Chapter 16

After All This Time

 

 

 

Your POV

 

Misoo shove off my hands when I tried to cling on her arm.

 

“Don’t touch me. I hate you!” she squirmed, glaring at me like spoiled a kid. A sigh escaped my lips. I wasn’t expecting this scene to happen. Apparently, Misoo and Luhan were literally stunned to know that Yifan is actually living with me. It wasn’t really a big thing after all, but seeing Misoo’s attitude right now is making me feel guilty.

 

I should’ve told them at the first place.

 

Even though my foot hurts, I walked faster, catching up Misoo’s pace. I can see some students curiously looking at us from the school garden. “Oh come on, Mi! Why are you so angry?!”

 

She instantly stopped walking and turned around to face me. “I’m not angry! I feel betrayed that you didn’t tell me.”

 

“Tell you what? That Yifan is living with me? You didn’t ask.” I told her calmly, trying to convince her that it wasn’t really my intention.

 

Misoo closed her eyes and sighed. “Aigoo…” she opened her eyes and looked at me, “I was just disappointed. I am your best friend, and I should know what’s going on. Am I really your friend?”

 

I bit my lip in shame. I suddenly realized that I never breathed out any word about Yifan’s arrival—maybe because my first impression towards him is not that good. I walked closer to my friend, limping my way in the process, and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Look, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I haven’t told you. That guy, Yifan, is the son of my mother’s friend. He has to transfer here. The boy doesn’t like to be adopted by the government. And, when he started living with us, I find him intimidating.”

 

Misoo sniffled, acting like she was about to cry. And then she gave me a hug. “I understand, friend! I understand.”

 

I feel like laughing. Gosh, Misoo is overreacting. When she loosened the hug, she pointed me a dainty finger. “Mwo?

 

“But you awe me a lot of explanations.” She pulled my hand and dragged me towards the school gates.

 

“Mi! Where are you taking me?!”

 

“To the store. You owe me a ramen.” Misoo grinned. Aigoo, I feel defeated. I want to laugh at her sudden verdict, but I feel like crying. I should refrain myself from keeping such information. I should’ve told them that the handsome transferee is living with me.

 

But I had to admit though… the look on Misoo and Luhan’s face after they heard the truth… is an epic! Indeed, I really owe her, a lot of explanations later.

 

-

 

Yifan’s POV

 

“Really dude, hearing you living with Jaein surprised me a lot.” Luhan said. The two of us were now heading home. “So Auntie Shinjae is now your guardian. You’re using Jongshin hyung’s room, right?”

 

I smirked and nodded. “Yes, since her son is staying at Seoul.”

 

“Ah, that’s because Jongshin hyung is training to become a singer. I wonder when his debut is. He will be the first Gyeongpo resident to debut as an artist. The whole Gyeongpo will be very proud if he becomes successful.”

 

So Jaein’s brother is a trainee. That explains him living in the capital. Auntie Shinjae must’ve missed her son a lot. “Is that so?”

 

“Yup! Hey, when did you start living with them?” he suddenly queried.

 

“The day before I started attending classes; that was a week ago.”

 

Jinjja? (Really?) Why? Are you actually relatives with the Chungs?”

 

Anni, auntie and eomma are best friends back at old days. My mother never mentioned about the Chungs. After my mother passed away, her last wish for me is to come here and live with them. So I’m really nervous when I met them for the first time.”

 

I can’t believe myself saying this kind of information. I’ve never been too open to anyone when it comes to my own issues. Maybe it is because I’m starting to acquaint myself to people here that telling a sad story had become easier.

 

“I’m sorry about that, dude. Dui bu qi. (I’m sorry)” Luhan tapped my shoulder.

 

Mei shi. (It’s okay).” I said. If others will hear my story, they would start saying sorry. But my mother taught me to be strong. This is reality and I shouldn’t let my weaknesses eradicate my future.

 

-

 

Yifan was silently reviewing his notes on the study table when he heard a knock upon his door. He looked up and saw Jaein stepping in his room, a wide grin on her face.

 

Annyeong!” Jaein walked towards him and placed her files on the table. She sat down, invading a space beside him.

 

“Yes, you need something?”

 

“Can we study together?” Jaein clasped her hands and eyed Yifan, making an aegyo. Her unusual gesture made the boy chuckle.

 

“Well, a study partner might be better,” he shrugged.

 

“Great! Will you please teach me how to solve this?” The girl opened her notes and encircled the certain equation using a pencil.

 

Yifan felt his brow rising and eyed Jaein, “I thought we’re going to study together? Are you here because you wanted to have a tutor?”

 

Jaein scoffed. “Mwo, no! We’re just brainstorming. I’m just asking for a help, and you were saying… aigoo…” she huffed, mumbling some words the boy can’t decipher.

 

Yifan grinned and took Jaein’s notebook. “I’m going to do this once, so you better listen carefully.” Jaein smiled instantly. She nodded her head, now paying attention to Master Yifan. Being friends with him is really a benefit for Jaein.

 

-

 

Misoo, Luhan and Yifan accompanied Jaein to the hospital. Today, the bandage around her foot will be discarded and to conclude whether she will need more medications or not.

 

“Don’t be so nervous Ms. Chung, it’ll be okay.” Doctor Yesung encouraged and patted Jaein’s back comfortably. The girl behaved on the hospital bed, with her three friends watching around for her.

 

“Yul, please prepare the gauze and disinfectant,” called Doctor Yesung to his personal nurse, Nurse Yuri.

 

“Yes honey, right away,” Nurse Yuri winked and went to the cupboards to get the apparatuses.

 

“Such a pretty nurse,” Luhan muttered, gaping at the beautiful nurse clad in a white pleated dress.

 

Misoo poked Luhan’s head. “Stop dreaming! She’s married with the doctor!”

 

“Oh, you two are a couple?” The pretty boy asked. Doctor Yesung smirked at the boy’s reaction, and then proceeded to unwrap the bandage.

 

Aigoo, you’re such a waste.” Misoo gritted. Luhan’s statement made the others fell into a quick entertainment.

 

Jaein tried to calm herself by joining their laughter. When Doctor Yesung finished untangling the bandage, a visible scar can be seen on her foot.

 

Doctor Yesung pushed his eyeglasses up to his nostril and examined the healed wound. “It was healing faster than what I expected. This is good, Ms. Chung. Your recovery progress is impressive.”

 

“I suppose that Ms. Chung’s eating habit is superb. A healthy person heals faster, don’t you know?” Nurse Yuri uttered, placing the tray on the table situated beside her husband.

 

“Oh, yes! Jaein isn’t a picker when it comes to foods.” Misoo chimed.

 

Doctor Yesung poured some disinfectant on the cotton and applied it unto the scar. “Good as new. Please continue to drink your medicines. Those stitches will be itchy on the next days to come so don't even think of touching it.”

 

“Neh. Thank you doctor!” Jaein said and put on the socks Misoo brought for her. “Doctor Kim, can I ask something?”

 

Doctor Yesung looked up from writing the prescription, “What is it, dear?”

 

“Can I still ride the bike after this? Am I not really going to do sports anymore?”

 

The married couple laughed at her statement. “Of course you can ride the bike. The injury you got isn’t that severe. You were just wounded, and you didn’t have any bone dislocations. You can still do sports but not until the scar is completely healed.”

 

“Why darling? Did your mother tell you not to ride the bike anymore?” Nurse Yuri asked. The patient nodded. “Mothers, as always. You should know that she only told you that because she doesn’t want you to be injured again. Please understand her. If you wish to ride the bike again, you can always tell her. Mothers always understand their children.”

 

The four youngsters nodded their heads in unison.

 

“Here you go, Ms. Chung. I hope you’ll get better.” Doctor Yesung placed the prescription note on Jaein’s hand, and smiled.

 

-

 

The four of them went to a restaurant nearby the hospital to get themselves a food. Jaein puffed her cheeks and watched the meat being cooked on the frying pan.

 

“Wow, it’s been a while since we have samgyeopsal. I love meat!” Luhan snickered and cutely bit his chopsticks.

 

“Yeah, that’s right! Let’s come back here after the examination. My treat!” Misoo said.

 

Eish, you actually have a money to buy us meal. Why do I have to spend my money for your ramen?” Jaein hissed.

 

“It’s a forced treat, my dear! It’s your penalty for not informing us.”

 

“I thought we’re done with this!” Jaein stomped her chopsticks and glared at Misoo. Luhan silently laughed while Yifan just smirked, having fun frying the meat.

 

Luhan swallowed his food and said to them, “Have you heard the news?”

 

Mwoya?” Misoo mumbled, urging him to continue speaking.

 

“The school janitor, Hongguk, resigned his job. He left Gyeongpo and went to Busan to see his daughter.”

 

Jaein and Yifan paused from eating and eyed each other.

 

“Hongguk ahjushi resigned? But he’s been working as a janitor for how many years. I wonder what made him quit.” Misoo shrugged.

 

“Maybe he wanted to see his daughter. The last time I saw him, his head was bandaged. Do you think he got into a fight?”

 

“I don’t think so. He is a good person. He once helped me from bringing the big rolls of fabrics when my club members were not around. He even repaired my sewing machine when he accidentally broke it.” Misoo mentioned.

 

“Right! He was the one who found my lost soccer ball. He also helped us repair the broken soccer net. Aigoo, he is such a good man.” Luhan shook his head.

 

Jaein chewed her food slowly, intently listening to her friends’ compliments towards Hongguk. She too, was helped a lot by the man. She couldn’t describe what she feels—being angry with him is surely not an excuse to mask off her guilt. She felt so sorry for the man.

 

She felt a pair of eyes staring at her. She looked up and saw Yifan looking at her, reading her thoughts. The boy sighed and resumed flipping the meat.

 

Oh how she wished to confront the man before he could even left. It really wasn’t an intention, she thought. But thinking about the incident, she realized something… that her friends don’t have a clue that the reason why Hongguk quitted… is because she was harassed, by him.

 

 


 

This is just a quick update! Thanks for the new comments and please click the vote arrow before the title! Have a nice Sunday to all! Got a lot of things to do~ Wee~