Hell hole Part One

Blame

 

 

The noise stopped for a second time and Seungri sat up, abruptly. The last time, the silence had coincided with a 'meal'. This time, it coincided with the evil man appearing outside his cell.

There was a rattle of keys and then the cell door swung open.

"Come on!" Arashi sounded irritated; impatient.

Seungri got to his feet and staggered slightly. For the first time, he wondered as to whether his food or drink had been drugged. If so, it was too late to do anything about it. He took a hesitant step forwards.

"Move it!" Arashi lost all pretence of patience and marched into the cell, grabbing hold of Seungri's left arm.

Seungri reacted instinctively. He was used to danger; wasn't cowed by threats. And, this time, his hands weren't bound. And if he was being drugged, he knew that he had to act before those drugs took too firm a hold.

Feigning compliance, he took one step forwards and then he struck. He threw his whole bodyweight into Arashi, slamming him against the bars of the cell.

Arashi took a pained breath – used it to cry out his partner name – and then Seungri used momentum to crash into him again. His assailant collapsed, moving feebly.

Seungri didn't waste a single second. He didn't know how badly he had hurt the man and wasn't about to delay to find out. This might be his only chance of escape.

He never, for a moment, believed that the man's gasped cry had been heard and he needed to gain some distance before his assailant recovered sufficiently to call out more loudly for help.

The outer door was thankfully unlocked and Seungri yanked it open. Then he found himself staring down the business end of a gun.

It wasn't possible that Arashi had been heard, but Seungri had forgotten about the security camera. Just because there was no flashing light didn't mean that it wasn't recording – or being monitored.

The man holding the gun was, unsurprisingly, his original kidnapper. At least now Seungri had a name to put to the face, but that was very small consolation. The man was smiling evilly at him from behind the weapon – and Seungri's abortive escape attempt was thwarted.

The man moved quickly and pain exploded in Seungri's jaw as the gun barrel connected solidly with it. He fell, heavily – darkness clawing at the edge of his vision and automatic tears filling his eyes.

He could offer no resistance as he was wrestled onto his stomach; barely felt the cuffs, yet again, encircling his wrists.

Then his pain was pushed to the back of his mind, as Arashi's voice growled in his ear:

"Interrogation time, killer."

 


 

They dragged him back to the room where he had been forced to strip. This time, there was a chair set a small distance away from the table and Seungri was into it. The ache in his jaw hadn't abated one little bit. It pulsed in time with his rapidly beating heart.

Arashi moved to stand directly in front of him and his partner stood behind the chair, keeping an achingly firm grip on his left shoulder.

"So." Arashi leant back against the edge of the table and folded his arms across his chest. "Are you ready to save us all a whole lot of time and confess to your crimes?"

Seungri went to answer, but was forced to flinch away when the ache in his jaw flared into genuine pain. He wondered if it was broken. He shook his head, slowly – partially in negation at Arashi's question and partially to try and clear his befuddled mind.

"Innocent men don't run," Arashi’s partner growled from behind him – his clawed fingers tightening cruelly into the muscles of his shoulder.

"He has a point." Arashi straightened up and began to pace; his eyes never leaving Seungri. "If you are innocent, why would you try to escape?"

Seungri blinked at him, wondering if he was possibly losing his mind. This wasn't real; he wasn't actually under arrest. He had been kidnapped by these bay guys – of course he would try to escape. Anyone in their right mind would, given half an opportunity. He worked his jaw, trying to loosen some of the stiffness that was setting in. But then Arashi spoke again before he could formulate a suitable response.

"Alright, if you don't feel like talking – how about I talk and you can correct me if I go wrong." He stopped pacing and leant forwards, putting his face very close to Seungri's. "You killed your mother. Period." Then he straightened back up, folded his arms and just waited.

 


 

Seungri's eyes were focussed on the floor and they had been for quite some time. Arashi's words were still ringing in his ears and he couldn't quite understand why they were bothering him so much.

Though his memories of the crash were still more than a little hazy, he did cling onto the memory of strong and assertive words from his brother: It wasn't your fault! It was a stolen car running a red light! That's whose fault it was!

"It was an accident…" The words were mumbled around the pain in his face – but he was still heard.

"An accident that you crashed the car?" Arashi leapt gleefully onto the words. "Or an accident that you killed your mother?"

Seungri looked up and confusion clouded his eyes. The fog in his mind was getting thicker and it was getting harder and harder to concentrate. Again, a brief fear of possibly having been drugged flashed through his mind.

"Are you saying that her murder wasn't premeditated?" Arashi's interrogation continued.

"No!" The denial was out of his mouth before he could prevent it. "I mean… I didn't… It wasn't my fault."

"Reckless endangerment? Death by dangerous driving?" Arashi ticked off the points on his fingers. "Which one was it?"

"None of them!" At last, Seungri found some coherence. "Somebody ran the lights." It wasn't a memory, but it was what his hyung had told him – and his hyung wouldn't lie about something so important. "They hit our car."

"Oh yes." His captor openly smirked at him. He paused, but not long enough for Seungri to find an answer. "I was driving too and I was there. It was just a fender-bender; my car barely had a scratch on it. Nobody should have been killed."

Seungri could do nothing other than gape up at him. Words about his mom not wearing her seatbelt reared up in his mind.

"It wasn't my fault," he tried to insist – striving to hold onto the assurances his hyung had offered him. But hyung's voice was fading in his mind and Arashi's accusations were getting louder.

 


 

"We found the car. It was the car they used to abduct Seungri." Police Chief Jin spoke without even waiting to be greeted, much less invited in. When the front door opened, he was confronted with two identical expressions of utter horror – three if you included Park Jae Sang, who hovered just behind the father and son.

Hyunsuk closed his eyes and SeungHyun visibly sagged. It was easy for anyone to imagine just what had been going through their minds when the Police Chief turned up on their doorstep at such an ungodly hour. His words, at least, took away every dreadful scenario they couldn't help but imagine.

"Jin…" Hyunsuk recovered first and took a step back, silently inviting the Chief in.

No further words were spoken until they were all, again, seated in the office.

"How can you be so sure it's the right car?" SeungHyun asked.

"Hyunsuk, SeungHyun." Police Chief Jin looked at each of them in turn. "There were a number of hairs in the rear foot well of the car. Forensics confirmed it’s belong Seungri."

"Was there any..?" Hyunsuk swallowed hard and then looked at Jin straight in the eyes. "Was there any blood?"

"No," the Police Chief lied easily. There had been a blood – miniscule, in fact and so there was no need for him to mention it. Seungri hadn't been seriously injured when he'd been put into the car and that was all they needed to know. "But we did get a fingerprint."

"What?!" Both father and son demanded at exactly the same time.

 


 

"Tell me about the accident." Arashi was relentless. He stalked back and forth in front of Seungri and his eyes never once left the miserable young man. "Tell me how you lost control of your car."

Seungri shook his head. Even though the pain in his jaw was receding – even though he'd managed to utter a few words – he couldn't find any response. To his consternation, he was beginning to doubt everything he had to hold onto.

It didn't matter. Arashi barely gave him the time to think before he launched into him again: "It was only ever meant to be a scare. It was a prang. It was… nothing. Why did you kill your mom?"

"I didn't…" The words were gasped out on a trembling voice and held absolutely no conviction.

"You hit the gas instead of the brake! You lost control! You spun into a damned pole!" Arashi his face into Seungri's. "You've got a licence – what do you do when your car goes into a spin?"

Seungri's eyes filled with tears as the brutal words were hurled at him. What did you do when a car went into a spin? His heart began to race. He didn't know; couldn't answer the question.

He barely heard Arashi's instruction to his partner to 'take him back to his cell'and it was in a state of complete numbness that he meekly allowed himself to be led. He couldn't control the thoughts that were ricocheting around his head – and his lack of memory about the actual crash was sending those thoughts careening down a dangerous path:

What if I did hit the gas instead of the brake? What if I panicked? Why couldn't I control the spin? Why did mom die?"

The cuffs were released as he was pushed into the cell, but Seungri barely noticed. He staggered towards the bed and collapsed onto it. The moment he did, the infernal noise from before started up again, ensuring that sleep was out of the question.

But his own convoluted thoughts had guaranteed that anyway.