Chapter 10

How Much Is Your Soul (This version is discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DongHae POV
 

"Why are you staying behind, little fish? It's much more comfortable inside. Come in. Come in”, the young woman said cheerfully and came back to the entrance area. A broad grin had crept onto her face. When she noticed that I still didn't intend to move she grabbed my hand impatiently and pulled into the interior of the apartment.

Her fingertips accidentally touched the graze on my palm. A searing pain shot through my body and made me whine shortly. The woman noticed my reaction immediately. She quickly turned my hand so that she could take a look at the injured site. Her eyebrows rose up when she saw my wound. After a short inspection of the wound she let go of my hand and took a few steps back without saying a word. From the distance she eyed me from head to toe. It didn't take her long to notice the torn jeans and a graze under it.

"Hyung! What have you done", she cried loudly while not letting me out of her sight.
"I didn't do anything!", HyukJae tried to defend himself but the expression on the woman’s face told me that she didn't believe him.
His voice was a little further away from the entrance. It echoed a bit too. Could it be that he's in the bathroom right now? In the background I could hear how he pushed a few things back and forth. What was he looking for?

"You've done something! I know you, Lee HyukJae", his sister shouted again, garbed after my non-wounded hand and pulled me with her into the apartment. As expected, I saw how he was trying to find something in the cabinet at the bathroom. In order to find what he was looking for he had to take out almost everything in there to see what was hiding in the back.
His sister noticed where her brother was as soon as we entered the living room and pulled me in front of the bathroom door straightaway.

"Where is it? It has to be here somewhere", I heard him mutter to himself while he pulled one object after another in order to find the desired. His sister simply stood there and said nothing while watching him. Although she wasn't saying anything, the expression in her eyes said more than a thousand words. For some reason she was not satisfied with her brother’s behavior at all. Was she acting like this because of me and my injuries? It's just a simple scrape. I had seen worse and I was pretty sure that the same goes for them as well.

“Found it!" Lee HyukJae cried triumphantly and then pulled out a small white box in the lower division of the narrow bathroom cabinet. His little treasure didn't stay long in his possession. As soon as he had taken it out, the young woman snatched the box away from him and pulled me in the direction of the two sofas in the middle of the living room. Once we arrived there, she plopped down on one of the couches and immediately began to search through the contents of the box.

Undecided what I should do now, I sat on the other couch and watched critically her hasty search for something. Every now and then I pulled my eyes away from her to let them wander to the bathroom door. I stopped looking in that direction when Lee HyukJae stepped out of the small room to watch his sisters doing from the distance. As soon as I saw him I abruptly turned around and tried to give my full attention to the contents of the box.

The box was nothing more than a small medicine cabinet. Hastily the young woman rummaged in the endless depths of the plastic vessel. Constantly she took out new bandages and medicines, but the thing she was looking for seemed to be nowhere to be found.

"Don't you have any ointment in here?", she suddenly asked.
"Shouldn't it be disinfected first? Disinfectants should be somewhere in there”, Lee HyukJae said somewhat meekly. As he spoke, I glanced over to him. It was unusual to see how his gaze wasn't stuck on me for once. Instead of looking at me he was constantly observing his sisters doing. The latter sighted frustrated, ruffled her hair and let herself fall backwards.
"Hyung, the wounds are probably an hour old. There is no use in disinfect them anymore. That would be the same as wanting to put out a fire with gasoline”, she said instructive and set her eyes on the sealing

"Fire with gasoline ... funny”, I heard Lee HyukJae murmur shortly to himself. Not only me but also his sister seemed to have heard this comment.
"I didn't used gasoline back then" she started crying defensively and turned to face her brother quickly to give him a few offended glances.
"But almost, Oil comes pretty close to gasoline. I really don't get, how you could have thought that oil might be good to put out a fire. There was a fire blanket right next to the oil bottle”, Lee HyukJae teased.
A slightly sardonic smile appeared on his face. He seemed to enjoy the superiority over his sister.

"Hyung~ Are you still mad about this. I really didn't intend to destroy your flat. I swear. I was just... distracted. You've also took your benefits from it. Right? Those windows in the kitchen weren't there before the accident happened. I even brought you a little more daylight into your flat. In fact, you should thank me for being not able to cook eggs two years ago. But enough of that. Don't you really have any ointment?", She asked again a bit more cheerful than before.
Lee HyukJae slowly nodded after he thought about it for a while and disappeared into the bathroom again. The young woman sighed. I heard a 'Why not earlier' from her, but she spoke so quietly that I almost doubted that she really said it .

It didn't took him long to find the ointment. With a satisfied smile he came back to the living room and handed it almost solemnly to his sister. Oblivious to his exaggerated gesture, she took the tube and began to scrutinize the label critically. Soon she had found what she was looking for on the packaging and nodded approvingly. She quickly unscrewed the lid and hoisted a small strip of the ointment on her finger. I watched her in confusion. What was she doing? Why didn't she give me the tube so I could patch me up myself?

With a loud clank she put the tube on the table and stood up. With wide eyes, I watched as she got closer.
"Pants down," she ordered now with a sly grin on her face.
My eyes grew bigger. Was she serious? She can't be serious. Right?

"Noona!", Lee HyukJae cried in protest. He seemed also to be taken aback by her behavior.
"What? Don't be prudish. This wouldn't be the first time that I'd see a guy in his underwear. Believe me, in my job, I see more people in their underwear than I would like to. I would even bet, that until now I've seen more men in their underwear as both of you together”, she said factually and looked at us with doe eyes.

"Can't he do it himself? It's just ointment?" Lee HyukJae asked in my place. The first time since I've met him, I was glad that he was trying to help me.
The young woman raised her eyebrows and looked at me critically. Without hesitation she put her hand on my injured knee and exerted slight pressure on it. Pain immediately spread through it. I pulled air whistling through my teeth to distract myself from the burning pain.
"This is precisely the reason why you can't apply the ointment yourself. If you'd apply it you'll probably avoid the hurting area. That won't be good as your wound wouldn't be able to heal properly. You can patch yourself up tomorrow. Most of the pain should be gone by then. Come on now. Pants down", she ordered again.

At the sound of her command, I felt how my cheeks started to get warmer. I somehow had the feeling that my face will soon have the color of a tomato. I looked down in embarrassment. How could a woman just... be this direct? I had never met a woman like her before. Shouldn't women be cute and remain silent? Those women in dramas always were like this.

I heard how someone left the room. The woman also seemed to notice this as well. Critically looked in the direction, Lee HyukJae had disappeared to. However, after a short while he came back to the living room. He held the dark pair of sweat pants in his hands, which he had given me last evening. He gently laid it on the free area right next to me. With wide eyes I looked at Lee HyukJae. Does he now support his sisters’ plan as well? Why?

I sighed. Finally, I nodded slightly and stood up to take off my jeans. Basically this was nothing special, but with the knowledge that I was being watched by two persons made me feel quite queasy.
The denim around my injured knee taped lightly on the wound and caused it to rip open again when I removed my jeans. Blood started to pool where previously had been protective crust. I swallowed. I knew what that meant. Only a little later my surmise got confirmed by the loud voice of the young woman.

"Wait, I'll get the disinfectant. The wound just opened again"
Lee HyukJae's Noona hastily dug in the little box again until she found a small clear glass bottle. She even has been able to find cotton. With a fast beating heart, I watched how she soaked the cotton with the malodorous liquid. After the cotton was soaked with enough liquid she moved with it closer to my injured knee. I closed my eyes. Inwardly, I prepared myself to feel the burning pain which came sooner as I hoped to.

This pain was far worse than expected. I tried to concentrate on my breathing to ease to get my mind of the hurting part of my body. A slight pressure on my shoulders distracted me from doing so.
As soon as I felt the touch of someone on my shoulder I opened my eyes again and looked behind me to see who was standing behind me. It was no other then Lee HyukJae. Nervously he stood behind me and lightly massaged my shoulders. It amazed me to see that he avoided my gaze. Constantly his gaze wandered everywhere but me. Confused, I kept staring at him. His actions and his eyes irritated me so much that I not even tried to make his hands let go of my shoulders. Lee HyukJae worked as a distraction pure miracles. I didn't even feel how his sister put some ointment on the wound after disinfection it.

"You can put on your pants again, little fish," she said cheerfully while smiling kindly at me here after she put a bandage around the injured place.
I immediately pulled me away from his clutches and reached for the training pants right next to me. The whole thing was still quite embarrassing to me, but now that I was allowed to wear pants again the situation was a lot more bearable.
While I put on my pants, I continued watching Lee HyukJae from the corner of my eyes. His eyes were constantly on something else, never on me. Once I had pulled the new pair of pants over my legs, his behavior changed again. Strange.

"Now that that's done, we can devote ourselves to the more pleasant things in life. Hyung, where is the bottle of Soju? I think you should celebrate our reunion. How long has it been since we last saw each other? One year? Two years? Wah~ you grew so much in that time, my little monkey Hyung", she said cheerfully while clapping enthusiastically in her hands. The smile on her face was not fake at all. It was completely real. Unlike her brother her happiness was visible in her eyes very clearly.

Lee HyukJae laughed briefly before he disappeared into the kitchen. I heard how he opened the fridge. Bottles, that hit gently against each other, jingled. A little later he came back with two bottles of Soju and three small shot glasses in his hands. He put the bottle and glasses on the glass table in front of the couch and disappeared into the kitchen to get a couple of side dishes from the refrigerator as well. Not long and the table in front of us was filled with various delicacies.

The young woman had begun to fill Lee HyukJae's and my glass in front of her before she handed me the bottle of Soju so I could pour her glass too. I immediately filled the strong smelling liquid in her glass, whereupon she began to happily jump around while sitting opposite of me.

"Wah~ it seems to me like an eternity since the last time I was drinking Soju with my Hyung. I blame the vast ocean between us. In any case, to us and our new friend”, she said while raising her glass in the air to toast.
Both of us followed her example quickly and let our glasses easily hit each other. The two siblings emptied their glasses in o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter