Chapter 2

We Can Call It Fate

2 days passing through in a blink of an eye. I am now, in Grandpa Wu's--my grandpa's friend--house, or to be more exact, mansion. One of his chauffeurs picks me in my house and drive me to Grandpa Wu's mansion to get ready for my wedding day. So here I am now. The maids are busy doing my hair and make up. The other one was busy manicuring my nails. Other girls, maybe would feel like they are being treated like a princess. But now, what I feel, more likely, like I was being decorated as an offering.
 

Grandpa Wu was really nice, actually. He doesn't feel like a bad guy that will force me into this marriage. But moral, keep me from running away. It's not too bad, having a new family and a new grandpa, after losing one a long time ago.
 

"Miss, you may now put on your dress." one of the maids give me my wedding dress. With a heavy heart, I put it on. It fit my body perfectly.
 

After the maid putting on the tiara on my hair and another one put on my shoes, I was now the perfect bride.
 

"Miss Hee Jin, Master ask you to come to living room. I will be your guide." said one of the maids while bowing.
 

I followed her to a room with big wooden double door. She opened it and bowing while letting me in with her hand gesture. I entered the room and saw Grandpa Wu sitting near the fireplace.
 

"Oh, there you are Hee Jin. Come and sit here." he said, gesturing me to sit near him.
 

I sat in front of him.
 

"What a beauty, exactly like your grandma." he smiled after looking at me in the wedding dress.
 

"Thank you, Mr. Wu." I replied formally.
 

"Oh, no need to be formal. Just call me grandpa.."
 

"Yes.... grandpa.." I said awkwardly. It's been a long time since the last time I called my grandpa.
 

"I'm sorry for surprising you and your mom, Hee Jin.. I've been searching for you since I heard that your dad passed away. But you and your mom was nowhere to be found, so it took this long for me to find you.." he sips his tea. "I'm sorry that I decide to arrange your marriage with my grandson in such a rush. You must be surprised and uncomfortable. But Hee Jin, I just want to keep this lifetime promise with your grandpa, and we've delayed it for one generation when both of us have only a son. Then it comes you and Kris."
 

Kris? So that's my future husband's name?
 

"Oh, surely it will be rude if you never meet your husband before marriage. Call Kris to come here, Hoon." Grandpa Wu asked one of his butlers. The butler bow and leave the room.
 

I sit there in silent, playing with my finger.
 

"Do you want to know the story between me and your grandpa?" Grandpa Wu ask.
 

"Sure.." I smiled, at least, when one of us talked, it will be less awkward.
 

"Both of us meet at the army. It was World War at that time and we were assigned as guard at the same station." he started. "One day, our station was attacked. One of the enemy almost shot me to death, if only, your grandpa didn't saved me and sacrifice himself to get shot on his arm. Since that day, we become best friends."
 

At that time, there was a knock at the door followed by the door creak opened. "You ask me to come, grandpa?" a husky voice was heard.
 

"Yes, Kris. Come in." Grandpa Wu said to the voice owner.
 

There at the door, stand a freaking tall man with brown hair. When he walks closer, I noticed his perfectly shaped face. His sharp jawline and nose. I blinked, can't believe that this gorgeous man is my husband-to-be.
 

But those piercing eyes.. Seems like he doesn’t like me.
 

"Sit here, Kris." Grandpa Wu patted the seat beside him. He obidiently sit there. "Hee Jin, this is Kris, my grandson. And Kris, this is your future wife, Kim Hee Jin.."
 

I bowed my head, as he does the same. It's awkward...... How can we marry in this state?
 

“No need to be so formal.. He may look scary, but he is very nice inside..” said Grandpa Wu. “Well then, I’ll leave both of you for a conversation. Be nice to her, Kris..” Grandpa Wu pat his shoulder and left the room.
 

Silence overtook the atmosphere. I fiddled my finger while he sips his tea. Awkward.. awkward.. How should I get out of this situation?
 

Rrrrr.. Saved by the bell.. I took my phone out of my clutch. My mom. “Umm, I have to answer this call.. I’ll excuse myself..” I said while holding my phone. My mom calls.
 

I feel his gaze was following me, but I didn’t dare to look back and I left the room.
 

Once I was in the corridor, I adjust my heartbeat before taking my mom’s call.
 

“Yes, Mom?” I answered.
 

“Hee Jin, are you okay there?”
 

“Yes, I’m perfectly fine, Mom..”
 

“Have you met your fiance? Is he nice?”
 

No, seems like he hates me.. “Of course. He’s good looking, too.”
 

“Thank God.. I was worried that your future husband will give you burden.”
 

“No need, Mom. He’s nice. You are coming here right?”
 

“Of course, sweetheart. I’ll be there.. I just need to take care of some things first.”
 

There is a gap of silent between us.
 

“I can’t believe I am sending you off this fast, dear..” I can hear her sniffling.
 

“It’s just a matter of time, Mom..”
 

“You’re going to be happy for me, right?”
 

I smiled even though I know she can’t see me. “Of course. You, too.. Be happy for me, Mom. Just start a new life with a new husband. I know you need one since I wouldn’t be there again for you.” I laugh.
 

“Ouch this kid. I’ll hang up. I know you are still busy with your preparation. I love you, dear.”
 

“I love you, too, Mom..”
 

My tears almost fell if I didn’t hold it back. You have to be strong Hee Jin.. For your mom, for yourself..
I blinked to prevent the tears from falling.

 

"Huh? My ring? Where could I dropped it?" I noticed my ring was gone. "Uh, I wouldn't need it again, anyway.. I'm soon a married woman.." bitterly I walked back to my preparation room.