12

Neighbors

“Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! You’re doing this all wrong, Yongguk! From the top!”

Yongguk took a deep breath and he hears the music playing again.

“5, 6, 7, 8!”, the instructor shouted.

 

“That’s all for today, remember to practice whatever we learnt today and we’ll continue from there tomorrow.”

The students mumbled a yes and the instructor left the room.

Yongguk laid on the floor with his arms spread out wide, “Enlighten me why are we doing this when we’re rappers?”

“Because these guys here wants to form a group and we somehow got dragged along.”, Himchan sent daggers at Daehyun and Youngjae.

“You could’ve said no if you guys didn’t want in. We didn’t point a gun at you to agree, hyung.”

“Is that how you talk to your hyung now, you bastard. Stay right there and don’t move.”

Himchan stood up only to be stopped by Yongguk, “Give them a break, everyone’s tired. Look at the two youngest. They’re breathing, right?”

Jongup and Zelo was laying flat facing the ground, not moving. 

“Up, Lo!”, Himchan shouted and they sat up right away, “Pack your bags, I’ll drive you guys home.”

“Us too, right, Channie-hyung?” Youngjae ran to his side and Himchan rolled his eyes.

“Everyone, in my car, let’s go.”

“You guys can go without me, I rode my bike to school today.”

The younger males looked at their leader with a worried face, “Are you sure? You’ve had a long day, I can just drive you home.”

“No way am I squeezing into that small and smelly car of yours. Go on, don’t have to worry about me.”

“Alright, I know I seem like a possessive girlfriend now but give me a text when you’ve reached home safely.”

Yongguk wanted to laugh but when he saw the serious look Himchan had on his face, he nodded.

 

//

 

Yongguk left the studio and walked towards the direction of the carpark.

9pm and the school was pretty empty.

Since it was a Friday, students left even earlier to start their weekends.

He heard some loud music playing and got curious, so he followed where the music was coming from.

It was coming from another studio that was just two blocks away from where they had practiced.

Yongguk peeked through the small window and regretted, Hoya and Inyoung.

That was when he remembered, Himchan had told him that Hoya and Inyoung will be doing a dance performance for the festival too.

He peeked in again and watched them dancing really close to each other, that’s when he decided to leave.

 

Yongguk continued his way to the carpark with questions in his head.

Putting on the helmet, he found his bike and started the engine before driving off.

He hasn’t seen Inyoung in ages and he couldn’t lie that she definitely got prettier and better in her dancing too.

When he saw her earlier, he wanted to go near her and ask if she was doing fine.

But no, he hasn’t talked to her for almost a year.

Ever since he shut her out from his world, shut them out from his world.

The only friends he had were the guys whom he practiced with earlier.

And it would be weird if he suddenly goes up to her and hugged her, telling her how much he missed her.

Hoya was there, he would’ve probably give Yongguk a punch across his face and it would hurt, bad.

/HONK HONK/

Questions continue to filled Yongguk’s mind and he didn’t hear someone screaming his name.

/HONK HONK HONK HONK/

“YONGGUK!”

Yongguk was thrown off his bike and landed a few metres away.

“, he’s bleeding. I’ll call the ambulance. Stay here, okay.”

“Yongguk? Can you hear me? Yongguk? Guk?”

Her worried face was right in front of him, and he felt something wet on his cheeks.

She was crying.

“Stay with me, Guk. Hang in there, Howon-oppa called for the ambulance. Oh god, he’s bleeding furiously, oppa!”

Inyoung’s crying face was the last thing Yongguk saw before he out.

 

//

 

Beep, beep, beep.

The smell of hospital disgusted Inyoung.

She never liked being at the hospital, ever.

It reminded her of things she wished she would never get reminded of.

“Inyoung!”

Himchan came running with sweat dripping from the sides of his face.

“Himchan-oppa, breathe. Just breathe. And take a sit.”

“I was wondering what took Yongguk so long to reach home because I told him to send me a text when he has reached home but I got none. I should dragged him to my car, I shouldn’t have let him ride his bike home knowing how tired he was from dance practice earlier. It’s all my fault.”

“It was nobody’s fault, oppa. Accidents happens and it can’t be prevented. Stop blaming yourself, because I know Yongguk wouldn’t be blaming you too.”

Himchan was the closest friend Yongguk ever had since they knew they attended the same university.

“Bang Yongguk’s parents or guardians?”, a nurse came out of a room with a clipboard in her hands as she looked around.

Inyoung and Himchan got on their feets and went over, “We’re his friends, his father is on his way here, can we see Yongguk now?”

“Unfortunately, Yongguk-sshi is currently in a coma state. And we can’t do any other checks until he wakes up. We have cleaned up the wounds and checked his heartbeat, it’s normal and I’m pretty sure he’ll wake up soon. You guys may go in a see him now, but please don’t make so much noise. It’s best to talk to him while any of you is by his side, it’s one of the ways patients wakes up most to, their loved ones’ voices.”

The nurse bowed and left before Himchan and Inyoung hurried into the room to see Yongguk lying on the hospital bed with his head wrapped up and a cast on his right leg, also his left arm.

“He got knocked pretty bad. I almost fainted when I saw the truck making him fly. Luckily Howon-oppa called the ambulance in time.”

“Talking about your boyfriend, where is he?”

“I told him to go home first, because I probably will be here for some time. I can’t not worry about Yongguk, seeing him like this.”

The door to the room slid open and Yongguk’s father walked in quietly, “How’s everything? Is my son alright?”

Both of them assured him that Yongguk is strong and will wake up soon.

After Himchan left, Inyoung was in the corridor with Yongguk’s father. 

“Inyoung-ah, there’s something I’ll need you to do for me. It’s big but I’m sure you’ll do a really good job.”

“What is it, abonim?”

“I’m flying to China for a company meeting with another colleague tomorrow, and I’ll be back only a month or two later. Meanwhile, would you mind taking care of Yongguk for me?”

Inyoung blinked, “But abonim, I don’t know if you know about this but Yongguk and I hasn’t been talking for almost a year. More like he hasn’t talked to me or any of us for a year.”

“I know.”, he rested a hand on top of Inyoung’s, “That’s something he’ll have to tell you himself. And I know no matter what, you still care for Yongguk, right?”

And he was right, Inyoung did care for Yongguk.

When she sees him in school, she would wonder if he was doing fine.

When she sees his movement in his room from hers, she would do her drawing on her wall like she always does.

She hoped, he could’ve said a simple ‘hello’ at least when they see each other in school, but Yongguk always turned the other way when they see each other.

And Inyoung never, ever, knew why.

“You’re the only one I can put my trust into now, Inyoung. Our relatives are all staying really far from Seoul, so I can’t make them come over.”

“I understand, abonim. I’ll do it, and I’ll get my parents to help too. They love Yongguk anyway, we’ll take really good care of him for you. And if there’s anything, I’ll give you a call right away.”

 

//

 

Tenth day since the accident happened and Yongguk still hasn’t woken up.

Inyoung has brought fresh flowers she gotten at the market at 6am.

Slowly, she adjusted the flowers nicely in the vase that Hoya had bought over.

Then, she opened the curtains a little, letting the sun ray shine through, lighting up the entire room.

She then pulled a chair and sat beside Yongguk’s bed, staring at his face, wishing he would wake up, now.

 

“Guk, I know you hear me. I know you hear everyone who has been in this room and talked to you, wishing you would’ve woken up when they were here. And I do too. Everyone misses you a lot, especially your boys. They come every single day to the point where everyone on this floor already recognises them.”

She laughed when she remembered seeing Zelo on his skateboard in the corridor while getting chased by the nurses and doctors asking him to stop right away.

“I got to know them better when they were here, we talked about, you.”

Inyoung gently took Yongguk hand into hers and looked at his fingers, “Your nails have grown, let me give you a nice grooming then.”

When she managed to find a nail clipper somewhere in her bag, she takes his right hand before moving the clipper to his thumb.

“Here I go.”, she stuck out her tongue and concentrate. 

“Okay, but please don’t cut my finger.”

“Got it.”

Inyoung froze, then moved her head to see if she was dreaming.

But no, Yongguk’s eyes was slightly opened, and his ever gentle smile was on his face, while looking right at her.

“Good morning.”, he gave her another smile.

Inyoung dropped everything and ran out of the room to get anyone before running back into the room hoping that whatever she saw earlier was real.

And it was, because Yongguk was rubbing his eyes before moving his hands slowly to look at his nails.

The doctor in charge and nurses ran over to give him a check right away while Inyoung made a phone call to Yongguk’s father, Himchan and the rest of the members of their group, her own parents, Hoya, Chorong and Eunji.

 

After about 10 minutes, the doctor and nurses came out.

“He’s perfectly fine now, we’ll be starting to do our full check up with him tomorrow if he’s feeling fine. You may go in now.”

“Thank you so much, doctor!”, Inyoung shook his hand and ran in to see Yongguk sitting up with his back on his pillow that was upright. 

Inyoung stood at the door, not believing what she was seeing is true.

Yongguk raised a brow before waving her over, and she dragged her feet over to him.

“Do you hate me? Why are you dragging your feet? Come over here.”

When she did, she gave him the best hug she has ever given to anyone because, “I missed you so much.”

Yongguk smiled and her head, “I do too. Now, please loosen up, I’m still the patient.”

Inyoung sat on a space on the bed where Yongguk gave her, “Now, please continue to cut my nails and tell me what have I missed.”