One Heck of an Eventful Dinner

Our Fish Son and his Monkey Boyfriend

3rd person

 

As his room door slid open, an impatient man with light brown hair jumped up from the leather couch that he was resting on. His large boned friend walked in quietly and sat across from the equally huge and menacing man.

"Are you sure it'll work, Shindong?"

"Positive. There is nothing that scares kids more than misunderstandings. And me."

"Can't we just go with the hitmen and the man eating sharks?"

"No. I don't want to get into any more trouble with the police...and Nari. Mostly Nari."

 

~an hour later~

 

Kangin grinned as he heard the front door open. Leeteuk was in the bathroom "primping", Minho was running late from soccer practice, and Donghae wasn't expecting Hyukjae to actually arrive on time (he scoffed at the notion). Giving the diabolical-I mean, completely innocent father a chance to "get to know" Hyukjae.

The blonde boy slowly walked into the dining room, wary of his surroundings. Donghae had warned him that Kangin might've hired some hitmen to kill him or set up some y traps in the house. Donghae also gave him a silver cup to test all his drinks in just in case there was poison in any. But most nerve-wrackingly, he was meeting his boyfriend's father for the first time.

Hyukjae grinned nervously at the man at the head of the table.

"G-Good afternoon Mr. Kim. Err...Sir. Thank you for inviting me to your beautiful home, sir."

"My pleasure. Why don't you take a seat, Hyukjae? I have much to ask you."

The boy nodded and sat at the other end of the long black table. It reminded him of an interrogation table at a police station.

"Hyukjae, my boy, what do you think of my son?"

"He's wonderful. I don't deserve someone like Kim Donghae."

Suddenly, the man pounded on the table in rage.

"So you think you can do better than him? Let me tell you, Donghae is the be-"

"That's not at all what I meant sir! I meant to say that Donghae deserves better than me and-and-err...he is the most-"

Donghae burst into the room and stormed up to the large man.

"THIS ISN'T FUNNY, UNCLE SHINDONG! COME OUT DAD!"

Hyukjae looked around in confusion.

"I thought...Isn't he Mr. Kim?" he asked, pointing to Shindong.

Shindong laughed, clutching his stomach, as he listened to Hyukjae.

"Nah...I'm a lot more friendly than Donghae's dad. I'm his maternal uncle, Kangin usually hires me to scare the boyfriends away. My name's Shindong. Nice to meet you." he chuckled, holding out his hand.

The blonde boy just shook the hand in front of him in shock. Meanwhile, his boyfriend fumed at the man that had just came from under the table.

"Dad! How could you?!?! Did you really have to prank Hyukjae the moment he got here?!" Donghae reprimanded his father.

Kangin hung his head in shame.

"I'm sorry...I wanted to see if my usual tactics would work..." he said quietly.

Hearing all the commotion, Leeteuk came down the stairs. It was the first time that Hyukjae saw Donghae's mother, but he saw where his boyfriend got his beauty and grace. Leeteuk was elegant and almost shimmeringly exquisite even in the frown that he wore on his pale face.

The mother tutted, "What's all this fuss about?", as he rose his delicate eyebrows

Everyone, including Hyukjae responded, "Nothing!"

 

~

 

The table was silent as everyone waited for Leeteuk to arrive with the food. Shindong had left hastily after receiving a phone call, muttering something about homicidal wives. After his departure, Minho had arrived with his best friend, Taemin. Now all of the men were gathered around the wooden table in an awkward silence.

Seeing the quiet and deciding that it was his duty as the mature younger brother to crack it, Minho sat up and tried to initiate conversation.

"So Hyukjae hyung, how did you and Donghae hyung meet?" he asked, tapping on the empty plate in front of him.

Hyukjae looked at Donghae in worry. Donghae did the same to Hyukjae. They had met at a friend's party and both of them had been drunk (and ) out of their minds. Where they first met wasn't a sensitive topic, but what they did right after they met was.

Hyukjae fiddled with his hands a bit before answering.

"We met at my friend Kyuhyun's halloween party two years ago." he answered slowly.

Minho nodded, satisfied with the answer. It was silent again.

"So, how'd you guys start dating?" It was now Taemin's turn to try and invoke conversation.

Kangin sent Hyukjae a glare before turning his attention onto tapping his fork impatiently. Hyukjae and his brunette boyfriend froze. This was one question that the couple had no intention of asking truthfully.

Thankfully, Leeteuk jumped to their rescue.

"Dinner's ready!" he shouted from the kitchen.

Hyukjae and Donghae immediately shot up to help Leeteuk. They practically ran to the kitchen, eager not to respond to Taemin, who wore a knowing look on his face.

As the couple hoisted the quite large platters into their arms, Minho leaned down to his friend's ear and whispered, "What was that about?"

Taemin chuckled and pat Minho's head.

"Apparently, they didn't exactly have one of the most orthodox meetings."

 

~

 

The table was now full of the delicacies that Leeteuk had created and everyone stared hungrily at it. Except for Leeteuk. He insisted that everyone say a few words in honor of having Hyukjae over for the first time. The mother started.

"Well, I would just like to say that Hyukjae seems like a wonderful boy and I hope that he's the one for Donghae."

"I don't know what to say besides Hyukjae hyung looks at Donghae hyung the way the Taeminnie looks at banana milk. Enough said."

Donghae shot his brother a glare as the parents coughed in surprise. Hyukjae just facepalmed.

Taemin looked at the couple as he said, "Well, I think Hyukjae hyung and Donghae hyung will have beautiful babies together."

Everyone's eyes grew wide, but they continued on.

"I love Hyukjae and like Mom said, I hope we stay together for a long time." Donghae smiled.

Hyukjae pat Donghae's hand and replied, "As long as you want me."

Kangin merely shifted in his seat awkwardly and looked at Hyukjae disdainfully.

Leeteuk nudged his husband.

"Go on." he encouraged.

The large man looked around at everyone's hopeful eyes and cleared his throat.

"Well...My mother always said that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all."

"Kangin! That's rude!" shrieked Leeteuk.

Hyukjae smiled nervously, he knew this would happen, so he had braced himself for it.

"It's okay, I'm not upset." he said calmly.

Donghae shot his father a strong glare.

"Dad, say something nice! Or else I'll tell everyone about the tape that you and Mom made while Minho and I were at school!" he threatened.

Kangin and Leeteuk went pale as Minho, Taemin, and Hyukjae stared at them in shock.

Minho's eyes grew wide as he whispered to his brother.

"What tape?"

"Well, Da-"

"Fine! I'll say something nice!" screamed Kangin.

"Thank you."

"Hyukjae, you seem like a respectable man. I hope I don't end up castrating you because you hurt my son."

Everyone fell silent.

Finally, Minho spoke up, tearful and clapping.

"That was the kindest speech I've ever heard Dad say to one of hyung's boyfriends. Congratulations, Hyukjae hyung!"