Chapter 3

The One Who Made Sparks Fly

 

 

*Triple update! I'm sorry that it took so long. I worked on this chapter pretty long didn't I? I'm sorry! Here are your cookies! ^_^*

 

 

“Um…um….” Jonghyun said with a hesitant voice. “Well?” I started to get impatient. My grandma is going to be home soon and I’m not going to waste time by hearing Jonghyun say ums and uhs. I crossed my arms and raised a brow to imply that I’m getting hasty.

 

“Well, same as yours! I’m tired of girls asking for my number and asking me out.” The look on his face told me that he was relief to find an answer. Though, I think that he’s not telling me that truth. It’s not the kind of answer that I wished but if he wants to play that kind of game, then I’m in. I glanced at my watch and said, “I think I have to go. My grandma is probably home.” I said bye and went the other way.

 

Then I felt a hard, painful grip on my wrists. I turned around and turns out that it’s Jonghyun. “Just stay with me a little longer.” I was shocked at what he said to me. It kind of felt like a guy saying to a girl “don’t leave me alone”.

 

 It was getting pretty chilly outdoors, my nose is red and my lips were chapped. I wasn’t cold let me tell you. I was warm actually. My body was heated and it wasn’t freezing at all. And it’s all because of Jonghyun, the guy that was standing right in front of me right now. The tone of how he said “just stay with me longer” was pretty serious, the deep husky voice of Jonghyun saying those 5 words. God, it totally warmed my heart.

 

“Oh-uh-um-erg-okay?” I stuttered. And there goes my hand to my face again. I SAID UM AND UH AND ERG! I deserve another face-palm to my face. Jonghyun smiled. “Well, I’m glad. Let’s go around down shall we?” Jonghyun held out an arm for me. I looked the other way to hide my face.

 

No, he’s just a friend, a really nice friend. A friend that I met a COUPLE HOURS AGO! I mean, how on Earth can we be THAT close when we’ve only met a couple hours ago. Well, I guess it’s possible I think. Both of us strolled around town peacefully. The fact that we’re linking arms just made people stare at us strangely.

 

 God damn it! He’s just a friend! Keep comments to yourself! RUDE! I looked at Jonghyun face and apparently he does the notice the people making dirty comments. He marched towards happily with a clueless face actually.

 

 Wow, is he blind or something? I was walking foreword until Jonghyun pulled me into a store. “Aish! You could’ve that least warned me ahead!” I massaged my arms because of that abrupt move. Jonghyun giggled in an apologetic way and scratched the back of his head. “He he, sorry.” I raised a hand up to imply that I’m okay.

 

 Then Jonghyun walked ahead and scanned the store. This is basically a gift shop by the way. I couldn’t see the name of the store because of you know who. Any who, I also scanned the stores…..in the clothes section. Yes, I love clothes. Couldn’t you tell from the present that my grandma gave me? MY GRANDMA! DANG, I HAVE TO GO BACK!

 

I hustled to Jonghyun and shook his arms in a panicky way. “Jonghyun! I have to go home! My grandma is probably waiting for me at home! Jonghyun’s bright face suddenly turned into a sorrowful and melancholy face. “Sure, you can go home first. I’ll want to buy something from here. See you later.” I gave him a squeeze on the shoulder and walked out of the door.

 

 As I walked away, Jonghyun’s eyes followed me until I was out of sight. I walked back home alone. My breathe was chilly and my ears were numb. Ugh, this is definitely my least favorite weather for sure.

 

When I got home, I got the key from the doormat and walked in without hearing any clamoring noise. “Haemoni! Haemoni!” I looked around the peaceful house until I confirmed that my grandma is still out.

 

“God, what’s taking her so long? I should’ve stayed there longer with Jonghyun. Now I have nothing to do because of my worry for my grandmother.  I collapsed in bed and fell instantly asleep because of this long and tiring day.

 

 

The next day….

 

 

My eyes suddenly opened wide from the familiar smell. It was KIMCHI STEW! I leaped out of bed and dashed to the kitchen. I went to the kitchen and saw my grandma in the middle of stirring stew.

 

“Haemoni!” I yelled.

 

“There you are Kibu-, I mean Key!” I went forward and looked over her shoulder. “Haemoni, where did you go? I didn’t see you when I got back home.”

 

“Well, I went to buy ingredients for kimchi stew for you. I woke up this morning just to prepare this.” I hugged my grandma’s back. “You rock.” She chuckled. “I know.” There was silence after that. It was awkward actually. It was loving and peaceful. It was quiet until she said something out of the blue.

 

“Key, can you hang out with my best friend’s grandson?” Now that’s just weird. I don’t want to nor would I ever want to. “Why?!” She sighed and looked me right in the eye. Her eyes are begging me to do her favor……or else I won’t get my awesome sauce kimchi stew. I rolled my eyes. (IT’S A HABIT. SHEESH!)

 

 “Fine, I’ll do it.” A smile gleamed on my grandma’s bright face. “Thank you Key!” She gave me a hug. “Now, he’ll be here in 20 minutes so clean up your room.” “Fine.” I muttered. I went upstairs and stuffed all my clothes in the guest’s closet. I threw all my books in the corner and…..DONE! Simple as that. I glanced at the clock and realized that it’s almost 20 minutes.

 

*Ding Dong!

 

My grandma got the door and I heard a familiar voice. “Hi Haemoni!” They greeted each other like long time friends and then my grandma said, “Oh, my grandson is upstairs.”

 

 I heard that person go up the steps one by one. I gulped and didn’t know why I was so nervous. The guy opened the door and introduced himself. “Hi, I’m Jo- OH MY GOD!” I was just as surprised as he was. It was….it was....

 

Jonghyun.

 

“What are you doing here?!” I yelled. “Well, the grandma downstairs told me to hang out with her grandson an- Ahh, so it’s you. I REMEMBER! You said you would visit your grandma and you’re the grandson! I get it now!” My god, how can a person be this stupid.

 

“Yeah duh? It’s me.” Jonghyun crossed his arms and tapped his foot on the ground for a few seconds. “So..your grandma told us to “hang”.” Jonghyun made two quotation marks with his hands. “I don’t know. Want to get ice cream?” Jonghyun shrugged. “Sure.”

 

I got up quickly and grabbed his hands. His hands became a little sweaty the moment out hand intertwined, but I don’t really care. I pulled him to the nearest ice cream store. The push through the door and I felt a warm breeze go through my face. “So, what do you want?”

 

Jonghyun let go of my hand and scanned all the flavors. At least 5 minutes later, Jonghyun has finally picked a flavor. “I would like rainbow sherbet.” He turned his head and looked at me. “I’ll have chocolate.” The cashier smiled and went over to the ice cream fridges and scooped Jonghyun’s ice cream and mine. She handed both of us our cones. “That’ll be four wons.” Jonghyun took his wallet out.

 

As soon as I saw it, I ran over to him and gripped his wrist. “I’ll pay.” Jonghyun shook his head in refusal and said, “Tsk tsk. Nah, I’ll pay.” He took 5 won out of his wallet and gave it to the cashier. The cashier in return, gave him back 1 won. “Thanks.” I stared at him with guilty eyes. Even if someone is buying ice cream for me, I make a big deal. “Yah!” I slapped him on his arm. “What?!” And he acted as if he didn’t do anything. “I told you not to be for me!” There he goes again, shaking his head in refusal. He came over to me and twiggled his fingers under my chin. “It’s okay hon. It’s alright.” He then left the ice cream store leaving me alone all embarrassed. I glanced to the side and saw the workers staring at me. “I’M NOT GAY!” I crossed my arms and stomped out of the store.

 

“Why are you doing this?” I asked out of the blue. I was too curious to even keep that kind of question in my mind. He was a stranger that I met at the train station. He made my heart skip a beat. He made me confused. He gave me this warm feeling that I’ve never felt before. He made me mad. He made me want to tear all my hair out. We’ve met only yesterday and he made me feel safe, and feel where I was supposed to be. The right place.

 

Is this love you say? Is this how love feels like? Though I’ve never experienced love before, I guess this is it. I’ve never thought that I’d fall in love……especially with a man. Before, I didn’t even think that love exists. I thought that God stuck a magnet in us and drew you and your partner together. I felt like I didn’t have a magnet at all. I felt no love from barely anybody. “Love doesn’t exist.” I’d use to say. Now I’ve proven myself wrong. I was so wrong. Love does exist. I finally have a magnet.

 

Jonghyun turned around after he heard my question. “It’s complicated.”

 

“No, it’s not. Now answer my question!” Jonghyun took a long deep breath. “Fine………I think I’m in love…….with YOU.”  You, he said you, which meant me. So that means he’s in love with me. So that means………we’re both

 

in love…..

 

 

I cranked the doorknob of my grandma’s door and went inside without bothering to shut the door quietly. My grandma saw me with a worried look at her face. “Key, what’s wrong?” I shook my head and said, “It’s nothing Haemoni. I’m just exhausted.” My grandma nodded still having that worried look but turned around to continue what she was doing.

 

I went to my room, slammed the door, threw my bag across the room, and fell headfirst into the bed. A few seconds later, I couldn’t take it anymore because I couldn’t hold it in any longer. I need some thinking time. I criss-crossed my legs and stared at the wall. I stared at it for like a long 5 minutes. You know, 5 minutes is really long if you ask me, but it’s really short when you are watching a drama and you have a bedtime. XD

 

He loves me…. He really loves me…..

 

Just then, my phone had a text message tone. I unlocked my phone and it was Jonghyun. Typical….

 

Sweet dreams yeobo! ^_^ <3

                              -Jjongie

 

I rolled my eyes. “Pfft! He calls himself Jjongie!” I muttered. I stared at his adorable nickname. It is adorable I have to admit to myself. I should call him that sometimes. No, no, no, no! It’s embarrassing! My face flushed pink. I started fanning myself because it was getting a little hot suddenly. I placed both of my hands on my warm, pink cheeks.

 

 So this is what love feels like…..