I Remember

Lost Memories

                 As soon as the words were out the pain eased, slowly fading.  My eyes remained glued to his, watching the pain leak from his to. I could only stare at him, moon eyed.

                “That’s impossible…she’s not even a witch. She doesn’t even know I’m one. I don’t even think she knows about magic.”

                “That’s what she wants you to believe,” He voiced in my head.

                “Just…” I tried to sum up all my questions into one but came up with an order. “I want you to tell me everything, every detail, be it dark or good, don’t sugar-coat it,”

                “I’m sorry,” He stood up, “But we don’t have enough time.”

                “What do you mean?” I stood up next to him, closer than I should be. His beautiful bright eyes stared down at me silently. Suddenly the bell rang. I looked at all the students flooding the halls immediately, filling it with noise. I turned back to Taemin, but I was standing alone. Where did he go?! I looked at my side and saw my book bag next to my feet. When did he do that? There’s no time to wonder, maybe he’ll be in the next class.

                I quick walked to Mrs.Park‘s class and ended up the first one there. After taking my seat, my eyes stared at the door. Disappointment punched me in the face every time a person that wasn’t Taemin walked in. Eventually the final bell rang and he hadn’t shown up. I don’t want to wait until tomorrow just to continue our conversation. Where did he go? I hope nothing happened to him. Will my mom know that I know? It’s definitely gonna be awkward at dinner tonight. Should I tell her that I know? Something is telling that I really shouldn’t tell her.

                The rain continued to fall heavily throughout the rest of the day. All I wanted to do was sleep and wait for art again tomorrow.  When the last bell of the day finally rang, I wanted to run to the bus but was stopped by Jiyong.

                “Hey Lucinda,”

                “Hey,” I tried to hide that I really didn’t feel like talking to him right now.

                “Are you okay?”

                “Yeah, I’m just really tired. I need to go home.” A.K.A.: Please don’t talk to me now. I really need some time alone to sort out my thoughts.

                “Me too,” He laughed,” I can walk you to the bus,” I shrugged and quick walked with him. “How’s your week been going so far?”

                “Fine,” I lied,” What about you?”

                “Well, chemistry is trying to kill me,”

                “Really,” Even though I really didn’t feel like talking to him, I felt like I should help him with something since he kinda helped me.” Do you want me to help you?”

                “If you think you can handle it. I’m pretty far behind.”

                “I’ll help you,”

                “Thank you soooo much!”

                “Your welcome,” He looked so happy that I couldn’t help smiling with him. He turned quickly when one of his friends called his name and waved him over.

                “I’ll see you on the bus?” He asked

                “If you don’t miss it,” He laughed and ran over to his friend.  As soon as I got on the bus, I tried to calm my mind so I could take a quick nap. That’s the only way I can make it through the bus ride without Jiyong bothering me. But it seems I was wrong, I opened my eyes when he started shaking my shoulder.

                “It’s time to go,”

                “Oh,” I started to feel rude for referring to him as a bother. Rubbing my tired eyes, I followed him off the bus.

                “Wow, you really were tired,” He commented as we walked down the wet streets.

                “Yeah,” I mumbled.

                “Well,” We came to a stop outside my house.”I guess I’ll see you this weekend.”

                “Why?”

                “For tutoring,” He laughed

                “Oh yeah, okay. I’ll see you then,” The sleep had confused me.

                “We’ll I can see that you’re about to go back to sleep so…have a good night,” He smiled.

                “Thanks,” I pulled my key out of my pocket as the rain started to fall again. Jiyong waved and started running to his house.  Not caring about the rain making my hair frizzy, I walked slowly up the porch steps, unlocked the door and closed it behind me-but, as I was pushing it, something was pushing in the opposite direction.  I let go of the door knob, staring at it. What the hell is wrong with Jiyong, he could at least knock. The door was left half open as he stood out of view behind it.  I forced the door back open. “What do you want?!” I yelled, only to turn beet red when I saw that it was Taemin standing in my door way.

                How did he know where I lived?

                “Sorry,” I looked behind him into the rain. Jiyong must already be in his house.”What are you doing here?”

                “May I come in?” He asked as though he hadn’t disappeared and reappeared at my door step.  Having him knowing so much stuff about me was starting to get on my nerves. Why won’t he just answer my questions? I nodded to him and stepped aside. He walked in and shut the door behind him, locking it.  “Every time you’re about to tell me something you disappear.”

                “I’m sorry,” He said in a sad voice. I sighed and walked into the living room, turning on the lights on the way. The dark sky made the house seem to dark. Or maybe it felt that way because I was locked in my own house with a stranger. He sat on the couch across from me watching me the whole time. Now there’s no reason for him to leave…hopefully.

                “It’s okay,” I said quietly. He stood up and walked to where I sat, and then kneeled on the floor.

                “What are you doing?” It made me feel rude to have someone below me. He closed his eyes and shook his head with a deep sigh. When he opened them again they were serious. The sight made me freeze again.

                “Lucinda,” He breathed, giving me chills.”You are the reason that I am still alive.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “Back then, we were always together…your mother is divorced right?” What? Why would he even ask me that?

                “Don-“

                “I’m not avoiding the question,”

                “Yeah, she is. Why?”

                “She got divorced because your father couldn’t handle the fact that she was a witch.”

                “You just jumped the question,”

                “No,” He shook his head.”That’s why she took your memory. Everything about her magic,…your father,…your past, me,…everything. She didn’t believe that people could find love or friendships through magic. She didn’t want you to suffer that same pain. She figured you’d be better off without magic at all.”

                Soon, the only sound in the room was the rain. Most of what he said made sense.

                “So, since she took my memories, every time I try, or get close to, remembering something from my past my head would hurt because of the spell?”

                “Yes,” He nodded. Looking into his silver eyes was calming. It reminded me of the candle colors in my book of shadows. Silver candles can be used in healing magic. Didn’t people use silver for infected piercings or something to? He stood up and walked to the back windows. His hand rested on the glass as the rain continued to pound on it.”You can ask me anything,” He said as he continued to stare. Good, because I wasn’t going to hold back. I should test him with a question I already asked. But, it always sounded weird to me.

                “Will you be honest?”

                “Yes,”

                “What are you?” I’m guessing he’s a witch.

                “I’m whatever you want me to be,” He repeated like last time.

                “Okay, but what does that mean?”

                “I was human, before you helped to keep me alive”

                “What do you mean?”

                “We met in a hospital, I was dying. We entered on the same day but you left earlier, because your magic helped you heal. After that, you’d always come to see me. Then I left a few months later and ended up getting sick again. That’s when…” He suddenly stopped talking and took a deep breath.

                “What?” I urged.

                “That’s when I almost died,” It sounded like he had changed his words. “Then, you gave me all your magic, to keep me alive.”

                “How?”Did I give him all my magic? Is that why my spells don’t work? Is he still sick?

                “I don’t know…” That seems to be the only thing he finally doesn’t know about me. “Everything that I can do you used to be able to do.”

                “So, I could make you hear me?”

                “Yes, you could do a lot more than that to,” But, I can’t do anything now.

                “Is that why my spells don’t work, and why I keep doubting them?”

                “Yes,” My eyes fell to the floor. “But,” He was suddenly standing in front of me, lifting my face up to his.”I will help you get your magic back.” He said determinedly, staring directly into my eyes. My heart beat sped up. What would happen to him if he did that?

                “You don’t have to,”

                “No…I have to,” A flash of lightning flashed again. I continued to stare into his eyes closely. So close that I could see little sparkles of green in them. “I want you to remember everything.” He said sincerely. I stood up to see him more closely. When I reached my full height, he let go of my chin. I reached for his hand before it fell to his side. It was my first attempt at skin contact. He didn’t try to stop me, that’s a good sign. I held his hand gently, staring down at it. It felt so smooth but so cold.

                “I think I remember this,” It felt familiar, but not mentally. Mentally, this was new.

                “I do remember this,”He smiled a little, which didn’t help to calm my heart.

                He stood closer to me, closer than what should be normal. If my heart continued at this pace any longer I might end up having a heart attack. I could feel his pulse quicken in his finger tips. If he were to kiss me right now, I wouldn’t mind. He’d be the first and only person I’d want to do that. If I hadn’t given him my magic then, I would surely give it up now to have him stay here with me forever. I inched closer at some point unconsciously. His cool breaths on my cheeks pulled me closer to him. Slowly he closed his eyes. I could feel his hands loosening from mine. There was no sound, but he faded away. The only thing left was the black smoke fading into the air with him.

                I have never felt this way before. Strangely, it feels like something is gone…gone with Taemin. I already miss his skin…his voice…him, everything about him, really. For me to feel this way, could it mean that in this moment or some point in the past, I could possibly have loved him?