Cracking the Ice

Blame

 

 

 

 

 

If anyone was going to get through to his dongsaeng, then it would be his job.

Seunghyun looked down at the file and tried to prepare for the task ahead. In his mind, the plan had seemed incredibly simple: he will go with the talk. For as long as it took for the facts to sink in and become a reality.

But it didn't help that Seungri had totally refused to acknowledge him, since their father's dramatic exit from the room. Seungri wouldn't even look at him, but just stared blankly at the wall.

Seunghyun wasn't about to be deterred by such a minor detail. Though his younger brother might not want to look, he couldn't avoid listening.

His dark eyes scanned the first page, taking in the information and forming a cohesive argument in his head. Reading impersonally from the page wasn't going to cut it. He had to have the facts organised and in the right order, so that there could be no doubt and no room for argument. He had to present the evidence as irrefutable – so as to break through not only Arashi's brainwashing, but also Seungri's own inherent stubbornness.

He frowned faintly as he read the file – and he futilely wished for more time to prepare for this.

But time was one commodity he did not have and so, as prepared as he possibly could be, he began to talk.

However, none of the words provoked so much as a hint of a reaction from his younger brother; not even when Seunghyun – stumbling over the words – mentioning the "female passenger pronounced dead at the scene".

He glance at Seungri and unable to believe that his younger brother didn't even blink at the impersonal, almost cold-blooded pronouncement. He felt despair begin to stir in his gut. If that couldn't get through to Seungri then he didn't know what would – no matter how many times they repeated themselves to him.

This was so hard. He hadn't anticipated how doing this would affect him personally. And, without even a hint of any success, it was almost impossible to find the reasons to put himself through such agony.

He keep looking at his younger brother– and he found all the motivation he needed.

He had made vows and promises – and all of them had centred around Seungri.

With a reaffirmed sense of resolve – but still hoping for some sort of inspiration – Seunghyun flipped the paper over while his eyes scanned the report.

 

 

 

This is just a bust of report and what he need is a reaction, a response, anything to prove to him that he was getting somewhere – even if that somewhere was only the smallest of baby-steps.

Seunghyun take a picture, the one his father had slapped onto the table earlier. He hold the picture in one hand and leant over the table towards his younger brother. He leant in so close that their faces were almost touching.

"Can you noticed what's missing, Seungri? Seunghyun let his voice raise; let his frustration feed his temper, which was normally held so carefully in check. He waved the picture in front of his younger brother's face. It was the picture taken at the scene of the accident.

"There is no pole, Seungri!" He was shouting now and he slapped the picture into his younger brother's face. "Look carefully! There is no pole!"

And, finally, the desolate brown eyes were forced to focus.

Seungri jerked his head back, but Seunghyun was relentless and followed his movement – forcing him to really look.

Tears filled Seungri’s eyes, but even that was not enough to make Seunghyun back off. As much as it devastated him to do so – to cause his own brand of hurt on his younger brother, who had already suffered more than anyone ever should – he had to make sure his point had been forced.

"Look!" He was out of his seat now as he tried to force Seungri to see. "THERE IS NO POLE!"

"Sss--SSstop!" Seungri tried to surge to his feet, but Officer JaeSuk has blocked his way and he didn't have any route of escape.

"STOP!"

Seunghyun's heart skipped at the pleading note of Seungri's voice, but he ruthlessly clamped down on his compassion. As much as this hurt, it was a necessary evil.

"Now, I want you to tell me what you don’t see." He forced calmness into his voice, belied by the fact that he couldn't calm his heavy breathing.

"Tell me."He sat down and, pushed the picture again.

Seungri begin to cry and Seunghyun hate himself – but he also couldn't help but feel a small flash of joy. But guilt swiftly followed. His younger brother’s pain should never be a cause of happiness for him – and most especially when he had been the one to inflict it.

Not knowing exactly how he should be feeling, he again looked to his best friend for guidance. The cop had no verbal assurances to offer – only a small smile; a silent 'well done'.

But to Seunghyun, that smile was worth a thousand words.

 

 

 

The feeling in the interrogation room was so intense that neither brother noticed when their father was in the room.

He had witness the first breakthrough; the first significant crack in the armour his younger son had barricaded around himself.

It was a heady, disturbing mix emotion – and Hyunsuk didn't quite know which feeling he should allow to rise. But this one feeling had within him – the predominant feeling was of absolute and utter pride. Pride in both of his sons.

It was the one thing Arashi had forgotten – or, at least, had underestimated:

His sons and their unique bond they shared.

He had this thought many times – and now he had witness it. Both of his sons were even closer than any twins who had shared the same womb.

Even strangers had told him about their bond. More than once he had been told it was strange that they looked so unalike because, surely, they had to be twins. And that always made him smile.

Yes, they were unalike – both in looks and personality. They were like sun and moon; day and night; turbulence and calm; instinct and logic. Won’t complete without one other.

Hyunsuk closed his eyes as he felt tears well in them.

Seungri shared his mom looks and her more apparent personality traits, Seunghyun also had a lot of his mom in him too. A lot of the time, the similarity was in what he didn't do or say. It was that calm smile; a look of fond indulgence; an understated authority that could convey so much without ever the need for words. It was in his high intelligence – so often underestimated in his wife who, more often than not, preferred to remain in the background. It was in his profound compassion.

And they shared an identical smile.

He swallowed heavily, almost on the verge of losing complete control as he thought about how his wife had helped to shape their son – and he ruthlessly blinked his tears away.

As his vision cleared, he saw Seunghyun lunge out of his chair; falling into a crouch alongside Seungri. He put a brotherly arm around the weeping boy's shoulders and, miraculously, it wasn't shrugged away.

Seungri fell forwards, burying his face in his arms and Seunghyun stayed where he was – in what looked to be an incredibly uncomfortable position.

Again, Hyunsuk was reminded to his wife: of how she would sit and let her arm or her leg go to sleep – even to the point of pins-and-needles, or actual physical pain – if one of their sons (and he included himself in that group) was in need of her comfort.

He swallow again – this time to fight back a sob. He need to compose himself – because if his son's became aware of his impending emotional breakdown, then he might well undo all of the good work his older son had done.

Forcing a smile through his still lingering tears, Hyunsuk did the only thing he could think of; the only thing that felt right. Closing the distance between him and the table in just a few short strides, he go behind the both of his sons and then gently put his arms around them.

The moment couldn't last forever and it was Hyunsuk who broke it.

"How about we all get out of here?" He didn't even mentioned 'home' for fear of Seungri’s reaction. But he'd said enough; he'd said too much. And he realised that he just should have savoured the moment – and let his older son continue doing whatever it was that was working so well.

But it was too late to take back those words.

Seungri sat up so suddenly that make Seunghyun sent sprawling back onto the floor but Hyunsuk manage to move quickly to avoid being butted in the face by the back of his youngest son's head.

"NO!" Seungri's reaction was devastating to everyone else in the room. They all clearly believed that they had made some progress. But it seemed like that was not the case.

Seunghyun wasn't about to be deterred. He afforded a glance towards his father: 'follow my lead.' And he grasped Seungri by the shoulders.

"What, Seungri?" he demanded, forcing his younger brother to look at him. "You were listening to me." He quirked a half-smile; hiding how much it pained him to do so.

"Listen Seungri, whatever's happened, you know that I would never lie to you."

"I… It…" Seungri was struggled to force his words out and tremors shuddered through his body, as he fought against the desperate sobs threatening to engulf him. "It… it wasn't… sup… supposed to… be this… this hard…"

Seunghyun felt a sudden anger rise up through him. It wasn't about his younger brother. It wasn't about his father. It wasn't even about that crazy psychopath. He was solely mad at the situation – and he didn't even try to rein that anger in.

They had been making progress and he wasn't about to blow it now.

He looked up at his father and he knew his dark eyes were blazing fury; he could feel it in the rage that coursed though him – something that most people would consider completely uncharacteristic. But it was a beast he had long lived with and long since learned to control. He saw it reflected back at him, via his dad's shocked expression. He didn't care.

Things were going to start happening and they were going to start happening now – before they all went into complete meltdown.

"Tell me we can go," he asked of his father, in a voice that was deceptively controlled.

"All of us."

Hyunsuk nod. He understood where his older son was coming from. For a boy who kept his emotions mostly held carefully in check; when he let them go, he let them go with a vengeance. And, if he didn't have this anger, then all he'd have left would be inconsolable grief.

That wouldn't help any of them. This might.

"Seungri is free to go," he stated. "Chief Jin said there are no charges."

But the effect those same words had on Seungri was hardly reassuring. The tormented boy had his palms clasped together and they were clamped firmly between his thighs. "No," he moaned, softly. "This is not right."

He bowed his head and tried to curl on himself but Seunghyun didn't let him. Now he could use his rage to the good. Now he could force an invaluable point home. And, dammit, if that's what it took…

"Do you trust me, Seungri!?" He suddenly demanded – but then didn't even wait for a reply: "Do you really trust me?” Again, he'd resorted to yelling, but he didn't care. He was relentless: "Answer me!"

"I…I…" Seungri was confused; he was supposed to answer but seeing his brother like this – so out of control and, thus, out of character – scared him. But, if there was such a thing, it was a good kind of scared.

His brother, he suddenly realised, really believed in him. And through the screams that continued to echo in his head; through the nightmare images he wasn't sure he could believe any more; through the damning condemnations of his own father; that was the one constant:

Not a condemnatory word had ever passed his brother's lips; not a single accusation – not even one revealed only by his expression or his eyes. His older brother believed in him.

Tears filled his eyes.

"But he told me…" Seungri gasped, trying to make some sense of it all. "He said … I…"

Seunghyun cut him off with just two words; two words delivered in a tone that broached absolutely no argument:

"He lied."