Chapter Two

The Breaking of Desire

 

Tao was running in the empty corridor with heavy breath. He was hungry, no, starving. He couldn’t hold it any longer. Lucky him, he saw a random student who was reading lazily. Without a longer thought, he pulled the boy’s wrist with him, dragging the shocked student fast toward the back of their school.

“Hey! Hey! What are you doing?!” The student’s shout echoed in the empty hallway.

“Shut up!” Tao growled lowly, glaring at the poor student before faced forth again.

The student swore inside his heart that he saw Tao’s eyes were glowing red. And he didn’t dare to say any word anymore after that.

Tao stopped right behind the school building, right before the cliff which continued by the raging sea.

“Wha…what do you want…?” The student tremblingly asked.

Without any word, Tao slammed him on the wall and attacked the boy’s neck forcefully with his fangs.

Tao took a quick time. It wasn’t long until the boy hit the ground pale and dead, he even couldn’t scream. Tao wiped his lips carelessly then dragged the body toward the cliff. He threw the body easily before fell down on the ground, panting hard.

“What’s wrong with me…?” He breathed, “I really need to find Kris.”

 

 

The student council door was slammed harshly by a pale Tao, and then slammed close once again. Kris didn’t expect his friend would barge in like that. He knew something was up.

“Tao?” He frowned, “What’s wrong?”

Tao slumped on the ground, hiding his face on his knees.

Something was definitely wrong.

Kris took his way toward Tao then knelt down in front of him.

“Tao? Tell me!”

Tao raised his face slowly. Then, it hit Kris.

There was a tiny blood train beside Tao’s lips.

“Is it…blood?” Kris whispered.

Tao swallowed his saliva guiltily, wiping it with his thumb.

“This is not right!” Kris got up from his position, “Now tell me what’s going on!”

“I’m sorry!” Tao breathed, “Damn! I don’t know what happened to me!”

“The sun is still rising! Are you crazy, Tao?! What if someone saw you?!” Kris shouted.

“I know! But…but his blood is too sweet! It woke my hunger!” Tao palmed his face, “I can’t resist it…the smell is so sharp… ”

“So, you bit him?” Kris asked.

“No…” Tao shook his head, “Ah, how do I explain this?”

“Just tell me the whole story!”

“This guy, I met him. Then, the smell of his blood bothered me. I ran away from him then bit a random student, just to satisfy my hunger.”

“Tao…” Kris frowned, “You usually never lose control. It’s so new hearing this from you. Even Kai whose appetite is bigger than us never did such thing.”

Tao just kept silent, settling down his heavy breath.

“Tell me who he is.” Kris told him, sitting on his chair again.

“Kim Minseok.” Tao replied shortly.

Kris typed the name on his keyboard and searched it in students file. A name came out the he clicked it.

“Kim Minseok, one of students in your class.” Kris mumbled, “Isn’t he Yixing’s best friend?”

Tao nodded quietly.

“You’ve met him before today, right? And you didn’t do anything like this. Why today?”

Hesitantly, Tao told about how Minseok blushed, and then it bothered him.

“I see.” Kris hummed, “A blushing or angry human has a faster bloodstream. And it reaches head area. And, I admit the smell is stronger like that. But, I never expected it would make you like this.”

Tao calmed himself then sat on the sofa in front of Kris’ desk.

“What should I do know?” Tao asked.

“Nothing.” Kris answered after a while, “You don’t have to do anything. I don’t think the student you bit before would be found. The sea is too rough for searching. Maybe he will be told disappear or missing. It won’t affect our plan.”

“I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about Minseok.” Tao sighed, “What should I do if I meet him?”

“Well, you’re in the same class and his best friend is your roommate. Your meeting can’t be helped. But, just stay away as far as you need. Don’t come closer if he’s blushing or angry. I’ll tell Kai to help you.”

Tao nodded approvingly.

“So, you have interest into this boy?” Kris asked, mockingly.

Tao snapped his face up then shook furiously, “I don’t!”

“Keep denying, it won’t affect to your red face, Tao.” Kris snickered.

“Oh, shut up!” Tao growled, “You’re doing it too on Yixing!”

Then it shut Kris’ mouth up.

The door was opened in sudden, making the two of them jump a bit. Yixing came into the room with a stuck of papers in his arms.

“Oh, Tao.” He smiled warmly, closing the door with his foot, “I don’t know you’re here. I thought you were still with Minseok.”

“Hmm, no. I left not so long after you.” Tao smiled back.

“Sorry for leaving you in sudden back then. My mother’s presence was really shocking me.”

“Did she leave?”

“Yep, she just gave me the books I left behind in my home.” Yixing answered, putting the papers he brought, “Huff, how heavy.”

“You should have helped him, you know, Kris?” Tao ignorantly mocked Kris.

Kris sent him a death glare and he made a fake fear face before opening the door.

“I’m leaving, okay? See you around, both of you.”

“See you.” Yixing waved smilingly until Tao disappeared behind the closed door.

“What’ve you got, Yixing?” Kris asked his crush after a while.

“What? Oh, these are Chinese papers from junior classes. Lǐngxiù asked me to help him.”

“And why did you bring here?”

Yixing pouted at Kris’ question, making the questioner had to turn his face to resist the unfamiliar feeling inside him.

“It was too far to bring these into my room.” Yixing sighed, “Can I do the scoring here or am I bothering you?”

“Just use this room as you want, this is student council room anyway, not my room.” Kris replied coldly.

“Thank you.” Yixing smiled brightly until his dimple appeared. Kris took a sharp breath at that and rushed himself to get up.

“Eh, where are you going?” Yixing asked when he saw Kris open the door.

“Not your problem.” Kris answered, colder than he intended.

He saw Yixing’s smile fell sadly from the corner of his eyes and rushing out from the door.

“Why is he always cold toward me?’ Yixing sighed after Kris disappeared, “Does he hate me that much?”

Meanwhile on the outside of the door, Kris clutched his chest tight, trying to calm the raging beat inside his ribcage.

“Why am I always that cold to him?” He regretfully whispered to himself, “You’re stupid, Kris.”

Then he left the spot a second later.

 

 

Kai was wandering alone with bored face. Tao was nowhere to find.

Kai was bored because his roommates were away and he didn’t like to stay in room alone. He didn’t find Kris in the student council either, he only found a serious Yixing with papers scattered on his table.

Kai sighed sadly and decided to turn right toward the dance practice room when another student did the oppositely with him. So the bump couldn’t be avoided.

The opposite stranger was a little bit shorter than Kai. And because Kai was a skilled dancer, he got strong balance. He stood still while the other fell down with a painful thud.

“Ah…” Kai raised eyebrows in shock, “I’m really sorry. I didn’t see you.”

He squatted down to help the stranger.

“No, it was my fault too.” The stranger replied softly, picking his books.

Kai gave him some after they’d stood up.

The stranger was wearing thick glasses, a nerd type one. Then, he froze after seeing Kai in front of him.

“Are you okay?” Kai asked him.

“I…I…” The stranger stuttered quickly, “I’m okay. Thank you. I’m sorry.”

Then, he left clueless Kai with a quick run.

“Why is he running like that?” He frowned, “Ah, isn’t he Do Kyungsoo?”

Kai frowned and shrugged, deciding it wasn’t necessary to think.

In other hand, Kyungsoo ran until he reached his room and slammed the door shut. Luckily, his roommates weren’t there. He threw his body on his chair tiredly.

“What an attitude, Kyungsoo.” He mumbled to himself, “You’re so impolite leaving him there.”

He pulled his drawer and took the letter he’d written since a month ago. He never had courage to give his crush the letter because his crush was Kai, the leader of dance club, the person under spotlight. He even wasn’t sure if Kai knew him exist.

“Do I have to give a try?”

Kyungsoo sighed and put the letter back into his drawer, deciding to think about it later, and opened his calculus book.

 

 

Tao and Kai were taking their PE uniform from the locker. Kris wasn’t with them since he was in senior class.

“Ah.”

Tao peeked through his locker door and asked his friend, “What’s with the ‘ah’, Kai?”

“I got a letter.” Kai showed the letter to Tao with raising eyebrow.

“Don’t you usually get a ton of letters already?” Tao rolled his eyes, “And why bother to ‘ah’-ed this one?”

“Because, I usually receive those letters directly from the writers so this is a new thing.”

Tao put on his shirt and closed his locker, “Read it then.”

Kai put on his own shirt first then opened the sky blue envelop, one of his favorites color. He had a feeling that the writer knew much about him.

Tao moved closer beside Kai then started reading the letter together with Kai.

I don’t think you would know me even though I told you my name. So, I didn’t.

My first letter to you ever, maybe there will be the second or more. I don’t know.

I love to see you dancing. You have smooth movements. I wonder what you’ve eaten so you got that lithe body.

Do I sound like a ert? No, I’m not a ert. Trust me, I’m not lying.

A bad introduction from me,

D.O

A smooth handwriting, Kai loved it. And he chuckled at the letter. The diction was kind of funny.

“I wonder whose letter this is.” Kai mumbled, “D.O? Is there any student named D.O in our school?”

“Is it a kind of initial or nick name?” Tao tapped his chin, “I don’t know, I’m new here.”

Kai shrugged and put the letter into his bag, not locker. He decided to bring it into his room.

That was a right time when Minseok and Yixing came in.

“Oh, hi, you two.” Yixing greeted them with a bright smile until his dimple appeared.

“Hi, Yixing, Minseok.” Kai smiled back, “You’re going to be late if not hurry.”

“Whoop, you’re right!” Yixing made a face after seeing his watch, “Hurry, Bao Zi.”

Minseok just gave Kai and Tao a light nod before opening his own locker. He put off his uniform first, revealing the milky back for Tao to see.

Kai felt Tao clutching his shirt in understandable tightness.

“Err…” Kai started, “We have to help the teacher with the balls, and we’ll go first, okay.”

“See you.” Yixing nodded. Minseok, well, as usual, just kept changing his uniform like nothing happened. Lucky Tao, he had been dragged out by Kai before Minseok finished unbuckle his belt. Milky back and thighs wouldn’t be good for Tao’s sake.

“Look at you.” Kai chuckled, “You’re red like boiled crab.”

“Don’t you see Minseok’s skin back there?!” Tao almost screamed, “Damn, I’m feeling ert…”

Kai laughed now, “So, cute! I never saw you this panicked.”

“Oh, shut the up!” Tao pushed Kai’s shoulder and ran toward the basket court.

“Oh, Tao!” Kai whispered, “Don’t attack some random student this time, okay?”

Kai’s mouth was shut by a smack on the head by Tao.

 

 

Kris sipped from his cup and leaned back onto his chair comfortably. A hot cappuccino in the morning was always good for him.

He faced the window and realized it was Tao who smacked Kai on the head. From third floor window, he could see the whole field clearly. But, the one he had been searching for wasn’t there.

Kris got up from his chair and swept the whole field with his eyes until the figure he wanted to see the most appeared from the locker room with his best friend. Unconsciously, Kris lips curled up with a relieved sighed. He sat back on his chair and enjoyed the view of Yixing running around the field with other students for stretching.

After the athletic, the teacher turned out to do a tug of war game. The student looked cheering from the field, except Yixing. Kris saw Yixing bit his lower lip nervously. Minseok approached him and looked like whispering something to Yixing. The said boy sighed and approached the PE teacher. They walked further from the student group and had a short serious talk before finally the teacher nodded and Yixing walked toward the bench beside the court.

Kris frowned at the sight.

“Won’t he play?” He asked whisperingly to himself, “Wasn’t he okay before?”

Minseok approached Yixing and gave a pat before running toward other students.

Kris could say that Yixing was a little bit disappointed. Yixing kept sighing and wearing the sad expression watching the other students during the PE class. And Kris didn’t like the sad Yixing. For him, Yixing always had to smile.

“What’s wrong with him?”

 

 

“Yo!” Kai patted, more like smacked, Kris on the back.

“It hurts, Bastard.” Kris responded coldly.

“Firstly,” Tao laughed to see Kris’ face, “I don’t think the president of student council could say such things. And then, I don’t think normal people would say curses with expressionless face like you.”

“Shut up, Panda.” Kris growled and buried his face to his book again. Then, he remembered something.

“In PE class, you played tug of war, right?” He asked his friends.

“Are you stalking us?!” Tao let out a fake scared muffled.

“No, Tao!” Kai laughed, “He’s stalking Yixing.”

“Ah!” Tao nodded ignorantly, “I almost forgot about that Yixing boy.”

Kris felt his face warmer but held his urge to choke both of his friends’ necks right there.

“Why didn’t he play along with you?”

“Ah.” Kai nodded, “From the rumor I heard, he has hemophilia. He couldn’t get injured or it would be hard to heal.”

Kris widened his eyes, “Hemo...impossible!”

“Well, it’s the reason he never played the game that would probably hurt him.”

 

 

“Ouch!”

Tao looked up curiously toward Yixing’s table, “What’s it, Yixing?”

“Err, no. I hit my hip to the corner of the table.” Yixing smiled awkwardly, “Ahh, it would be bruised soon.”

“Hum, I know this is none of my business.” Tao cleared his throat, “But, what I heard from Kai that you have hemophilia. Is…is it right?”

Yixing sighed sadly, “He’s right. That’s why I didn’t play the game in PE class earlier.”

“Hmm…” Tao nodded, “You have to be more careful. I guess if your hip bruises it will stay there for a long time.”

Yixing nodded, “But, other that that I’m pretty good! So, don’t worry!”

Tao smiled. Yixing was indeed a tough guy.

Then, a row of soft knocks came from the door.

“Ah, it must be Minseok.” Yixing was getting up to the door while Tao was tensing on his own bed.

“Hi, Bao Zi!” Yixing’s voice was heard, “Come in.”

Tao heard a soft hum of agreement from Minseok. The memory of Minseok’s blood smell was bothering him. He gripped the sheet tightly, exhaling much oxygen to his lungs until he calmed.

Relax, Tao! You can hold it!, Tao told himself.

Tao looked up then their eyes met. Minseok gave a small nod before sitting on the edge of Yixing’s bed.

“What do you want to drink, Min?” Yixing asked his friend.

“Water is good.” Minseok replied softly.

“Tao, do you want me to make you something?”

“Hum, coke is okay.” Tao nodded.

“Okay.” Yixing replied from the counter.

Minseok took the Chinese book from Yixing’s shelf then put on his reading glasses before reading it in silence.

It gave Tao time to observe the chubby quiet boy.

Minseok was wearing a short denim pants along with white shirt and dark blue over-sized jacket. And Tao noticed Minseok was wearing a necklace with hexagon pendant. Tao eyes kept observing Minseok up until their eyes met.

Minseok’s eyes, from behind the glasses, questioned for what Tao was doing.

“Something wrong?” Minseok asked.

“Ah. No.” Tao shook his head and scratched his cheek nervously.

Minseok kept staring at Tao for a while, searching for a reason, and then got his eyes back to his book when he found nothing.

“Drinks are coming.” Yixing sang, serving the glasses on his own table, “So, let’s begin with the lesson, okay?”

“Lesson?” Tao curiously asked.

“Minseok wants to learn Chinese, so, I teach him.” Yixing smiled, “Oh, but next week I can’t teach you. Well, I have something to do in student council.”

“I can replace you.” Tao suggested without thinking. Both of boys in front of him looked at him curiously. Tao hurriedly added, “Well, I’m Chinese too, I mean I don’t mind to help you, Yixing. I mean if you don’t mind, Minseok.”

“Good idea!” Yixing clapped his hands, “So, how’s it, Bao Zi?”

Minseok looked aware of Tao for a while before nodding.

“Settled, then!” Yixing nodded, “Why don’t you start teaching Min now? Well, I help you, for this first meeting.”

“I…it depends on Minseok.”

Minseok nodded and opened his Chinese book, “Thanks for helping me.”

 

 

Somehow, it ended with Tao walking Minseok back to his own room.

“You don’t have to walk me back.” Minseok hesitantly said.

“Nah, it’s okay. It’s a nice night to take a walk.” Tao smiled.

“But…” Minseok bit his lower lip, making Tao staring at his plump lips.

“Why?” Tao smirked playfully, “Are you afraid that I might do something bad to you?”

“It’s not what I mean…” Minseok answered softly, cheeks reddening.

!, Tao cursed on his mind because Minseok’s blood smell was invading his nostril, Hold on, Huang Zi Tao!

“Tao…? Are you okay?”

Tao opened his eyes that he didn’t know he had closed them before. He saw Minseok’s worry eyes looking at him.

“Ah…” Tao nodded after finally the smell wasn’t lingering anymore, “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.”

Minseok was still staring at Tao anxiously, making the taller boy chuckled.

“I’m okay.” Tao said, patting Minseok’s shoulder, avoiding the head since he knew it would make Minseok blush again.

“Next week, same day, same time again, then? Can we just use my room?” Minseok asked Tao after unlocking his door.

“Okay.” Tao nodded.

“Okay.”

The last thing Tao saw before Miseok closed his door was an angelic smile and a pair of crescents hanging on Minseok’s face.

Tao would get a sweet dream that night.