Conversation and Provocation

No One Puts Baby In A Corner

Warning: Language.

O.o o.O

“Are you sure you’re comfortable like this, ge?” Tao asked uncertainly, pressed into the corner of his bed right up against the wall. 

“Yeah,” Kris said, reaching to steady Tao’s laptop balanced somewhat awkwardly on his thigh. “Why, are you not?”

“I’m comfy,” Tao mumbled into Mr Panda’s fur. 

Tao himself was a tight fit on his single bed, but with Kris sitting next to him, there was barely any breathing space, and it took more than a few minutes of manoeuvring before their long limbs found a place to settle. He had wondered why Kris was so insistent on watching the Chinese drama in Tao’s room instead of outside, but had agreed easily that it would be best not to hog the television for something that not everyone wanted to watch.

So here they were now, sitting in Tao’s bed, pillows against their backs, legs stretched out, and Tao’s entire right side slotting into Kris’ left. He would have felt self-conscious about their closeness, but Kris smelled so nice, and his warmth was so comforting, and he was so sturdy against Tao’s weight, and really, Tao thought as he rested his chin on Mr Panda, if this was all he’d ever get, he’d take it gladly. 

He found himself barely noticing as the opening theme song began to play. Maybe in another universe, Kris would have his arm around Tao’s waist, would pull him in close before pressing a sweet kiss to him, but in this universe, Tao was satisfied just resting his cheek on the sharp end of Kris’ shoulder.

Tao hummed as the episode began with a closeup of the male lead, his xuezhang. “Ge, don’t you think he looks so good in period costume?”

“…I guess.”

Tao smiled to himself; they were so close he could almost feel the words as Kris spoke them. Sighing happily, Tao didn’t even realise as he nuzzled into Kris briefly, hair tickling along his jaw.

It was only a couple minutes later that Kris shifted, winding his arm around Tao’s waist instead. Tao buried his face into the top of Mr Panda’s head, heart skipping a beat, before he realised it was probably just more comfortable this way, and scolded himself inwardly for feeling very excited at all. 

They sat together like this for the duration of the episode, neither of them moving except to resettle against the other more comfortably. By now, Tao was reclining against Kris’ chest, and he really could feel the words this time as Kris said, “Let’s watch another episode.”

“Okay,” Tao said, completely content as he hugged his panda tighter, Kris’ arm warm and secure around him.

O.o o.O

Tao emerged from his room with red, puffy eyes and damp cheeks, panda tucked under an arm.

“Hey, baby Tao,” Luhan said, sprawled on the sofa. “What’s up?”

“Lu-gege,” Tao greeted, throat still sore and voice still thick with tears. He cuddled up next to Luhan, sliding down to rest his head against Luhan’s shoulder and throwing his legs across Luhan’s lap.

“Hmm. You just rest, okay?” Luhan brushed his fingers through Tao’s hair before he resumed watching television, talking along with the trashy reality show. Tao laid against him, listening to Luhan’s exclamations, feeling himself slowly relax.

Kris’ door opened just as Luhan shouted, “, you didn’t!” 

“Dude, I’m studying. Would it kill you to watch tv without shouting for once?”

“Uuuuggghh, why are you always studying,” Luhan groaned. “Fine, fine, I’ll go watch it in my room.”

Kris sighed immensely, too tired to even argue as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “I’m not kicking you out of the living room, just - just stop shouting.”

“Come on, baby Tao, let’s go watch in my room instead.”

It was then that Kris looked at Tao - really looked at Tao - and he shot across the room, leaning down to cup Tao’s face in both hands and turn it up to his for inspection. “Tao? Were you crying? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, ge.” Tao sat up properly, pulse racing as Kris ran his thumbs gently over his cheekbones. He reached up, fingertips settling delicately onto the back of Kris’ hand. “I’m fine, really. I - I was watching something sad, so I came out to be with Lu-gege.”

“Wow,” Luhan said, sliding out from under Tao, caught right between them. “Wow I really don’t want to be here for this.” 

Neither Kris nor Tao acknowledged Luhan dashing off to his room.

“What sad thing were you watching?” Kris asked, sitting next to Tao on the sofa.

“Ge,” Tao whined. “It’s really stupid.”

Kris’ lips pressed together tightly as he tried to hide a smile. “Were you watching anime again?”

“Yeah,” Tao mumbled. “It’s really good. But then this guy died, and it was just so sad, and…and…” He sniffled, hugging Mr Panda closer even as he fell into Kris’ open arms for a tight hug.

“Why didn’t you come find me?”

“Oh, um.” Tao turned his face further into Kris’ shoulder, voice muffled against his shirt. “Your door was closed, so…” So I didn’t want to bother you, went unsaid.

Kris just sighed, loosening his hold slightly. “Come on, kid. Let’s go to that cafe you like.”

“But ge, you’re studying.”

“I need a break. Come on. I’ll buy you cake.”

Tao bounced up from the sofa. “Okay! Let me just -” He ran back into his room to set down Mr Panda, running back out again just as Kris came out of his own room, phone and wallet in hand.

“Ready to go?” Kris asked.

“Yes!” Tao chirped happily, following Kris out the door. “Ge, will you buy me hot chocolate too?”

“Yeah, yeah, sure. Whatever you want, kid.”

Luhan peeked out from behind his bedroom door, where he had been spying on them all along. “Oh my god,” he breathed out. “Gross.” 

And immediately whipped out his phone to update the others in a separate group chat.

O.o o.O

Kris scanned the canteen, quickly catching sight of the others. “Hey, guys,” he greeted, setting his tray down on the table next to Suho. He took a moment to frown at the seating arrangements - Tao was sitting at the edge with Sehun on his other side, leaving the space across from him free for Kris.

Sehun, ever the devil child, smirked at him as he draped an arm around Tao’s shoulders, leaning in. “Taotao, feed me.” He had finished his own lunch already, leaving only empty bowls on his tray.

“Here, Sehunnie,” Tao said indulgently, feeding him a spoon of his kimchi fried rice. He patted Sehun’s thigh. “Yummy?”

“Mhm,” Sehun nodded, smirk widening as Kris paused, noodles falling from his metal chopsticks as he watched the display with a darkening scowl.

“You can eat by yourself,” Kris said sharply, after Sehun demanded more bites that Tao spooned into his awaiting mouth. “You’re not a child.”

“Feeding is caring, hyung,” Sehun said airily. “‘Cuz Taotao loves me.”

Tao blushed, ducking his head. “Sehunnie,” he mumbled shyly.

Why was Tao blushing? Why was Tao blushing?!

Kris cleared his throat, deliberately turning away because he knew Sehun wanted him to keep watching them. “So, uh, Suho. Your place is all set for tonight? Do we need a beer run?”

“Oh! Nah, I think Jongin and Chanyeol are going later today,” Suho said, smiling widely. “They’ve already chosen the movie.”

“No horror,” Kris reminded him.

Nothing was said in reply, but the knowing look and raised eyebrow was somehow worse than any words.

Still, when they went to return their trays after lunch, when Tao leaned in and asked with shiny eyes if Kris would go with him to get ice cream at the convenience store, Kris couldn’t help the triumphant smirk that he sent to Sehun. 

Unfortunately for Kris, that just made Sehun linger in his goodbye hug with Tao, which was ridiculous because they’d be seeing each other in just a couple hours, and was there really a need for such outrageous displays of affection?

“Teeheehee,” Sehun giggled right into Kris’ ear. “I’ll give you some tips later, hyung.” He danced out of the way just in time to escape Kris’ warning slap, sticking his tongue out at Kris before running out of the canteen, more giggles floating back tauntingly.

“Ge?” Tao’s hesitant hand on his arm tore Kris from his thoughts. “Ice cream?”

“Yeah, come on, kid,” Kris said, reaching up to grasp Tao lightly by the elbow, before his fingertips slid slowly down the soft, smooth skin of Tao’s inner forearm to circle around his thin wrist instead. “My treat.”

Oh.” The tiny sound was almost unheard, before Tao stuttered out, “T-Thank you, ge.”

O.o o.O

The knock on his door was light, tentative. Kris sat up, unsure if he had just dreamed it. “Is someone outside?” he called out cautiously. 

“It’s me.” Tao cracked the door open. “Oh,” he said immediately, seeing the dark room. “Sorry, ge, go back to bed.”

“I wasn’t asleep yet,” Kris said, sitting up properly and turning on his bedside lamp. “What is it?”

“Sorry,” Tao said again, inching inside, panda held in front of himself protectively. “I didn’t think you’d be sleeping.”

“Just thought I’d turn in early,” Kris said, moving to lean against the wall and patting the space next to him. “Come here. What’s up?”

Tao crawled onto the bed, kicking off his plush slippers. “Just…missed home. Do you miss home, ge?” It was a conversation they’d had many times before; both of them were well familiar with it. 

“All the time,” Kris said, drawing Tao closer so that Tao rested his head on his shoulder, his hand steady against Tao’s hip. He pulled his comforter over Tao until it was just under Mr Panda’s face. “I miss my old friends. I miss the food.” His voice dropped. “I miss my family. All of them, even the ones I don’t get along with.”

“I just talked to my mama,” Tao said, relaxing against Kris. “It was a video call, but it’s not the same.”

Kris gave Tao a light squeeze. “It never is.”

“She says hi.” Tao wiggled slightly into a more comfortable position. “You can come stay with us, you know. For short holidays, when you don’t want to fly back all the way to Canada.”

A quick skip of Kris’ heart - “Thanks.”

There was long moment of silence, as Tao’s breathing turned slow and heavy, until Kris almost thought he had fallen asleep.

“Ge,” Tao began quietly. “Do you wonder what it would’ve been like, if you hadn’t come to Korea?”

“Sometimes.”

“Do you think you would’ve been in the same major?”

“Probably. Would you have studied something completely different?”

“I dunno. Maybe I would’ve studied film, or drama, and tried to be an actor like my xuezhang.”

At the mention of Tao’s high school senior, Kris couldn’t help clutching Tao tighter against himself, as if in consolation that Tao was still here, that Tao was still his. 

(For now.) 

“You liked him enough to chase after him like that?”

“No, ge.” Tao’s answer was almost masked by the rustle of sheets as he shifted. “I guess it’s just…it’s easier to do something outrageous like that when you’re at home, you know? With your family there, like a safety net.”

Kris ignored this in favour of asking, “Do you still having feelings for him? Your xuezhang?”

“I don’t…I don’t think so. I didn't even think of him for so long…until I saw him in that drama.”

That answered nothing. “Well…people like to say that first loves are never forgotten.”

At that, Tao stirred, lifting his head and turning to look at Kris, trepidation writ clear in his eyes. “Ge,” he whispered. “Ge, who was your first love?”

Kris didn’t answer right away, the two of them just looking at each other before Kris sighed, fingers tangling into Tao’s soft hair as he eased him back down into his previous position, head on Kris’ shoulder and snug against Kris’ side. “I haven’t had a first love yet,” he said, as he tucked back the blanket tightly around Tao, who lifted Mr Panda higher so its head was still above the covers. 

“I don’t believe you.” Tao’s pout was audible.

“Sometimes I thought it was, at first,” Kris said, resting his cheek against the top of Tao’s head.

“Why thought?”

“I guess I never liked any of them enough for it to count as a first love.”

“I don’t understand,” Tao said hesitantly.

“I liked them well enough, of course. There’s always that flutter of happiness that you get when you’re with someone you like.”

“Yeah,” Tao mumbled in agreement, nose brushing at the collar of Kris’ shirt, curled legs propped up against Kris’ thigh. 

“But there was never anything more.”

“What’s more?”

“I’m not sure,” Kris said slowly, pausing in thought. “Basic things, I guess, like always wanting to see them and spend time with them. Making time for them even though you’re busy. I guess that’s what you need for a first love.”

“That doesn’t seem like very much.”

“For a first love, that probably is enough. Real love should be a little different.”

“Like how?”

“I guess it’s even more. Like wanting them to be happy and worrying about their wellbeing. Wanting to be the best version of yourself, so that you’re worthy of them. Envisioning a life with them, and being unable to see a future without them in it.”

Tao hummed, and there was another lull as the two of them sat, the room quiet and still. Kris’s own eyes closed as well when Tao began to rest more heavily against him, limbs lax. But then Tao breathed out, “Ge,” low and hushed, just a sigh against Kris’ collarbones.

“Hm?”

“Ge…you’re really romantic.”

Kris didn’t answer. He knew there was no need, not when Tao was in the midst of falling asleep, words slurring together.

“It’d only be a dream…” Tao murmured, “…to be loved by you.”

Kris’ eyes flew open, heart pounding, and he turned his head down to look at Tao, whose face was mostly hidden by his fringe. “Tao?” he whispered, a beat too late. “Tao?”

“Mm,” Tao purred, burrowing deeper into Kris’ warm embrace, unresponsive otherwise.

Kris sighed, running a hand through his hair. He could have woken Tao then, could have shaken him awake and sent him back to his own room, like all those other times Tao had fallen asleep in his bed. 

He knew why he didn’t, but he didn’t want to think about it, not at all.

He sat there for a few long minutes, staring at Tao’s hand curled loosely on top of the covers. Hesitantly, as if moving any faster would wake him, Kris reached out to circle a hand around Tao’s wrist, which looked even more delicate encased by his long fingers. 

Tao’s skin was golden in the soft yellow light of the lamp, contrasting nicely with the red string bracelet he wore. There was a burger charm on it, and Kris knew it matched with Sehun’s fries charm. 

Friendship bracelets. Tao was still only just a child.

And yet, Kris let Tao sleep on, struggling somewhat awkwardly to shift him down the bed as gently as possible, making sure Mr Panda was tucked under his chin and secure in his grasp. The click of the lamp was almost too loud in the silence, and Kris settled onto his side, watching Tao breathe through parted lips, poking the tip of his index finger into Tao’s cheek, lowering then to push at the plush of Tao’s lower lip.

Another sigh, as Kris turned over onto his other side, closing his eyes firmly and willing sleep to come. 

It wouldn’t, not until it was almost dawn, sheer exhaustion finally granting him some respite.

O.o o.O

Tao roused as Kris was getting out of bed, feeling the shift of the mattress under him. “Hmm?”

“Shh. Go back to sleep,” Kris murmured, Tao’s hair away from his face. “I’ll set the alarm for your first class.” 

“Mmm.” Tao leaned into his touch, asleep once more.

There was some banging as Kris stumbled against his desk chair, yawning as he closed the bedroom door gently behind himself. He let his eyes slit closed as he brushed his teeth, peeking out from under his lashes just enough to not run into the wall as he made himself toast.

He had only gotten a couple hours of sleep last night - or rather, this morning. His head hurt and his eyes felt sandpaper dry even closed. But he didn’t even have the option of skipping; no, today the basketball team had morning practise, and Kris had responsibilities to keep as captain. It was fine, he could come back and catch a nap after.

“Hey,” Minseok whispered, “Making coffee. You want?”

Kris grunted, resting his head on one hand as he grimaced his way through the grating sounds of the coffee machine. 

“Here.” The sound of a cup being slid in front of him, and Kris grunted again in thanks.

He sipped the coffee in between bites of toast, face scrunched in a scowl as he took the occasional glance at the large clock on the wall. Eventually he sighed, stuffing the rest of his toast into his mouth and heading to Tao’s room.

“Aren’t you going to practice?” Minseok called.

“Yeah,” Kris answered, gaze lowered as he reemerged with Tao’s phone, going back into his own room to set the phone down on his nightstand and retrieve his gym bag.

Minseok was watching him as he closed his bedroom door, pulling it shut with only the softest click. 

“What’s with the look,” Kris snapped.

“What look?” Minseok asked sweetly. “Have a good practice.”

“ off.”

The sound of Minseok’s laughter saw him out the suite as Kris stomped off.

Conversely, Tao woke for real about an hour later, his phone blaring from its position on Kris’ nightstand and Tao reaching blindly to turn off the alarm. For a moment, Tao looked around himself and then back at his phone, confused. He had definitely left it on his desk last night. 

Tao clutched the phone against his chest, biting down on his lower lip to stifle a smile as he realised Kris must have fetched it and set the alarm just for him. 

No, he told himself. Kris was always thoughtful and always kind, this didn’t mean anything. 

It didn’t mean anything, but Tao would still allow himself this little bit of happiness, basking in the knowledge of Kris’ care. 

He left Kris’ bedroom to see Luhan and Minseok having breakfast, Luhan slumped over, head on the table as he chewed slowly on a slice of toast, but Minseok alert as he drank a cup of coffee, tapping absently at his laptop. 

“Morning, Peaches,” Minseok greeted.

“Uhhhhhh,” Luhan groaned around the toast.

“Good morning, Minseok-ge, Lu-ge.” Tao went to make himself some cereal.

“So,” Minseok said, just as Tao was pouring milk. “You slept with Kris last night?”

Tao jerked, splattering milk onto the counter and floor before whirling around, eyes huge. “Gege,” he gasped. “No!”

Minseok raised an eyebrow. “So it wasn’t his bedroom that you came out of just now?”

“It - it was, but -”

“And was it his bed that you slept in last night?”

“Well,” Tao began, a hot blush flooding across his cheeks as he turned resolutely away to mop up his spill. “I fell asleep when we were talking.”

The corner of Minseok’s lips lifted in a smile. “Yeah, I figured as much.”

“Gege,” Tao whined, sinking into a chair. “You made it sound so bad.”

“Would it be, though? So bad?”

Tao poked at his cereal, unable to meet Minseok’s steady gaze. “I…I don’t want to keep my hopes up,” he said instead. “Not for something that will never come.”

At that, even Luhan lifted his head, blinking away the sleep from his eyes as he straightened in his seat. “Baby Tao,” he began, but Tao cut him off with a smile.

“I’m happy now, gege,” he said. “I like the way things are now.”

“My baby is growing up,” Luhan said, but it lacked the humour he usually spoke with.

Tao lowered his head as he spooned himself a large bite of cereal, blinking away the sting of tears in his eyes as Minseok and Luhan kindly turned away and pretended they didn’t see.

O.o o.O

Yixing and Suho came out of Yixing’s bedroom, heading to the kitchen for snacks. “Oh, hey,” Suho said, as he went to make Yixing and himself some coffee. “Don’t you normally work in your room?”

“Needed a change,” Kris grunted, looking up from his laptop. And then paused. “What are you guys wearing?”

“Our study outfits,” Yixing said blandly, rifling through the cupboards for snacks. He was in a white unicorn onesie with pink accents, complete with pink tail and pink wings, whereas Suho was in a cream coloured lamb onesie, the hood of it pulled up.

“Your study outfits,” Kris repeated flatly. 

Suho sat down with two cups of espresso. “Yeah, we ordered them online.”

“What happened to your old study outfits?” Which were comparably more sane and Harry Potter themed. Although, flapping about in robes and rewriting all their notes in quill on parchment probably wasn’t anymore sane than whatever they were doing now.

“Needed a change,” Suho mimicked, opening a box of cookies as Yixing sat next to him with arms full of different snacks. “So how’s it going with Tao?”

Kris jerked reflexively, right as he was opening a pack of honey chips, bag tearing in two and sending a rain of chips onto the table. “How’s what? Who what?”

“With Tao,” Yixing repeated slowly, looking at Kris like he was an idiot. “Baby Tao. Our little baby peach. Our wee panda cub. Our tiny bundle of joy.”

“He’s taller than you,” was all Kris could think of to say.

Suho stared at him inscrutably over the rim of his espresso glass. “Well?” he prompted.

“I am not talking about this with you guys,” Kris said, turning back to his laptop and typing determinedly. 

“I know you’re not really working,” Suho said, after a long pause. “If you’re wondering, Tao went shopping with Sehun and Jongin.”

“I wasn’t.”

He was.

And from the way he could feel his face heating in a traitorous blush, Suho and Yixing knew it too.

Yixing smiled beguilingly. “Darling baby Tao. He and Sehunnie are so cute together, aren’t they.”

“They study together all the time too,” Suho said, sharing a look with Yixing. “Kinda like us.”

Kris snorted. “Study.”

“We should get them their own study outfits,” Yixing said, tapping against his chin thoughtfully. 

Suho tapped his chin also. “Maybe a set of couples pyjamas.”

Kris couldn’t help his splutter. “Couples - they’re not a couple!”

“For their special sleepovers,” Suho said, smiling widely, though it was more a smirk than anything. 

“Special sleepovers?” His heart dropped.

Suho held up a cookie to his lips. “Yeah. Special sleepovers.” There was a snap as he bit into it, eyebrow raised suggestively at Kris.

“That doesn’t mean anything,” Kris said resolutely.

“Who said it did?” There was a definite lilt to the corner of Suho’s lips, and next to him, Yixing stifled a laugh by stuffing a handful of chips into his mouth.

“I’m going to my room,” Kris said, closing his laptop and standing so abruptly his chair almost fell over.

Slamming his door shut didn’t make him feel any better, but anything would be better than the obvious taunting he was subjecting himself to outside.

He set down his laptop and sighed as he collapsed into bed. There was a partially covered lump under his covers, and Kris pulled it back to reveal a disgruntled Mr Panda.

Kris stared at it, thinking about Tao, about Sehun, thinking about Tao with Sehun. He didn’t want to think about Tao with anyone, but he knew it would happen eventually, one way or another.

What should I do, Mr Panda?

Mr Panda just stared back, seriously unimpressed.

Kris almost felt like confronting it until he realised that, dude, it was a stuffed animal.

O.o o.O

“Jongdae-hyung.” Tao sidled into Jongdae’s room, narrowly avoiding a stack of notes on the floor that reached his knee. “Hyung, have you seen my panda?”

“Hmm.” Jongdae looked up from his array of terrifyingly thick textbooks, glasses sliding down his nose and a furrow on his brow. “Can’t say I have. Have you checked all the bedrooms?”

“I had a peek.” Tao sat down gingerly on the edge of Jongdae’s bed. “I don’t think he’s here.”

“Hmm,” Jongdae said again, typing quickly on his phone. “Let’s see if anyone’s seen him. Have you checked K suite?”

“No one answered.” Tao twisted his fingers together nervously. “I don’t know how to pick the lock.”

“Well,” Jongdae said, standing up from his desk and stretching briefly. “Luckily for you, I do.” He reached over to pinch Tao’s nose. “Come on, baby Tao. Let’s go hunting in K.”

Jongdae didn’t even stop for supplies, just led Tao straight to the front door of K suite before brandishing a long pin out of nowhere.

Tao gasped. “Hyung, where did -”

“A magician never reveals his secrets.” Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows, bending over slightly as he wiggled the pin into the lock. “Just gimme a few seconds…wait for it…wait for it…”

The door swung open suddenly, Jongdae toppling forward onto the ground. “Are you guys trying to pick the lock again?” Kyungsoo asked crisply. 

Jongdae gave his best smile from the floor. “No?”

Kyungsoo folded his arms.

“Okay yes, but there was a legit reason!”

“And what is this legit reason.” Kyungsoo’s glare sharpened. “And if you say ‘food’, I swear to god I’ll -”

“We’re looking for Mr Panda!”

Kyungsoo looked over at Tao then, unfolding his arms and waving them in. “Come in, then. I’ll help.”

“Thank you, hyung!” Tao slung both arms over Kyungsoo, who shuffled them towards the first bedroom on the left, Tao clinging to him like an oversized backpack.

“It’s probably not in mine,” Kyungsoo said, pushing open the door. “If it is here, they’re gonna be in for the -kicking of their life.” 

Kyungsoo really didn’t like people touching his stuff.

Tao circled the room, looking under the bed and inside the closet. “Not here,” he said sadly.

Next was Jongin’s. The door was wide open, the bed unmade and covers spilling over onto the floor. Jongdae was the one that went through the little heaps of clothing, while Kyungsoo pulled the comforter off the floor and looked under the bed. Tao poked his head into Jongin’s closet, before going to stand in front of Jongin’s overflowing laundry basket. 

“Hyung…” He could feel tears stinging in his eyes. “Do you think he’s hidden in here?”

Kyungsoo wrinkled his nose. “Hold on.” He went back to his room for a ruler before coming back and shovelling his way into the basket. “Nope.”

A deep sigh from Tao, shoulders immediately relaxing. “Next room?” he asked hopefully.

Like Jongdae’s, Chanyeol’s room was stuffed to the brim with notes and scary looking textbooks. There were piles of paper and books on the floor, on the bed, on the dresser stacked under bottles of cologne and skincare, and Chanyeol had bought an extra bookshelf, the shelves curved under the weight of the thick tomes. Unlike Jongdae’s, Chanyeol had his beloved teddies lined up along his bed and spread out across the room, but there was no panda to be found amongst them.

Kyungsoo and Tao waited in the doorway, not wanting to move anything out of place, leaving Jongdae to circle the room because Chanyeol also didn’t like people touching his stuff. 

“Not here.”

The first room on the other end of the suite was Baekhyun’s, and in contrast to everyone’s room so far - and in complete contrast to his own bubbly personality - this room was the most sterile Tao had ever seen belonging to anyone, ever. The bed was made to military standards, all sharp corners with not a wrinkle in sight. The same loose papers that had been stacked in Jongdae’s and Chanyeol’s rooms were labelled and tabbed in colour-coded binders - even the stationery on the desk was set at precise angles.

Jongdae grabbed a bundle excitedly. “Hey! This was exactly what I needed!”

Kyungsoo just stared. “Put that down. Or at least text so he’ll know you’ve taken it.”

“Nah, it’ll just be for, like, five minutes. Be right back.” Jongdae danced out, grabbing another folder along the way. 

Kyungsoo just smirked as he pulled out his phone. “Baekhyun’s getting some snacks downstairs,” he explained as he texted. “Just enough time for him to come back and give Jongdae hell.”

Tao just nodded, distracted. Where was Mr Panda?

Sehun had the middle room on this side of the suite, cluttered enough to be just shy of a mess, though his bed was made perfectly, a single stuffed animal tucked in and covers pulled up to its chin. Tao sank onto Sehun’s bed when there was no panda to be found anywhere. 

“Hyung,” he said despondently, down the face of Sehun’s plushie with his index finger. “What if he’s gone forever?”

“We still have Suho’s room left,” Kyungsoo said. “Come on.”

Suho’s door was halfway open, and it was the biggest mess ever. 

“Huh,” Kyungsoo said. “I thought his cleaner was in yesterday.”

Tao just blinked at the absolute chaos of Suho’s things, like a tornado had recently torn through the room. It wasn’t just messy, it was downright dirty - there was a giant mountain of empty water bottles in one corner of the room, unwashed dishes laid even on his bed, and half-eaten snack packets everywhere. A box of cereal had topped over on his bookshelf, flakes sprinkled atop the heap of clothing on the ground. Scrolls and scrolls of parchment were strewn around the room, some crumpled under the weight of other things, and some balanced precariously on top of other things. Textbooks, both closed and open, were hanging off the edges of his desk, his shelves, peeking out from a half-closed closet door, kicked haphazardly under his bed. A few open tubes of glitter paint were a congealed mess on his desk and chair, and his overflowing rubbish bin had garbage spilling out of it…right onto a mound of designer clothing and shoes. Tao winced at the sneaker entwined with a white sweater, grey marks visible even from a distance. There was clothing flung everywhere, and there was absolutely no way to tell if they were clean or not.

But!

When Tao carefully stepped in the designated foot holes (?) and lifted Suho’s blanket to uncover a suspiciously familiar lump, Mr Panda was sitting right there. It was covered in crumbs and dust bunnies, but it was there, and Tao hugged it to himself. “Hyung! Hyung, we found him!” 

“Good job. Watch your step,” Kyungsoo said, hand outstretched when Tao wobbled slightly as he stepped back through the insanity that was Suho’s room.

Tao stood in the middle of K suite, too enthralled with dusting off Mr Panda’s fur to notice that the front door had slammed open, Baekhyun wrestling with Jongdae as he screamed “You mothering thief, I told you my notes were off limits!”

“Aaaaand, I’m off.” Kyungsoo spun on his heel, going back into his room and closing the door. 

Jongdae was screaming right back, hitting Baekhyun in the face with the binder and folder he had swiped from Baekhyun’s room. “They’re just the ing printouts from the ing lecture!”

“They’re still mine!”

“And I was just borrowing them, you , there was no intention to permanently deprive!”

“You can permanently deprive your , because I’m gonna tear you a new one!” Baekhyun clawed at Jongdae, who threw the notes off to the side to fight back. Unfortunately, the folder carried loose papers that rained out in a flurry of white, and the binder was so large and so heavy that the weight of its fall tore out a few stray pages, the metal rings bending awkwardly out of shape. Baekhyun let out a huge shriek. “You piece of YOU BROKE IT!”

“IT’S ING PAPER YOU CAN STICK IT BACK TOGETHER.”

Baekhyun screamed again. “REDO MY NOTES, !”

“Uh, guys, we can hear you from the elevators,” Chanyeol said, stood just outside the open front door. Just behind him was Kris, who saw Tao picking at Mr Panda, oblivious to the fighting and screaming.

Kris inched in, sidling up to Tao. “Hey.”

Tao looked up, wide eyes crinkling into a sweet smile. “Hi, ge.”

“What are you doing?” 

“I couldn’t find Mr Panda, but it turns out he was in Suho-hyung’s room! But now he’s got crumbs on him,” Tao said sadly, looking down at Mr Panda.

“Hm. We can clean him,” Kris said, swiping a few stray crumbs from the back of Mr Panda’s head.

Just then, Jongdae screeched, “THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SECRET!” before leaping onto Chanyeol’s back to strangle him in a chokehold and causing him to stumble unsteadily, slipping on the papers still scattered over the ground.

“STOP RUINING MY NOTES, YOU ERS.”

“YOU’RE THE ONE PUTTING TAO’S IN MY ROOM!” Chanyeol shouted back, and Kris looked up sharply at the mention of Tao.

“I PUT IT IN ING SUHO’S ROOM,” Baekhyun screamed.

“YOU TOOK TAO’S PANDA?” And now Kris had gravitated over also, grabbing Baekhyun by the collar to try and shake him. 

But an angry Baekhyun was a deceptively strong Baekhyun, and he bent Kris’ arm back at a painful angle. “I TOOK IT FROM YOUR ROOM, WHY THE DID YOU HAVE IT ANYWAY.”

Kris found himself twisted awkwardly with Baekhyun as he tried to wrangle him into submission. “YOU STILL SHOULDN’T HAVE TAKEN IT.”

Baekhyun was finally down for the count, but his lungs most certainly weren’t. “YEAH WELL WHAT THE DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH YOU.”

(Across the hall, Minseok and Luhan nodded at each other over the sound of screaming that was mostly unfiltered through the thin walls. “Adoption,” they agreed, bumping fists.)

Tao ignored the mayhem, happily picking off the last few crumbs before giving Mr Panda a big hug.

Reunited at last. 

O.o o.O

/Part 17

O.o o.O

 

A/N: Thank you so much to all the readers, commenters, subscribers, and upvoters!!! It makes me so happy to know you're enjoying the story. I am the worst updater ever, so thank you for being so patient with me!!