Confession

Blame

 

 

 

Seungri was hauled unceremoniously back to the interrogation room – but, in truth, he was barely even aware of being taken from his cell.

He barely had any coherent thought any more.

For once he wasn't handcuffed, but there was no fight left in him – and he stood where he was made to stand; his arms hanging limply at his sides.

When a sheet of paper was at him, he grabbed it with trembling hands. Then he could only stare uncomprehendingly at the printed script it contained.

He didn't know what was expected of him. He didn't even care.

His mother's face. His accuser's voice. That was all he cared about. That was the focus of his very existence. And it was on the verge of destroying him completely.

"Confess."

The word was just a whisper in his ear; unidentifiable as to who had uttered it. But it pounded another nail into his self-condemnatory coffin. Confession was supposed to be good for the soul. And, God, Seungri needed something – anything to ease the all-encompassing agony that enshrouded him.

He raised his empty gaze towards the man who stood in front of him; barely recognising him as Arashi.

"How..?" he whispered – not even realising how much it sounded like a desperate plea.

"Read it." Arashi nodded down at the paper Seungri still held. "Read your confession aloud and be free."

Seungri squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head. He could never be free.

"Read it." His captor repeated. "And you'll be free to find absolution. Free to mete out justice exactly where it's deserved. Free to punish your mother's killer; to make hermurderer pay – in whatever way you see fit."

Seungri gasped as understanding struck. He was Judge, Jury and Executioner. He alone could ensure that his mother got true justice.

And all it would take was him reading from a single piece of paper.

 

 


 

 

They were on their way to rescue Seungri and he simply couldn't wait to be with his younger brother again.

He didn't know exactly what was happening to Seungri – but he did know that it had to be horrific. What would it take to drive someone to suicide? What mind-games? What tortures, both mental and physical?

SeungHyun's heart began to pound and cold fear settled into his stomach. He was suddenly feel nausea settled right alongside his fear.

He sought to retrieve the optimism that had so gripped him earlier. Yes, Arashi had driven someone to suicide, but his younger brother wasn't just 'someone'. He was Yang Seungri – and he was stronger than any seventeen-year-old ever should have to be.

Seunghyun had to believe in Seungri. Had to believe that his younger brother's fortitude would win out; that, maybe he would find his younger brother– damaged, maybe, but not irreparably broken.

 

 


 

 

Seungri didn't intentionally stall. He was just lost and confused and hovering on the verge of complete disintegration.

He was supposed to read from a piece of paper, but he couldn't even see the words because his vision was blurred by a million unshed tears.

"Mother-killer!!" But now the words weren't heard electronically through a loud-speaker. Now they were shouted in his ear by a real and human voice. "Mother-killer!!"

Seungri wanted to cover his ears, but that was not an option. It would mean him letting go of the oh-so-important piece of paper; letting go of his chance of closure.

He blinked – and then blinked again, as some of those million tears threatened to fall.

His eyes finally finding their focus, Seungri began by saying the date printed at the top of the page. His voice was hoarse; barely more than a whisper.

"Speak up." Arashi was relentless. "Do it right, or stay here forever."

Seungri's senses were suddenly bombarded with recent memories: cruel words and harsh accusations; condemnation after condemnation; blame and guilt… And his mother's face smiling up at him from a picture off a website.

He had to escape from this. He couldn't take this torture anymore; not now he had reconciled to the truth he'd been forced to accept. He had to be allowed to do what was right.

He looked at the paper and read the date out again. This time his voice was stronger – still ravaged by a myriad of emotions, but definitely audible.

When there was no further interruption, he continued reading:

"My name is Yang Seungri and I kill my mother."