13

Neighbors

“Tadah!!!!! Home sweet home!”

Yongguk was on his clutches and hopping on one leg into the house.

“Why am I in your house?”

Inyoung helped Yongguk to the couch and they sat down.

“Because me and my parents are going to start taking care of you from today onwards.”

“But I can take care of myself-“

“NO, are you crazy? In this state? Hell right am I gonna believe you can take care of yourself.”, she laughed and Yongguk pushed her with his good arm.

“I promised your dad I would take care of you until he gets back, or at least till you get better.”

“Won’t I be too much of an burden?”

“What are you saying! My parents loves you and they would love to do it, okay? Talking about my parents, they should be coming home soon.”

 

Right then, Inyoung’s parents opened the door and beamed when they saw Yongguk on the couch.

“Aigo our dearest Yongguk is finally here. Come and give me a hug.”, Inyoung’s mother said.

“Mother, he just got back from the hospital?”

Her mother then ran over to Yongguk and gave him a hug.

“Well, now that you guys are here! I shall get going.”, Inyoung got up from her seat and Yongguk’s eyes followed her.

“Where are you heading?”

“Getting some clothes for you from your house and also going to my apartment to grab some belongings back to take care of you. See you later.”

 

//

 

“Inyoung has a apartment?”, Yongguk asked after Inyoung left the house.

“She didn’t tell you?”

“We haven’t exactly talked in a long time.”

“Oh, well now you know. It’s not hers entirely.”

“There’s someone else?”, thinking that it would be Eunji or Chorong or both.

“It’s Hoya.”

“H-hoya?”

Inyoung’s mother nodded, “Hoya bought the apartment last christmas and gave Inyoung a surprise, saying they should move in together. And Inyoung ended up paying half of it.”

“Oh.”, was all he could say.

“Come on, I’ll cook and you can come watch at the dining table. And we’ll just wait until Inyoung gets back before we start dinner.”

 

10 minutes later, the house phone rang and Inyoung’s father picked up.

“Hmm, okay. You talk it out with him. Take as long as you want, just call back when you’re done. Hmm, we’ll do.”

Inyoung’s father walked back to the dining table, “Was that Inyoung?”

“Yeah, she said Hoya isn’t really happy about her coming back so they argued. But she said she’s gonna talk it out with him.”

“We’ll keep some food for her then. Yongguk-ah, you must be famished, start eating.”

Inyoung’s mother gave his shoulders a squeeze, “She’ll be fine, let’s eat.”

 

//

 

“I’m home!”

Inyoung literally threw her belongings and a bag she found in Yongguk’s room with some clothes in it on the floor.

“You’re back? I’ll heat the food for you.”

“I’ll do it myself, omma. You should go to bed, you have work later.”

“Then, alright. Take care of Yongguk, okay? Help him if he needs any.”

“I will.”

 

5 minutes later, Yongguk came hopping out of the bathroom.

“Anyone?”, he spoke out.

“Guk? Give me a second!”

And Inyoung came rushing from the kitchen, “Need a hand?”

“Yeah, I can’t walk far without my clutches.”

Inyoung took Yongguk’s good arm and rested around her shoulder before putting her arm around his waist for balance.

She then sat him at the dining table, “I wanted to go the couch?”

“But you gotta sit here and talk to me while I eat.”

Yongguk rolled his eyes, “Since when are you such a child?”

“Since the day you know me, how hard is it for you to sit here and talk to me.”

“So, I heard your boyfriend wasn’t happy?”

“He was just being a kid. He was okay with it after I talked to him.”

“Why wasn’t he happy?”

Inyoung swallowed her food, “It’s stupid because I’m supposed to be doing breakfast for us for the rest of the week, but now that I’m back here, he has to get his own breakfast.”

“That’s all?”

Inyoung raised her brow, “What did you think was it about?”

“Nothing. Yeah, nothing.”

When Inyoung was done eating and washing of the dishes, she helped Yongguk to his room.

“Right now, you can sleep in here. The bathroom is just opposite of your room, so it’s more convenient for you too, yeah?”

Yongguk nodded, “I have a bell here for you, ring it if you need any help.”

“And you’ll come and rescue me even if you’re deep asleep?”

“Uh, yeah?”

“But everyone knows you don’t wake up even if a speaker is at full blast right at your ear.”

“Yah!”, she threw a pillow at him, “Fine, be like that. I won’t save you if anything happens, goodnight!”

Inyoung slammed the door in Yongguk’s face, but opened it a second later.

“Really, ring the bell if you need help. Goodnight.”

 

//

 

And for that almost one entire week, Inyoung got used like a maid by Yongguk.

Helping with him all sort of stuff that he needed help with, but she didn't complaint a bit.

“Inyoung? Inyoung-ah~”

He could now go up and down the stairs with a little more force, so he ended up outside her room.

“Inyoung?”, he knocked but there was no response, “I’m coming in.”

He turned the knob and her room was in his view, it was his first.

Then, he saw the wall.

That plain wall when they just moved in was now filled with Inyoung’s drawings.

And a portion of it, was all the shadows of Yongguk.

“What are you doing here?”, Inyoung appeared at the door.

“Are all these, me?”

“Yes, and?”

“Why did you draw me?”

She sat on the bed and shrugged, “I guess I found it fascinating that I could see my neighbour’s shadow every night but never once met him for the first year I was here. I stopped after I found out it was you.”

“These are amazing.”, he looked at the remaining of her drawings, “I never knew you could draw like this.”

“That’s because you were never around when we had exhibitions.”

“We have exhibitions for art students?”

“Every 3-4 months! I invited you before and you would always tell me how you’re busy with practices and dates and something I don’t even remember.”

He suddenly remembered, “I’m sorry, I-“

Inyoung waved him off, “I’ve had enough of sorry. Let’s head out, the weather today is great. You can walk, right?”

Yongguk nodded and they left the house after getting a change of clothes.

 

Hoya was leaning against his car and pressing his phone when Inyoung and Yongguk walked out of the house.

“Oppa!”, Inyoung screamed and almost forgetting about Yongguk was right behind her.

She went over and hugged Hoya who returned a tight squeeze.

“Hey, pretty.”, he then looked over to Yongguk, “What’s up!”

Yongguk finally reached the car after much difficulty and Inyoung helped him to the front seat.

“But you’re supposed to sit here.”

Inyoung shook her head, “The space here’s much wider, I can just sit at the back, no worries.”

After everyone has fastened their seat belts, Yongguk asked, “So where are we going?”

“Howon-oppa’s free today so I asked if he could drive us around, also, we can hang out together. You two never really got to know each other, right?”

“Inyoung kept telling me how her two bestest guy friends should hang out more.”, Hoya rolled his eyes and Inyoung caught him.

“Did you just rolled your eyes at me!”, she kicked his seat, “How dare you!”

“Please control her when I start to drive, or we should’ve tied her up.”, and the two guys shared a laughter.

“This outing is a bad idea.”, Inyoung sulked in her seat.

“You planned it.”, the two guys said in the front and high fived each other.