Old Friend

In Between Love

It's been days since I've met Jiyong. There were never a day that I don't see him and because of that my feeling towards him grew bigger and bigger that I felt suffocating from it. I never once envied Bom of anything before but now I want to be just like her. Being with Jiyong during lunch time, during breaks and even after school. I seldom hang-out with her anymore. But don't be mad at her, she keeps on insisting for me to come, I'm just just so stupid to decline. So in the end, I go home alone everyday.

Don't ask me about Chaerin. She's always MIA nowadays and she's claiming she's doing something beyond her control. Where are your friends when you need them more?

I just got home to the Lee's when I heard noises in the veranda. I was about to ignore it when I heard a very familiar voice. Curious as I could be, I took a peek and was stood frozen there when my hunch was true.

"Dara dear, come here." Mrs. Lee motioned me to come and let me sit next to her.

"What are you doing here?" I looked at him, shock still evident in my face.

"Oh come on now dear, how could you be like that to your fiance?" I bowed down to her for raising my voice.

"Mianhe. I was just shock. I thought the arrangement was off after my mother's death?" I stared at the both of them. Even up to now, this guy hadn't said a single word and it irritated her more.

"The more it should not be canceled. Dara dear, I know we are family but having family on your own is also a good thing. Your future has been settled long before your mother's death. She made me promise that you should bot be left alone. Even to now, I'm keeping that promise." I felt her hand cupped my hands on my lap. I felt stinging in my eyes I knew tears are threatening to fall. I took a deep breath and turned to her again almost not remembering that there's also one person in the room.

"Mrs. Lee, I'm grateful for a year that you've been taking care of me but I never liked the idea of the arranged marriage even before and I don't see any more reason to follow it. I can take care of myself." my eyes were pleading because eventhough this is my life, I still don't have a control over it.

"Well, we must not rush into things. Let's just talk about this some other time. For now, please do attend our guest because he went from very far just to see you." The older woman smiled at him and to her then stood up. "I'll leave you two youngsters here. Please do stay for dinner, okay?" the man nodded then Mrs. Lee finally left.

No one spoke. It became a haunted house when Mrs. Lee left. On my part, I'm not liking the idea of this bullsh**. My mom was the one who kept on insisting on this. Maybe that time, she already knew the existence of her illness that's why even with her last days she wanted everything to be settled- the business and even my future.

"How are you, Dara?" I heard him asked.

I finally turned to look at him. "I thought I made myself clear that I will not go on this arrangement?"

"You're the only one ranting about that. Everything is already in its place and the only one needs to be in order is you." he said without even breaking that expressionless face of his.

"What happened to you, Dae?" His stoic face almost broke if not him looking away from me.

"What are you talking about? I'm still the same and even felt great." I know he was lying. I almost knew everything about him because he was our childhood friend.

"I miss the old Dae. The Kang Daesung who always smiles and loves to joke around. The friend who never never seize to hurt others just to get what he wants." I almost cried up seeing the still expressionless of the man whom I used to laugh with.

"Like I said, I felt greater than before. Stop the illusion of me to going back to that stupid man back then." He stood up and was about to step when I stopped him in the arm.

"Dae, I'm sorry." I hold unto him tightly but he never said a word.

"I decided for this on my own accord so you don't have anything to be sorry about." he pulled out his arm and started his track.

"Dae-" I called him again.

"No, Dara. You can't change back anything." I sighed at his comment. "I'll see you again tomorrow." and with that, he finally exited the room.

I was left there alone and devastated. I lost a very dear friend because of my stupidity and careless decisions. I wish I could go back to the days when the four of us- Caherin, Bom, Daesung, and me- were still together and didn't care about the future in stored for us. Because of certain responsibilities, everything shattered and our friendship with Daesung vanished like it never happened.

"Where's Daesung?" Mrs. Lee entered the living room and found Daesung gone.

"He just left." I slumped myself in the couch.

"I told him to have dinner here." I heard her sigh. "Dara dear, just understand him. He has his reasons and you'll never know, your friendship will be back without you noticing it."

I looked at her and I saw her pained expression. "We don't even know what really happened between us."

Silenced filled the room. I thought Mrs. Lee was already gone but she suddenly spoke. "Just wait fro him to open up. The old Daesung will be back for sure. Just keep your faith on him." then she left the room.

"Woah, why are you very serious? Did something happen?" Chaerin entered after Mrs. Lee left.

"Daesung came here." I said and I'm right, her eyes widen and excitement were very visible in her eyes.

"Really?! Where is he?" she moved her head from left to right and was about to go out of the room when I stopped her.

"He already left." Chaerin's expression dropped and went beside me in the couch.

"I miss him." she placed her head in my shoulder.

"Yeah, me too." I said and placed my head on top of her.

"What did he say to you?" I heard her ask.

I sighed before answering. "Our arranged marriage."

Chaerin abruptly sat straight that I almost fell on the couch. "It will still go on?"

"Dae and your mom want me to agree. I bet Bom's mom would also insist on it. I understand if your moms insist because it was my mom's plan before but Dae also participating in this, I don't understand. Something must be up. He stopped talking to us after the announcement and he drastically changed after that." I stared at her and she was also thinking.

"I was also wondering why. Well, he should be happy because it's an open secret that he likes you, the heck, maybe loves you..." I glared at her and she just shrugged her shoulder and continued. "His actions are very new to us. I never thought that there will come a day that he will be unreadable."

"You should see him today. His expression never changed." I even imitated Dae's face that made her laugh.

"Seriously, we need to be in the bottom of this. I miss our friend already." Chaerin said.

"Where's Minzy by the way?" Minzy is Dae's sister.

"Well, I haven't seen her for a year now. Maybe Dae sent her in Europe to study." Chaerin answered. 

"Maybe having a big responsibility at such a young age can change someone."  I said.

"That maybe it." Chaerin straightened and swiftly glanced at me.

I furrowed my forehead on her. She sighed then flick her finger on me. "Yah! Why would you do that?" I was holding my now-red-forehead.

"We are very selfish not noticing that our friend was already suffering. He is on the same age with us but he has been forced to mature just to save the almost dying company his father left." I felt guilty realizing it.

"Then, what is it have to do with me? I mean they are stable now thanks to him but having this marraige is insane. And for the nth time, he doesn't like me!" for the nth time again, I glared at her. As usual, she just rolled her eyes.

"Your inferiority complex is killing me! Duh Dara! It's very obvious in Dae. He doesn't want to admit it or even already did but you’re just too blind to notice." I raised my eyebrow because seriously, that's the lamest joke ever.

"Ha ha ha... It's very funny." I shifted the topic just to get out from being in the hot seat. "So, where did you go?"

I guess my intention succeeded since I saw her wrinkled her nose, a manner she has when she's annoyed, and became sour. "I was with that rat again."

"Rat? You have a pet rat?" I moved closer to her. 

"A pet rat is better than having that big rat around!"  You could really tell she's pissed. It got me curious to hell!

"Who's that guy by the way?" I tilted my head to face her.

"Not worth mentioning his name. Don't bother because I swear this would be the last time I see him." and she just walked-out. She really is that pissed on this guy that she tends to forget the drama earlier.

I sighed remembering Daesung again. I want to know what he is thinking. I want to know what happened to us. I want to know the problems he is experiencing. I want to know him for I don't have any idea of him anymore.

 

~~~~000~~~~000~~~~

Hi guyz!

What do u think so far??

Please do comment...angel