i. Gone

Thirteen - 13

 

                A young boy stared intently at the open television, his eyes widened as the headlines appeared.

“BREAKING NEWS: A LITTLE GIRL AND SEVERAL BOYS HAVE GONE MISSING AFTER AN EXPLOSION AT HOUSEHOLD. SOME NAMES OF THE MISSING CHILDREN ARE KRIS WU, AARON KWAK, DANIEL CHAE, JAY PARK, AND AILEE LEE. IF YOU SEE ANY CHILDREN WANDERING, PLEASE REPORT TO THE POLICE RIGHT AWAY.”

                His hands began to shake as he recognized one of the names. Ailee Lee, his classmate at school. They were even desk-mates. He shook his head; maybe it’s a different Ailee. But he was proved wrong when pictures of the missing children showed up. Ailee Lee’s smiling face was shown and his heart dropped. His hands began to tremble as he pointed at the TV screen," No.. Not my Ailee."

 

 

Case #9863; Report #1891; Document #1733: Ailee Lee

            On October 21, 2003, Ms. Ailee Lee’s house exploded at approximately 3:25pm. She shared the house with other adopted children. Lee’s foster parents could not be contacted at the time of explosion. A total of thirteen children missing have been reported. There are no casualties except for the explosion. Lee was a third grader; eight years old at time of accident.

           

Case #9863; Report #1891: House Explosion

            On October 21, 2003, a house on Summer Drive exploded. Cause of explosion is still unexplainable. A total of thirteen children have been reported. No bodies were found at the site of explosion. Each of these thirteen children are all orphans, their foster parents could not be contacted on day and time of explosion. Parents explained that they were running errands at time of explosion and shed tears over their missing children.

            The missing children have not been found yet. There have been no signs of any of the children. The thirteen children missing are:

            DOCUMENT #1729: Kris Wu

            DOCUMENT #1730: Aaron Kwak

            DOCUMENT #1731: Daniel Chae

            DOCUMENT #1732: Simon Park

            DOCUMENT #1733: Ailee Lee

            DOCUMENT #1734: Jay Park

            DOCUMENT #1735: Kevin Wu

            DOCUMENT #1736: Darryl Kim

            DOCUMENT #1737: Devin Lee

            DOCUMENT #1738: Sam Jung

            DOCUMENT #1739: Ryan Heo

            DOCUMENT #1740: Nicholas Choi

            DOCUMENT #1741: Tyler Park

Of all thirteen children missing, Ailee Lee is the only female gone missing. The parents of these thirteen children had adopted thirty children in 1999. Mr. Im and Mrs. Im, the foster parents, are both financially stable and both have high incomes each year. The Ims claim to have no knowledge of the disappearance. The seventeen orphans under the Im families care also claim to have no knowledge of the disappearance.

 

CASE #9863

UNSOLVED

Page 1 of 1

 

 

THREE YEARS LATER – 6th grade

 

“Hey Jerald, wait up!”

                A tall boy turned around, frowning at his best friend. “What do you want? I’m going to class, Darren.”

                Darren smiled at Jerald,” Why are you so grouchy? I’m just here to remind you my birthdays in three days. Bring me a present!”

                Jerald’s eyes widened,” What day is it today?”

                Darren tilted his head,” Hmm? My birthday’s on the 24th of October. Today’s October 21st!”

                Jerald’s expression turned dark. He turned around and strode away, leaving Darren in a confused state. Darren shrugged,” He’s so weird.”

 

                Jerald walked up to a gravestone, and knelt down. He pulled out a bouquet of flowers. He set them down quietly and then bowed,” Hey Ailee.”

                His expression brightened a little when he thought of his 3rd grade crush,” I missed you Ailee. I haven’t seen you in three years. Remember how we used to push each other when we sat next to each other as desk-mates? We would always get in trouble with Mr. Smith.”

                He smiled a bit as he chuckled at the memory,” I remember how we used to bicker all the time. But in the end we would be like best friends again. I used to be so immature and I really wished for Mr. Smith to move me away. I actually went to go ask him once in 3rd grade. Sorry Ailee, I was stupid.”

                A tear slid from his eyes,” I really miss you Ailee. I wish you would come back, but the past is the past. I can’t bring you back anymore. I’ll try to move on, because that’s what you would want me to do, right? I’m sorry Ailee. I just wanted to tell you that I really liked you, and you and I will always be best friends.”

                Jerald grinned softly at the gravestone as if it were Ailee. He wiped away the remnants of his tears and stood up. He respectfully bowed at the gravestone and left quietly. Jerald began to walk away, when he saw a familiar figure standing at the entrance of the cemetery. The figure spoke up,” You miss her too, huh?”

                The figure gave Jerald a small smile,” I wish she was still here, but what happens, happens, right?”

                Jerald kept his eyes down and nodded,” I get it, Jin. I know what you’re feeling even if Ailee and I weren’t as close as you guys were. I know you were her brother but I get you.”

                Jin smiled,” Jerald, don’t look so down. I know what you’re getting at. I should be paying my respects to my sister and my brothers now. Bye, I hope I see you next year.”

                Jin walked towards Ailee’s gravestone, walking with a sad gait. Jerald felt the corner of his lip tug up, he whispered,” At least there’s more people other than me who care for her… That way she won’t be sad when I leave.”

 

 

                Jerald watched as the movers placed his boxes on the truck. He silently wished he didn’t have to go, but he also wished to leave. He hated the memories that wandered here, but loved them at the same time. If only Ailee didn’t disappear, he wouldn’t have to move. He could walk around with Ailee by his side and they could’ve been a couple. But Ailee was missing, and he just didn’t feel like staying anymore. His mother walked up to him and placed an arm around his shoulder,” I’m sorry that we have to move Jerald, but your dad just got that really big promotion and we have to move to Korea. You will make new friends in Korea though! Just be happier, and smile more.”

                He merely nodded his head to his mother’s words, but she was satisfied with his response and walked back in to talk with the movers. The boxes had been done loading, and he got on the car. He crossed his fingers, hoping he could come back the next year to visit Ailee again. But of course, he wasn’t sure. He was moving to Seoul, South Korea. It was going to be hard to get back to America. Jerald sighed, but then smiled,” It’s time to start a new life Jerald.”