Chapter Two

In Between Love

Dara was still sulky even after Bom announced for them to go home. She should be happy because she would not put up to any of Bom's craziness.

She knew that if something that just came up from her friend's mind, she would do it even if its crazy and wild. She just doesn't want it right now.

'Aisht! Why are you acting like this now? Aren't you used to men only talking to you because of your bestfriends? Why is it different now?'

She scolded herself. Even though it's been three hours already but she just can't let that guy tear up from her mind. 'Kwon Jiyong'. by his name alone brought smile in her face.

"Yah!" Bom shouted at her that brought her back from her trance. She faced Bom and tilted her head.

"You gave me the creeps! The moment we settled in the car, you were all sulking and even slapping yourself then all of a sudden you’re smiling to yourself! Stop that! I don't want to have a crazy person as a friend!" she glared at her. She didn't notice she was doing what she claimed her doing.

Dara then smiled to her apologetically. "I just got distracted."

Bom just stared at her before starting again her track. Dara didn't even notice that Bom stopped the car.

"What's keeping you distracted?" Bom asked but her eyes were still in front.

Dara didn't immediately respond and that got Bom more curious. She glanced at her first then smirked at Dara. "Is it a guy?"

Dara almost snapped her head when she turned to Bom. 'How did she know?' she thought.

As if reading her mind, Bom answered. "I saw a guy approached you earlier. He's kinda cute." She smiled then glanced at her as if teasing her.

She heaved a sigh. Bom caught that. "What's with the sigh?"

She slouch her back on the seat then answered her. "You know how guys would only talk to me because of you and Chaerin.  And he's no exception. Did you see him glanced at your direction after he left me? He's just the other guys out there."

"If he is just another guy out there, then why are you so affected by him? You could just ignore him like what you always do to the others."

Bom got a point. Why was she thinking too much of him? 

"Oh...so our little Dara finally crushing on someone."  Bom earning a deadly glare from Dara but that didn't stop Bom from smiling widely at her. 

"I am not! Stop teasing me! It's as if I'm gonna see him again."  she pouted and had no other choice but just looked in front of the car. She just could not win to Bom. 

"We don't know... Maybe he'll just pop out from nowhere just like what happened today."  Bom continued with her tease then whistled a tune. It irritated her more.

She just hopes that what Bom said would not be true because if she ever sees him again, it will only give her pain.

 

----------------------------

 

The next day in school was the same as always. The three of us go to first period then separate on the second period and meet up again during lunch. I was not able to ask Chaerin on what happened on the so called "blind date" because they got home late and I'm already asleep. I forgot to ask her this morning.

"CL-roo, what happened last night?" we were eating our luch now. The whole cafeteria was crowded but thankfully our usual spot was always empty. Maybe because the students there knew that this is our place. Bom who was currently eating pause her spoon in the air to face Chaerin.

Chaerin's face became sour at the topic. "He's that ugly?" Bom said and made a funny face. I elbowed her gently.

Chaerin sighed then faced us. "Well, I can't say his ugly. His good-looking but what irritates me is that he is so CONCEITED! As if he’s the greatest guy in the world! Do you know what he said to me?" Bom and I unconsciously shook our heads. "I'm a pretty good catch. You won't have problems introducing me to your friends, baby." I think she just imitated the guy. She was also leaning closer and did the wiggling of eyebrow that made me want to puke.

"I can't believe I could meet such an arrogant and very self-centered man! If only my father was not there, I could have walked out the moment he opened that mouth of his!" she was in rage. Bom and I just jaw dropped because for the first time, CL lose her composure just because of a guy. She was already breathing heavily after that speech.

"O-kay... Want some desserts Bom?" I glanced at Bom and she understood that we just drop the topic to not further elevate the situation. 

"Sure! I want the blue berry cheesecake."  Bom said. I stood up and went to the dessert section of the counter.

I was busy looking for a dessert when the prince- yes, Nickhun- came up to me.

"Hey Dara, how have you been?" I turned to look then smiled at him. 

"Are you sure you're really asking me that or for someone else?"  he shyly smiled and I think I heard some girls dreamily gasped at the sight.

"I'm asking you now. You're a friend after all." What's up with this guy?

"Well, to answer your question, I'm doing great." I searched again for Bom's request and finally told the server for two slices and a strawberry ice cream. I was about to reach for some money but he beat me to it.

"No. it's okay." I tried stopping him but he still insisted.

"It's okay. It's like treating you your favorite ice cream." he got my tray and waited for me to walk first.

I eyed on him suspiciously. "That is my favorite ice cream."

"I know." then he smiled again. I froze at first but felt stupid thinking he was doing it for me. I shrugged at the thought then continued my way to our table.

"You don't mind having Nickhun here, do you?" I asked the two girls and they all shook their heads.

"Nickhun sit here." I pulled him next to Bom after he put down the tray. Bom just raised her brows at me but I just smiled at her. Then, I settled myself next to Chaerin in front of him.

He was smiling sweetly to Bom. I knew it, he was just being nice earlier. Pain crept in my chest. An image of yesterday ran in my mind and I felt more pathetic.

"Dara, are you okay?" Nickhun suddenly asked. I didn't notice a tear ran down my cheek. I saw my bestfriends moved closer to me.

"Oh, I'm fine. I think something went to my eye." I dried the tear away but suddenly he went by my side and started inspecting my eye and even blowing it.

"There, is it okay now?" Again, I was petrified. I felt my two friends as well and heck even the whole people in this cafeteria!

He was still cupping my face when I heard a voice near me.

"I think she's fine." I think I heard that voice before. I glanced at my right and there he is, the man from yesterday.

"You can let her go now." he continued eyeing me and Nickhun. I suddenly got conscious of our position. His face was still near me.

"Uhm..T-hank you." I managed to say then gently pulled out from his hold.

Upon realizing my awkwardness, he straightened his back and stood up but still looking at me. "You're my friend so I was bound to do that."

Ouch! I smiled at him. He then faced Chaerin and Bom and bid goodbye. He lastly glanced at me then walked out of the place.

"Cuz, what are you doing here?" I heard Chaerin's voice. I glanced at her and she was looking at someone on my back.

"Nice to see you too." that voice again. I swiftly pivoted and there he is.

"Cousin?" Bom asked also bewildered at the moment. 

"Omo! I told you before that I have a cousin from France, right?"  Chaerin said then stood up and now beside the guy. 

"Yah, you told us about him but we never really saw even a picture of him so how do we suppose to recognize him?"  Bom said and I nodded as well while looking at him. Surprisingly, he glanced at me and I diverted my eyes on Chaerin.

"Well, this cousin of mine likes to play mysterious, isn't it cuz?" she patted his shoulder and chuckled to herself.

"No, CL-roo. You're just too selfish to introduce your friends to me." he looked at her cousin and acted hurt. I found him cute doing that.

"You're the guy Dara talked yesterday, right?" Bom said smiling. I know that smile. Is she interested on him?

He glanced at me and gave me this melting smile again. "Yes. How are you Dara?"

I was frozen on the spot. Is he talking to me? Chaerin and Bom waited for my response but it’s just that I felt like something was blocking my throat. "I-I-I'm f-fine, Jiyong-ssi."

His smile widened more. "I'm glad you could still remember me."

"Dara has a very good memory especially if it’s worth remembering." Bom looked at me teasingly. I glared at her.

"I guess no need for introductions-" Chaerin was cut off by Bom.

"We haven't been properly introduced yet." Chaerin rolled her eyes then told Jiyong to sit with us leaving him to be seated beside Bom.

"Okay, Bom meet Jiyong. Jiyong meet Bom." Bom made a face on Chaerin.

"Yah! Is that how you introduce someone? tsk..." she glanced back at him. "Hello, my name is Park Bom. 21 years old and single." she raised her hand for a hand shake.

Jiyong just smiled at her but reached for hand. "Well, name's Kwon Jiyong and 21 years old."

It took long enough for them to put down their hands so Chaerin annoyingly separated them. "Jeez, you two please behave."

"So cuz, are you staying here for good?" Chaerin asked him. Bom was still looking at him dreamily while I was busy playing with my ice cream. 

"It depends. I haven't set a goal yet but if I got a chance, I will pursue it."  he said.

"What do you mean?" Bom asked. I got curious as well.

"For now, I'll keep it to myself." He smiled mysteriously.

"You're not doing illegal, right?" Bom joked at him.

"I assure you it's nothing about that." he said.

"Do uncle and auntie know about you staying here?" Chaerin asked.

"Yes, and I'm old enough to decide for myself." Chaerin just shrugged her shoulders. I had now an idea where she got her ideals from.

"Where are you staying now?" Wait, was that me?

He looked at me but thank goodness the girls were looking at him. "I have a place I bought a year ago just in the city."

I nodded at him totally understanding but Chaerin couldn't hide the creases forming in her forehead. "Yah, how did you buy a house when this is your first time going home after a long time?"

"Connections, dear cousin, connections." he said then wiggled his index finger.

"See? He's being mysterious." she said as if resting her case.

"I like mystery." Bom suddenly said. Jiyong glanced at her and unknowingly smiled.

There's a prick in my chest. The very first man I got attracted to will never lay his eyes on me.

Jiyong darted his gaze towards me that it took me off guard. I immediately shifted on my melting ice cream. Erase what I just said, I didn’t mean it literally since he did look at me. He will never be attracted to me too. That's it! Yes, the very first guy that I got attracted to will never feel the same way for me. I guess this would always be my role throughout my existence.