There Has To Be A Way

Lost Memories

                Another strange light woke me but as soon as I opened my eyes it quickly vanished. I don’t think it was the sun. My burning eyes drifted to where I left the glass. It was refilled now. Someone’s been here. Wow, they actually put ice in it, like that will make much of a difference.

                They added something else to. There was an isolated section covered with screens. The tissue rolls stacked on the outside of it must mean that it’s a little restroom. I stood up, surprised that there was no pain, and approached the screen. There was a bucket, just a rusty old bucket. I gritted my teeth in anger, feeling disgraced, mortified, degraded, and any and all words for hate. Now they were treating me like some human sized pet!

                …Well, I am just about as helpless as an abused pet. They can’t cry for help and reach understanding ears…but I can! I have the ability to be heard!

                “…Help…” I croaked. My voice could barely climb above a whisper. Before I could clear my throat, the sound of footsteps sounded above me. They started off slow then rushed, coming closer and closer. I must be in the basement. A door opened above me, clarifying my suspicions. The light flooded into the basement, burning my eyes. When my eyes focused, I saw that Insu was standing in the doorway.

                “I’m so sorry,” She repeated over and over, her hand covering . After shutting the door she quickly descended the steps, stopping within a reasonable distance from me. Reasonable indeed, she was standing far enough away for me not to snatch her eyes out. But I think the real person I want to hurt is Jang, not Insu.

                “Why did she do this?” I whispered, and then took a drink of the water so I could speak louder.

                “I’m sorry, she told me not to talk to you,” Her shaky eyes fell to the ground, avoiding my gaze.

                “Look at me!” I managed to yell, throwing the glass onto the hard ground. It shattered on contact. Insu flinched and turned away. While she wasn’t looking I picked up a piece of the glass and put it in my back pocket. “You can let me go,” I tried to make my voice sound calm.

                “I can’t. I don’t have the key,” She indicated to the chains. I followed the chain to see that they were wrapped around a support pillar, locked together by a padlock. Slowly she approached me, her eyes cautious as she started picking up the shards of glass. I can’t attack her, she doesn’t even have the key; it’d be useless. If I held her against her will Jang wouldn’t care. The sound of Insu sniffing distracted me. I looked to see that her eyes were watering. Why is she about to cry? I should be the one crying.

                I took a deep breath as I tried to calm myself.

                “Where is she?” I asked to distract her. If she started crying there was no guarantee that I wouldn’t join in. And if we both start freaking out we’ll get nowhere.

                “She’s at school,” She sniffed. Wow, school, of all the places. Wait- if she’s at school then that means I’m supposed to be there to. What do Munhee and Yeong think happened to me? Or even my mom, Jiyang…even Taemin? They don’t even have a way of finding me. They don’t even know that I’m a witch. They don’t know that Jang has me captive here because she hates witches. So…how will I escape?  Just as I could feel my own eyes start to water, a diminutive shred of hope filled me.

                If Taemin saw this coming, he must know where I am! Or he’ll at least have a way to find me. Or…worst case scenario, they have him locked up somewhere to.

                “Are you really…”Insu started, her voice trailing off. I stared at her, my eyes widening. Is she seriously trying to start a conversation with me?!

                “What? A witch?” My words came out harsher than I intended. “…yeah,” I said quietly. She lowered her head when I had raised my voice, knowing that she deserved to get yelled at, or maybe even more.

                “Then, cant you like…do something? Like, some kind of magical spell to get out?” She offered with a strange light in her voice. Her happiness disgusted me.

                “No…I don’t really have any powers,” I confessed.

                “Really?” She asked, sounding disappointed. I glared at her till the pity on her face faded.

                “So…she’s trying to kill me right?” I asked after a long silence. It might help to know the intent.

                “…yes…” She answered quietly, her face waning. I sighed and looked around the room. What could she use to kill me with in here?

                “Is she trying to starve me? That would take much longer if you keep giving me water.” That reminded me that I hadn’t eaten since I woke up here. How long has it been so far?

                “I’m not even supposed to be talking to you, let alone giving you water or feeding you.” Her face grew paler as she continued,” She said that if I tried to save you she burn me and you ‘like all the rest’ “She quoted.

                I sat down beside the pillar, the chain clinging with every move. If I could get out of the chain I could find a way out.

“Schools almost over…” she announced when she picked up all the glass. When I didn’t respond she quietly left the basement. I took the shard of glass out and stared at the sharp edge. If Jang wants to kill me, I won’t go down without a fight. But, somehow, I felt safe. My thoughts kept turning to Taemin. Maybe it’s because somehow, if it’s meant to be, he’d find me.

I hope it’s meant to be…