XXVII

Blame

TAADAAAAA!!!!!......me & my friend decide to give a bonus chapter...till we meet again(don'tknowwhen)..byebye..


 

 

 

 

Jae Suk drive and Hyunsuk sat in stony silence beside him. His sister Ga-In and Seunghyun remained at the hospital – determined to be available should there be any further news about Seungri; and to be able to visit him the second they were allowed. It was clear from both of their demeanours that they didn't agree with his course of action.

"You know, I agree with your sister and Seunghyun," Jae Suk said, breaking into his thoughts – after seemingly having read his mind.

Hyunsuk didn't answer; didn't even turn his head.

"And you know the old 'silent treatment' isn't going to work on me either, my friend." Jae Suk continue, not even glancing away from the road to see if he was provoking a reaction. He knew that he would sooner or later. "Because you know me – about as well as I know you – and you know that you'll crack eventually; even if it is just to tell me to shut up. We've played this game…"

"Shut up, Jae Suk."

And then Jae Suk did glance to his right, a small smile playing on his lips. It wasn't returned by his friend, but he was looking a little less rigid. But there was still unmistakable determination in his posture.

"Just tell me why, Hyunsuk," Jae Suk said, softly. "Why put yourself through this?" He shook his head. "Seunghyun was right; that dam psycho will just use this to hurt you. You're playing right into his hands."

"I have to know." The answer came on a whisper.

"But why?" Jae Suk pressed the question. His partner was normally so level-headed; stoic even where his family was concerned – or especially where his family was concerned. This ill-advised confrontation was totally out of character and Jae Suk wanted to head it off before it caused his dear friend any further pain: "Just explain it to me and I'll take you there without saying another word."

Silence fell – and then his friend stretched out uncomfortably. Jae Suk risked another glance at Hyunsuk – who was sitting with his head bowed and his eyes closed. He was just about to make another attempt at reaching him, when the other man spoke:

"I blamed Seungri." The words were strangled; the confession torn out from deep within him. "I blamed my son for killing his mother."

Jae Suk brought the car to an abrupt stop as Hyunsuk seemed to be on the verge of disintegrating completely; half-collapsing forwards and burying his face in his hands. Then all Jae Suk could do was clasp at his friend shoulder – silently offering his full, unconditional and totally non-condemnatory support.

 

 

 

Seungri was forced back to consciousness by the unpleasant sensation of his eyelid being eased open. The sudden light was sharp and bright and pierced into his brain like a needle. And it forced him back into a place he had no memory of ever leaving. He gasped, feeling his heart begin to race as he instinctively flinched away from an expected assault of noise; of never-ending bitter and accusatory words.

But the voice, when it came, was calm and reassuring – the words gentle and soothing. It made no sense and so he waited, his body unbearably tense, for his torture to begin.

Nothing immediately happened, but still he could not dare to hope. He had dared in the past and it had only caused him further pain.

The whispered words continued – so soft and making him feel so at peace. But peace was the one thing he didn't have.

The sound of the crash; the squeal of tyres; the blazing horn. And screaming. Drowning it all out. His mother screaming.

"No!" Seungri screamed as his nightmare returned with vengeance – and then profound grief hit him and he tried to curl in on himself.

That provoked a reaction more like he'd been expecting. Restraining hands grasped his shoulders and he stiffened, expecting to feel the cold bite of handcuffs snapping around his wrists.

But that didn't happen and the voice continued to be all wrong. It was firmer now, but still didn't contain any anger; any of the rage he had so become used to.

When his eyelids had been released, his eyes had drifted shut – but now Seungri opened them as wide as he could; in reality little more than a crack. But a face still filled his field of vision and he jerked instinctively away.

As had so often recently been the case, there was nowhere for him to go.

He blinked – frowning as his headache threatened to split his head – and then blinked again.

The face hovering just above his was wrong. It wasn't his torturer.

Thoroughly confused, Seungri let his eyes drift to the right. There he saw two men – two police men, he slowly realised – and things gradually became clearer to him. More fragmented memories returned:

"Confess and be free. Free to find forgiveness. Free to face the justice."

His torturer had been true to his word. His torturer had released him and now he was under arrest. He was in the hospital for obvious reasons, but the presence of two police men spoke volumes to him.

His mother would get justice, just like his torturer had promised.

Feeling strangely reassured, Seungri gave up his fight against unconsciousness and let himself drift away – ersely reassured by the belief that he was in police custody and was thus only one step away from paying for his crime in full.

 

 

 

Concerned that his sudden stop might have caused him to park in an inappropriate – if not downright dangerous – place, Jae Suk spared a glance out of his window and then almost did a double-take when he saw that he'd somehow managed to pull up right next to a parking. It never even crossed his mind to slip out and feed it a coin – not when his friend was almost literally falling to pieces next to him.

Besides, his hand was still clamped firmly on Hyunsuk shoulder – and he would not have broken that contact had his life depended on it.

It devastated him to see the normally strong man in such a state – and he didn't know quite how to handle it.

Physical contact was all he had and it didn't matter that his hand was starting to cramp; that his shoulder was getting stiff because he was twisting somewhat awkwardly. He would stay where he was for as long as he was needed.

A few minutes later, Hyunsuk heaved a sigh and rubbed at his eyes with his fingertips. When he looked at Jae Suk, his eyes were completely dry.

"Thank you," he said.

"So." Jae Suk wasn't quite ready to let things go just yet. He had been shocked by his friend's confession – not having been privy to exactly what happened between Hyunsuk and his youngest son directly after the accident. "What happened?" He bit his lip, wondering if he dared voice his next question – and then he took the plunge: "How could you possibly blame Seungri?"

"I was so angry." Though Hyunsuk answered his friend's question, it was as though he was talking to himself – seeking some explanation, some proof for his actions. "It's just…" He pounded his fist into his thigh. "I couldn't even protect my family! I knew he was out there and…" The pounding became more intense. "I couldn't save her! Seungri couldn't…"

"Seungri couldn't do anything!" Jae Suk broke in before too damaging words could be said.

"Seungri…"

"Seungri was driving." Hyunsuk shook his head – knowing how irrational his words were even as he spoke them – but being completely unable to help how he felt. "He was responsible."

"Do you really believe that?" Jae Suk was appalled by what he was hearing – even if a small part of him did understand. Almost a quarter of a century in the P.I. business had proved that much flimsier rationales could fester to the point of obsession when a person was bound and determined to apportion blame.

"No!" Hyunsuk responded with utter conviction – and it left no doubt in Jae Suk's mind that the irrational and unfair sentiment towards his youngest son had only been a temporary one. "No, I don't. Not now," Hyunsuk elaborated. "But…, my wife was dead and I…. I blamed Seungri."