Bonus Ending - Smile

One more day

This story is actually finished,

but I want to thank each of you who read it and posted so great comments

and subscribed. It means so much to me.

I kind of wanted you to know, what happens to Youngjae many many years later, after Daehyun's death.

So if you're interested... here it is.

I hope you enjoy it <3

Thank you.


                                                                                                     ~

Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night, because I heard someone calling my name.

I walked outside and you were standing in front of my house. You smiled at me and reached out your hands.



Youngjae often dreamt of Daehyun, he came visiting him every night. They spent their lost time together in his dreams.

But now it didn't feel like a dream, it felt too real.

Youngjae pushed away the fact, that it was impossible that Daehyun was really here.

 

“I was waiting for you”, Daehyun whispered.

Youngjae took Daehyun’s hand, his skin was cold and so soft that Youngjae feared that he wouldn’t be able to hold it.

Youngjae feared he would only feel smoke between his fingers, but Daehyun intertwined their fingers like they always used to do.

The bluish snow glowed in the moonlight.

“I promised to wait for you, didn’t I?”, Daehyun said. Youngjae laughed and kissed his cheek.

“Of course, you promised. I knew you would keep it”, Youngjae answered. Daehyun smiled and pulled Youngjae closer.

His eyes sparkled by excitement and they slowly walked away from Youngjae's house.

He was living alone, so no one would ask when he would leave the house at the middle of night.

 

“You haven’t changed at all”, Youngjae said. Daehyun, who still looked like 18, laughed.

“Why should I have changed?”, he asked.

“So many years have passed”, Youngjae whispered sadly.

“Youngjae, don’t cry”, Daehyun said quietly and reached out his fingers.

The tips of his finger gently over Youngjae’s face and while they walked down the street, they passed a car.

Youngjae turned around and stared at his reflection that showed him his younger self. The 18 year old Youngjae.

Daehyun stepped next to Youngjae and both stared at their reflections.

“Why are you so sad?”, Daehyun asked. Youngjae averted his eyes from their reflections.

“It’s been so long. I never loved someone else, it’s always been you. I dreamt of you, you visited me during the nights, sometimes even during the day. But I

                 would always wake up and you’re gone again. I miss you, Daehyun. So much”, he whispered.

“I was never gone, I was always with you. I promised it, right?”, Daehyun said and smiled.

“Come, follow me”, he continued. His cool fingers dragged Youngjae along and he followed him through the streets, they once walked together as teenagers.

They had returned to Youngjae’s house and stopped in the garden.

“Look, Youngjae”, he said and pointed at the ground. Then he kneeled down and smiled.

A little purple flower was growing in the snow.

Youngjae kneeled down next to Daehyun.

“Don’t pick it... “, Daehyun whispered and took Youngjae’s hand that reached for the flowers.

“Please, smile again, Youngjae”, Daehyun said and Youngjae’s cheek.

“How can I, when you’re not with me?”, Youngjae asked.

“But I am”, Daehyun said surprised. Youngjae looked at him.

“Yeah, right now... but later”, he murmured.

“You’ve always worried too much, Youngjae”, Daehyun chuckled.

Youngjae smiled sadly.

“I had all the reasons to”, he said. Daehyun sighed and Youngjae abruptly turned towards him. Daehyun’s fingers trembled softly.

“It’s time”, Daehyun said. Youngjae could feel tears coming up, it reminded it too much of that one summer night...

“Time?”, he asked.

“Time to leave”, Daehyun said.

“Smile once more”, he whispered. “Please”.

Youngjae tried, but failed.

Youngjae stepped closer to Daehyun and tried to hold onto him.

“Then kiss me once more”, he begged.

Daehyun’s hand felt like a butterfly’s wing, when he touched Youngjae’s cheek.

“The smile is not for me”, Daehyun whispered, his lips were only inches away from Youngjae’s.

“For whom then?”, Youngjae asked confused.

“It’s for yourself”, Daehyun whispered and then their lips locked.

Youngjae’s eyes closed and his lips formed a soft smile under Daehyun’s kiss.

When Youngjae opened his eyes again, Daehyun wasn’t gone, he was still holding him, smiling.

And he could see himself, lying in bed, dreaming of Daehyun, of how he picked him up,

to leave together. For the last time.
 

 

It was his secretary who found Youngjae, because he didn’t appear to his work place.

He looked like he was still sleeping, but his skin was cold as ice, his face pale. His heart had stopped beating hours ago.

Nevertheless he was smiling softly.

When she left the house to call the police and an ambulance, she walked through the garden.

In the middle of it, surrounded by snow hundreds of little purple flowers were blooming.

 

Feelings are blooming.
It could turn spring

in the middle of winter.

(Haiku by Ernst Ferstl)