Chapter 21

After All This Time

 

 

 

Your POV

 

Yifan entered the bus first and distanced himself away from me. Since he left my room this morning, he has been avoiding me. I think I’m the one at fault because I called him ert. I admit it, I’m wrong. I’m totally wrong. But my nervousness assails first and it’s scaring me to death.

 

I stood before the bus door and watched his back facing me. He was standing at the middle holding unto the handle bars since all seats are already occupied. The glare I got from him is really terrifying, like he would eat me alive.

 

I really wanted to confront him but it seems like he’s not going to talk to me. We got off the bus and walked the path to school. He was walking ahead of me, not even bothering to look back if I’m still following him or not.

 

I feel so ashamed. Yifan has been so good to me, and yet, I accused him something wrong. Of course I know he’s not like that. I know he’s just protecting me. I really didn’t mean it that way.

 

Unlike the days where I go to school with Yifan, when we got inside the school grounds, it was already crowded and students are already filling in the classrooms. Yifan first got inside the homeroom with me following a few meters behind him.

 

“Hi guys!” Misoo greeted but neither both of us made a reply. Yifan slumped down his chair and remained silent. Luhan eyed him confusedly.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” the baby face boy asked me.

 

I sat on my chair and shook my head at him. “Nothing’s wrong,” I assured.

 

The first teacher arrived, Mrs. Lee and made an announcement. “Today, the faculty will be having a seminar so classes in the afternoon will postpone on Monday. Good for you guys! A half-day class in Friday!” she exclaimed.

 

The class laughed at her remark but I don’t see myself laughing—guiltiness is overtaking my systems. I feel more nervous. Yifan is still not talking to me. I have to make a move sooner or later, or else, it’ll be the start of doomsday.

 

-

 

Your POV

 

The four of us ate lunch together because my two best friends insisted. My instincts are telling me that these friends of mine know there’s something wrong between me and Yifan. And it seems that they’re holding back their questions. Misoo said she was glad that there’s no classes in afternoon so might take the chance for her sewing tutorials. Luhan will have the soccer team’s evaluation today, so obviously, I and Yifan were the only ones who don’t have an appointment.

 

After our lunch, Luhan and Misoo left for their activities. Yifan and I left the homeroom together.

 

I caught up Yifan’s pace as he headed towards the gates.

 

“Yifan!” I called. I knew he heard me calling but he didn’t even bothered looking back. I was still running after him. Gosh, I look like a fan girl. What shall I do?

 

With such idea, I ducked down and pretended to be in pain, touching my healed injury. “Ouch~”

 

I noticed him turn around and ran his way to me. He kneeled down and laid a hand on my shoulder. “Yah, kwaenchanha?”

 

I sniffled, shaking my head. I looked up to him pouting, in the verge of crying, “I’m not okay because you’re avoiding me.”

 

He sighed and dropped his shoulders, tilting his head at me. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I called you that way. I’m really sorry,” my words were slurred and it really sounded I’m about to cry soon. My heart is really hurting this time.

 

My eyes were stingy and in the next moment, I just felt a tear streaming down my cheek. “Jaein-ah,

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry…”

 

Yifan pulled me to stand up, “Do you really think I’m that angry?”

 

I stopped crying and eyed him skeptically, “You’re not?”

 

He smirked and shook his head. “Okay, maybe I’m a little bit disappointed,” he shrugged, “but seriously, I’m not that kind of guy. I’m sorry too. I’m sorry I made you think I’m really angry.”

 

I gritted my teeth and lightly slapped his chest. “Yah, I really thought you’re not going to talk to me anymore,” he silently laughed, covering his smile with a fist. He shook his head and started walking away from me. “Yah, you’re avoiding me again!”

 

Pouting, I caught up with his pace. With a grin, I pulled his arm and dragged him to the other side. “Jaein?”

 

“Come with me,” I demanded.

 

-

 

The two youngsters walked for about fifteen minutes until they arrived the very secluded beach in Gyeongpo. Yifan cannot resist Jaein as the girl continued to drag him to the place. When he discovered that he made Jaein think he was so angry about the incident this morning, he felt guilty. He was thinking maybe he needs to make a proper apology. He made a fault too.

 

After passing through some thick bushes, Yifan can’t help himself from gaping at the very beautiful scenery. The beach, the beach is really clean and calm. The sand is so white and the water is so clear.

 

Jaein let go of him, leaving the boy standing, mesmerizing the view of the beach. “Jaein, this is so beautiful,” he muttered, a smile of admiration painted his face.

 

Jaein chuckled and placed her bag on the root of the tree, which shaded her from the rays of sunlight. Yifan walked closer to the shore and watch the big boats from afar sailing on the sea.

 

“Yah, Wu Yifan!” she called, tapping the space beside her on the log. The boy smiled and sat beside her.

 

“It’s really beautiful here,” he said, still admiring the place. Jaein looked at him and observed his expression. The look on his face is really genuine and she can really tell he’s very appreciative. Of course, this part of Gyeongpo is really beautiful. There were no traces of houses or buildings nearby, just a plain white beach with a very stunning view at the horizon.

 

Jaein followed his gaze and sighed. “Look, I’m sorry I called you ert. I really didn’t mean it that way. I was just surprised to see you sleeping with me when I woke up.”

 

He blinked and sighed. “I understand.”

 

The girl nodded and bit her lip. “A-are you always like that when you’re angry?”

 

Yifan cast her look. “Angry? No, I told you I’m not angry.”

 

“That you’re avoiding people?” she continued.

 

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I’m not, okay? Sleeping with you feels really… awkward,” and then he bit his lip.

 

Jaein choked a breath and blushed. Why is she blushing? As far as she can remember, she only slept with him. Just plainly sleeping, that’s all. “Right,”

 

Both of them went quite at the next moment, letting the awkward silence pass by. The weather is really nice but the thick air between the two of them seems like it’s getting hotter and hotter. Then Yifan opened his mouth to speak.

 

“Jaein, I’m sorry… too.” The girl blinked and looked at him, frowning. “I’m sorry for making you think I’m really angry at you. I’m sorry I made you feel bad.”

 

Jaein bit her lip and looked away. Why is Yifan saying sorry? And why does her cheeks getting warmer? With a small smile, she nodded her head.

 

The boy uneasily cleared his throat. “How did you know about this place anyway?” he asked, diverting the topic.

 

“Oh, uhm… we used to go fishing here during summer. Every year, we go camping here with Luhan and Misoo’s family.”

 

“Is that so?” Yifan asked, feasting his eyes at the view.

 

Jaein smiled and nodded. “When we were still younger; I, Luhan, Misoo and Jongshin oppa would go here and play around. Fly kites, play volleyball and watch the sunset together.” The memories of her childhood reminisced. It’s been a while since they had visited this place together.

 

Yifan visualized what she said and smiled. “That must be really fun.”

 

The girl let out a small laugh. Her heart felt lighter. She was happy she quickly settled things with Yifan. This is the first encounter she had where they almost got into a fight. Her fault gave her a lesson. And that is to never accuse a person unless you’ll hear their explanations first, or if you don’t have concrete evidence. She promised to herself to never do that again, especially to Yifan. The glare he gave her was literally scary.

 

She clapped her hands, suddenly remembering something. She ped her bag and pulled out the potato chips she brought from the canteen earlier. Yifan opened his bag too and pulled out his sketchbook.

 

“Oh, you’re gonna draw?” she asked, tearing the snack wrapper open watching his action.

 

Yifan nodded and took out a charcoal pencil from the pencil case. Then he flipped the book open for a new page. He narrowed his eyes at the small island from afar before starting to draw an outline.

 

Jaein leaned closer and watched him drawing, eating her chips at the same time. She offered the boy a piece, and Yifan opened his mouth for her to feed him.

 

“Aigoo…” she scoffed. Yifan smiled while chewing his food.

 

The girl admired the way he was sketching the image, how Yifan is accurately copying the contrast and texture from the real picture. Then she glanced at his face; the way Yifan’s eyebrows are twitching while working on his art, is full of concentration and compassionate.

 

The time passed by so quickly and in less than an hour, Yifan finished his art. Smiling, he tore off the page and gave his work to Jaein.

 

Jaein raised an eyebrow and looked at him skeptically. “You’re giving it to me?” she asked, pointing herself.

 

He nodded. “Come on, take it. A token of my apology.”

 

She scoffed but then gets the paper from him. She eyed the artwork for a moment and then smiled. “This is really beautiful, Yifan. Thank you.”

 

The boy smirked and nodded in welcome, fixing his things. “Welcome.”

 

Jaein frowned. “Well, this is making me guilty. You’re doing this because you’re sorry. I should do something too.”

 

Yifan looked at her and frowned. “You don’t have to do that. It’s okay, I’m good.”

 

“No, no. I should do something too.” Jaein insisted. Yifan sighed and snatched the bag of chips from her hand.

 

“Okay, so what are you going to do?” he asked after eating a chip.

 

“Hmm, how about a wish from me?”

 

Yifan lightly choked. “So, what are you now? A genie?”

 

Jaein laughed. “A genie who can command your wish in a possible way… like a dare? Okay, I’ll do it!” she clapped her hands. “So, what do you want me to do?”

 

Yifan chewed his food and thought of something. After a few moments, with Jaein waiting for him to say his wish, the boy shook his head. “I can’t think of anything.”

 

She hissed and crossed her arms. “Aigoo, you’re such a party pooper. Okay, you can say it to me anytime you want. As soon as you can think something, crazy…” Jaein shooed a hand. “I’m going to do it anyway. But, please not that hard, okay?”

 

Mr. City Boy smiled and nodded. “Okay, I’ll think.”