Chapter 1

We Can Call It Fate

I was still in dreamland when I heard my mom's voice beside me. "Sweetheart.." she my hair. "Wake up.. It's 7 already.."


"Uh, mom.. But it's Saturday.. Can I sleep a bit more?" I replied with hoarse voice.
 

"Sweetheart, there's something I need to tell you.." her tone is serious.. I wonder what it is..
 

I sat up with my eyes partially closed. "Yes, I'm listening, Mom.."
 

"Hee Jin.. I believe that you are now mature enough to talk about this to me.." she started. Seriously, what is this about?
 

"You know how hard our finance is.. We barely made it every month for our living.. And as you know, because of our debt, we cannot save anything from our earnings.." she caress my hand with her thumb. "Didn't you feel like..... tired?"
 

"What do you mean by tired Mom? As long as I am still with you, and still can live with you, anything was fine. Even if we should run away from those debt collectors, I am fine Mom.. As long as I have you.." I smiled.
 

"Dear.." she sighed. "You know, it is really hard to tell you this.."
 

"Just say it, Mom.. I'm okay.."
 

"I'm not really sure that you remember your grandpa--the one from your dad's side.." she stated. Yes, I even barely remember my dad who passed away when I was 14. Car accident. It was a painful memory, since our family originally was a harmonious family. Since then, my mom was being a single parent to raise me by herself, not even thinking of remarried.
 

"Your grandpa, when he was younger, he made a promise with his friend. That they would marry off their child. But since, both of them have a son, they couldn't. But before he passed away, he told me and your dad, that he would like to keep those promise by marry you off to his friend's grandson. After he passed away, we didn't have any contact with his friend, until last week.." she stopped.
 

I don't have a good feeling about this..
 

"Last week, your grandpa's friend comes to meet me in person. He apologized that he meet me just now. He said that he spent years to look for me and you after he heard about your dad's death. And, he said that he would like to fulfill that promise he made with your grandpa.." she stopped again. Her eyes are moist, almost crying.
 

I hugged her. "Why did you cry? It's not like you did something wrong.." I her back, comforting her.
 

"Dear, he payed for our debts.." she whispered. I freeze.
 

I broke our hug and look her straight in the eyes. "What do you mean?" my tone become a bit colder.
 

"He did all those research about our life, Hee Jin.. He know that we have debts, that's why, to make us agree, he payed our debts before he meet me." she start sobbing. "I'm sorry Hee Jin."
 

I know, even if we work our of for our whole life, we wouldn't be able to repay for those money. I was also not that kind of person, who would just give a "thanks for paying for our debts". I know that this comes with consequences.
 

"I'm okay, Mom.. It's not your fault. We should fulfill grandpa's will anyway, right?" I wiped her tears. "I'll do it.."
 

"Are you really okay, Hee Jin? We can meet them and said that you don't want it.."
 

"Mom, even if we're poor, we know that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Even if we want to return those money, you know that the best, that we can't even if we work for him our whole life. Mom, this is the only way. I'm fine.."
 

"What about your feelings?"
 

"It's really fine, Mom.. It's not like I'm marrying a criminal or violent husband. I believe grandpa would only choose the best for me. So, stop crying, okay?" I once again wiped her tears from her cheek.
 

"He said that the wedding will be held in 2 days."
 

I sighed. Like I have a choice to refuse. I nodded.
 

"I'm sorry, daughter.. I'm not good enough to protect you.."
 

"It's not your fault, Mom."
 

I'm sorry, I can't wait for you anymore. Unconsciously I the ring attached to my phone.
 

-FLASHBACK-
"It's my promise, Mei Li! I will come back! Just wait, I will be back to you and I will never leave again!"
-END OF FLASHBACK-