Parting Gift

Taeyeon One Shot Collection | Taeyeon's Intimate Note

 

"  Bet you glad I'm dead now.. "

She live near her, but they never crossed path, ever, until tonight


 

“ We are here today, to show our love and support for Im Yoona’s precious family. Not only have we sensed our own personal feelings of loss over Yoona’s passing, but our hearts have been drawn toward them, and will continue to be with them. Finally, we are here to seek and to receive comfort.. “

 

Taeyeon were standing silently among the other mourning friend and family. Her eyes never once leave the picture of the smiling Yoona, her best friend, that place at side of her casket. The news is so sudden. Taeyeon never thought she will said goodbye so early with her best friend when they still in twenty, but she guess death not choose who will it taken or when. Maybe  Yoona is too beautiful to this wreck and bland world, so God want her up there instead.

This is unfair. Yoona deserve better than this. Yoona deserve more time in this world. Taeyeon bitterly bite her inside cheek  as she thought and cursing at same time the drunk truck driver who accidently hit Yoona’s car, but what’s happened already happened. Time already move on.

People slowly walk to front, to offer their condolences to the family, but Taeyeon stubbornly keep on her place even after the casket finally buried and the family finally leave the cemetery. Her eyes still gazed at her best friend picture when sky slowly pouring, she let her tears become one with the rain, while she silently mourning over her best friend.

Till we meet again.. Yoong..

___________________________

 

The first thing Taeyeon do after comeback home was goes to bathroom. Under the hot shower, she crying once again over her best friend. She still can’t believe Yoona already gone. Last night they still talking about the upcoming Avengers movie, but next day is completely opposite. Yoona is no longer around.  She don’t have someone to share late night talk again. Someone who willingly going to Taco Bell at 2 am in morning or someone to talk about latest Marvel movie. It will be very different without her from now on.

The clock show 4 am in the morning at moment. Yet Taeyeon can’t even blink her eyes close. She staring hazily at her plain white ceiling. A sudden hunger come to her belly as protest to her forgetting her dinner. Reflex, her hand grabbing the phone that lay beside her, and before her brain can process, it dialing Yoona’s number. Warm water pooling at her eyes as she staring at the screen, it keep dialing and dialing until finally stop. Taeyeon’s close her eyes as she let herself goes into another break down. Her hand grasp at the phone tight as tears keep running on her face.

No.. please.. comeback..

 

___________________________

 

When sun finally come out, Taeyeon’s eyes looks red and puffy. She supposed to go to work, but the will just gone. So she just laying lifelessly at her bed and hoping her boss will understand and not fired her. Taeyeon eyes scan her room slowly until it stop at her computer table. Her forehead wrinkles as she slowly get up when she suddenly remember about something that laying near the keyboard. A white envelope. The last letter from her best friend.

Taeyeon  grab the chair in front of the table and slump herself on it as her eyes still curiously looking at the item. She totally forget about it. It came along with the news of her passing. Like a coincident. Even though Yoona was mention it before that she sent something to her trough mail. Taeyeon’s hand gently touching over the envelope, hesitant if she should open it or not. As she completely drown into her thought, a familiar voice interrupt her and send her to another shock like she has seen a ghost. Literally.

“ Are you gonna open it or what? “

Taeyeon feel chill on her nape, as goosebumps slowly creeps on her arms once she face the voice owner “ Y-y-yoona..?! “ Taeyeon said with eyes wide open.

Yoona give her a sad smile before return her greeting. “ Hi unnie.. “

______________________________

 

 

“ Oh God I must be crazy now. “ Taeyeon quickly get up from her seat and step back away from Yoona. Her hand frantically rubs her face and sometimes smack her forehead as she not believing what she seen. “ I must be hallucinating. This is impossible oh God.. “

“ Taeyen unnie relax.. “ Yoona sighing as she already expected how she will react. “ Let me explain.. “

“ No, you’re dead! “ Taeyeon cut her before moving around her room,  keep avoiding to get near her dead best friend. “ I-I saw you, in casket, buried.. deep.. oh God am I dreaming? Is this prank?? “ Taeyeon start looking around at every corner of her room, wishing to find a camera or something to prove that this is all just joke. Unfortunately after couple minute of silence, Taeyeon finally realize that the one who with her right now is indeed her best friend Yoona.

“ Unnie, I’m so sorry.. “ Yoona give Taeyeon another sad smile.

“ But.. you’re dead.. I don’t understand.. “ Taeyeon looking back at Yoona with huge question on her face.

“ I know, I am dead, but I ask them to let me comeback here, one last time. “ Yoona walks slowly towards Taeyeon.

 “ Why..? “

Yoona smile as she feels relief that rather than run away, this time Taeyeon stay on her ground “ Taeyeon unnie, I have a favor. “

 

________________________________

 

 

Taeyeon tap her feet repeatedly against the floor as she sit at corner of café in downtown. Her eyes couple of times goes to the main door every time new person coming. She feels so nervous and its normal because she has been stay away for long time in dating department.

“ If I suddenly got died from nervous break down, I blame everything on you. “ Taeyeon said to the person who sit beside her.

“ If you suddenly dead from nervous break down, I will be happy to share my grave to you unnie. “ Yoona sarcastically answer as she finally stop having contact battle with the chocolate pudding on display table. “ Ah I really want that chocolate pudding.. being dead . “ Yoona sadly said and pouting as she finally return her focus to her unnie.

Taeyeon ignore her reply, at this moment she trying not to remember the fact that Yoona is dead and that she actually sit alone waiting someone she don’t even know. “ So where is she? “ Taeyeon impatiently said, her eyes keep fixating on the door.

“ Is it her? “ Taeyeon ask as someone just walk in, a high school student with few of her friend. Yoona glance at them and quickly shook her head. “ Not her. “

“ Oh someone walk in! “ Taeyeon heart beat more faster, this time a woman around mid 30 walk in with laptop on her hand. Yoona lazily took glance towards the door before back to look at Taeyeon, she sigh before shake her head again. “ Is not her Unnie.. “

“ Well then where is she? We’ve been here about an hour Yoong. “ Taeyeon start getting confused. Yoona last favor to her is her to go on date with a girl that she meet before she had accident. A pretty girl that Yoona said she don’t have chance to get to know yet. Taeyeon was ready to say no, but then she realize that it might be Yoona last wish. So being a good friend she is, she willingly agree to her.

“ I don’t know, maybe she forget. “ even Yoona looking very bored at moment. Taeyeon start dislike this girl. Even though Yoona said good thing about her, being stood up for more than an hour, makes her put the girl on her bad list already. “ Let just go home Unnie. This is wasting time.. “ Yoona give up, she already get up from her seat and ready to go when once again the door of the café open.

This time both of them glance to it, another girl walk in, but they know right away that she different from the rest. “ Please tell me that its her.. “ Taeyeon softly said, her eyes can’t leave the girl who still stand in front of the door. Taeyeon saw how her eyes quickly scan the area. She looks like she waiting for someone. Is it her..?

Yoona watching how Taeyeon face change drastically once she looking at the girl. There’s spark in her eyes that Yoona never seen before. Yoona smiling to herself once she realize what it mean. Taeyeon like the girl, and she very glad.

“ Yes its her Unnie. “ Yoona told her excitedly. “ Go and say hello, quick, before she leave! “ Yoona push Taeyeon towards the door, making Taeyeon stumble little bit. She throw warning glare at Yoona who make her looks like a dork for split second.

Taeyeon heart beat irregularly every time her feet took few more closer to the girl. The last time she feels this kind of nervous is when her homerun teacher calling her parents at 5th grade because she keep missing at last class everyday. Turn out Taeyeon was taking care an injured puppy that she found on her way to school. In the end of the day, they make her promise to catching up on her class and as result, she got to take the puppy home. She name him Zero.

“ Hi.. “ Taeyeon timidly said once she arrived in front of the girl. The girl staring at her curiously. She very breathtaking to see up close. Her face so small, her nose pointy and just at right size, her lips thin yet looking very warm, her eyes is crystal clear and looks like it have its own diamond.

“ Yes..? “

“ I’m sorry but are you here for someone..? “ Taeyeon ask her with sheepish smile on her lips.

“ In fact I am, waiting someone.. is it..? “ her voice trailed off as she looking back at Taeyeon unsurely.

“ Yes. I mean no! “ Taeyeon flustered answer her and it makes the girl chuckles “ Yes or no? Which one? “ she teasing Taeyeon.

Taeyeon get relax little bit after heard her laugh. “ I mean its my friend you waiting for, but she can’t make it. “ she told her.

“ Oh. I see.. thanks for telling me then.. um.. “ they both now looking each other and clueless to what to say or do. It turn very awkward and Taeyeon hate awkward situation. “ Alright I—I will just go back then.. “ the girl decide as she gave Taeyeon little smile and turn around.

Yoona had to rolled her eyes and smack Taeyeon on her head to wake the girl from trance. Otherwise the girl will just leave. “ Wait! “ Taeyeon finally found her voice again, the girl turn around with surprise on her face. “ My friend, has a reason to not be here at moment.. and if you willingly to go on date with me instead, I will tell you why. “ Taeyeon explain to the girl. She crossed her finger behind her back as she pray that the girl give her chance.

“ Okay.. but you buy me coffee. “ the girl answer with smile as she now walking pass Taeyeon to find a vacant table for both of them. “ I’m Jessica by the way. “ she told Taeyeon her name once they settle inside a booth near a window. Warm drink already served in front of them.

“ I’m Taeyeon. Nice to meet you Jessica. “ Taeyeon smiling widely through the night as they continue chatting.

 

_________________________________

 

The date turn up very nice. Taeyeon took Jessica to place where Yoona told her. After they go out from the café, Taeyeon took Jessica to a park near the Han River. They spend few hour by walking around and chatting. Jessica is college student. She study a business and its her last year. For her final assignment, she decide to open an online shopping with few of her friend and it has been open successfully since 6 month ago. Jessica even show it to Taeyeon how to access it and give her few coupon get discount on every item there.

After walking at park, it’s finally the time to watch the latest Avengers movie that Yoona and Taeyeon been waiting for. They purchase the ticket a month before and been excited about it. Unfortunately Yoona get into accident, Taeyeon almost don’t want to go at all, but Yoona convince her to take Jessica instead. Turn out Jessica is very excited when Taeyeon ask her to watch the movie together. She said she been trying to get the ticket but it always sold out.

“ Avengers.. Assemble.. “

Yoona scream so loud when she watching the scene, a tears on her eyes as she excitingly throw both of her fist on the air. Taeyeon laugh at her best friend antics. Lucky to her all the people in theater didn’t notice her, she’s a ghost after all, otherwise she will get warning glare here and there.

When Taeyeon turn to Jessica she amazed to see a droplet of tears on her cheek too, while a satisfying form her lips. She about to ask if she okay but Jessica beat to her by saying that she love the movie so much and its so happy and sad at same time because it’s the end. Yoona give Taeyeon a meaningful smile after heard that. Jessica is a keeper, she said. Taeyeon shouldn’t lose her.

In the end of the day, Taeyeon walk Jessica back to her house. Surprisingly she live near her, but they never crossed a path. Ever. Until tonight.

“ Now, since I almost home, would you finally tell me why your friend stood me up? “ Jessica asking Taeyeon a question that she been wanting to know since start.

“ She not stood you up.. “ Taeyeon said quietly as they keep walking slowly side by side. “ She.. passed away. “

Jessica stop her feet after hear the news and Taeyeon can’t help but turn around to face her. The look in her face is bewilder and she don’t know if she should believe in Taeyeon or not. “ Its true.. “ Taeyeon convince her. “ My friend passed away 3 days ago. Car accident.. “

Jessica still process everything on her head before slowly her hand take phone from inside her bag. “ But.. your friend just text me few hour ago and told me she didn’t make it.. “

“ What? “ Taeyeon face is drain from color as he eyebrows is furrowed. “ What do you mean? “ she said as she walk closer to Jessica.

“ Yeah, we’ve been talking a lot in chat before decide to meet tonight. “ Jessica show Taeyeon the chat on her phone.

“ Wait, its not Yoona’s phone number.. “ Taeyeon said after she read the last text from the person on Jessica’s chat. The time wrote five hours ago.

“ Yoona? Your friend name is Yoona? “ Jessica ask Taeyeon again.

“ Yeah, why? “

“ The name of person that I supposed to meet tonight is Yuri. We meet through Instagram.. “

At the new information she receive, Taeyeon eyes goes to Yoona right away. She been awfully quiet since the conversation start and Taeyeon wonder why.

“ I don’t understand.. “ Jessica said to Taeyeon as they both now stood silently at side of empty street.

Taeyeon continue to stare at Yoona, her eyes asking a lot question but Yoona only give her sad smile before she disappeared from there. “ Yeah me too.. “ she whispered to her self.

_______________________________

 

 

When Taeyeon open her bedroom door, she found Yoona sit on the edge of her bed, eyes staring at the picture of them that place on side of computer table.

“ Do you remember that day Unnie? “ Yoona nod at the picture “ K-Con 2014, its our first time seeing our favorite band Girls’ Generation. “ she start reminiscing the day “ We almost didn’t make it, we stuck on traffic because we overslept and miss the alarm. We get too excited the day before and end up staying late night to talk what we doing when finally meet them. “ Yoona chuckled and Taeyeon can’t help but also remember the day. Its very hectic yet fun time for them.

Taeyeon sit herself on the computer table’s chair and facing Yoona. None of them is talking. Both of them is fear of what coming.

“ Yoong.. “ Taeyeon is the first one to break the silence “ What Jessica told me.. is it true..? “ Taeyeon eyes now fixating on Yoona but the later is not yet return the gaze.

“ I think.. its time for you to read the letter Unnie.. “ Yoona give Taeyeon smile as her eyes now looking at the forgotten letter that laying beside the computer.

Taeyeon looking at the envelope for few moment before her hand grab and hold it. She caress the envelope like she did before, then open it slowly. A piece of paper come from inside with hand written letter from her best friend Yoona. Her hand grip on the paper get tighten the further she read the letter.

 

Dear Taeyeon Unnie..

I’ve been meaning to tell you this for long time, but I never have courage to do it. I mean how, when you always seeing me as your little sister..?

But this feeling I have for you making me crazy, I just have to let it out..

I love you Unnie..

I’m in love with you.

The day we spend together is always blissful for me. I never want us to be apart.

It scared the hell out of me  because I know at some point, that we might never happen.

That in the end I have to willingly see you happy with someone else other than me..

I want to be a bigger person when that happen. I want to be happy, seeing you happy.

I just need more time to settle on this feeling.

I’m so sorry Unnie..

 

Taeyeon gulp after reading the last part of the letter. Her eyes then slowly goes up to Yoona’s.

“ Bet you glad I’m dead now.. “ she joke and chuckles wryly but Taeyeon still don’t know what to say. She speechless because the sudden turn of event. Not in her wildest dream she will thought Yoona will have romantic feeling for her. Now she don’t know how to react.

“ I was on my way to go on Jeju that night. I got offer to work there as housekeeper, helping this elder couple opening their first Inn. “ Yoona told her story. “ I thought that maybe stay away from you could make me forget the feeling I have on you. So when we meet again, we will just laugh it out loud. “ she pause for moment before continue “ I never expect it to be my last.. “

They stare each other. No words coming from their lips. Yoona silently asking for her forgiveness but Taeyeon herself still trying to put everything into her head.

“ Before they take me away, I beg them to sent me here once again, to make sure you found your happiness. “ Yoona break the silence but not their stare. “ I don’t have someone to date tonight Unnie, I don’t even meet anyone before.. but somehow, you met Jessica.. and I saw something different in your eyes, something that I always wish to see from you.. “

“ Yoong .. I don’t know how to react.. “ Taeyeon told her honestly. “ This all too much for me.. “

Yoona smile sadly as she stare at the clock on the wall “ Yeah, well I guess I would never know then.. “ she said as she get up from her seat “ Its time for me to go Unnie. “

Taeyeon widen her eyes after listen Yoona’s word, a sudden panic strike to her heart as she also get up from her seat and walk closer to her friend “ No no no, you can’t go now, where you want go Yoong..? Just.. just give me time please.. “

Yoong look at Taeyeon helplessly, “ I can’t.. Unnie.. “

Taeyeon’s lips trembling as tears form at the corner of her eyes, her hand now reaching and grabbing hard on Yoona’s, afraid that it will slip off if she not. “ Okay fine, fine, I love you too. We—we will go on date tomorrow. I take you everywhere you want. We can even have wedding the next day.. “ Taeyeon start rambling.. tears already flooding on her cheek. “ Just please, please.. stay.. stay.. “

“ Unnie, you not make it easy for me.. “ Yoona also start tearing up seeing Taeyeon lose herself. She start regretting to ever comeback here in first place. All she want to do is giving Taeyeon a last gift. She never thought it will turn this way.

“ How.. how can I live without you..? You’re my best friend Yoong.. “ Taeyeon start grabbing Yoona’s hand hard, then desperately holding her arms before finally reach her cheek and cupping it gently. “ Who, who I will ask to go with me in middle of night if I’m hungry..? or watch the latest Marvel movie? Who I talk to when SNSD album come out later..? “ Taeyeon keep rambling and Yoona can’t help but laugh in middle of her tears. The thing Taeyeon said just now is the thing she will miss the most from her.

“ You have Jessica now Unnie.. She my last gift for you…“ Yoona told her and Taeyeon shake her head hard as she end up burying herself on her best friend chest and wailing so loud.

“ No Yoong, please, don’t go… not yet.. please.. stay.. “ Taeyeon hold Yoona tight, she don’t want her best friend leave yet, but they don’t have a choice as the time slowly keep ticking.

“ Be happy Unnie.. “ That’s the last thing Taeyeon hear from her best friend as herself slowly going into slumber deep.

 

_____________________________

 

 

When Taeyeon woke up, its already new day. Bird chirping happily outside her window, sun warmly come out into the gap of the curtain. Everything feels like a dream to her. A nightmare she wish never happen, but how hard she try to deny, the reality is need to be face.

Taeyeon still staring at the picture of her and Yoona when her phone buzzing, a notification of new message. Unwillingly she tore her gaze to glance at her phone. Surprise to see the name of the sender.

Jessica.
 

Yoona’s last words suddenly echoing to her mind. A tiny smile form on her lips for first time that day.

“ I will Yoong.. I will be happy. Thank you.. “

 

END

 


an : the idea of this story come so sudden, its been so long since I update here, I hope everyone still like reading some sad love story haha anyway, happy weekend, love ya! ps - if you reader of Unexpected Meeting, the update will come soon ;)