don't think she can take another blow ever since her-"

"I know. She told me this morning, abonim."

"S-she told you?"

Shocked knowing that Inyoung was able to tell that matter to someone.

And if she was able to tell someone, she must really trust that person.

Inyoung's father smiled, "How well can I trust my daughter with you?"

"Abonim, I've wasted too much time not being to spend time with Inyoung ever since I've moved to Seoul. I want to spend every single day with her till whenever it will be. I have realised that she doesn't open up to a lot people, and not easily. And if I can be one of those whom she opens up to, and be comfortable with, I want to to do that job well. As her boyfriend, as her listening ear, someone for her to lean on."

He took Hoya's hand, "Please take good care of our Inyoung then, Howon."

"Uhm, appa. Why are you holding on to oppa's hand?"

The two men looked up the stairs and Inyoung was staring weirdly at them.

"Ahem.", he lets go and walks into the kitchen, "It's my turn to make dinner tonight. You're staying, aren't you, Howon?"

"But appa, Howon-oppa-"

"Yes, abonim. I can't wait to taste your skills."