Chapter 15

After All This Time

 

 

 

Your POV

 

“Okay, now try to make another step,” my mother ushered. I made a step forward, and even though my foot hurts, I had managed to advance and stood still. My mother is trying me if can walk my injured foot. I feel like a little child being helped by my mother doing the first baby steps. “Good! Do another one!” she ushered again after a step.

 

I let out a groan. “Eomma, I’m not a kid! You’re making me feel like I don’t know how to walk at all. I told you, I’m okay!”

 

Aigoo, can’t you see I’m just helping you? You don’t want your mother to care for you?” she sniffled, acting like she was hurt.

 

I immediately hugged my mother. “Aish, now you’re the one who’s acting like a kid. Seriously, eomma.” My mother laughed and mischievously pecked my cheeks. I can see Yifan smiling at us on the sofa, peeling the apples. We just finished eating the dinner, and Yifan was currently peeling the apples which eomma brought home from the market.

 

Eomma made me face her and asked, “So, are you going to school tomorrow? Would you like to stay home until you’ll recover?”

 

Anni, I’m not going to absent. First quarter examination will be held next week. I need to attend my classes, eomma.”

 

Aigoo, my ever persistent daughter,” my mother let me sit down on the sofa, beside Yifan. “Still planning to achieve the valedictorian spot?”

 

“Neh! I want to get the scholarship for college. I made a promise to Jongshin oppa that I’ll do well in my studies.” I said, snatching a piece of sliced apple from Yifan’s plate.

 

“Your brother will be very proud of you. Good luck with that,” she tapped my arm and helped Yifan slicing the fruit.

 

“Neh, eomma. But now I’m in threat. I found a rival.” I said, glaring at Yifan. My mother turned at him.

 

“Yifan, what’s your ranking from the previous school?” eomma asked.

 

Mr. City Boy cleared his throat and shyly said, “Uhm… I’m the top one.”

 

I snorted. “Is it a class ranking?”

 

Anni, for the whole school,” he continued.

 

“MWO?!” I can feel my voice rising up from such revelation. There are at least three hundred students enrolled in a school. Him, ranking as the first… that mean he’s included in the list of honors, or much likely, the hall of fame. Last year, I got the second spot in Gyeongpo High, with Cho Seohyun unnie ranking the first. But now that she already graduated, I’m quite confident I’ll be getting the top spot this year. Not until, this creepy guy suddenly showed up. I guess it won’t be a smooth ride.

 

My mother laughed. “Oooh, my Jaein just found a competition. I’m proud of you guys! You are both smart! Aigoo~Eomma ruffled Yifan’s hair.

 

Yifan smiled and flicked his hair arrange. I pouted at him. Yes, I just found my rival. Yifan is like a mountain, a haunted gateway and a bloody war I have to get through. His mathematical skills are no joke. I have to be careful.

 

-

 

Yifan and Jaein rode the bus together for school. Even though Yifan is fond of walking, but knowing that Jaein needs a companion because of her injury, he was more willing to ride with her. Before they left the house, Auntie Shinjae gave them each a bento box for lunch.

 

Eomma¸igo mwoya? (Mother, what is this?)” Jaein asked, eyeing the pink lunchbox, while Yifan got the blue one.

 

“Okay children, since I am now spending for two students, I’m going to budget your allowances. From now on, I don’t want you to eat the cafeteria food. I’ll be providing you each a lunchbox. Cafeteria food is so expensive.”

 

Yifan opened his lunchbox and saw a heavy amount of rice, six pieces of fried prawns, and more side dishes. “I think this looks a lot tastier than the cafeteria food,” he said.

 

Jaein got curios and opened her lunchbox too. They have the same set of meal. “Wow! I think this looks more expensive than the cafeteria food!” she snickered.

 

 

Both of them got out from the bus and entered the school gates. Jaein was limping, and she was wearing her slippers instead of school shoes. She can’t wear her shoes because of the bandage.

 

They got inside the school ground and saw that there were still few students around. It’s still very early and the two found themselves the very first students who got to their classroom.

 

Jaein placed her bag down the armchair and scratched her head. “I guess we’re too early today. Is this good?”

 

Yifan chuckled, opening the curtains to let some light in. “You can sleep if you want to. Its still an hour to go before the classes starts.”

 

The girl sat down, “I’m not sleepy.” Then she took out her notes and began reviewing the lessons. She installed in her mind that she needs to get the highest grades for the upcoming examination.

 

“Early study?” Yifan asked and sat on his chair. Jaein nodded and focused on her notes.

 

Yifan smirked and leaned his back comfortably. The silence was deceiving him, with Jaein noiselessly studying on her seat. A nap wouldn’t hurt so he closed his eyes and doze off.

 

-

 

The two best friends of Jaein were stunned to see her in a pity state. Jaein lied about the incident and told her friends she got into an accident, the same story she told her mother.

 

“So, she said you can’t ride the bicycle anymore? I feel sorry for you, Jaein.” Misoo said. Of course she was disappointed about it. Her mother only wants her to be safe.

 

“Does it really hurt a lot?” Luhan chimed in, eyeing Jaein’s foot wincingly.

 

“It’s hurts, a little. But I’m getting used to it. You know how tolerant I am when it comes to pains.” Jaein muttered like an injury is not a big thing for her. It is a fact. When Jaein was younger, she would get scratches from playing too much outside. She gets hurts a lot that even crying had become a tiring thing to do.

 

Hearing her sentiments, Yifan silently shook his head in dismay. He was impressed to see her act like she was okay. He knows she doesn’t want her friends to worry for her. But only if she knew, how worried he was the moment he saw her almost got harassed. He would not forgive himself if something bad will happen to her. She was already a family to him.

 

-

 

It was already lunch time. Yifan and Luhan made a sit at a table for four.

 

“Yifan, aren’t you going to order a meal?” Luhan asked, recognizing Yifan not buying a lunch.

 

Anni, I have a lunchbox.” Yifan placed the pouch on the table and pulled out the light blue colored bento box. He opened his lunchbox, making Luhan gape at the view of his food.

 

Masda! (Delicious!)” Luhan muttered.

 

Annyeong!” Misoo greeted, bringing her tray of food, walked closer to their table with Jaein following behind.

 

“Hello girls!” Luhan acknowledge.

 

“Can we sit with you?” Misoo asked. Luhan nodded and offered the opposite bench for them. Yifan looked up and saw Jaein cutely sticking out her tongue, making him smirk and shook his head.

 

“Oh, Jaein-ah. You haven’t ordered a meal too?” Luhan asked, noticing Jaein not buying a lunch like she usually does.

 

Anni, I have a lunchbox.” Jaein said and placed a crocheted pouch on the table. She opened the bag and pulled out the light pink lunchbox.

 

Omo, that looks cute!” Misoo shrieked, admiring the flowery pattern printed on the object. Jaein happily nodded and opened her lunchbox. “Wah~ Yummy!” Misoo clapped.

 

Luhan eyed her food and realized something, “Hey, you and Yifan have the same meal. Hahah, this is so coincidental! You two are bringing lunchboxes today! Hahah!”

 

Misoo noticed it too. “Omo, Yifan really brought a lunchbox! And will you look at that, they have the same shape of lunchboxes too! What’s this? A couple lunchboxes? Hahaha!”

 

Jaein looked at her best friends as if they are getting crazy. She poked Misoo’s arm with the chopsticks. “What’s so funny about it?”

 

Luhan laughed harder and told Jaein, “It was just amazing! You two looked like siblings. Same lunchbox? Same meal? Aigoo, it looks like you’re both living in the same house.”

 

Misoo laughed too. But Yifan and Jaein were just watching them—dazed. Jaein frowned at Luhan. “Of course we eat the same meal. We live in the same house.”

 

She was unconscious of what she just said. She looked at her friends annoyingly.

 

The moment Jaein blurted the truth, Misoo and Luhan stopped laughing, and looked at Jaein and Yifan, to and fro, flabbergasted. “W-What?”

 

Yifan swallowed his food and told Jaein, “Right, Auntie Shinjae reminded me to tell you should drink your medicines after the meal. I got it on my bag, so don’t worry.”

 

Jaein nodded, putting the salad dressing to her plate. “Arasseo. I’ll drink it later at the classroom.”

 

Misoo automatically held Jaein’s arm, making the latter to pause from eating her food. “Mwo?” Jaein mumbled.

 

She pointed Jaein and Yifan, aghast. “You two… You live in the same house?!”

 

The photography club president nodded. She glanced at Luhan and saw him too in the state of shock. The soccer captain blinked and laughed sarcastically. “Hahah! You two are so funny!” Luhan playfully slapped Yifan’s arm. “Hahaha! Yah, this is the best joke I have ever heard!”

 

Yifan turned at him, “It’s true. I’m living with Jaein. Auntie Shinjae is my legitimate guardian,” he said sternly.

 

Luhan’s expression dropped and eyed Misoo in shock, muttering, “Maldo andwae… (Impossible)”