Keep Holding On

Finding Her Heart

 

“Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly.”

- Anonymous

 

 

 

The two girls ran in circles, both arms extended in the air, their brown locks flew against the soft spring breeze.

Meanwhile, the two best friends plopped on the mat placed on the grass, as they watched the two kids have fun.

“Yah! Jessi, look at them! Seohyun and Yoona look like the younger version of us!”

“…..”

Receiving no response from her friend, Tiffany looked beside her, and saw Jessica sound asleep.

“Yah!!! Are you going to sleep all day?! We’re going to take a picnic, remember?” She tugged on the sleeping girl persistently.

“Ugh…..” Jessica half-opened her eyes. “I just got out of detention…. Haven’t…. had… proper… sleep.. for.. a.. week…”  she mumbled before dozing back to her slumber.

“Aish! I should’ve thought that you meant sleeping and lazing around all day when you invited me for a celebration.” Tiffany almost gave up when she saw something in their picnic basket which gave her hope.

“Sooyeon-ah….” Tiffany smirked and grabbed the green vegetable. “Wake up or I will put this cucumber on your face!” She snapped the cucumber in half, allowing its scent to penetrate their noses.

“YAH!!!!!!” Jessica let out her dolphin scream as she bolted out of her slumber. “Okay! I will get up now. Just take that crap away from me! N.O.W.” she looked at Tiffany with one of her dirtiest glares.

“Okay okay!” Tiffany threw the cucumber away before clapping her hands whilst laughing.

“Aish!!!” Jessica fanned her hands in the air, hoping to swat away the cucumber scent. “Oh hey, Tiffany!”

“Yes?” Tiffany answered as she started taking out the foods out of the basket.

“Remember Officer Kwon?”

Tiffany halted and turned to Jessica. “Yuri Kwon-ssi? Why?”

“Are you two.. uhhh.. close? Yoona told me that Yuri would often look out for her and Seohyun whenever you needed to stay with me whilst I was in detention.”

“I.. uhhh.. She just wanted to help!” Tiffany quickly redirected her attention toward the basket and continued to take out the foods. She suddenly remembered that she hasn’t had a chance to thank Yuri properly.

Jessica raised a brow as she noticed the sudden shift of Tiffany’s mood. “Do you like her?”

Tiffany was in the middle of taking out a food container and immediately lost grip of it, causing the container to stumble on the ground. She was taken aback by Jessica’s straightforward question, her hands were trembling and she felt her cheeks blushing.

“I mean as a friend?!” Jessica quickly added and smirked from her best friend’s reaction.

Tiffany sighed in relief. “Uhm… Not bad.” She tried to sound neutral and shrugged.

“That Yuri Kwon is pretty hot.” Jessica smirked and her lips in an ‘I-wanna-hit-this-girl’ manner.

Tiffany looked at Jessica in shock and slapped her thigh cruelly, leaving a red mark.

“Yah! What was that for?!” Jessica rubbed the red handprint on her bare thigh.

“Since when did you become gay?”

“Since Yuri.” Jessica smirked and winked at her best friend.

“Yah!” Tiffany slapped Jessica’s thigh for the second time.

“Ouch! Just kidding y’know?! Why so serious?!” Jessica mocked in English, as she rubbed her abused thigh.

Tiffany crossed her arms and pouted. Jessica looked at her best friend and shook her head as she mentally questioned if her best friend was… Jealous..?

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

“Yoong! Wait!”

Yoona halted from running and looked at Seohyun panting behind her. “Are you okay?”

Seohyun nodded. “I think I saw Yuri Unnie earlier.”

“Where?” They both looked around to search for a familiar figure.

“There she is!” Seohyun exclaimed as she spotted Yuri walking on the other side of the park.

The two girls nodded at each other before going on for a run toward Yuri’s direction.

“Yuri Unnie!” They shouted in chorus.

Yuri turned to her side and found Seohyun and Yoona rushing to her direction.

“Hey!” Yuri smiled and kneeled down to welcome the two girls hug.

“We missed you!” Seohyun said as soon as she received Yuri’s hug.

“Tiffany Unnie won’t stop nagging us.” Yoona returned Yuri’s hug as well “Unlike you, Yuri Unnie. You’re cool!” she bumped her fist into Yuri’s arm.

“Yah! You only said that because you two enjoyed playing pranks on me and Umma!” Seohyun pouted.

Yuri and Yoona laughed as they recalled a memory.

One time, they placed a fake bug on Seohyun’s keroro plush whilst she was sleeping. She woke up crying, screaming and tossing everything. Because of Seohyun’s sudden rage, they didn’t notice that the fake bug got lost and it ended up into the couch. The day after, Tiffany sat on the couch unknowingly and as she searched for the TV’s remote, she grabbed the fake bug instead. She reacted much worse than Seohyun and ended up lecturing Yoona and Yuri for almost three hours.

“Yuri Unnie! That was epic right?” Yoona said in between her laughs.

Yuri just chuckled and shook her head. “Hey, what are you two doing here? Where are your mothers?”

“We are having a picnic to celebrate Jessica Unnie’s release from detention.” Seohyun stated. “Join us, Yuri Unnie.”

“But- Wait-!” Before Yuri could retaliate, the two kids were already dragging her. Knowing that she couldn’t win with these stubborn girls, she surrendered and let them pull her.

Tiffany and Jessica warmly welcomed her, they gave her food and they shared a lot of stories. The five of them talked, laughed for hours until Jessica decided to fall asleep whilst the two kids went for another round for playing.

“Wanna take a walk?”

Tiffany wanted to freeze in her seat. She tried her best to sound normal. “Su-sure.” But she failed.

The columns of cherry blossom trees blocked the sunlight to penetrate into the straight and lengthy path, only allowing a few rays to pass through small gaps of flowers.

They walked side by side along the cherry blossom path, only a person or two were also walking along their way.

“I didn’t know that you’re here too.” Tiffany broke the silence, feeling calmed thanks to the scenery before her.

“Yeah.. Me too.. I just passed by this park and decided to take a stroll and admire the nature since I have no work to do.”

“Coincidence.” Tiffany unconsciously mumbled.

“Yeah.. Coincidence.” Yuri nodded, agreeing to Tiffany that this was merely a coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

The silence surrounded them again. Tiffany then saw two friends; one was teaching the other on how to ride a bicycle. She smiled as she remembered a familiar memory similar to the scene in front of her.

 

 

 

‘Yah Taetae! Don’t let go!’

‘Yes Fany-ah! Come on, keep on pedalling!’

‘Hold the bicycle!’

‘I already am! Keep moving’

‘Hmmm!’

‘Fany, you’re steering the handlebars too much!’

‘It’s not my fault that it won’t get steady’

‘It is, Fany-ah.. Balance yourself.’

‘I can’t!’

‘It’s because you’re fat!’

‘I’m not!’

‘Yes, you are.’

‘Short dork.’

‘Fat mushroom!’

‘Yah!’

Come on Fany, keep on pedalling.. Taeyeon thought as Tiffany finally got control of the bicycle. She continued distracting her as she slowly let go of the bike. Tiffany probably didn’t seem to notice and finally rode the bike by herself.

‘Taetae, I’m getting comfortable.’

‘…..’

‘Taetae!’

‘…..’

‘Taeyeon!’

‘….’

Noticing that no one is answering her, she looked behind her and found no one. She panicked and lost control, causing her and the bicycle to fall on the ground.

Taeyeon heard Tiffany’s loud scream and ran onto the girl’s side. She got worried when she saw Tiffany’s knee and elbow bleeding. She helped the girl up and sat her down on a bench. Taeyeon kneeled and blew Tiffany’s wounded knee and elbow.

‘Are you okay?’

‘Yah! It’s your fault! I told you not to let go!’

‘Sorry… but it’s the only way for you to learn.’

‘Look! I’m wounded!’

‘Sometimes, you have to be hurt for you to experience true happiness!’

‘Then hug me!’

‘What? Why?’

‘It’s time for me to experience my true happiness!’

‘Cheesy Fany is cheesy!’

Taeyeon pinched Tiffany’s nose before leaning in for a hug.

‘Don’t let go of me again, okay?’

‘What if I have to?’

‘I don’t need to learn how to ride a bike or anything else. I only need you. So, you don’t have to leave.’

‘I thought you wanted to experience riding a bicycle.’

‘I’d rather not experience that. Just don’t let go of me, okay?’

Taeyeon pulled away from the hug and went for the bike. She positioned herself before patting the space in front of her.

‘Come here!’

Tiffany sat sideways between the bike’s handlebars and Taeyeon.

‘I’m letting you experience how to ride a bike without me letting go of you.’

Taeyeon winked at her and positioned her hands on the handlebars, her arms surrounding Tiffany.

‘Now, hold me. Don’t let go of me either.’

Tiffany obliged and hugged Taeyeon’s slim waist and leaned her head onto her chest. Taeyeon started pedalling and Tiffany felt like flying. She closed her eyes, allowing the gentle wind to blow against them as she listened attentively to Taeyeon’s heartbeat.

Taeyeon felt Tiffany’s arms tightened around her. She smiled and thought… ‘I won’t ever let go of us…’

 

 

 

Yuri noticed that Tiffany was lost in a trance, for she was watching the scene for quite some time.

“Hey, wanna ride a bike?”

Tiffany snapped back to reality and looked at Yuri questioningly.

“I asked if you wanna ride a bike?” Yuri repeated and smiled at Tiffany.

“But.. I-I don’t know how to.” Tiffany shyly admitted and focused her gaze on the floor.

“Oh! I’ve got an idea. Hold on.” Yuri said before walking away.

Tiffany’s eyes followed Yuri who approached the two teenagers whom she was watching earlier. Her eyes furrowed when one of them lend Yuri the bicycle. She then saw Yuri took some money from her pocket and gave it to the two friends.

“Bribing huh?” Tiffany teasingly accused as Yuri approached her whilst pulling the bike.

“I prefer to call it renting.” Yuri let out a chuckle and straddled the bike. “Sit.” Yuri patted the small seat behind her.

Tiffany pondered for a bit before obliging. She sat sideways behind Yuri and held onto the saddle.

Yuri then grabbed Tiffany’s both arms and wrapped them around her waist. Tiffany was startled and felt her whole body become stiff. Her heart wanted to jump out of her chest.

“Relax. You’ll fall if you would only hold onto that. Hold onto me, instead.”

Tiffany felt assured, and wrapped her arms fully around Yuri’s slim waist.

The petals of cherry blossoms slowly fell as the gentle wind blew, colouring the pathway they were passing by.

Tiffany closed her eyes and leaned on Yuri’s back. She savoured the bliss that she was feeling, for she experienced how to fly once again.

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

“Glad you finally came for dinner, Yuri Unnie!” Seohyun said as she saw Yuri approaching her on the porch and widely grinned.

“Can’t say no to your umma! Plus, this is better than eating alone in my own place.” Yuri plopped down on the swing beside Seohyun.

“So would you come to eat with us often?” Seohyun asked before going back on coloring something on her notebook.

“If chances would allow, why not?” Yuri smiled and looked at Seohyun’s notebook. “What did you draw?”

Seohyun turned the notebook to face Yuri. Seohyun sketched five stick figures and labelled them as ‘Tiffany Umma’, ‘Yuri Unnie’, ‘Jessica Unnie’, ‘Yoongie’, and ‘Hyunnie’. It was their scene in the park earlier. And above them, on the clouds was an angel, named ‘Taeyeon Appa’.

“Your Taeyeon appa must be happy watching over you.” Yuri smiled and looked at the stars.

“She must be. You’re an angel like her Unnie.”

Yuri remembered the first time that Seohyun called her an angel. “Why do you keep regarding me as an angel?”

“’Cause Taeyeon appa said that an angel fulfills wishes and watches over people. You have saved me from Park ahjumma and you have looked after us for quite many times now. And I know that you would be able to fulfill my ultimate wish.”

“Wish? What wish?”

“To see Tiffany Umma smile again.”

Yuri furrowed her brows in bewilderment. “But she does laugh and smile… Like earlier….”

“But not with her eyes.”

Yuri got even more confused. “What do you mean ‘with her eyes’?”

“You’ll know it when you see it.”

“But how can I see it?”

“You have to make her happy.”

“How?”

Seohyun shrugged. “You have to figure it out, I guess.”

Yuri sighed… She felt like this was the hardest mission she had ever received…. from an eight-year-old child.

 

“Yuri?”

Yuri looked behind her and saw Tiffany at the entrance of the porch. She stood up and approached her.

“Yes Tiffany?”

“I guess it is okay to drop the formalities now, right?” Tiffany asked, fidgeting her fingers in nervousness.

“More than okay.” Yuri assured Tiffany, as she felt her hesitation.

Tiffany sighed in relief. “I just want to thank you since day one. For returning my necklace, for buying me flowers. I’m sorry if I was a bit rude and just walked away when we first met…. I didn’t mean that… and thank you for looking after Seohyun and Yoona… and thank you for today…”

She didn’t know how many ‘thank you’s’ she had managed to mutter, but she could say it a lot more times as possible.

Tiffany looked deeply into Yuri’s eyes as she said those words, doing her best to express her sincerity. And indeed, Yuri felt it.

“It’s my pleasure Tiffany.. Glad to help…” Yuri said and smiled. “Guess I’ll get going then. It’s getting late.”

“Oh let me walk you outside.” Tiffany suggested, and before Yuri could object, she had already grabbed her by the wrist and led her to the door.

“Thank you too, Tiffany.” Yuri said as they reached outside.

Tiffany slowly let go of Yuri’s hand. “Get home safely.”

Yuri nodded and started to walk backwards. “Remember, Officer Kwon always at your service.” Yuri saluted at Tiffany and grinned before turning around and walking away.

Tiffany giggled at Yuri’s antic. A smile was plastered on her face as she remembered the events earlier. Her smile almost reached her eyes. Almost.

 

 

 

“Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,

they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”

- Marcel Proust

 

 

 

AN:
Cheesy TaeNy and YulTi moments! kekeke~
What can you say about Tiffany's feelings for Yuri? Would you agree with Jessica's hunch?
And regarding Yoona's father, I originally planned on not naming him, or if I do, maybe I would just make up an imaginary character.. :)
Thank you guyssssssss! >:D< 


P.S. Have you seen Tiffany's pre-debut blog? t0t4L g4ngZtaH lolol LDYxINN0CENZ
And my SunYeon oneshot got plagiarized T___T luckily, I have reported it immediately and the copied text was already deleted whew..
I just feel like sharing and being talkative kekeke love lots xoxo