Confrontation

You're My Thief (Kaisoo ver)

 

Kyungsoo lies lifelessly on the coach, staring blankly at the ceiling. The sound of commercial break at the television fills the room. Minutes ago, the news about the mysterious thief appeared. It said, once again, the mysterious thief was successfully attracting the media attention after with his action, and –once again- he could get what he wanted.

Knowing his boyfriend is safe now, Kyungsoo can’t help but releasing a breath of relief. After being so stressful all day long, finally he could sleep in peace because no bad things happened to Jongin. Well, to be honest, Kyungsoo still has worries in his mind, but he tries to calm down because soon Jongin will definitely come to his balcony and Kyungsoo can ask him everything that has been annoying his mind since this afternoon.

Lazily, Kyungsoo gets up and walks to the kitchen. He needs a glass of water to help him quells his emotion and clears his mind before he meets Jongin. He glances briefly at the television screen that is still broadcasting the news about the situation around the museum after the thief’s action. There are some officers who still guarding around, finishing their duty to track the thief. Suddenly, Kyungsoo remembers his brother. Somehow, the uneasy feeling returns again once he recalling the event between Kris and Jongin at the school earlier.

‘What is Kris hyung doing right now? Why do I feel so anxious, like there's a great storm will come soon,’ Kyungsoo sighs heavily. He tries to kisk out his negative thinking by drinking a glass of water again.

Once he calms down, he walks to his room to wait for Jongin there. Kris will definitely come back home late again like those previous nights when the mysterious thief in action. There are many things that must be dealt by his brother at the office.

Kyungsoo opens the balcony window, sighing softly when the cold air caresses his face. He walks slowly, leaning on the balcony railing and looking up at the dark sky. He feels so impatient for waiting Jongin’s arrival. Kyungsoo really wants to hear his lover’s explanation about his action tonight. He really wants to know why Jongin did the action after what he said that night.

Taking a deep breath, Kyungsoo then averts his gaze into the street below. He blinks in surprised when seeing his brother’s figure just got out from his car. Kyungsoo didn’t expect his brother early arrival, and suddenly he feels so afraid if Jongin comes when Kris is at home. So, trying to prevent the suspicion, Kyungsoo quickly gets back to his room, locking the glass door and then sits on the bed.

‘What happen with Kris hyung? Why does he go home earlier than usual?’ Kyungsoo thinks hard. 

Suddenly a loud bang from the slammed door makes Kyungsoo jolts in surprised. He immediately comes out of his room just to see Kris already entered their apartment room and is looking at him with full of anger.

“Where’s that thief Kyungie? Did he come here again?” suddenly Kris shouts loudly, making Kyungsoo looks back at his brother with confused gaze. 

“What do you mean hyung?”

“I said, where is Kim Jongin? Where is that bastard thief?  Do you hide him in your room again?”

Kyungsoo looks surprised when he hears Kris’s question. He wonders how Kris knows about Jongin, and how he also knows that Jongin is the mysterious thief? His mind is blank at once and he has no idea to answer his brother.

“I.. I don’t understand what are you saying hyung..” Kyungsoo is still staring at Kris with confused gaze.

Without saying anything, Kris runs to Kyungsoo’s room followed by the owner behind. He checks every corner of the room and finds no one there. Kris then walks to the balcony and looking around there, but there’s no sign of the mysterious thief. Then he turns around to look at Kyungsoo and staring at him with strange gaze.

“Why do you lie to me Kyungie? Why do you do that to me, your only brother?” Kris’s voice sounds sad yet sharp. Kyungsoo can only stay silence and stunned. Many things flash in his mind when Kris moves toward Kyungsoo and holds his brother’s shoulders. Looking directly at Kyungsoo’s black orbs.

“Since when you are in a relationship with Kim Jongin? Do you know that he is the mysterious thief who I chase everyday?” Kris asks softly. He wants to hear an honest answer from Kyungsoo’s lips.

“I.. I.. I don’t know what you mean hyung..” Kyungsoo answers haltingly. He turns away his gaze from Kris’s eyes. He doesn’t dare to look at his brother’s orbs because he’s so afraid that Kris can read his mind and knows his lie.

“Don’t lie to me Kyungie! I know everything. It’s not only one time I caught a stranger barged into your room, and I always watched you and Kim Jongin from afar everytime I saw you two walked in the street together. I even came to your school this afternoon just to find out about him.” Kris stops talking and looks into Kyungsoo’s eyes. There’s a glint of disappointment in his black orbs. “You don’t need to lie anymore Kyungie because tonight, I finally saw the real face behind the mask of the mysterious thief!”

Gritting his teeth, Kris takes out a mask from his suit and throws it onto Kyungsoo’s bed. in his place, Kyungsoo can only look at that mask in frantic and disbelief. His face turns pale as the blood stops running for a while, and he can feel his heart is about to jump out from his ribcages because he knows that now Kris knows who Jongin is.

“Say Kyungsoo, do you still try to deny me? Why don’t you just give up and be honest to me?” Kris looks so disappointed. He puts his palms on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, shaking the younger gently to encourage him for telling the truth.

“I’m so sorry hyung..” comes a soft answer from Kyungsoo’s lips. Kris sees his brother’s eyes start to get teary and his voice is shaky. “I don’t mean to lie to you hyung. I just, I just can’t say the truth. I just can’t stop everything from happening to me..”

“Do you know if Kim Jongin is a thief?”

“Yeah, I know hyung. I know since the first time we moved to this city, when you said he was gone around our apartment because he came to my room that night. I knew before nobody knows..” whispering softly, Kyungsoo looks down at his fingers that tug the hem of his pajama. He can’t lie anymore to his brother. It’s driving him crazy.

“But, if you know about that, why do you still continue all of these? Do you know about the consequences Kyungie?”

“I know hyung! I understand with the consequences! But I can’t deny my feelings. I love him hyung. I love him whoever he is, whether he is a thief or the most dangerous people in this world. I don’t care hyung.” Kyungsoo stares at Kris eyes seriously. There’s no doubt when he said that.

Seeing his brother’s seriousness, Kris takes a deep breath and releasing his grip on Kyungsoo’s shoulders. Stepping back weakly, he sits on the bed, face-palming himself. His mind is ed up. He can't let these bad things become protracted anymore. He should soon separate Kyungsoo from Kim Jongin.

“Leave him Kyungie! I’ll never bless your relationship with a thief like him!”

“Wait, you can’t say that easily hyung! Why I can’t be with him?” Kyungsoo looks so surprise. He looks at Kris in disbelief.

“Are you crazy? I know Kai is attractive, but he is a thief. He is the most wanted criminal, and he is your brother’s enemy. How can I let my brother falls for a guy like that? Open your eyes Kyungie!”

“But, he promised me that he will stop to be a thief if you bless our relationship hyung!”

Kris laughs sarcastically and stares at Kyungsoo with incredulous gaze. “How could you believe him that easily? Because Kyungie, in fact, he just stole and fled away from me. See the truth Kyungie, that's just the sweet talks, one of his seduction tricks. If he is serious with you, he won't steal anymore since you guys met!”

Kyungsoo turns speechless. He thinks about the truth in Kris’s word. To be honest, he’s so disappointed when remembering the fact that Jongin planned tonight’s action without telling him first. Somehow, it makes his heart aches a little, but he tries to see everything from different angle.

“I think he has his own reasons hyung..” Kyungsoo says softly, still wanting to believe his boyfriend.

“It looks like you are already blind Kyungie! And maybe I should do a forced way to separate both of you,” Kyungsoo looks at Kris with shock. He sees Kris is squeezing Jongin’s mask with full of anger. “Soon, I will arrest him and I’ll kick him into the jail. I’ll never let you taken by that bastard thief Kyungie, never!” Kris sends death glare at Kyungsoo, then he gets out of the room.

Kyungsoo can only keep silent. His face is so tensed and confused. He doesn’t know what he must do. He just can thinks, why does everything go to the unexpected direction? How can Jongin did such a fool things, letting his identity uncovered in front of his brother? feeling so frustrated, Kyungsoo then walks to the balcony. He knows, Jongin won’t come there tonight. And he also doesn’t want his boyfriend comes at this time, because he is still afraid with Kris.

Kyungsoo looks at the night sky and takes a deep breath heavily. Tomorrow he has to meet Jongin and asks some question. There is so much to talk about between them and there are many things to be prepared by Jongin to anticipate Kris’s threat.

 

***

 

“How could you do a very stupid thing like that Kai ?!” Kyungsoo shouts at Kai who is staring at him with plain expression. They were pitted against the mouth since a few minutes ago.

Since the bell rang, Kyungsoo left his class in hurry to find Jongin. He could no longer self-restraining to obtain an explanation on the incident last night. And here they are now, standing face to face to each other on school’s roof. Kyungsoo crosses his arms in front of his chest and looks at Jongin in anger.

“How could you let your real face being seen by Kris hyung? Don’t you know, he came to my room and asked me everything about you! He won’t let you go away again Kai. And how dare you to still go to school after that incident?” Kyungsoo bombards Jongin with questions that have been entrenched in his mind.

Jongin just takes a breath slowly and looks at his lover. “I just think, maybe you need to meet me Kyungie, so I come to school this morning. And about the last night incident, I just want to make your brother knows.”

Kyungsoo widens his eyes in disbelief. “You said, you want to make Kris hyung knows about your real identity? Are you crazy?? How can you think about that?”

“Kyungie, please calm down. I think sooner or later everything will be revealed and I just can't hide away forever from your brother. I don’t want to lie to you again and again. Please understand Kyungie, this is my decision,” Jongin approaches Kyungsoo and holds his shoulders gently.

“Why don’t you tell me before Jongin?  Does Chanyeol know about this?”

Kai turns speechless. He remembers his fight with Chanyeol last night.

 

 -Back to the events of last night-

After a successful escape from Kris, Jongin ran as fast as lightning towards Chanyeol who had been waiting for him. When he entered the car, Chanyeol looked so surprised because Jongin’s came back without a mask. But there's no time to ask and to explain a lot of things because their priority was getting away from there as soon as possible.

But Chanyeol couldn't restrain his anger any longer when knowing everything that happened. So he demanded Jongin to tell everything that related to his meeting with Kris since the first time till now, and that’s why he let his identity uncovered that night.

“I told you before, that your relationship with Kyungsoo would only lead us into a difficult situation. And so far I dwelled not because I agreed, but I just didn’t want to ruin our friendship.  Do you ever realized, we and he live in the different worlds, like two sides of coin. We are thieves and he is a young brother of an officer who always tries to catch you. Do you ever think about the consequences?” Chanyeol stared at Kai seriously, but the latter just shook his head weakly.

“I know Channie,I’m not blind. But finally I find what I really want, what I want to preserve. I'm tired of hoping my parents will realize and see me here. I’m tired to keep hoping in this game Chan.”

“You mean, you want to stop it?”

Kai looked into Chanyeol’s black orbs and nodded slowly. “Yes Chan, I want to stop it as soon as I can.”

Chanyeol casted a glance in disbelief and then smiled bitterly. “So, why don’t you just tell me before Kai? Do you think I will restrain you if you say that you want to stop it all?’ sighing softly, Chanyeol then leaned on his chair and smiled at his friend. “No Jongin, we started it together, so we should stop together. And there are still many ways to disappear instead by endangering yourself!”

Chuckling softly, Jongin reached out his hand to pat Chanyeol’s upper arm. “I’m so sorry Chan,I couldn’t think other way beside gave an open challenge to Kris. Lately he often caught me with Kyungsoo, and many times he almost caught me when I barged into Kyungsoo’s room at night. Moreover, I’m so sure that he won’t catch me directly without strong evidence, right?”

“Then, what will you do after this?”

“I’ll just wait Chan. I will wait for Kris’s challenge. I'm sure that he won't just keep calming and take no action,” Chanyeol stared at him in confusion, but Jongin simply smiled to him. “I will see how my destiny later. Remember, the thief can stop their action only if they are dead or captured. So just let’s see Chan.”

 

 

“Kai? Did Chanyeol know?”  Kyungsoo’s voice snaps Jongin backs to reality.

“Ah yeah, he know about that Kyungie. Don’t worry,” caressing his lover’s hair, Jongin smiles softly at Kyungsoo.

“So, why don’t you tell me before? Do you think that I’m not important enough to be asked for an opinion?”

Jongin hates the way Kyungsoo’s face turns sad when he asked that. Shaking his head slowly, Jongin then pulls Kyungsoo into his arms. “No Kyungie, that’s not like that. I just don't want you to worry me. I promise everything will be okay.” Kissing Kyungsoo’s forehead, Jongin then looks at the younger’s eyes to ask his approval.

In his place, Kyungsoo just looks back at him with doubt in his eyes. But after minute, he finally nods slowly. Kyungsoo knows there is nothing else he can do except supports Jongin's decision.

“Thank you baby,” Jongin smiles and caresses Kyungsoo’s cheek gently. He holds Kyungsoo’s chin then leaning down to kiss the plump soft lips. Actually, Jongin feels so unsure with his decision, but he has to deal with it. But all he can do is only hoping and praying that his fate will take them toward the happy ending.

 

***

 

Kyungsoo looks at Kris who is biting his foods while reading the newspaper. Three days have passed since their altercation that night, and Kris’s attitude is still so cold towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo understands, and he always tries to ignore that. Only one thing that still annoys his mind constantly, and that is about what his brother’s plan is because lately Kris has been so busy at work and always comes home late.

Kyungsoo is still paying attention to Kris with myriads of questions in his mind. But he immediately averts his gaze when Kris folds the newspaper and sips his coffee. He looks at Kyungsoo briefly then stands up from the chair and walks toward the dishwasher to clean up his plates.

In his place, Kyungsoo pretends to watch television seriously and changes the channel again and again just to divert Kris’s attention. But his hands suddenly stop when he sees the news about the infamous ancient ring that was found some days ago, and finally it will be kept in Seoul Central Museum.

“Ahh, finally it comes,” Kris’s hums loud enough from the kitchen, making Kyungsoo turns his eyes at him and sees Kris is walking toward him. “I'm sure, sooner or later that thief will appear again to steal the ancient ring,” Kris stands beside Kyungsoo while looking at television screen with calming smile. 

“What do you mean hyung?”

Snickering softly, Kris looks into Kyungsoo’s eyes and smirks. “You think, for what the precious object which never being shown in the public before, now being put in the central museum?” Kris smirks to Kyungsoo.

“What are you planning hyung?”

“You don’t need to know Kyungie. Like I said, I’ll never let Jongin takes you from me, never!” Kris counters Kyungsoo’s gaze seriously. And Kyungsoo knows, his brother is not joking now and Kai is in danger.

 

-tbc-