Futile Efforts

What? I can't Believe you were still a !

 

THUD!

 

Leslee slammed into someone else’s body. She almost fell to the floor back first, if it wasn’t for a pair of arms that supported her. With her eyes closed, her heart started to race for everything happened so fast. It wasn’t until after 3 seconds that she realized that she’s not going to hit the ground.

 

At least, not yet.

 

As she opened her eyes, it came across another pair. It was a guy who caught her. The guy was staring straight at her when she suddenly lost her balanced and fell, dragging her savior along with her.  Leslee’s back slammed against the hard floor. Good thing her head didn’t. The pair of hands that were previously on her back were swiftly transferred to her head. After a minute, her heart stopped racing so she was finally able to raise her head a little bit. She opened her eyes.

 

She immediately regretted the decision.

 

Both of their faces were so close. The tip of her nose was already touching his. She stared at her for three seconds until her head fell on the guy’s hand. This time, she cannot raise it up anymore.

 

“My efforts for you not to hit the ground were futile.” The guy chuckled. He broke the silence between them.

 

Leslee blinked twice. The guy realized that he hadn’t moved an inch and they were in an extremely awkward position.

 

“Sorry.” The guy said while standing up. He held a hand to the girl lying on the floor.

“Thanks.” Leslee said as she got up.

“I should be the one saying sorry. I wasn’t looking where I was going and I bumped into you.” Leslee walked to pick up the book that the guy threw just to keep her from falling.

“It’s a heavy book you got here.”

 

It was indeed heavy. The book must be at least a thousand pages. ‘A People's Tragedy: A History of the Russian Revolution’ She managed to read the title.

 

“Well, yeah. I have a paper for the Russian Revolution. Are you alright?” The guy said while getting the book from the girl’s hand.

“Yeah I’m fine. Oh, I see. You have a long paper to write then.”

“How could you tell?”

“Well if you’re referencing that book, you must be writing something long.”

The guy snickered.

“Impressive.”

“I get that a lot. I’m Leslee. You are?”

 

The guy was taken aback. So, there are still people in this school who don’t know who he is. The guy smiled. He took out his hand.

 

“I’m Suho. Nice to meet you Leslee.”

 

She shook his hand. Somehow, she could read the expressions on his face.

 

Were those  disbelief and relief at the same time?

 

“Don’t get me wrong. I do know you’re from EXO. I just don’t know your name.”

 

The guy looked puzzled.

 

“You’re just not a fan I guess?”

“I love your music.”

“Yet you don’t know who we are?”

“Well, not all of you.”

Leslee smirked.

“Oh I see. A bias perhaps?”

“If you define bias as the one who is your favorite for any apparent reason then, no.”

Favorite won’t quite describe what I’m feeling.

“Then what is it?”

“Let’s just say that I know the name of that person for personal reasons.”

 

Suho laughed.

 

“I guess you won’t back down.”

“I rarely do.”

 

Leslee suddenly diverted her gaze into something or someone else. Her peripheral vision sensed that something or someone moved. Her eyes followed it. She let out a sigh. Suho was about to follow her line of vision when she suddenly spoke.

 

“It was nice meeting and talking to someone like you here.”

 

Suho had a puzzled look again.

 

“And why is that?”

“Nothing really, it just felt nice.”

 

Damn right it was nice. At least I didn’t seem like a stalker. But more importantly, I didn’t feel like one too. Somehow, I feel less pathetic.

 

“Anyway, I have no reason to be here anymore. So I’ll get going.”

“Ok then. Nice meeting you.” Suho flashed a beautiful smile.

 

Leslee took a few steps away from Suho when an idea popped into her mind. She turned around. But Suho was nowhere to be found. It took a while but her eyes were able to lay upon him again. He was now seated by himself. She made her way towards his table and sat on the opposite side of him.

 

“I thought you were leaving already?” Suho was surprised to see the girl in front of him.

“I just wanna ask you, if you too have no reason to prolong your stay here, would you like to have a cup of coffee with me?”

 

Now that was something that Suho never expected. Leslee smiled. Apparently, the girl is seeing right through his expression.

 

“We have only known each other for like what? Less than an hour and you’re already asking me out?”

 

The guy can’t help but challenged the girl in front of him.

 

Leslee stood from her seat and went beside Suho. She bent down so that her lips were so close to his right ear and she whispered so softly,

 

“Not in a million years, Suho-ssi.”

 

He faced the girl slowly. Their faces were so close, like how they were before. However, Leslee didn’t cringe, not even the slightest. The girl was very amused by the boy’s reaction. She can’t help but put on a smile. Somehow, feeling satisfied, she stood up and started walking away. The boy can’t help but be intrigued with the girl as a smirk escaped from his lips.