Sailing Through

Finding Her Heart

 

 

 

 

 

 

What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves? This is the most important of all voyages of discovery, and without it, all the rest are not only useless, but disastrous. 
Thomas Merton

 

 

 

 

Sooyoung plopped the folders down on her desk harshly, startling Yuri who was leaning on top of it.

“Yah KkabYul! You didn’t tell me that Tiffany was married! She even has a daughter!” She took a seat across her friend.

“So….?” Yuri raised her eyebrow.

“You’re planning to ask her out, don’t you?!”

She looked down and played with the edges of the table. “What?! We’re good friends!”

“You obviously like her, Yul. You can’t lie to me.”

“Stop blabbering nonsense Sooyoung!”

“She was married and has a daughter!” Sooyoung raised her tone this time.

Yuri looked back at Sooyoung’s judging stare. “So what if she’s a widow and has a daughter?! It doesn’t make her less of a wonderful person! She’s even better than me, I think.”

“Sigh… Now you admit it… you really like her huh? You just haven’t recognized your feelings yet.”

Yuri merely looked down again, avoiding her best friend’s gaze.

“Think about it Yuri-yah… I’m not disapproving you or anything… I’m just making you realize that this time it’s different. You’ll have a bigger load to deal with. It’s like a package deal, Tiffany and her daughter. Not to mention her deceased husband… We’re not even sure if she’s into girls… Please don’t creep her out or something.”

“Who said she had a husband?”

“What? She was married? And even has a child?” Sooyoung repeated the facts inside her head, confused.

“Yep. But, she was married with a girl. And their child was only adopted.”

Sooyoung’s eyes rounded in shock. “Wha-WHAT?!?! Ti-Tiffany… sh-she swings that way too? Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“I don’t have the right to tell you! But since you’re my best friend, I thought you should know…. Now, you can stop worrying.”

“I need this information to sink in my brain first.” Sooyoung placed her hands on both sides of her forehead.

“Do you even have one?!” Yuri smirked.

“YAH!” Sooyoung smacked her with one of the folders on her desk. “But Yuri, think about it first. Consider her feelings, will you?”

Yuri pondered. “I am doing that!” She thought about their conversation. “Hey now you make me feel like I backstabbed Fany…. I just blabbered about her life… Sigh… I should apologize to her…”

“I am not just anyone! I am your best friend, Yuri-yah! Don’t worry, I’ll talk to her. I will eventually know everything, anyway.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean! If she would become your future girlfriend then why not tell it now?! Makes it less confusing.”

“Now for the one who’s telling me to be considerate and slow.. Sigh!”

“I’m just predicting the obvious future you know.”

Yuri felt her phone vibrating on her pocket. “Whatever you loud shikshin!” She looked at the caller ID and grinned before answering. “Hey Fany!.... Yeah…. No! I haven’t forgotten.. Restaurant down the block?.. Okay… See you! Be safe!”

“You’re so whipped, Yuri! You two are hanging out every day for this whole week!”

Yuri let her tongue out. “We’ll gotta run! Bye shikshin!”

“Go run! Fly! Swim! Shoo!”

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

The train station was not congested with people, only a few passengers were lurking around during the chilly afternoon in Seoul.

“Thanks for everything, Hyoyeon-ah.” Tiffany hugged her friend.

“No worries, Tiffany. Too bad Sunny’s not back here yet.” She smiled as they pulled away from the hug. She then turned to the little girl who was clutching Tiffany’s hand. “Do well Seohyun-ah! Take care of your umma, okay?”

“I will Unnie!” Hyoyeon ruffled Seohyun’s hair.

“Tiffany!” The girls heard the voice and turned around. “Hey sorry… I wasn’t able to join you on your way here… It took forever to say goodbye at my former headquarters.”

“It’s okay.” Tiffany glanced at Hyoyeon who was eyeing them. “Uhm.. Yuri, this is my friend, Hyoyeon. Hyo, my friend, Yuri.

“Hello!” Yuri extended her hand.

“Hello, Yuri!” Hyoyeon smiled and shook Yuri’s hand.

“She’s my doctor, unnie! She takes care of me like you do!” Seohyun proudly said.

“Oh, that’s nice!” Yuri smiled at Hyoyeon.

“I guess you two met in Chungsando?” Hyoyeon asked Tiffany and Yuri.

The two nodded. The speakers echoed through the train station, asking the passengers to board the train.

“We’ll get going! Bye Hyoyeon-ah! Take care of yourself!” Tiffany hugged her friend for the last time and picked up their luggage.

“Take care Tiffany, Seohyun! And you too Yuri, nice meeting you by the way!”

“Nice meeting you too!” Yuri smiled and picked up her luggage. “I’ll get going!” They bowed at each other before making their way toward the train.

Hyoyeon watched as Yuri insisted to help Tiffany to carry her luggage, whilst the latter refused. But after the pulling and tugging, Tiffany gave in and let Yuri carry her pink bag. She chuckled at the scene and smiled to herself.

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

The train ride was silent; the rhythmic clashing of metals underneath served as the music along the calm journey.

“Tiffany…… I have to apologize.”

Tiffany put down the book that she was holding and looked at the girl across her. “Why?”

“Uh… Sooyoung… We got into a little argument and she asked me about you… I kinda told her about your marriage and about Seohyun.. Well I know it’s personal and I don’t have the right to speak about it but I just don’t want her to worry anymore… I know you trusted be but she’s my best friend but I mean… I didn’t intentionally say it!” Yuri didn’t notice that she was blabbering.

“Yuri! Hey!” Tiffany looked at the nervous Yuri with gentle eyes. “It’s fine… I understand.” She gave Yuri a reassuring smile.

Yuri saw the gentle eyes and she felt guiltier. “I’m really sorry, Tiffany… Please don’t think that I wasted your trust…. I just wanted to be honest with her…”

“I said it’s okay, didn’t I? She’s your best friend after all, I trust her too.”

“Thank you…… It won’t happen again, I assure you.” Yuri heaved a deep sigh and felt relieved.

Tiffany nodded. “What did she ask or tell you about me, anyway?”

Yuri was taken aback by the question. She wasn’t prepared for this. She wanted the heavens to take her right at that moment. “She… uhhhh…. Was just worried….. about the situation, I guess….” She mumbled.

“Worried? Why?” Tiffany furrowed her brows.

“She was being considerate of your feelings and uhhhh… she was afraid you’ll get hurt or anything…”

“Hurt?” Tiffany pondered for a bit. “But you wouldn’t hurt me, right?”

Yuri’s breathing became heavier every second. “O-Of course not! Why would I?” her voice became louder.

“I know. You wouldn’t hurt your friend, right?” Tiffany smiled.

Right… Just a friend…. Yuri thought and couldn’t help but feel disappointed. She thought about Sooyoung’s words and everything started sinking in her head. Sooyoung-ah, I am afraid that you’re right… What should I do now?!

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

The sun had just set when Tiffany, Seohyun, and Yuri arrived back at Chungsando. The orange sky lit up the whole island, like it was a warm welcome to the three.

Yuri was still confused from her best friend’s words. She shouldn’t have listened to that shikshin’s speculations about her feelings.. She didn’t agree with her best friend’s speculations, or maybe, she refused to agree with her own feelings.

“Yuri-ah, are you okay?” Tiffany said as she opened their house’s door.

Yuri snapped up from her daze. She didn’t notice that she had been staring the door for minutes. “Uh-yeah!” She scratched her head.

“Sure? Come on in! I’ll just put these bags in our room.” Tiffany left the door open as she gathered their bags and brought them upstairs.

Aish Kwon Yuri! What’s happening to you?! She mentally cursed as she made her way towards the back porch.

She slumped down on the swing, staring blankly at the sea below. The cold breeze blew against her, as the moon started to take over the sky.

“Yuri-unnie!”

Yuri glanced behind her and saw Yoona approaching her.

“Hey, Yoong!” Yuri smiled at the girl who took a seat beside her.

“Why do you look so…. wrong? I heard you accompanied with Tiffany-unnie in Seoul! Did something happen?”

Yuri averted her gaze from the girl who was giving her a curious look. “Nothing. I was just tired.”

Yoona sighed, she knew the tiredness meant something more. “Okay. Whatever. Come on! I’ll show you something!”

“What? Where?” Yuri asked as the little girl pulled her outside the house, towards the foot of the hill.

The calm waves of the sea blended with the chilly evening air, sending a soothing feeling.

Yoona slumped upon the edge of the sea and motioned Yuri to do the same. Yuri gave her a confused look before sitting on the sand beside Yoona.

“Why are we here?” Yuri asked.

“Just look at the sea! Listen to the sound of the waves!” Yoona looked up and closed her eyes. “It’s so calming, right? It should help you relax since you’re tired.” Yoona heaved deeply.

“Thanks, but I think I should go back to the house now. Tiffany might need my help.”

Yuri was just about to stand up when Yoona asked her, “You like Tiffany-unnie, don’t you?”

“Wha-What?!” Yuri slumped back down on the sand.

“You like her.” Yoona opened her eyes and looked at Yuri. This time it wasn’t a question, it was a statement.

Yuri’s eyes widened in panic. “O-Of course! She’s a good friend!” Her voice trembled.

“You like her more than a friend.” Yoona raised her eyebrow.

“What do you mean?!” Yuri felt caught. She didn’t like this.

Yoona just smiled. “I saw you making origamis last time. You have made various kinds of figures, but I didn’t see you make a boat… Can you please make one?”

Yuri furrowed her brows. “What? Why?” She didn’t understand the sudden jump of their topic.

Yoona took out a folded piece of paper from her pocket. She unfolded it and handed it to Yuri. “Just make me one.”

“I don’t make paper boats.” Yuri said in a firm tone, handing the paper back to Yoona.

“Why?” Yoona didn’t take the paper back.

“Paper boats sink.”

“No. Just make one now. I’ll show you something.”

Something snapped inside Yuri’s head. It was a memory. A memory she didn’t want to remember.

 

 

‘Unnie! Make a paper boat for me, please?’

‘No. It will just sink. I’ll just make you other beautiful figures.’

‘But I like paper boats!’

‘I don’t like them!’

‘I like them!’

‘Why?!’

‘I’ll tell you one day.’

‘No.’

‘If you want to know why, then make me one.’

‘Promise to tell me?’

‘Promise. One day.’

 

 

But until now, that day had never come.

Yuri nudged the pain that was starting to grow inside her heart again. She was really confused yet she was curious. Even though it was from other’s perspective, she wanted to know why she loved paper boats.

She started folding the paper.

 “Yay!” Yoona grabbed the paper boat and crawled toward the waters. “Yuri-unnie! Come closer!”

Yuri shook her head and obliged to Yoona’s request once again.

Yoona placed the paper boat carefully on the water. “See the boat, unnie?”

“Yes.” Yuri focused her gaze on the paper boat which seems to be balancing itself. After a few moments, the boat was flowing slowly in sync with the calm waves of the sea. It didn’t sink.

“The paper boat will not sink if you’ll just let it go with the flow. But if you forced it to go against the rhythm of the waters, it will surely sink, for you ruined their harmony.”

Yuri just stared at the boat, letting Yoona’s words penetrate her confused being.

“Why are you saying this to me?”

“You are that boat, Yuri-unnie. Just go with the flow. Don’t fight anything. Let it penetrate through your soul.”

Yuri was taken aback. She was shocked to hear these words from an eight-year-old girl.

“Where did you learn these words?” Yuri stared at Yoona.

“From Taeyeon-unnie. She was a writer. I read it from one of her journals. Maybe it was written for you.”

Yuri was speechless. She didn’t know how to react. She just stared at Yoona with agape.

Yoona grabbed the paper boat from the water and unfolded it. “Taeyeon-unnie wrote this one.” She handed the paper to Yuri. “I’ll go back now!” Yoona ran back up and left the ever confused Yuri.

Yuri looked at the paper and read the words at the bottom of it. Her hands were trembling from the tight clutch on the paper

“Don’t let the boat sink. Let the waters sink into the boat. Don’t let your soul drown into the endless surging of emotions in your heart. Let those mystifying waves of emotions penetrate through your veins. Let them unfold themselves as they pierce your whole being.”

She didn’t know what it means. Perhaps she does, but she couldn’t find the appropriate words to explain it.

She knows that it was written for her.

Now, she can say that day has finally come, her question is finally answered.

And she feels the need to do something about it.

 

 

 

 

AN:
Hello guys! I haven't updated for a month o.O I'm really sorry!
December and January were really busy months for me! >.<
And I finally got to see soshi perform live T___T they're all goddesses!
Ok back to the story... So yeah Yuri's feelings for Tiffany is developing kekeke ♥

Yuri-yah! What will you do about it? Let's see.......
Thank you guys for your patience! Please continue to support me! 

And don't forget to comment! Fighting :D