Chapter 3

Wanting You

 

 

tumblr_m3vfdcDhYZ1qaa7wpo1_500.jpg

 

"Joohyun-ah, how are you? My hair is a mess today... keke"

            

QeYauJx.jpg

"Oppa, I miss you. And your hair looks very nice ^^"

 

Seohyun POV:

It was only a matter of time, I figured, before he caught on. Perhaps that was part of my plan, right?

Who am I kidding, I don't have a plan - when it comes to Changmin oppa, all of my carefully laid out schemes go right out the window the minute I come face to face with his y smirk, adorable eyes, and disheveled hair. 

It was strange, because no other guy affected me like this. While my unnies are constantly discussing their latest crushes and the hot new actor in a drama, I never felt the desire to join in.

At first, he had been the considerate sunbae who supported me from behind the scenes for many years. Sometimes it would be a kind text from him checking up on me or a candy bar left in my locker to congratulate me on my gradual improvement. As I grew older, we would hang out in the afternoons, me practicing piano and him reading comics. I always wondered why he chose to stay with me instead of going out with the older kids or finding a girlfriend. He claimed that someone needed to watch over me, as I was one of the youngest in the company. 

This would always irk me - I was 16 and did not need a babysitter! His only answer ever was to ruffle my hair, grin infuriatingly and say, "But Joohyun-ah, you're my favorite dongsaeng!"

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When he and TVXQ went to Japan, it felt as if something was depressingly missing from my life. Yoona unnie was the first to notice, and she soon recruits Jessica unnie to corner me one day.

"Seororo, what's happened to you lately? You've been moping around every day and not even wanting to practice piano!" Yoona says, with concerned eyes.

I only shake my head slowly in response.

Yoona sighs, "Is it something wrong at school? Or with one of us here? I know, did Sooyoung eat your goguma without asking again? We really need to talk to her."

Jessica goes the route of tough love. "Seo Joo Hyun, you can't let this happen. Whatever is making you so sad, is not worth it. Omo, it's not a guy is it?"

"Seobaby?! Interested in a guy?!" Yoona gasps. 

Although Jessica may seem a little slow, you should never underestimate her natural instincts when it comes to anything relationship related.

"But who would it be?" she ponders to herself.

"Minho, from SHINee? He's the same age, hm but personality doesn't seem to match... Jinwoon? a giant fanboy, not exactly worth all of this angst." 

"Aha!" she yells suddenly.

"Unnie! You scared me!" Yoona exclaims.

Jessica ignores her and looks straight into my eyes, "Why didn't I notice before! Of course, it's Changmin oppa."

My eyes go  wide - what is she talking about?

"She likes Changmin oppa?! Wait, when did this happen?" Yoona asks, looking towards me.

"No! I do not like him, not like that." I refuse, this all seems so silly.

Jessica's expression softens, "Seo, don't you miss him?"

"Of course, just like I miss Yunho oppa and all of the other oppas."

"But none of them would make you feel like this, right?"

"I...I don't know."

Yoona pats my hand. "It's ok, Seohyun, you don't have to know. You're too young for that kind of thing."

"Aniyo, Yoona, she should acknowledge her feelings. It will make things easier. Trust me" Jessica responds.

"Why do I need to acknowledge anything? He's not even here ..." I  burst out, uncharacteristically.

She smiles, "He's here. He's in your heart, isn't he?"

This, I could not deny. 

"I don't think he will feel the same unnie, he only sees me as his little dongsaeng."

"You don't know that until you try, Seohyun," Jessica replies.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
And of course, living with  8 other girls means there really are no secrets in the house and everyone was soon giving me advice.
 
The night of our coffee date, it took me just under 5 hours to choose an outfit that satisfied all of the members.
 
"No sundresses, that would definitely be too girly" Hyoyeon had stated.
 
"How about some chic sunglasses though? You would look more mature" Yoona pointed out.
 
"Seohyun, don't move your head! I have to get your eye shadow just right," Tiffany unnie said.
 
"Hey look what I found! Seohyun-ah, you can borrow this shirt - it's too small on me but it would fit you just right." Yuri unnie proudly brought me a tight, white shirt with large sleeves.
 
"She can pair it with these shorts I just bought!" Sunny added.
 
"Wouldn't those be too short on her though?" Sooyoung said.

"Ya! What are trying to say?"

"That maybe you're, oh I don't know, a shorty?" Sooyoung taunted.

Enraged, Sunny unnie went for a swift kick to Sooyoung unnie's shin, but the tall girl was too fast and danced away. 
 
"Hey, watch it you two, you almost knocked over the nail polish!" Jessica was 'finishing me off' with a manicure.
 
"Seo, you cannot stay out too late though!" Taeyeon reminded me.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Standing before him now, I briefly revisit all of these moments with my unnies as they tried to help me prepare to 'become a woman', which is a concept they never really explained...

But now was not the time to hesitate -

"You only get one chance, Joohyun!" I think to myself.

I quirk an eyebrow and tilt my head a little. 

"Oppa, you are dripping all over the place."

Taking a napkin from my purse, I step up and gently began dabbing at his face.

As I lean forward, our faces inch closer and closer and neither of us blink. Although I try to focus on the beads of water, he stares straight at me, as if trying to guess what I would do next.

He finally responds, saying "It's hot in here."

"I'll make it more comfortable for you then." I whisper. "Close your eyes."

He hesitates, surprised by my request, but trustingly closes them for me.

Standing on the tips of my toes (thank goodness for ballet lessons,  when did this boy get so tall?), I begin to softly blow the water away, creating a cool stream of wind with my breath.

His eyelids twitch a little, and he smiles but keeps them closed. 

"That tickles."

"Should I stop?" 

"No, it feels good."

After a minute, I say "All done."

He suddenly opens his eyes before I have a chance to move away.

I pause as another staring contest begins.

Feeling dizzy from the close contact with him, I am about to take a step back, but he notices me moving away and grabs my shoulders to make me stay.

"Joohyun-ah..." he seems to want to say something more, but stops himself.

Instead he angles his head down and kisses my cheek. 

"Thank you" he murmurs, his breath now fanning across my face.

I just nod, dazzed.

"Here, leave the water with me and I'll make sure everyone gets it. They'll be back soon." he says.

As he steps back, I seem to regain my voice.

"Hm, should I trust you with them oppa? What if you decide to take another impromptu shower here?"

He smirks. "How about this - I promise to only 'shower' when you are around."

I gulp at the image that pops into my head. Haltingly, I manage to reply "Ah.. Ok, it's a deal then. Actually, I should get going."

"Do you have a schedule?"

"I have to go get ready for tonight's event for Jaewon oppa, today's the anniversary of his 10th year working with SM."

Changmin frowns a little.

"Jaewon hyung? How come we weren't invited?"

"Oh, perhaps they thought you guys would be too busy?"

He shakes his head thoughtfully then looks up and grins, "Ah don't worry about it. Thanks again for the water, Joohyun."

"Sure Oppa. I'll see you later."  I give a ltitle wave and take my leave.

As I walk away, I could swear I heard him say under his breath, "Is Jaewon hyung that important to you, Joohyun-ah?"

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: In case anyone is wondering, Jaewon is the SM choreographer that Seohyun mentions on Joo Byung Jin’s Talk Show. We'll see what happens when we meet him in the next chapter ^^