Chapter 6

How Much Is Your Soul (This version is discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DongHae POV
 


"DongHae Sunbae", someone joyfully shouted in front of me.
At the sound of my own name, I shrank together a little. I quickly broke my gaze from the wad of cash, stuffed it in my pocket and looked around to find the caller.

The entrance area of the building was fully packed with students who were either on their way to their next lesson or who were simply enjoying a free hour. Despite the crowd, it was not difficult for me to locate the person who was calling me.

With long steps, a medium-sized young man with black-brown, slightly longer hair came my way. His face seemed incredibly familiar, but I couldn't remember his name. Where did I know him from?

On his way to me the young man tripped over his own feet. It looked as if he would lie flat on the ground soon, but the man was able to just hold on to a nearby student and save himself from the great humiliation that way. He looked apologetically at the student he grabbed a hold on before and then continued his way towards me.

"Sunbae, do you feel a bit better? You still don't look healthy to me", said the man and immediately began to scrutinize my face as soon as he successfully closed the distance between us.

Confused, I looked up to the slightly taller man. If I felt better? How did he get the idea that I'd been sick?

The man, whose name I still wasn't able to remember, noticed my confusion and finally said that he had this information from my friends.
"SungMin and RyeoWook have been talking about nothing else in the past week. I think that they've been very worried about you. Especially because they didn't know where you were staying after your tenancy was terminated. Your landlord was no help to them either. She only said that your small attic apartment had already been rented out to someone else", he explained with a cheerful tone in his voice.

"You are visiting a music course now?" he suddenly asked and earned another puzzled look from me with this question. Somehow I had the feeling that something was wrong on campus, too. How did he come to the conclusion that I was taking a music course now? I was a literature student!

Confused, I shook my head.
"No? Too bad. Then you must have come to visit SungMin and RyeoWook. Am I right? Why else would you come to us musicians? Unfortunately both of them are not here right now. No wait, RyeoWook should be somewhere on campus but don't ask me where exactly. SungMin on the other hand will come here later today, as his first class starts at eleven o'clock " said the man and began to grin widely.

Finally, I remembered from where I knew him. A smile crept onto my face. How could I not recognize Lee JinKi? The man that I first met half a year ago through a project. Through him I got to know my two best friends, SungMin and RyeoWook.

"What a shame. I would have liked to see them briefly. Well then... my next lesson is starting soon. You know how it is”, I said and wanted to go back to where I came from, but JinKi quickly grabbed a hold of my arm.

"My next lesson is in an other building, too. Where do you have to go next?" JinKi asked cheerfully and looked at me expectantly.
When I hesitantly told him the name of the building where my next lesson would take place, he began to smile brightly.

"I have to go there too. We can go together, then. By the way, have you been to the new grilled chicken shop near the main building's cafeteria? I tell you, I've never eaten such good chicken before and this means something, coming from me", babbled JinKi and pulled me toward the building in which my Chinese course would take place. I didn't want to go there with him. I wanted to go to a quiet place to work out my escape plan, but from now on, there was no way back.

As we left the building, I looked down to the car parking area again. Lee HyukJae's car was still in the same place. Why hadn't he left yet? He had seen how I went into one of the buildings. Had he been aware of my thoughts about my next escape? Please don't let this be the case! Please, please! I really didn't need any guards who would prevent me from leaving the area later.

JinKi, still constantly talking, accompanied me to my classroom's building. I didn't listen to him anymore. My thoughts spun too much around Lee HyukJae, his car and my escape plan, which still was in baby shoes. How could I run away when Lee HyukJae still was in the college area? He was probably watching every single one of my moves right now to step in as soon as I tried to run away again. In addition to this problem I kept on thinking of how I could possibly get more money. 10,000 Won would be enough to buy a bus ticket out of town but I needed more money to even get to the terminal. 7,000 won or a car would be more than enough.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice that we had already arrived at our destination.
"Are you really sure that you're okay, Sunbae? You seem somehow absent and silent today. Maybe you should consult a doctor", I heard JinKi suggest as we entered the building.

I hastily shook my head, smiled, and assured him again that I was fine. He looked at me suspiciously. I noticed that he didn't trust my previous statement about my health. He was about to speak again as a melodic chime echoed through the hall. The sign that the lessons would begin shortly.

JinKi sighed and asked on which floor my class would take place. As I suspected his lesson on one of the upper floors, I told him that I had to go to the basement. JinKi didn't notice my lie and slowly nodded.
"Take care of yourself, okay? If you're feeling worse again you'd better go back home and get some rest, Sunbae. You don't have to prove to anyone how strong you are. I have to go now. Japanese class calls. Get well soon”, JinKi said somewhat reluctantly and and stumbled toward the big stairs in the middle of the entrance hall.

I stared after JinKi, until he disappeared from my view. Finally, I was alone. I was finally able to focus a little bit better on my escaping plan.
Should I flee on foot? Walking to the Seoul Express Bus Terminal would take forever. Who knows if I would make it on time for the last departure there. Another terminal was out of the question as the way to get there was even longer then the way to the Express Bus Terminal.
I didn't want to take a taxi. The little money I had was too precious for me. Although I could get to another district of Seoul with this little amount, the danger that I would run into him or one of his staff later on was far too high.

Suddenly I had an idea: SungMin! Didn't he own a car? Maybe he could take me to the bus terminal. It wouldn't be the first time that he would do me such a favor. A glance at the clock told me that it was just shortly after ten o'clock. In a little less than an hour, SungMin's lessons would begin. With a bit of luck, I would find him at noon near the cafeteria.

To make the time go by faster until the lunch break started, I decided to take part in my classes. Being in the classroom wouldn’t mean that I would focus on my studies. Rather then studying I'd be planning my escape. I slowly climbed up the stairs to the third floor. The aisles in the upper part of the building were almost extinct. No wonder. The students were all in their classrooms now.

As I walked down the so well-known bright hallway, I heard the loud voices of the teachers who were about to explain something to their students. I also heard such a voice out of the room I was about to enter. Mao Seonsaeng-nim had never really been one of my favorite teachers. His sometimes gruff and tough way to teach his students brought everyone to thoroughly prepare for class in order not to experience one of his infamous comments.

I sadly stared at the doorknob. This should be my last lesson? My heart sank at the thought of leaving this college. I wouldn't be able to keep my promise. The promise that had brought me into this whole situation.

My hand moved to the doorknob and pushed the metal piece down slowly. I swallowed loudly and listened to the voice of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter