Chapter 7

How Much Is Your Soul (This version is discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DongHae POV


I stared at him with my eyes wide open and felt unable to move. Thousands of questions swirled around in my head. Why was he here? Where did he know SungMin from? What does all of this mean?

I watched how the two of them began to talk to each other. Through the distance, I unfortunately wasn't able to hear, what they were talking about. Still they seamed to be very pleased and amused about the unexpected meeting. They were laughing cheerfully. Judging on how they acted around each other, I could have sworn that they had been good friends for quite a long time.

RyeoWook slowly leaned over and asked me quietly if I knew the person SungMin was talking to. I shook my head slightly in response. I couldn't tell him what I knew about the man in front of us. What if I was wrong? It easily could be a person who looked incredibly similar to him and coincidentally wore the same clothes. In fact, I wasn't even able to remember the exact clothing of my "master". I haven't paid much attention to that, this morning.

My eyes were stuck on the person who was called EunHyuk. I tried to find an evidence. An evidence, that would prove that this man wasn't Lee HyukJae. When the man briefly took his gaze from SungMin and looked over to me, I knew it was him. A cold shiver run down my back.

RyeoWook who was next to me tugged my sleeve. Hastily, I turned to him and broke off the eye contact to Lee HyukJae.
"Let's go to SungMin Hyung. Anyways we need to separate them soon, as our next class starts in fifteen minutes. If SungMin wouldn't have such bad cards with his singing teacher, I wouldn't play the spoilsport now", said RyeoWook and stood up immediately.

RyeoWook took a few steps towards SungMin. When he noticed that I still haven’t moved, he came back to me, grabbed my wrists and pulled me up. His gaze was drawn by surprise and slight confusion. Did he noticed that I didn't want to get to know the two strangers?

"Come on, Hyung", commanded the younger and began to pull me in the direction of our mutual friend. With each step towards the small group of three people, the strange feeling in my stomach became worse. How should I react? Should I pretend like I knew him or would it be more appropriate to say, that I had never met him before? The second one seemed to be the most plausible way to act, but how will he react to it?

It didn't take us long to get to the little group. Because of the close distance I was able to see SungMin's friends clearer. One of them really was a stranger to me. He was tall. Very tall, in fact. It wouldn't surprise me if he was ten or more inches taller than me. His face was like one of those you often get to see in magazines. He was a good-looking young man, who could work as a model, I guess.

RyeoWook let go of my wrists, when we reached the group. When SungMin noticed us, he started to introduce his friends. That way I soon got to know that the second person was called Choi SiWon. Lee HyukJae was introduced to us as Lee EunHyuk.

For decency's sake I slightly bowed. I saw how RyeoWook immediately did the same. Lee HyukJae, who noticed this gesture, stopped us in the middle of our bowing.
"No need to be formal. We're all students here, right? Let's talk comfortably with each other. Do you all have the same major?", Lee HyukJae asked with interest, while his eyes were constantly stuck on me.

SungMin immediately answered Lee HyukJae's question. My friend doesn't seem to notice my sudden uneasiness and Lee HyukJae's gazes. I became increasingly uncomfortable. I wanted to get away from here. Away from him.

"Only RyeoWook and I have the same major. We study music. RyeoWook is in his second semester while I'm in my fourth. DongHae is also in his fourth semester. Unlike RyeoWook and I, DongHae has two majors. Literature and Korean language if I'm not mistaken. Right, DongHae-yah?", explained SungMin brightly.

I simply nodded, as SungMin was staring at me at the end of his statement as if he wanted me to confirm everything he just said. Satisfied SungMin began to grin and turned back to the two men in front of us.

"Interesting. How does it come that you know each other? Did you grow up with each other?", asked the second man, whose name I unfortunately forgot already.

"I knew SungMin Hyung before I came to this college. We actually grew up together. We got to know DongHae Hyung in the last term through a multidisciplinary project. Since then we're pretty good friends. Am I right, Hyung?", said RyeoWook and looked at me with bright eyes.

In response, I nodded again briefly and stared at the floor. The four kept talking for quite a while. I listened to the conversation only half hearted.

My thoughts spun around again. They were looking for a way out of my dilemma, but there wasn't a solution in sight. SungMin still seems to be my last chance to escape, but for now it was impossible to ask for his help again. Lee HyukJae would immediately know what I was planning on. As soon as he would know about it he'll sure find a way to prevent my escape.

When it got quiet around me, I slowly looked up. All eyes were on me now. I could feel how my blood shot into my face.
"What do you think about it, DongHae-yah? Would it be OK for you as well?", SungMin asked like he was expecting something.

Although I had no idea what he was talking about, I began to nod whereupon a satisfied smile appeared on SungMin's face. The rest of the group seemed to like my answer too. Only one of them seemed to notice that I was absent minded while they were discussing something.
"Are you OK, DongHae-yah? You seem slightly absent. Is something bothering you?", Lee HyukJae asked with concern.

I was about to answer but SungMin was faster.
"EunHyuk-ah is right. You act really strange today. Otherwise you're the purest sunshine, but today... Did something happen in Mokpo? Is that the reason why you wanted me to drive you to the Express Bus Terminal?"

My eyes widened in shock. Why? Why did he ask this question now? Now Lee HyukJae definitely knew about my escape plan. Would he let his people know about it right away?

"What are you talking about, Hyung? I don't need to go to Mokpo. Why would I want to go there in the middle of the semester?", I asked innocently, trying to escape the situation and save my plan. Without success. A look to Lee HyukJae told me that he had figured me out. Slightly embarrassed I bit my lower lip and looked in a different direction.

"But earlier you said..."
"I haven't said anything like that, Hyung. I should concentrate on my studies right now. Speaking of it, we should go now, right? The next lesson will start soon", I interrupted SungMin, trying to distract from the original topic again.

RyeoWook was the first who fell for my distraction. As soon as I mentioned the next lecture, he looked at his wrist watch and got slightly pale.
"DongHae Hyung is right. We only have five minutes left”, he said in panic and started to bid his goodbyes. The other three didn't want to be late as well. After saying their goodbyes, we went off in different directions.

No one noticed that I didn't move to the direction of my next lecture. Lee HyukJae briefly looked back at me, but didn't stop me. Why should he? He didn't know where my next lesson is.

I went off towards the main building. Not much longer and I would arrive at the main entrance. I had decided to take a taxi. With the still remaining 10.000 won I'd be able to go to an other district of Seoul. Even thought I didn't want to stay much longer in Seoul I have no other choice.

I just turned around a corner, as someone bumped into me. Startled by the sudden impact, I started to stumble and fell on my . The other person seamed to struggle as well. I heard paper fluttering through the air while books fell on the cobbled floor. Something not far away from me rattled, as it hit the ground. A deep impact told me that the other person had fallen now too. I heard a young man's voice. He swore under his breath.

"Don't you have eyes in your head! There are other people too, you know?", he said annoyed and tried to immediately straighten up himself again.
"I could say the same", I replied and looked up at to person who ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter