Chapter One

The Breaking of Desire

 

A tall Chinese boy with scary but handsome feature stood in front of the map board of his new school. It was his first day in his new school, all-boys school one. The yard had been so empty, he was sure that the other students had gone into their classes since it had been ten o’clock in the morning. He was transferred because his father had to do something related his job in Korea, it was what they said. But no, his real reason was to meet other vampires, his kind, in Korea. There was something they had to talk about. It was about their plan. Of course no one knew about that other than him and his friends there.

Scratching his not-so-itchy cheek, he dragged his feet into the pavilion of the school. He remembered his friend said that the first thing he had to do when he had arrived in his school was to search the principal room. He found it after seeing the map before. With his knuckles, he knocked the wooden door softly.

“Come in.” A faint voice came from the inside.

“Excuse me…” He said.

“Ah.” The principal, looked like a fifties man, smiled to him, “You must be Huang Zi Tao, right?”

The said boy nodded shyly.

“Yes, yes. Come here, I have to give you your student card and your room key.”

Tao approached the wooden table slowly and the old man gave him his student card and a silver key.

“Those are two things you have to keep carefully.” He told Tao, “You will share a room with other boys. A room will be filled by three students. You’ll find out who they are soon.”

“Thank you…” Tao bowed, “Do I have to enter the class now?”

“It depends on you. The flight from china must be tiring so you can get into your class now or tomorrow.”

“Hmm…” Tao nodded, “I think I’ll enter the class after the lunch break. I’ll unpack my luggage first until then. Thank you for now.”

Tao gave the old man a last bow and stepped out from the room. He looked at his student card; there were his full name, date of birth, class and the room number. He wondered how his roommates looked like. And he hoped there was at least one of his friends roomed with him.

When he’d found his room on the fourth floor (bless the school, they put a lift), he opened the door with the key in his hand and entered the spacey room. There were three beds in a row and a set of wardrobe, table and chair beside each bed. It looked like all beds had been owned except the one that was furthest from the door. He put his luggage on the bed and cracked his tired limbs. After settling his clothes in the wardrobe and put his luggage on it, Tao relaxed his body on the bed, sighing contently. He looked the ceiling and decided to look around. His target was surely the nearest one that was on his right side. He got up of his bed and observed the table. There weren’t so many books settled on the table. There were some lesson books. He put it and moved closer to the last set. The table wasn’t filled by so many books. There were several of them but not many. Then, Tao sniffed familiar smell came from all things on that spot, a scent of his kind.

A smile crept up his handsome face. As long as he knew, there were two vampires in the school, and now he had found one. He took one of the books then sniffed it more intensely.

“I know this scent…” He mumbled.

“Hey, isn’t it impolite to sniff something that isn’t yours?” Someone’s voice was heard from the door.

Tao turned his face and smiled wider, he knew who it was, “Kris! I know it’s you!”

“And you you’re not going to greet me, huh??” Another boy appeared.

“Kai!” Tao called him. He approached them and hugged them since it had been a long time ago since the last time he met them.

“How did you know I was here?” Tao asked them.

Kai touched his own nose and answered, “We smelled your scent.”

“How was your trip?” Kris asked Tao.

“Well,” Tao rubbed his temple, “It was a little bit tiring but it’s okay. By the way, Kai, is it a human who will have that spot?”

Kai looked at the direction Tao pointed and nodded, “Yup. His name is Zhang Yixing. And he’s this guy’s crush.”

Kai nudged the cold guy beside him whose face now was a little bit red.

“Hee, so you have a crush to this Yixing, Kris?” Tao narrowed his eyes playfully.

“Shut up. I don’t have any feeling for him.” Kris replied coldly, but his face reddened even more.

“As cold as Magnum ice cream. Like usual.” Tao laughed, “But, as red as tomato too.”

Kris just grumbled something in English like, ‘ you, Brat!’

“So, as a host, why don’t you take me around?” Tao stretched his arms.

“Well, sorry, but I can’t. I have a class in about thirty minutes and now I have to finish something in student council.” Kris shrugged, “I go first. See you at lunch.”

“Student council?” Tao asked Kai after Kris had gone.

Kai laughed at that, “I thought you would not believe that he’s a president of student council.”

“Really?! Person like him?! Impossible! And didn’t he bite someone there??”

“Well, you know that he could control his hunger better than us.”

Tao frowned, “Well, I think I will have a hard time with that Yixing beside my bed.”

“Kris will kill you if you do anything to him.”

“And I don’t want to get that risk.” Tao laughed, “I still want to live.”

“Come on. Let’s take a walk.” Kai invited his friend.

“Don’t you have class?”

Kai smirked, showing his fangs playfully, “I skipped it. Now, let’s go!”

 

 

The lunch time came right after Kai had finished showing where the music hall was. Deciding to continue the tour later, Kai and Tao got into the queue in front of the food counter.

“Hey, Kai.” Someone behind them called Kai’s name.

“Oh,” Kai clapped his hands together, “Yixing. Tao, this Yixing. Yixing, this is Tao our new roommate.”

“So it’s you.” Yixing smiled widely, “The principal has told me about you.”

“Nice to meet you.” Tao nodded. He observed Yixing, he wanted to know what Kris liked from that guy.

“Oh, and this is my friend.” Yixing patted his friend beside him, “Hmm, he doesn’t talk much. His name’s Kim Minseok.”

The said chubby boy just gave little nod before taking his own tray and stepped forward.

“Hee…? What an attitude.” Tao mumbled.

“He’s a kind boy if you know him closely…” Yixing smiled nervously, “He just…doesn’t like people…”

“And why’s that?”

Yixing shrugged, “Sorry but I can’t tell you. By the way, Tao, I hope we can go along well since we’re in the same room.”

Yixing smiled for the last time and followed his friend.

Tao was left in curiosity. He had never met a person so quiet like Minseok before. Yes, Kris was a cold bastard, but no, he wasn’t that quiet. He did talk.

“Kim Minseok, eh?” Kai rolled his fingers and made fingers-binoculars, “He’s so cold and quiet. No one could get closer to him since the first time he was here. It’s just Yixing who can talk to him.”

“But…” Tao smirked, showing his own fangs, “His blood smells sweet, don’t you think?”

Kai closed Tao’s mouth and hissed, “Do you want us to get known, huh?!”

“Sorry.” Tao shrugged, “Can’t handle it. His blood smell is too sweet to handle.”

“It’s not going to be easy to get him, you know?”

“I know. But, it doesn’t mean it’s not worthy to try.”

Kai shrugged and took a slice of grilled meat, “Whatever.”

“Oh, it’s Kris over there.” Tao pointed a certain boy sitting at the corner, piercing his gaze to something opposite than him. And it was Yixing.

“You have to stop that deathly glare and ask him out already.” Tao chuckled.

Kris looked up to his friend and buried his face back into his book again. Kai chuckled and took Kris’ book before settling it rightly on Kris’ hands.

“You read it upside down, don’t you know? Now, eat your lunch and you can continue starring at him desperately in our class.”

“I’m not…” Kris’ hissed lowly, “starring at him desperately!”

“Yeah, yeah. We could see it, now get beck to your meal or you’re going to miss it.” Kai continued chewing his food calmly.

Kris grumbled and ate his food again.

Tao found them amusing.

 

 

 

After the class Tao decided to get back to his room and left Kai alone. The latter went to the hall and saw a bunch of students seeing something on the announcement board.

It was the score announcement.

“Kris got the second place again.” He mumbled. And the first, as usual, was Do Kyungsoo.

“Woo, what a smart kid!” Someone cheered out loud, “Congrats, Kyungsoo!”

Kai turned his face to his left side and found a boy with glasses was patted everywhere.

Is he Do Kyungsoo?, Kai thought.

Somehow, their eyes finally meet for the first time. Realizing that Kyungsoo looked at him, Kai gave him a small smile to the boy. Kyungsoo gave a nervous smile back before running out of the crowd and disappeared.

What did I do?, Kai frowned, He ran like he’d just seen a ghost…am I that scary?

 

 

Tao was rolling back and forth in his bed, reading a book lazily with a headphone on his head. Suddenly, he heard a row of soft knocks from the doorway. With a soft groan, he got off his bed and opened the door. He just never expected that he would find Minseok in front of his room door.

“Eh?” Tao raised his eyebrows, “You’re Minseok, Yixing’s friend, right?”

Minseok tiptoed to peek through Tao’s taller shoulder and sighed. And without a word he walked away.

“Eh, eh, wait! Minseok!”

The called boy stopped and turned his face.

“Hmm…” Tao scratching his head, “You’re looking for Yixing, right?”

Minseok gave a short nod as an answer.

“So, do you want to wait for him inside?”

Minseok took a short time of silence before finally shaking his head and continued walking away. And all Tao could do was just sighed and closed his door behind again.

 

 

 

Yixing stood up from his chair and approached the serious president council with files in his arm.

“Here. These are the files you wanted me to look for.” Yixing said, “You look so serious.”

Kris looked up, his heart skipped a beat but he didn’t show it.

“Ah, thanks.” Kris answered shortly.

“You look exhausted.” Yixing sighed and sat on the sofa in front of Kris’ table, “Why don’t you get some rest before continue your work?”

Kris looked hesitant, “I…haven’t finished these.”

“Oh, come on.” Yixing chuckled, “A short rest won’t kill you. Get some rest. I’ll make you a cup of hot tea.”

Kris sighed and put off his glasses before making his way to sit on the sofa. He waited for Yixing coming back with a cup of tea.

“Here.” Yixing put the tea on the coffee table. The vanilla scent from the tea was lingering in the air.

It was a dead silence. Just the sound of Kris stirring the tea was heard in the room. Suddenly, Yixing stood up.

“I don’t have anything to do here. Can I get back to my room?”

“Oh…” Kris sipped a little before nodding, “Yes, you can. Thanks for your work.”

Yixing smiled warmly and got out from the room. Kris only could stare until the door closed with a soft thud.

“Damn…” Kris whispered, clutching his chest tight, “What’s wrong with me?”

 

 

The opened door sound woke Tao up from his daydream.

“Oh, you’ve come back.” Tao smiled to Yixing who had just come back.

“Hi, Tao.” Yixing smiled.

Tao got into sitting position and asked his roommate, “Where have you been? There was someone looking for you earlier.”

“I’ve been in student council room. I have to help Kris. And who was looking for me?”

Tao remembered that Kris definitely had something to Yixing and made a mental note to tease the older boy later.

“Tao?” Yixing repeated his question, “Who was it?”

“Oh, ah, hmm, it was Minseok.”

Yixing hit his own forehead softly, “Oh, right! I forgot that I had an appointment with him! I’ll go again, okay?”

“Wait!” Tao suddenly stopped him.

Yixing raised his eyebrows curiously, “Yes?”

“Well…hmm, can I come?”

Yixing raised his eyebrows even more. Tao scratched his suddenly-itchy head, “Well…I’m bored here…and I don’t have anything to do and…I want to know more about Minseok too, if you don’t mind…”

Yixing smiled and nodded, “It’ll be hard to talk with him, but why not. Come on.”

Tao took his jacket and locked the door, “Is he…that quiet?”

Yixing frowned, tapping his chin gently, “Well, not really…but yes.”

“So, is he or is he not?” Tao chuckled.

“Well, yes, yes. He’s quiet and cold, maybe. But he does talk to me, you know?”

“Why?” Tao frowned, “Why doesn’t he like people? Did he get something bad in the past?”

“Sort of…”

“But, you seem pretty close with him.”

Yixing smiled sadly, “Because I’ve known him since we were kids, when he wasn’t like now.”

“Now, I’m really dead curious.” Tao said after silence for a while.

“Sorry, can’t tell.” Yixing chuckled, “Oh, we’re here.”

Yixing knocked the door softly and a familiar boy opened it for them.

“Hi, Bao Zi.” Yixing smiled.

Minseok blinked for a while when he looked Tao behind Yixing's back. And he just sighed before making way for Tao and Yixing to get in.

“Here, the book I borrowed from you.” Yixing put a book on the wooden table, “Thanks.”

“What would you like to drink?” Minseok asked softly in sudden.

“Coke, please.” Yixing replied immediately.

Tao was amazed. It was the first time he heard Minseok’s voice. It was so soft and smooth. Tao had to process it for some time before answering.

“Ah…I just pick tea.”

Minseok nodded before preparing the drinks on the tiny counter.

It was an awkward moment for them, especially for Tao. He didn’t know how to follow the topic. And he never saw Minseok smile or just made expression. His face was so flat until Tao couldn’t understand what kind of emotion Minseok was feeling. But, Yixing seemed understand what emotions were Minseok giving him. It made him a little bit curious, well, much curious.

After a while, suddenly a ring was heard.

“Eh?! In front of the school? Why didn’t you call me earlier??” Yixing suddenly got up, taking his phone, “Tao, Min, sorry, I have to go now. My mother is here. See you!”

“Wait…ah…” Tao tried but Yixing had gone after the door.

And it was more awkward after Yixing had left. Tao sipped his tea quietly when Minseok was just watching the cloud through the window.

“Hmm, Minseok?” Tao tried.

Minseok turned his face to Tao and raised his eyebrows a little bit as a question.

“Hmm, you know Kris, right?”

Minseok nodded a little bit.

“You know what, although he looks cool and smart now, when he was a child he had ever slipped into the pond because of a kite. He was running the kite excitedly and fell down. Isn’t it funny?”

Tao laughed awkwardly when Minseok was just wearing that expressionless face. Knowing that he was failed in the joke, Tao quietly sipped his tea. But, since he forgot the tea was hot, he spat it out and accidently poured his hot tea to his thighs. He jumped off because the tea was burning his skin.

“Agh! It’s hot!” Tao cried.

Minseok hurriedly grabbed Tao into the bathroom and sprayed not only Tao’s thighs but also Tao’s body and face with the cold water until Tao was wet like drown in rain.

“Ah…it was too much…” Tao wiped his wet face with a straight face.

Minseok stared at Tao for a while before finally curling his lips up and let out a short soft laugh. Tao widened his eyes now. He didn’t only hear Minseok’s voice but also Minseok’s laugh, although it was so short. It was too much for a day!

“I’m sorry.” Minseok apologized after finishing his laugh and bowed a little, “I’ll get you some clothes. Wait.”

“Ah…yes…” Tao answered speechlessly.

Minseok left him for a while and got back with set of clothes in his hands, “Here. I’ll wait outside.”

Tao looked the clothes in his hands and smiled, “He just shocked me…”

He dried the clothes with his hands then put it into the plastic bag.

“Hmm, thanks for borrowing your clothes.” Tao scratched his head again, now it became a habit if he was nervous or shy.

“You're welcome.” Minseok nodded.

Tao approached him nervously until he could see Minseok’s face properly. And of course, Minseok was more beautiful from that new angle. Tao raised his hand and petted Minseok’s head gently.

“You…look better smiling, you know that?”

Minseok’s face was reddening a little bit. And that what made Tao was snapped mentally. The smell of Minseok’s blood was too strong, too sweet to handle. Tao stepped back slowly, resisting the urge to jump and bite Minseok there.

“I…I’ll be leaving now. Thanks for the clothes I’ll get it back to you as soon as possible. I have to go now. See you…” Tao said stutteringly before running out from the room like chased by demon, leaving the clueless Minseok behind.