Chapter 6

Tales of Fake Love
~Woohyun's POV~

I woke up and the image of Zoe's red face as she hid behind her hands in embarrassment on the set of We Got Married was all I could think about. Her cute dimples. Her lovely smile. Her laugh. HER LAUGH. I smiled just thinking about it. Her laugh was loud and obnoxious and sounded like she was screaming sometimes, but I love it. It fits her personality so well. 

      I chuckled. I wasn't sure if the fact that her laugh suited her personality sounded like a compliment or not. Well, it doesn't matter because I meant it as a compliment. 
      I got up from my bed and began cleaning the kitchen as I was whistling "Cover Girl", one of our own songs. 
"Hyung, you're up earlier than normal," said Sungyeol as he rubbed his eyes. He obviously had just woken up because his hair was sticking straight up on the left side. I smiled and nodded. Sungyeol's eyes grew twice their size when he realized how clean the kitchen looked compared to before. "The kitchen is clean! Hyung, did you do this?!" 
"Yeah, I woke up early and started cleaning," I said.
"Why? Are you really Woohyun hyung?" He asked skeptically as he walked over to me and poked my cheek. I laughed. "Laughing. Her laughter," I thought as the image of her laughing face was etched into my mind.
"Of course I am, idiot. I was cleaning in case Zoe noona came over." Sungyeol smirked mischievously.
"Hyung, you've got it bad?" 
"Got what bad?"
"You're in love~" he teased. I turned my back to him and resumed cleaning. I'm not sure if I would say that I love Zoe. It's only been three years that I've had a crush on her. Do people consider crushes that last that long to be love? 
"Come in here and help me clean," I said in an attempt to change the subject. Sungyeol obviously noticed because he didn't let it go.
"Oh! You're not denying it so it must be true," he said as he skipped over to me and gave me a hug. "Congratulations, hyung! So when are you going to tell her?" He looked at me like he expected me to plan to tell Zoe my feelings. HA!
"I'm not going to tell her. She already has someone that she likes," I said as I wiggled myself free from Sungyeol's hug. I really didn't want a hug from someone right now, especially not a pity hug.
"Hmmm... But feelings change. You never know," he said as he picked up a towel and started wiping off the counters. I stopped cleaning dishes and looked up at him in disbelief. 
"LIKE THIS FETUS KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT LOVE!" I thought, but I decided to keep my mouth shut. Sungyeol can be kind of sensitive. Well, let's face it. I'm sensitive too when it comes to feelings and Zoe. 
 
~Zoe's POV~ 
I woke up dreading the oncoming day. I didn't want to look at the tabloids talking about Woohyun and I. I can't wait for the day when I can wake up and not worry about boys. 
I wiggled out of bed and got ready for the day. While I was applying makeup, my phone started ringing. 
"Hello?" I said, mentally slapping myself for not checking the caller ID before picking up. "Who is this?"
"Zoe? It's your manager. I called to tell you to be ready in an hour. You're going on a surprise date, visiting Woohyun while he's at dance practice. Wear something cute. No sweatpants allowed. This is a date. Also, the makeup artist can't make it today, so you'll have to apply makeup yourself. I told her not to worry about it because you can do your own makeup well enough. Can you manage?"
"Yes, I can. Is there going to be a car picking me up or am I driving over there?" 
"This is for We Got Married. Because there will be so many camera men, there's going to be a van to pick you up. They will be at your dorm in an hour. Make sure you're ready. I have to go now. There's a meeting." 
"Yes. I'm hanging up," I said and then hung up the phone. I went back to applying makeup, but my phone soon interrupted me. I picked it up again, assuming Manager Unnie forgot to tell me something.
"Hello? Manager Unnie?" I said. The other person paused before speaking. "Hello?" I asked a little frustrated. "I'm busy and this person is wasting my time by not speaking," I thought. I was about to hang up, but then I heard his voice.
"Zoe," said Jaejoong. He sounded tired and a little annoyed. I froze, remembering that I forgot to call him back this morning. "Did you get my text?" 
"Yeah," I said a little hesitantly. "I'm sorry I didn't call you right away, oppa. I was really exhausted when I got it, so I fell asleep. Then I forgot this morning after I woke up. I'm sorry." I heard a sigh of relief escape from Jaejoong's lips.
"So you're not ignoring me because you're infatuated with your new husband who almost kissed you yesterday?" I blushed profusely.
"Oppa, don't remind me of that. I'm extremely grateful to Nata for stepping in because I didn't know how to say no after I was daydreaming about another man on TV. And there's no way that I would ignore you because of him. Don't worry about him," I said as I rubbed my temples to try to relieve the headache that yesterday's events gave me when I recall them.
"Oh now that you mention it, who was that man that you were daydreaming about? I'm curious," he said rather teasingly. My eyes widened. 
"HE KNOWS. MY LIFE IS OVER," I thought. "Oppa, I think that you were just seeing things. There's no way that I was daydreaming about a guy. Come on, you should know me! I don't do girly things like that," I said that lie a little too fast. It was probably really obvious that I was lying. Jaejoong chuckled and said, "Alright, my dongsang. Lying to oppa is unforgivable unless you seek repentance by letting me buy you food." 
"Oppa, that's not a punishment."
"I never said that it had to be a punishment. Let oppa buy you food if he wants to!" He said cutely. I giggled.
"Alright, you can buy me food if you want," I said.
"Good! I'll pick you up for dinner tonight then!" I frowned.
"Oppa, I'm sorry, but I have a date today with Woohyun." Jaejoong was silent. "Oppa, I'm sorry. You can still buy me food if you want, but it can't be today." 
"Forget it. I have to go," he said and then hung up.
"What the heck? Did he just- HE JUST HUNG UP ON ME! THAT JERK! THIS IS WHY I'M SO DONE WITH BOYS!" I exclaimed a little too loud. I obviously disturbed Nata because I could hear her yelling at me from her room to shut up. 
I finished applying makeup and picked a pair of red jeans with a black tank top and a black vest and a pair of white high top converse shoes. I looked at my favorite pocket watch from the mystery ajusshi that was laying on my dresser. I decided to wear it for luck. I decided to go for an edgy look today because I wanted to show everyone today that even though I am on this show, I am not an easy girl who is so easily swayed by emotions.
      A little while later my ride showed up in front of the dorm. I yelled goodbye to the members from the door, and I got a "REMEMBER TO BE CUTE AND PRETEND TO LIKE HIM," from Minah. Nata also yelled from her room, "BUT IF HE TRIES TO TOUCH YOU AGAIN, PUNCH HIM!" I laughed and went outside to the van. Before I entered the van, I sent a quick text to Woohyun.
"What're you doing, Woohyun?"
"Hopefully he will answer while I'm sitting in front of the cameras," I thought. I want it to look like we have a good relationship now. I entered the van and greeted the camera men. There were at least five cameras pointed in my direction the moment that I opened the van door. It was awkward because no one was talking to me, they just kept the cameras pointed at my face. Thankfully, my phone vibrated, meaning that Woohyun finally replied to my text. I checked to see what he said, and I quickly turned off the screen.
"Since when do you text me? Are just texting me because you're bored?" 
"SINCE WHEN WAS MY DONGSANG SO RUDE?!? JUST YOU WAIT, WOOHYUN! I WILL GET MY REVENGE," I thought. I was seething in anger as I plotted my revenge, but I hid it under my smile.
 
~Woohyun's POV~ 
Infinite was practicing for our comeback in the practice room. We had a five minute break, so I decided to check my phone. I had a message from Zoe! My heart skipped a beat... Or three. Why was she texting me? After I read her text I felt my ears go red. The fact that a text from her had this effect on me was frustrating. But I was so happy that she texted me! 
"Was she thinking about me? Well obviously or else she wouldn't be texting me? Why was she thinking about me though? Did something remind her of me? I wonder what it was?" My mind kept running a mile a minute as thoughts as to why she was texting me poured into my mind. 
"Hey, lover boy," said Dongwoo over my shoulder. I jumped.
"WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!" Dongwoo started laughing so hard that he fell on the floor.
"We were calling your name. Did you not hear us?" L said. 
"No," I replied still a bit flustered. 
"Well, break time is over. Finish texting your wife quickly and come back to practice," he said, chuckling at my red ears. 
I didn't know what to say, so I texted something really fast without thinking and went back to practice.
We were practicing our dance moves for our new song, Man In Love, when the doors to our practice room opened. A bunch of camera men came in and focused on me while a couple camera men walked in backwards, pointing at the person walking in, Lee Zoe. I knew that I was smiling like an idiot because Sungyeol was elbowing me as she walked in the room. I couldn't help it. She is wearing my pocket watch. She didn't lose it! Even if it is just a reality TV show, my wife came to visit me, and I felt like the luckiest man alive. I stood there, not knowing if I should hug her or not or if I should say something or not. Obviously Sunggyu hyung noticed the dilemma that I was thinking through, and he did what any good wing man would do - push me right into the girl so I'm forced to hug her. I hugged her for a second too long apparently because Zoe started pulling away. I let go of her and had so many questions I wanted to ask her.
"Keep it cool, Woohyun. You're not actually dating. There's cameras here so she didn't come here out of her own free will. She was put up to it. This is only for the show," I had to remind myself constantly. 
"What're you doing here?" I finally asked.
She giggled. "I just came to watch you guys practice. I brought chicken too for when you guys are done," she said.
"Well if you came to see good dancing, Mrs. Dancing Machine, then you came to the right place," said Hoya as he slung an arm around my shoulders.
"Noona, come sit over here," said Sungjong as he patted a seat against the back wall that faced the mirrors. 
"Make sure you watch hyung closely and criticize everything he does wrong," said SungYeol. Zoe laughed and walked over to the chair. 
"Hyung, aren't you staring a little too much?" asked Hoya. I snapped back to reality and got in position for us to practice the moves again. The rest of the members followed suit, and soon we were dancing in sync with the music. I looked over at Zoe through the mirror, and she had the biggest smile on her face. Anytime we did a complex move, she would mouth "Woah," and smile even more. I refocused my energy on the dance so that I wouldn't screw up in front of her. When we preformed the finishing move and the last note of the song played, Zoe stood up from her chair and clapped.
"WAH~! THAT WAS SO COOL!" She exclaimed. 
"How did Woohyun do?" asked Sunggyu. I nervously looked over at Zoe, but she smiled and gave me two thumbs up.
"He did really well! You guys were so cool!" I exhaled a sigh of relief. We haven't been on the best terms since we met, but it seems like she's warming up to me. I smiled over at her, and she smiled back. 
      For the next hour we practiced the dance with short bathroom breaks every once in a while. But my break time was mainly spent talking with Zoe. It was mainly about dancing, but at least it was something to talk about. 
     "Let's take a break to eat lunch," said Sunggyu after we finished practicing the dance again for what seemed the thousandth time. Zoe had begun to grab the boxes of chicken and rice that she had brought with her and set them out on the floor. The other members didn't seem to notice, but I saw her give a box of chicken to the camera men.
"Please eat. It seems like it's going to be a long day, and you guys need to keep your strength up too," said Zoe. The camera men gratefully accepted. I walked up behind Zoe and gave her a back hug. She jumped in surprise, but not enough to jump out of my arms.
"Aigooo. My baby is being nice and sharing with the camera men. My wife is so nice~" I said, showing a bit of my aegyo. 
She didn't say anything. She just walked right out of my arms and sat down with the other members. "Maybe I was assuming too much," I thought. "I assumed she had warned up to me and that it was automatically okay for me to hug her like that. But it was also for WGM, so it should be okay." I walked over and sat down with the rest of the members and Zoe. 
      "Thanks for the chicken, Zoe noona," said Dongwoo as he was digging into a piece of chicken.
"No problem! You guys work so hard that you need to eat well to keep your strength up," she said.
"By the way, Zoe. How old are you?" Asked Sunggyu.
"I was born in '87."
"So you're older than me?! Dang it! I wanted you to call me 'Oppa,'" whined Sunggyu.
"How do you think I feel?" I pouted.
"Aigoo," cooed Zoe as she pinched my cheek. "Why is my husband so cute when he's upset?" I swatted her hand away because she was seriously hurting my cheek. 
"Why? Are you jealous?" I asked. This time she pouted. 
"Yes. I'm supposed to be the cute one. So stop being so cute." I laughed at her "cute pout". She looked more like she had to take a crap. 
"Yah, you're aegyo is awful!" I exclaimed.
"You haven't even seen my aegyo yet~" she sang. 
"Aigooo. You guys fight like a couple. Are you sure that you're not really dating?" Asked Sungjong. I flicked his forehead. 
"Eat your chicken," I said.
"Speaking of things that we haven't seen," said Hoya after clearing his throat. "We haven't seen Mrs. Dancing Machine's skills yet." Zoe's face lit up.
"What kind of dance do you want to see? A cute dance or a boy group's dance?" 
"If it's not a dance by Infinite, I don't want to see you do another boy group's dance," I said a little too defensively than I meant to. 
"Yah. I can't show off all of my skills by doing a cute dance," said Zoe.
"I want to see her skills. Do a boy group's dance then for his sake do a cute dance," said Hoya. Zoe nodded.
"Can you hold onto this for me, please?" asked Zoe as she handed me the pocket watch necklace from around her neck. I took it and put it around my neck. Zoe pulled out from her bag her IPod and plugged it into the sound system. She then grabbed a SnapBack and put it on her head.
"I don't like dancing without a hat," she said as she took off her leather vest and traded it for a zip up hoodie. She zipped up the hoodie and put the hood on over her SnapBack. 
"Can someone press play please? And the song that I'll dance to next is right after this. So please don't stop the music," she said. One of the camera men pressed play for her and she thanked him. 
I shouldn't be too surprised that I heard EXO, who is from the same company as JOY. SM sure does like their acronyms. But once the music started, Zoe flawlessly danced to the song, not missing a single beat. She was amazing! She made the dance look easy, and I know that it's not! She finished the dance flawlessly, and all of us clapped for her. But once the next song started, all of Infinite started freaking out. 
"OH! THAT'S OUR SONG!" yelled Dongwoo.
"HYUNG, ZOE IS FOLLOWING YOUR PART~" teased Sungyeol.
I was fanboying the entire time because she was doing my part of the dance, and she was so good! She didn't mess up! Not even once! Not even when she switched over from following me to following Hoya when he did his dance solo and then switched back to following me! She was amazing! I thought that I was swooning before when I saw her wearing my necklace, but now I don't know what to say. She's just amazing. 
She finished effortlessly, and everyone gave her a standing ovation. 
"MY BABY IS SO GOOD! WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO DANCE LIKE THAT?!" I squealed as I ran over to hug her. Zoe was knocked off balance but regained her footing after being attacked with hugs by me. 
"Kai gave me pointers on 'Growl', and I just followed the orange hoodie in your practice video," she replied as she tried wiggling out of my embrace. I finally let her go, but I still wanted to hug her. I was so proud of her and thankful that she would learn our dance! The rest of Infinite came and swarmed her with compliments and some hugs - none as long or meaningful as mine. 
"Hyung, is it okay if I head out of practice a little early so I can take Zoe out?" I asked Sunggyu. Sunggyu nodded, and I quickly gathered my stuff together. I had to break through the circle of guys to convey a message to Zoe, but I finally broke through.
"I'll be right back. I'm going to change," I whispered in Zoe's ear before heading to the changing room.
 
~Zoe's POV~
The other members of Infinite were still asking me questions about dancing until Woohyun came back.
"Alright guys, I'm taking my wife with me. Back it up," said Woohyun. I chuckled as the boys broke the circle for Woohyun to get closer to me and they took a few steps back.
"Wow," I said. "They're so obedient." 
"Nobody wants to mess with him when it comes to you," said L. I giggled. "That's sweet," I thought.
"This," said Woohyun as he took my pocket watch necklace off his neck and put it on mine, "belongs to you." 
"Thanks. Are you ready to go?" 
He nodded and started to lead me out of the practice room, but Sunjung stopped us.
"Hyung, isn't that the same as your pocket watch necklace that you wore throughout your entire trainee years and into the first few years after our debut?" 
"You wouldn't go anywhere without your lucky pocket watch, and then suddenly you lost it," said Hoya. Zoe's eyes widened.
"When did you lose your necklace?" she asked.
"I- I don't remember," I lied. 
"About three years ago," said Sunggyu. Zoe turned to face me and looked me in the eyes as if she could confirm the truth by making eye contact.
"Woohyun, were you the ajusshi that gave me this necklace?" 
"Does it matter?"
"Yes, it does. I never properly got to thank him for cheering me up," she said.
"If you met the bus ajusshi, what would you do?" I asked. She smiled and tears began to form in her eyes.
"I would hug him and thank him for being there for me while I was discouraged during the beginning years of my career. I would thank him for being the one that I could think of every time I felt like giving up but didn't because I knew that I had someone cheering for me from the sidelines. I would thank him for encouraging me to be open with my members because it brought us closer as a group. I would thank him for being someone that you don't meet on an every day basis. So thank you Nam Woohyun," I said and then kissed his cheek. Tears were threatening to fall so I wanted to leave so that they didn't catch me crying on camera.
"But I didn't say that I was that ajusshi," Woohyun called after me. I stopped and turned around. 
"Yes, you did. I never told you that I met him on the bus. But you called him the 'bus ajusshi'." The tears that threatened to fall early came rushing down my cheeks now.
"And I can't thank you enough. Because those twenty minutes encouraged me for years later and still encourage me today. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be a singer today." Woohyun walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him back and cried on his shoulder. I felt so bad for making his shirt wet like that. But I was so grateful to him that the words I said didn't do him justice. There was so much more I wanted to say, so much more I wanted to do, so much more I wanted to thank him for, but I didn't know how to express it in words. 
 
I finally found you, my mystery bus ajusshi.