Chapter 20

After All This Time

 

 

 

Yifan woke up in the middle of the night when he heard someone crying. Vaguely, he got up from the bed and walked out of the room. He followed his senses to where the sound is coming from. He stopped walking right in front of the Jaein’s door.

 

He blinked and leaned closer, to listen if the sound was actually coming from Jaein’s room.

 

“Jaein?” he called, knocking upon the door. He leaned again and he was right, the sound was coming from her room. “Jaein-ah…”

 

The cry got louder so he has no choice but to unlock the door. He flicked the lights on and saw Jaein curling on her bed, touching her cramping leg.

 

A hiss came out his lips and immediately went to her. He kneeled beside her on the bed and immediately massaged her leg.

 

“Yifan,” she whimpered.

 

“Don’t move, okay?” he insisted. Jaein nodded.

 

Yifan carefully massaged Jaein’s leg until the pain subsided. Jaein wiped her tears and hugged Yifan, making the boy startle.

 

“Thank you, Yifan. Thank you so much…” she cried.

 

Yifan sighed and nodded his head. He rubbed Jaein’s back for comfort. “It’s okay. I’ll be here to help you.” Jaein sniffled and inched back, wiping her tears.

 

“Are you okay now?” he asked calmly. Jaein shivered and shook her head. “What’s wrong?”

 

“I’m scared,” she said. “I dreamt something bad. I want my oppa to be here. I miss him.”

 

The boy can’t help but pity her. Jaein was used to sleep with her brother whenever she would get night cramps or nightmares. Of course, Yifan was intelligent to know what Jaein actually wanted to happen next.

 

“Do you want me to sleep with you?” he asked solemnly. Jaein sniffled and blinked at him.

 

With a sigh, Yifan got up to turn off the lights and flick on the lampshade. He lay down the bed, beside Jaein and pulled the blanket up to his chest. Jaein eyed him in surprise.

 

“You’re really sleeping here?” she asked. Yifan nodded and closed his eyes. Jaein bit her lip and slowly lay down the bed. Calmly breathing, she closed her eyes.

 

A few minutes later, Yifan blinked his eyes open. He can’t sleep. It really felt awkward sleeping with a girl, not that he was thinking of something else, but it’s quite uncomfortable sleeping with Jaein.

 

His friend, Jaein.

 

He felt a movement beside him and when he realized it, Jaein was hugging his arm, now sleeping peacefully. It was really chilly, but the warm feeling beside her, in fact is comforting.

 

Yifan smiled and with one last look at Jaein’s sleeping face, he drifted to sleep.

 

-

 

The elder Chung was up so early today. She just had finished preparing. Today, she will go to the fish port to buy the meats for her shop. It was only four in the morning and it’s still really dark outside. After securing that she already got what she needed to bring, she went to her daughter’s room to check on her.

 

Shinjae almost stumbled when she saw the scene. Yifan was in Jaein’s room, and they were sleeping together. The mother bit her lip and tiptoed towards them. She eyed them and restrained herself from laughing. Smiling so widely, she tucked the blanket comfortably and patted Yifan’s back before leaving the room. She closed the door behind her and inaudibly burst out laughing.

 

Aigoo, I never thought the progress could be this fast. Shinjae thought.

 

-

 

Jaein grimaced at the light landing her face, and groaned. She had a good sleep. She felt really warm.

 

She felt a hand on her waist. Aghast, she opened her eyes and Yifan’s face greeted her.

 

“Omo!” she immediately got up and crawled at the edge of the bed, clutching the blanket on her chest. How did this happen? She pondered and remembered the scene where she got a horrible nightmare and cramp attack.

 

Jaein gulped when Yifan winced and opened his eyes. He sat up and massaged his temples.

 

“Are you okay now?” he groaned.

 

“AHHHHHHHH!” she screamed and threw him the pillows. Yifan gasped and shielded himself with his arm. “ert!!!”

 

“Hey stop it! You want me to sleep here, right?” he mocked.

 

Her jaw dropped. “But why did you not left the room?”

 

“How can I leave if you’re hugging my arm the whole night?” Yifan’s eyebrows furrowed, and Jaein stiffened.

 

The girl composed herself and cleared awkwardly. “I am?”

 

Yifan eyed her for a moment. She can’t decipher whether his stare can be called as a glare. This is the first she heard Yifan raising his voice. And then he sarcastically smirked, shaking his head. Glaring, he got up from the bed and walked out of the room, leaving Jaein dumbfounded.

 

Is, is he angry? Jaein thought and face palmed herself.

 

Groaning, she threw the blanket aside and followed Yifan outside.

 

“Yifan, I-”, she stopped walking when she saw Yifan standing at the kitchen, staring at the dining table. Jaein frowned and followed his gaze.

 

The girl gasped. The table was neatly arranged, with scented candles lighting up, orange pulp juice filling the wine glass and a very classy breakfast. At first glance, you might think it’s a candlelight dinner.

 

Yifan snatched the small note taped on the flower vase.

 

‘How was the sleep? I made a special breakfast just for the two of you. Good morning and I love you~’

-  Eomma

 

Jaein shut her eyes close and sighed. Her mother can be unpredictable sometimes.

 

-

 

Your POV

 

Yifan and I ate the breakfast together in silence. Believe me, this is the most torturing meal I ever had in my life. We need to eat the meal together because we still have to attend school.

 

This is so awkward. Gosh, my mother is really incredible! Sarcastic. Yifan and I appeared like a young couple eating an extravagant meal, in the morning. Aigoo~

 

I chewed my food slowly, secretly glancing at him. He was just silent, and it’s making me nervous. Eotteokhae, why did I call him ert.

 

He finished the food first. He got up from the chair, blew off the candles and collected the dishes—dividing the chores for both of us.

 

I bit my lip and continued listening to his silence. The sound of him washing the dishes is what I can only hear. Although the weather is nice, this is not a good morning for me. I watched Yifan’s back leaving the area to his room. Eotteokhae?  I really made him angry.