Chapter 1

Neighbors

 

 

 

Inyoung's father drove the two of them to a store just 5 minutes drive away from their apartment.

Inyoung looked at the signboard before turning her head and asked, "Why are we here?"

"Your birthday is coming up in a few days. And I know you'll be having a sleepover with your friends. What's a sleepover without some movies?"

"Gah!!!! I love you, Appa!"

She scrambled down the car and stood in front of the store, impatiently waiting for the sliding door to be opened.

Once it was opened, she searched high and low for the category that she was looking for.

"Welcome to ------------", an enthusiastic voice said.

Inyoung ignored the teenager and went straight to the shelves.

Her father just followed behind before going to look at some discs himself.

 

After of what it seems like 10 minutes, a pile of horror films was stacked in front of the teenager.

Inyoung thens hove her card to the teenager, "Please settle this for me quick. Before my-"

"Inyoung? You're done choosing already?"

".", the teenager looked at Inyoung then at her father, slightly amused.

"What did you choose?" 

Inyoung moved aside as her father looks at the amount of horror films she chose.

"You said it was for my birthday, so  thought I choose what I wanted."

"You're young. Why do you want to watch these? I found some of the cartoon films for you back there."

"Dad, I'm turning 16, not 12."

"But these will give you nightmares."

She gave up, "Choose whatever you want. I'm out.", and left the store.

"Inyoung! Park Inyoung!"

The poor father was left with a pile of DVDs which he didn't know what to do about.

 

He then looked at the teenager standing behind the counter.

"Young man?"

The older man's voice startled him and stopped whatever he was doing, "Yes, Sir?"

"What do you think I should do?"

"I'll be honest, Sir. Since it's your daughter's birthday and she's turning 16. I don't find it a problem of her watching these. She likes these, right?"

"Loves them."

"That's it. She'll definitely have the best birthday if you rent these for her, Sir."

The older an smiled and thanked the teenager.

"I'll rent all of these then."

The teenager held out the bag of DVDs and the card Inyoung previously shoved to him to the older man.

"Please come again!"

Before he left, he turned back and looked at the teenager again.

"What's your name?"

"Yongguk. Bang Yongguk, Sir."

He bowed to the older man as he left.

 

And Yongguk was right, Inyoung did have the best birthday ever.

She couldn't contain her excitement when she saw the bag of DVDs on her study table the day of her birthday party.

"Welcome to ---------", Yongguk looked up and saw the familiar girl.

"Hi, I'm here to return these?"

She handed him the bag and he took it from her, "Just hold on a second."

As his fingers were getting busy on the keyboard, "Did you enjoyed the movies?"

Taken aback by a stranger's questions, she stuttered while answering.

"U-uh, yeah. I did."

"Your father really dotes you. He asked for my opinion the other day before renting them."

"So you were the one that convinced him. He never liked it when I watch these because he said I'm still young and I'm a girl. It's not like I'm watching , right?"

Yongguk choked on his saliva, "Uh, yeah. Here you go. This is our membership card, you can earn points each time you rent from us. I'll need your name."

"Inyoung. Park Inyoung."

He then went on typing on his computer and turned back few minutes later with a card in his hand.

"Please come again!". he showed his gummy smile which Inyoung never thought existed. 

She didn't know someone's gummy smile could make her feel this way.

Butterflies in the stomach, if that's what people say.

"What's your name?", she asks.

He then showed her his signature smiled again, "Yongguk. Bang Yongguk."

"Yongguk-sshi? I'll remember that. Thank you.", she shoved the card in her pockets and left the store.

 

Inyoung got into a minor accident during Christmas that year.

It was't serious, but they made her stay at the hospital for safety purpose.

"I'll just go rent some movies for you.", her father kissed the top of her head before leaving

Her father came back earlier than she expected.

"Inyoung, I think ------- is under renovation or they've moved. It was closed when I went there. The shutter was down."

"Yongguk moved?"

He was a friend she made just few months ago and now he was gone?

"I don't know, honey. But I'm sure if you guys are meant to be with each other, you'll see him again soon."

He assured her with a smile and she just nod.

 

Recovery took place faster than anyone expected.

The nurses and doctors were impressed at how quickly her wounds were healing, so they decided to discharge her earlier.

When she got home later that day, all she saw were boxes here and there.

"What's all these?"

Her mother came out of the storeroom with a smaller box in hand, "We're moving."

But this was the place she has been since birth, and she loved it here.

"Where?"

"Gangnam, honey. There's a few good universities for you to choose from in the future.", she Inyoung's hair before leaving to pack other things.

"Get some rest before start packing your room. Let me know if there's not enough boxes."

Inyoung sat on the couch, thoughts ran through her head.

But what if the shop Yongguk works at opens again and she's gonna be all the way at Gangnam.

Does that mean they don't get to see each other anymore?

Now she regret not getting his contact number from the start.

"And you should start soon, dear. We don't have much time", her mother's voice broke her thoughts.

"Coming."

 

Her close friends were devastated when they knew she was moving.

But Inyoung told them that she'll visit when she had the time.

Gangnam was different, so much different than where she previously stayed at.

"And we're here.", her father stopped the car and in front of them was a pretty blue terrace.

"This is our house?", Inyoung couldn't believed that this pretty house was now theirs.

"Your father set his eyes on this house when he first saw it. He knew you would love it as much as we do. Now go on in and look at your room. Go up the stairs, and the one on the left.", her mother hurried her and she as she was told.

Inyoung couldn't believed her eyes.

One part of the room was painted teal in colour while the others remained white.

"We know you always wanted to draw and paint your own things in your room. So we asked the painters to have the other walls white for you to draw and paint on."

"Really, Omma? I can do that?", and she watched her mother nod before running over and hug her.

"But before you do, help us unpack first."

"Yes, Madam!"

 

It was almost dinner time but they were barely done with unpacking.

Inyoung suggested that she'll head out to get some dinner, and also be familiarize with the neighborhood.

"Be careful. Ask around if you're unsure.", they told her.

Once she stepped out of the house, she took a deep breath.

"Hmmmm, the fresh air of Gangnam.", she smiled as she saw a couple jogging with a dog each by their side.

They smiled at her and she smiled back.

"Time for some adventure.", she rubbed her hands as the cold air hits her.

 

"Food, food, food.", she looked around and stopped in tracks when she thought she saw someone familiar.

But ignored it when she saw the person gets lost in the sea of people.

After walking around for 10 minutes, she didn't seem to see any places that sells food so she decided to ask.

"Just walk straight and turn right, you'll see an entire street filled with eateries."

Inyoung thanked the ahjumma before hurrying herself to get dinner.

She ended up buying almost what was half on the menu.

"Are you sure you can carry these home, young girl?"

She nodded, "I'll enjoy them, thank you!"

She heaved a sigh of relieve when she finally the blue house come in sight.

She placed the bags of food down in front of the door before digging for the keys in her pocket.

"Yongguk!", someone shouted and she looked up but there was no one.

It could be someone else, she shrugged slightly and went in after.

 

"Yongguk!", the girl continued to follow him.

"Stop following me."

"But I want to be friends."

He turned and look at the girl, "Just go."

The girl's eyes watered but he didn't care and left her standing there.

He opened the door to his house and his father was sitting on the couch flipping through the newspaper.

"Back from work?"

"Don't even mention about it. Some crazy girl came and made lots of noise. Ahjumma made me leave and never go back again."

"Well, on the bright side, you'll get a new job soon."

Yongguk stopped removing his shoes and looked at the older man.

"I found a great place to open the store, son."

"Please tell me you'll hire more people."

"As a matter of fact, I will. But you need to help out, okay?"

"Of course."

"Oh, by the way. I think we have new neighbor. They moved in just this afternoon."

"Have you seen them?"

He shook his head, "But I heard they have a daughter around your age."

"Appa, not again."

"I'm planning for your future, son."

"Yawn, I'm tired. Good night, Appa. Sleep early too, okay?"

And Yongguk escaped to his room.

 

He the lights and sat on the edge of his bed.

The lights of the room opposite of his lit up and he watched as the backview of a girl faces him.

He lets out a laugh when he thought back to his father trying to set them up together, even when he didn't know who the girl was.

 

 

---------