Blossoming of a New Friendship

Finding Her Heart

 

 

 

 

 

“Good company upon the road is the shortest cut.”

- Unknown

 

 

 

“You sure you and Yoona will be okay here by yourselves?”

“No worries, Tiff. We can manage.”

“Why don’t you just join us back in Seoul? Perhaps, it’s just a week long trip.”

“We can’t Tiff.”

“Can you please tell me why you don’t want to go back to Seoul? At least before we go?”

“Sigh… Here we go again…” Jessica rolled her eyes. “I promised to tell you everything when you come back, didn’t I?”

“If you say so.” Tiffany shrugged then dragged her luggage toward the door. “Seohyun-ah let’s go! The cab is already outside! And we can’t miss the train.”

“Just a minute, Umma!” The girl’s voice echoed from the bedroom.

“Why don’t you just use your car?”

“I don’t want to tire myself from driving. The train would be much more convenient and faster. Plus you could use the car if you ever need to run an errand.”

“Thanks. Take care, Tiff.” Jessica patted Tiffany’s back before helping her to move the luggage toward the cab that was waiting for them outside.

“Hyunnie~ Inform me about your condition, okay?” Yoona emerged from the door holding one of Seohyun’s bags, whilst the latter was hastily dragging a bigger one out.

“I will Yoongie! See you next week!” Seohyun assured Yoona as she successfully made it through the door with her luggage.

“Why did you pack so much? You’re just staying in Seoul for a week.” Jessica scoffed as she watched the middle-aged driver put the bunch of bags inside the cab’s compartment.

“Like mother, like daughter.” Yoona mocked and earned a nudge from Seohyun.

“Says the mother-and-daughter tandem whose hobby is to mock our lives.” Tiffany returned the tease.

“Yah!” Jessica and Yoona simultaneously protested.

The driver had already closed the compartment and returned back inside the cab. “We’ll better get going.”

“Seohyun, do well on your check-up, okay? Hwaiting!” Jessica and Yoona pumped their fists in sync.

Tiffany stifled a laugh and opened the car’s door. “I will Sica Unnie. Bye Unnie, bye Yoongie!” Seohyun bowed before making her way inside the cab.

“Yah! Take care of our house! Don’t throw parties or whatever!”

“Actually, I was just thinking of doing that.”

Jessica earned a threatening glare from Tiffany.

“I guess not……”

“Good!” Tiffany’s serious expression softened and let out a smile. “I’ll get going then! Bye Jess, bye Yoongie! Take care of your mother!”

Yoona laughed out loud and Jessica let her tongue out as Tiffany entered the car.

They waved at each other through the glass windows.

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

The train station was pretty crowded, since it was Saturday and people are going back to the city as the spring break had just ended.

Seohyun was already getting irritated because of the heat and the different noises around.

“Hyunnie, why don’t you just wait there whilst I buy our tickets?” Tiffany pointed at a corner with less people and with more space to move.

Seohyun eyed the corner and nodded.

“Wait for me! Just stay there!” Tiffany yelled as she took some steps forward when the long queue of passengers in front of her moved, still keeping an eye on Seohyun.

Seohyun slumped on the corner and leaned her back toward the wall. She was exhausted and overwhelmed by the crowd. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths with , calming her palpitating heart; she didn’t want to have a sudden attack there.

She finally regained composure thanks to the spacious corner that allowed more air to penetrate her lungs. She looked around, observing the different kinds of people, some were hurrying and running around the station, whilst other people were calm and taking their time queuing up.

She searched her mother from one of the queues, sighing as she saw that her umma hasn’t even made it toward the half of the long line.

Knowing that she has more time left before her mother comes to pick her up, she decided to take a stroll around. There were different shops inside the train station, though smaller than those outside. Seohyun looked back frequently, making sure that she wasn’t too far from the corner.

A cotton candy stall caught her eyes, she first checked her pockets for money, and dashed toward the machine when she counted that she has enough to afford one.

“The pink one, please.” Seohyun ordered toward the middle-aged man, and handed her payment.

“Here you go, kid.” The man handed the fluffy pink candy toward the child whose eyes were glistening at the sight of the sweet treat.

Seohyun grabbed the cotton candy and bowed at the seller before turning on her heels, going back to the corner.

As she was happily munching the fluffy candy whilst jumpily walking her way back to the corner, her eyes caught sight of the familiar figure. She first looked back to her mom who was only halfway through the line, and decided to approach the familiar person.

But when she looked back toward the young woman, she was already walking toward the other direction.

“Unnie!” Seohyun shouted and ran after her, but then a huge bunch of people who had just gotten out of the train started to crowd her way. Her right hand was clutching the cotton candy whilst the other was pushing the surge of passengers in front of her.

“Yuri Unnie!” Seohyun shouted again as she made it pass through the huge mass of people.

Yuri heard her name echoed through the platform, and turned around to see a little girl panting.

“Seohyun-ah! Are you okay?” Yuri immediately kneeled and soothed the back of the panting girl.

“Glad you heard me, unnie!” Seohyun threw her arms around the tall girl. “I missed you, unnie! I’m really happy to see you here!”

“Me too! Are you with your Fany Umma?” Yuri held the girl’s waist and searched around for Seohyun’s guardian.

“Uh-oh..” Seohyun scanned her surroundings and realized that she was too far from where her mom left her. “Yes, but I think I’ve lost her.”

“Is that so…” Yuri contemplated for a bit and lifted the tired girl up in her arms. “Let’s go find her!”

The two had been wandering around for almost half an hour. Due to the huge crowd, finding a lone person wasn’t as easy as they expected. In addition to that, Seohyun got confused with different ticket booths which looked similar to where her mom was.

Seohyun rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder, and played with the remaining amount of fluffy candy that she was clutching. She was bored and tired.

Yuri kept looking toward the ticket booths, looking for the woman who was ‘wearing too much pink’ like Seohyun described earlier. She smiled as she thought of the child’s description. How can a twenty-six year old woman still be obsessed with the color pink?

After a few more minutes, Yuri finally saw a woman wearing a pink dress with pink luggage surrounding her. Her long black hair was tied up in a bun, showing her flawless milky skin.

Gorgeous.. Yuri muttered under her breath. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and noticed that Tiffany was talking to a middle-aged man who was wearing a uniform belonging to the station officers. The man was trying to calm the raging Tiffany and her voice got more audible as they walked closer to their location.

“Seohyun-ah, there’s your umma! She must have been really worried!” Yuri quickened her pace and swerved off the random persons that came upon their way. “Seohyun-ah?” Yuri gently shook the little girl in her arms, and when she earned no response, she tilted her head backwards to see a sleeping girl.

“Must be really tired eh?” Yuri chuckled and took quick but careful steps, not wanting to wake the sleeping girl in her arms.

“I swear I just left her here!” Tiffany’s voice was on maximum level now. She ruffled her hair in distress. A few passengers passing by had turned their heads toward their direction because of Tiffany’s loud voice.

“Please calm down, Ma’am. I’ve already signalled the senior officer to help us. He’ll be here in no time.” The middle-aged man stated in a gentle voice, trying to calm the raging girl down.

“Tiffany!” Yuri called as she took the last few steps toward the corner.

Tiffany turned and was shocked when she saw Yuri, but it was replaced by relief when she saw her daughter in Yuri’s arms. “Yuri! Seohyun-ah!” Tiffany exclaimed and sprinted toward the two.

“She fell asleep, must be really tired.” Yuri said as she passed the sleeping girl in Tiffany’s arms. “I found her running after me. It was a relief that I noticed her or else…”

“Thank you, Yuri!” Tiffany smiled and Seohyun’s back.

“Well, sorry for interrupting, but I can see that this problem is solved now?” The middle-aged man said and smiled.

“Yes Mister! Thank you very much for your help!” Tiffany faced the man and bowed at him.

“Not that really much of a help. I’ll better get going! Take care of your daughter Ma’am!” The middle-aged man bowed before walking away.

Tiffany noticed the cotton candy on Seohyun’s hand. She was clutching it tightly, despite her sleeping state. “You really can’t let go of your sweet treats huh?” She removed the candy from Seohyun’s grip. “Tch… So much like Taeyeon!” she unconsciously mumbled, and felt a stab in her chest.

Yuri noticed the sudden sorrow in Tiffany’s eyes at the mention of her late wife. Tiffany’s pain seemed to creep up into Yuri’s senses. She shrugged any emotions off and grabbed the luggage scattered on the ground.

“You can’t carry these with Seohyun in your arms, let me help.” Yuri interjected before Tiffany could refuse her help. “We’re heading in the same train, anyway. My belongings are already there.” Yuri assured after she quickly peeked through the tickets that Tiffany was holding.

Tiffany merely nodded, knowing that she couldn’t object anymore. She trailed behind Yuri who was carrying their luggage effortlessly. “It’s kind of a sight to see you carrying those pink bags though.” Tiffany teased and smirked when Yuri turned to look at her with a pouting expression.

“Really, Tiffany? After all those we’ve been through?! I even thought you were my friend. I feel rejected.” Yuri faked a sob and walked faster.

“Yah!” Tiffany couldn’t help but laugh at Yuri’s playfulness. It was her first time seeing this side of her.

Aish what did I say?! What if she actually wants to draw the line on professionalism toward each other? Or what if she wanted more than professionalism? Does it mean that were closer now? Yah! What are you thinking?! Yuri bowed her head as she felt the warmth creeping up to her cheeks.

Friends? So we’re really friends now? Tiffany bit her lips to suppress a grin that was threatening to show at any minute. She just took a deep breath and felt her whole face reddening like a tomato.

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

The train was travelling smoothly, passing through the breathtaking view of South Korea’s countryside. The morning sunlight was peeking through the glass windows, coloring the train’s interior into a shade of sepia.

Yuri placed two cups of warm coffee on the table, one on Tiffany’s side and the other on her side. She took a seat across Tiffany who was playing with the hair of the sleeping Seohyun laying beside her.

“Thanks.” Tiffany muttered to Yuri and held the cup in between her hands.

“May I ask what will you do in Seoul?” Yuri asked Tiffany with wariness, for she didn’t want to pry.

“Just for Seohyun’s twice a year check-up.” Tiffany answered before sipping her coffee.

Yuri just nodded, and fixed her gaze on the warm liquid, afraid to ask further.

“Heart check-up, specifically.” Tiffany added, noticing the curiosity in Yuri’s expression.

Yuri looked up, surprised by Tiffany’s bluntness. The latter just smiled when she met Yuri’s rounded eyes.

“She had a heart disease, but she has been treated. She had a heart transplant two years ago.” Tiffany added.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t intend to pry.” Yuri muttered and looked down again.

“It’s okay. We’re friends, right?”

Yuri looked up to face Tiffany again, who was grinning at her reaction. “Y-Yeah… Friends…” Yuri stuttered whilst scratching the back of her head.

“So, how about you? Why are you going to Seoul?” Tiffany immediately asked, hoping to comfort the awkward Yuri.

“I just need to finalize the transfer of my unfinished cases, which I left in Seoul, to my colleague.”

Tiffany nodded, taking a sip at her coffee. “We’ll be staying there for a week. How about you?”

“Well, it will only just take two to three days to arrange the necessary papers.”

“Ohhh….” Tiffany mumbled and focused her gaze on her coffee, feeling a little disappointed.

“But since my boss gave me the whole week, I guess I’ll just spend the remaining days in Seoul then.”

Tiffany suddenly looked up, she bit her lower lip to suppress a smile that was creeping in. “That’s good!” She just managed to say and sipped her coffee to hide her smile.

“We could hang out.” Tiffany almost choked on her coffee when she heard Yuri’s next statement. Yuri scrambled on her belongings to find a decent tissue and handed it to Tiffany. “Are you okay?”

Tiffany nodded, immediately wiping the coffee around the moment she grabbed the tissue on Yuri’s hand. She mentally smacked herself in embarrassment. She made sure that she had removed any droplets of coffee before asking, “Were you talking about hanging out?”

Yuri nodded. Her heart was pounding loudly from nervousness. “If you are free, and if that will be okay with you, of course.” Yuri assured, not wanting to surprise Tiffany.

“Sure. I’d love too.” Tiffany unconsciously answered. You’re too obvious, rephrase your answer! She thought and mentally smacked herself again and racked her brain for an excuse. “I-I mean, why not? I’d love to travel around Seoul again.” She clarified, not wanting to sound very excited.

“So you’d go out with me?” Yuri excitedly asked, not realizing the ambiguity in her question.

Tiffany’s eyes widened because of Yuri’s question. She quickly averted her gaze from Yuri and fidgeted her fingers. “Err….”

Yuri noticed Tiffany’s awkwardness, and found the reason on her previous question. “I-I mean go out, travel around Seoul, like you said?”

“Sure!” Tiffany answered and looked up to Yuri, grinning like an excited kid.

The child beside Tiffany started squirming and clutched her stomach. “Umma…. Hyunnie is hungry.” Seohyun muttered, with her eyes still closed.

“Open your eyes first Seohyun-ah, and get up so we can go buy food.” Tiffany tapped Seohyun’s thigh lightly. “There’s a little food stall located at the end of this train right?” She asked Yuri.

Yuri nodded in agreement.

“Do they sell sweet potatoes?”

“I guess I’ve seen one.”

Tiffany tugged Seohyun once again. “Heard that Seohyun-ah? There’s only one sweet potato left! Get up now.”

“Goguma?” Seohyun asked, opening an eye.

“You heard me.” Tiffany timidly answered and got off her seat.

“Yay!” Seohyun bolted up from her slumber. “Hyunnie wants goguma!” she scrambled off her seat and ran toward the aisle.

“Yah! Be careful!” Tiffany yelled, a few passengers turned their heads at her loud voice, she just bowed in apology.

“Such a hyper kid.” Yuri commented and finished her coffee.

“Want some food or anything?” Tiffany asked Yuri.

Yuri shook her head. “It’s okay. Now go run after Seohyun before she gets lost again.” She said and pouted her lips toward the direction where the kid ran off.

“Oh right!” Tiffany snapped her fingers and to her heels. “We’ll be right back!” She waved at Yuri before half-running toward the end of the train.

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

Tiffany leaned her head against the glass window of the cab. She took a deep breath as she saw the skyscrapers and the bustling city, backed with the orange sky. She clenched her fists, fighting the surge of memories that was creeping through her veins.

Yuri was sitting beside the driver, but still managed to steal glances at Tiffany by the use of the rear-view mirror. She was worried of Tiffany’s quietness and uneasiness.

“Umma, will we stay at our old apartment?” Seohyun asked, while munching on her cotton candy. She demanded to buy another one as she remembered that she hadn’t finished eating the first one when she fell asleep.

Tiffany turned her head to look at Seohyun. “No, Seohyun. I reserved a hotel.” She coldly answered and leaned her head on the glass windows again.

“But Hyunnie misses our home! Hyunnie wants to go back home!” Seohyun’s voice quivered as her tears threatened to fall out of her eyes at any minute.

Tiffany clenched her fists tighter, her knuckles turning white. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, stopping her tears from falling out. She missed their home too, but can they still call it a home without Taeyeon? No, it was just merely an apartment. She wanted those precious memories to stay inside that structure. She wanted to preserve those beautiful moments of their lives in there.

Yuri felt the tension inside the cab. She knew Tiffany would explode at any minute. She felt obliged to do something. She tilted her body to face the two girls behind her. “Seohyun-ah, I’ll be staying at the same hotel. We’ll be neighbours! I’ll buy you lots of cotton candies and gogumas!”

Seohyun quickly wiped her eyes and looked up to Yuri. “Sniff……. Really?” her voice still trembled.

Yuri nodded and grinned widely. “You like that, don’t you? So stop sulking now!” she assured and poked Seohyun’s pouting lips.

Seohyun smiled and clapped her hands. “Yuri Unnie jjang!” she exclaimed before going back on munching her remaining cotton candy.

Yuri then looked at Tiffany, who was also looking at her with a baffled expression. Yuri just winked at Tiffany and re her previous sitting position, her back rested on the seat’s soft cushion.

She looked at the long road ahead of them. Long week ahead... she thought and smirked.

The blossoming flowers made the city livelier, like the two persons who were feeling the same, because of their new found friendship. 

 

 

 

AN:
Yay YulTi are now officially 'friends' lolol
If you think that this story is pretty slow, well then I just want to take baby steps in YulTi's progressing relationship.
They're 'friends' now, but you all know that it's not the typical type of 'friendship', right? :)
I want to show their emotions first, since Tiffany is still devastated from Taeyeon's absence..
Most of the time, the POV is focused on Tiffany's thoughts and whereabouts, but don't worry, I'll reveal Yuri's POV soon :D
Please don't get bored! I'm really worried since I don't update often ;__; I was busy stalking Lee Min Ho last weekend sooo I was only able to update now kekeke~
There will be a sort of revelation in the next chapter /wink
Thank you guys! Please don't forget to comment :D