Chapter 1

Wanting You

 

tumblr_m3x0d0ymlT1r05x9uo1_500.jpg

 

He first heard of the name Seo Joo Hyun when a rumor started going around the company that a girl had gotten through the auditions by singing children's nursery songs. 

It was amusing, since he remembers how everyone was shocked that he was selected after clapping like an army man when they asked him to dance during his own audition. He hoped he could meet this girl and congratulate her himself. 

Soon, she became part of SM's new project to form a girl group that would rival S.E.S. in influence and popularity. That same year, DBSK debuted and Changmin found himself too busy to think about his new dongsaeng. Their debut song, "Hug" was a hit and he and his hyungs were the new sensation in the Kpop scene. He also had to deal with becoming the maknae with no sunbae to really offer any advice, and at only 15 years of age, he was more than a little overwhelmed.

That's why he could sympathsize a few years later when Girl's Generation was announced and Seo Joo Hyun became Seohyun, the 16 year old maknae who while cute and charming, was also shy and quiet.  

He comes across her by chance one afternoon, alone on the roof of their company's building.

"Joohyun-ah, what are you doing up here by yourself?"

"Ah, Changmin sunbae! How are you?" she says, surprised by his sudden appearance.

He smiles as she bows and insists on greeting him politely. 

"Hey, we're part of the same company - you don't have to be so formal."

"Ah, I guess I cannot help it"

"So how is everything going? You must be very excited about the debut of SNSD."

"Yes! It has been a whirlwind so far. I actually came up here to kind of catch my breath."

He nods, understanding the stress she must be going through.

"You have to remember to keep yourself healthy. Try to eat and sleep well every day, even though it will be difficult," he advises.

"Thank you, I will" she promises earnestly.

"But yeah, I like coming up here a lot too - especially when I need to think through things." he continues.

Together, they lean against the railing and watch the sunset over the city in a companionable silence. 

He sneaks a peak at her - she looks angelic with the fading sunlight around her, but the expression on her face is wistful.

"Are you worried?" he questions.

"Yes, a little. I feel like I may be losing some part of myself by becoming Seohyun. I don't know if I can do it."

"She is so straightforward and honest," Changmin thinks. "It's very refreshing."
 

"Joohyun-ah," he says firmly, looking her straight in the eye. "As long as you stay true to yourself and surround yourself with friends you can really trust, that won't happen. And the world wants to meet you, not whatever concept the management made up. Show them how brilliant you are and then won't be able to resist."

She blushes, but now looks more determined. "You're right. I have been training for a long time for this and I'm ready. And I will always have the support of my unnies."

"And me." he adds.

"Ne?"

"Of course, we maknaes have to stick together. Just think of me as your go-to pep talk guru." he winks.

She laughs and nods. "Ok then. Maknaes fighting!"

"Maknaes fighting!" he cheers with her.

"I think I should get going to my schedule now," she says.

"Ok. Good luck with everything."

"Thank you! You too."

She bows and turns to the door when he calls out, "Joohyun!"

"Ne?"

"Call me Oppa then."

"Ar...araseo." she stammers. "See you later then, Changmin Oppa"

He just smiles and waves.

After she's left, he thinks to himself that he will make sure to help her when she needs him, because although there was no one to fulfill this role for him, he will be there for her.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months later:

 

"Kyuhyun oppa how could you!" Yoona exclaims.

Changmin turns the corner in the halls of the broadcasting studio and is surprised to see his best friend Kyuhyun and SNSD's Yoona and Sooyoung in a confrontation.

"What happened?" he asks the girls. Glancing at Kyuhyun, he notices that his friend is looking sheepish. 

"Kyuhyun oppa did something to our maknae!" Yoona continues.

Changmin's eyebrows shoot straight up. He stares at the original "evil maknae" with an incredulous look.

"Ya! Changmin don't look at me like that. I didn't do anything, I swear."

If it hadn't been Kyuhyun, Changmin might have punched someone already.

"He called her y!" Sooyoung spoke up.

Changmin pauses and doesn't know whether to be idignant or to laugh. 

"It was meant to be a compliment, honestly." Kyuhyun says in his own defense.

"Yeah well she ran off crying, oppa." 

"I'm sorry, really. I definitely didn't mean to make her cry. Should I go find her and apologize?"

Yoona and Sooyoung shake their heads. "I think it would be too embarrassing for her right now - we'll take care of this oppa."

"Maybe you could think of another way to make it up to her, Kyuhyun oppa." Sooyoung adds, with a friendly smile.

"For instance, I happen to know that her favorite food is goguma - anything with goguma."

With that, the two girls walked off to find Seohyun and offer her some comfort.

 

"Man, I knew she was innocent but I had no idea she would react like that!" Kyuhyun remarks, when the two boys are alone.

Changmin shakes his head. "Joohyun is a very different kind of girl."

"You seem to know her better than I. And how come you still call her Joohyun?" Kyuhyun observes.

"I'm not sure - I just got used to it I guess." Changmin pats Kyuhyun's shoulder and changes the topic. "Come on, I'll help you pick out an apology present."

"Yeah, know anywhere that has good gogumas?"

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two years later and SNSD have become Korea's representative girl group with their hit song, "Gee". Changmin watches their performance on Music Bank one day, and is entertained by their cute antics.

"Our dongsaengs always look so young and lively," he remarks to Yunho.

His leader looks up and grins, "Of course. They're SNSD - keeping up the spirits of all army eligible men in Korea."

"Hmm. Do you think they'll ever try something different from this 'cute' image?"

Yunho shrugs. "Who knows. But if isn't broke, don't fix it I guess."

So Changmin is a little surprised when "Genie" comes out a few months later with the girls donning y Marine outfits. He can't help but stare as the camera pans up their long legs. When his little Joohyun comes into view, his eyes almost bulge out of their sockets. He jumps when Jaejoong stealthily creeps over and pokes his tummy. 

"Max, what are you up to? You look like you just saw your favorite food or something."  

"Ha, that's a lie. You know I can't choose a favorite dish. I'm an indiscriminate lover of all food."   

Jaejoong glances at Changmin's computer screen and grins. "Aha. Admiring the new release by SNSD hm?"

"I was just surprised. Look at that for instance" he points, as the girls stand in a line, waving and then ily turn and walk. "Even the maknae! She wearing such ...such-"

"Short shorts?"

"Ya!" 

"Hey, I was just voicing what you were thinking!"

"They're our dongsaengs!"

"Ok ok, no need to get so overprotective. But maybe they've grown up more than you think." Jaejoong reminds him and walks off to bother the other members.

"More than I think?" Changmin questions himself.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later, he arranges to have coffee with her after their schedules end for the day. 

"Joohyun-ah, how have things been?"

"Very good, thanks oppa. How about you?"

"I'm ok. I really like your new song 'Genie', by the way. It's very different."

"Yes- we went for a completely unique concept didn't we?" she agrees.

"Are you ... comfortable with everything?"

"Ne? Should I not be?"

He glances at her and takes her in. She is wearing jean shorts, heels, and a form fitting white flutter top today. Her long hair hangs loose around her shoulders.

seohyun1.jpg

 

"Where did this confident young woman come from?" he thinks to himself.

"No, that's good. I just wanted to make sure." Suddenly, he's curious about something. "Joohyun-ah, do you have a boyfriend?"

Startled, she nearly lets her drink slip from her fingers. "... Oppa, why do you ask?"

He smiles to reassure her and says, "I just think you're at the right age to be interested in that kind of thing."

"Ah, well I don't really have time for a boyfriend at this moment."

"That's true, but you should always try new things. You are young, so live your life as fully as possible."

She contemplates this, and says, "Oppa, are you experienced in this area?"

"Ahem... uh, well a little bit, yes."

"A little bit?"

".... Well, I've had a few girlfriends here and there."

"Ah, I see." she responds. "Were any of them like me?"

Changmin is so surprised he chokes on his coffee. The atmosphere has become .... different now. "Is she flirting with me?" he wonders.

"I... I'm not sure - "

"Because I'm not sure you'd be able to handle someone like me" she murmurs, and maintains her eye contact with him.

He gulps - her eyes are rather captivating. He's always thought so, but today, they are giving off an entirely new feel.

"What do you think Oppa? Can you handle me?" she says, now looking at him through her long, dark lashes.

Changmin tries to regain some composure. "It depends what you mean when you say handle," he replies softly.

She smiles a little, leans forward and whispers into his ear, "Somehow, I think I'd have to show you."

She sits back down, and he is completely dazed. Was he dreaming? A few weeks ago, this scenario would have been ridiculous to him.

Then, it's as if that little conversation never happened.

"Ah, Oppa I wanted to tell you that I'm reading this great book right now."

"Book?"

She giggles, "Yes. It's about a mother and how she was able to support her daughter who had cancer. It's really very touching. Would you like to borrow it when I"m done?"

He just nods.

She smiles - or wait, was it a smirk? he asks himself. "Since when does Seo Joo Hyun smirk?"

"It's getting late, we should probably head back," she reminds him.

Although his head is full of unanswered questions, he agrees and offers to drive her home.

As she stands, he notices how the heels and shorts have made her legs look impossibly long. He tries his best not to stare as he follows her out of the coffee shop. 

 

That night, back at his dorm, he sinks into his bed still thinking about her. His hyungs have all gone out to party for the night, so for once, everything is quiet. Changmin would have probably gone with them had they not partied for 3 consecutive nights before this. Sometimes, enough was enough and he just wanted some quiet company and not the rowdiness of the boys. His coffee date with Seohyun should have accomplished this goal, but now he was more confused than ever.  

"JooHyun, what should I do with you?" he falls asleep pondering.

The next morning, he has an answer - he would observe her more closely. Surely yesterday was just something he imagined, right?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:  

1. TVXQ will not be breaking up in this story. I just don't think I'd be able to write about it.    :(

2. I know this post has a lot less ... er ... action in it, but I felt it was important to set up the foundation of their relationship. Don't worry though, the steamy moments are soon to come.