Chapter 12

How Much Is Your Soul (This version is discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DongHae POV

A faint smile appeared on Lee HyukJae's face when he saw the young woman. Although he was smiling his eyes remained emotionless. With a short nod he indicated the stranger that he will follow her outside.
"Take a short break. I'll be right back”, he said to his class while already heading towards the door.
I eagerly watched how Lee HyukJae walked to the young woman. With each step his smile seemed to fade a little more. The young woman, who had kept on starring at Lee HyukJae, had already opened the door and held it wide open for him.
The door closed softly behind them. Just like me had the whole class set their eyes on the milk-colored glass door. Absolute silence ruled room. An unusual noise compared to the loud music from before. No one dared to say a word. Instead of words a lot of meaningful glances were exchanged. Even through I've never attended any class in this school before I knew that the appearance of that woman was unusually.

After a few moments the students seemed to dare to make some noise again. Quickly they began to talk quietly with their neighbors. Not long, and a mess of words dominated the room. There were so many voices and words that I barely managed to filter out a decent sentence.
My eyes went back to the door. Dark shadows loomed up behind it. I wonder if those shadows belonged to Lee HyukJae and that woman. It had to be theirs. Who else would be standing in front of this door right now? Based on the shadows I could see that the two were talking eagerly. I prick my ears, hoping to hear Lee HyukJae's voice through silently talking crowd. A project as hopeless as counting the grains of sand in the Sahara.

Who was this woman? Lee HyukJae seemed to know her. Or at least I had the impression that he knew her. He wouldn't have gone outside with her without much hesitation if he didn't know her, right? I was wondering if something had happened. Something must have happened. A teacher wouldn't put his lesson on hold because of something small, right? No, certainly not.
Lost in my own thoughts I slightly put my head to the side. I tried to find answers but only more questions emerged. The most important question appeared at the very end of my train of thought. Why did I even want to know about this matter? I wasn't a student of this dance school. Even if the meeting would involve Lee HyukJae's private life, I would have no right to know what they are talking about. We're strangers. Strangers... and that's not going to change!

"Looks as if Hyukkie will come back with a broken heart again", I suddenly heard someone say which made me shrike out of my thoughts.
My head snapped in the direction of the person who previously spoke. HeeChul sat down beside me and also started to watch the dark shapes on the door.

"A broken heart? Why would he come back with a broken heart?", I asked HeeChul, who took his gaze from the door to look at me directly. A wry smile loomed on his face.
"It's rumored that Hyukkie has fallen in love with our new director. His feelings aren't very difficult to decipher. His behavior has changed since she started working here. The director on the other hand seems to have no interest in our teachers. It's said that he gathered up his courage last week to confess to her. Apparently his confession wasn't what the director wanted to hear from him", HeeChul explained while incessantly glancing back to the two shadows on the door.

HeeChul's words confused me. Lee HyukJae was in love with the director? He was in love with a woman? No, that couldn't be right. That made no sense at all. Why would a man who was in love with a women buy a man? Did this mean that he bought me for another reason than to have... fun? No, that couldn't be. Right?
My thoughts went back to the first night I spent in his home. Hadn't he tried to kiss me back then? I'm sure that I didn't imagine this. Impossible. His face had been so close to mine that night. His attitude towards me made me conclude that this man wasn't into women as well. Or could it be that I all just interpreted wrongly?
"Was that the director just now?", I asked to steer my thoughts to another subject.
HeeChul nodded. His eyes were still starring at the door. The shadows were still very clear visible. It looked as if their conversation didn't want to end.

"What are you talking about? Hopefully it's something more gratifying than what the others are talking about. They're honestly believing that the school has to close soon”,SungMin shook his head in disappointment and sat down to my left.
"What? Again? Aish... The monkey, which we call our teacher, will know to avoid that. Wasn't it last year when he saved the school he saved from its certain doom”, HeeChul cried while nodding confidently before continued to speak with SungMin again with a more muffed voice.
"I just explained DongHae the relationship between Hyukkie and BoA. The poor monkey probably has confessed his feelings again. Hopefully he can handle his rebuff better today. I have no desire to experience his mood swings again this week"

"You can't be serious! HeeChul Hyung, I don't think that our director would interrupt a lesson just to talk with EunHyuk about his feelings for her. This goes against all school policies. In addition... he and she? How do you come up with that idea? Just because he had recruited her a few months ago doesn't mean anything”, SungMin tried to explain to HeeChul, but the latter just put SungMin's arguments aside with a simple hand movement. A superior smile drew on his face now.
"When exactly did those moods swings start? If you think about it, it started shortly before the director got hired. Believe me, he likes her. He likes her very much. I can feel it. Not without a reason am I known as a love compass among my friends”, HeeChul said, and boasted proudly as he uttered the last sentence.
SungMin seemed just slightly impressed by HeeChul's statement. From the corner of my eyes I could see that he was trying hard to not to laugh very loudly because of the previous statement. Despite all his efforts he couldn't suppress a low chuckle.

"Love compass? Are you serious, Hyung? The way I see it are those two just good friends. The two have known each other for a very long time. They knew each other before she even started working here”, SungMin brought forth while chuckling. Not long and SungMin started to burst out of laughter.
I didn't know what was so funny. HeeChul seemed to not understand the sudden laughter of my Hyung as well. For a while he just sat there quietly and watched SungMin.

"Yah! I can detect if someone is in love or not. EunHyuk acts like a little school girl who's having her first date with her secret crush lately. Look at his mood swings. Last week was the worst so far. You must have noticed this as well. Also the director has acted very strangely last week too. There was or is something between them. I'm sure of it", HeeChul called now and defiantly crossed his arms in front of his chest. His expression brooked no backtalk and yet SungMin still didn't manage to soothe his laughter.
"That may be but you... a love compass? If you really have the gift to tell who is in love then please tell me something about the feelings of our Chinese exchange students. The way you behaved in his company didn't seem as if you like him. Is this perhaps the reason why he flew back to China?”,SungMin said and held the hand over his mouth to suppress his laughter shortly after.
HeeChul seemed to be deeply offended by SungMin's behavior. Furious he glared at my Hyung and just wanted to say something in his defense but before he could even open his mouth he got interrupted by someone else.

"Pardon me"
I looked up and recognized the boy immediately. It was TaeMin.
He smiled at me kindly when he noticed that my attention was now fully on him and pointed at the camera which I still was holding in my hands.
"May I have it, please? I want to take a look at the choreography to figure out which parts I have to practice again”, he asked very politely.
I quickly nodded and handed him the camera. Beaming with joy took the boy the camera from me and went to the other site of the studio. I watched how he flipped the small screen open to watch the recording from a few minutes ago.

"And I'm telling you, I can read the signs. Until now I've never been wrong with my assumptions. As for our monkey and our director I'm one hundred percent sure that I'm right. What do you think, DongHae-yah?", I suddenly heard HeeChul ask what made me draw my attention back to him.
Slowly I began to speak. I tried to choose my words as vague as possible, but HeeChul couldn't accept such kind of answers. Eagerly he repeated the question again.

SungMin, who had calmed down a bit, tried to get me out of HeeChul's interrogation liberate and said to the elders that he couldn't ask me such a question as I don't know BoA nor EunHyuk..If I would have been clever I would have agreed with him but unfortunately my mouth was faster than my mind.

"I honestly didn't think that EunHyuk was into woman", I said without much hesitation and wanted to hit myself right after the last word left my mouth. I didn't think that he was into women? How could I say such a thing?

The two stared at me expectantly. I knew that they wanted to hear an explanation or an addition to my statement. Cold sweat broke out on my forehead. I started to restlessly slide back and forth on the floor. How could I escape this situation? I could impossible tell them t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter