K for Kidnapped

No One Puts Baby In A Corner

A/N: Thank you to everyone reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting!!!! You keep this story going :D

Warning: Some swearing.

Edit 22/3/2014: Changed the title a tiny bit :D

Continues from last chapter.

O.o o.O

Tao woke up when strong arms lifted him from the sofa, and he cuddled Mr Panda closer into the warmth as hushed voices surrounded him.

“Is he asleep?”

“Shh, don’t wake him!”

“Poor baby, he must be so tired.”

“Aw, baby Tao looks so cute!”

“Look at Peaches with his baby.”

“Kris, bend over a bit, the angle’s a bit off.”

“Stop taking pictures!”

“Hey Kris, just turn a little bit to the right -”

“You guys are going to wake him!” The solid warmth against Tao’s cheek rumbled, and he turned his face further into it.

“Because shouting into his ear wouldn’t.”

“Shut up.”

Nothing was really registering in his brain, but he realised he was being lowered onto his soft mattress when he felt cool sheets against his skin. Immediately, he rolled over onto his side, tucking Mr Panda under his chin. He faintly registered a pair of hands tucking his blanket around him, the whispering never quite stopping.

“Hey, Kris is blushing!”

“Seriously, the flash is going to wake him.”

“Poor baby, he’s had such a long day.” A cool hand smoothed Tao’s fringe away from his forehead, and then there was a smack.

“You’ll wake him,” came Kris’ stern voice.

“I’ll let that one go. For now. I have something to talk to you about. Everyone out.” The distinctly authoritative tone to Suho’s voice didn’t go unnoticed by the rest, and Tao heard them all file out of his bedroom before the light was switched off and his door shut with a gentle click.

O.o o.O

The next day was Saturday, and no one had to be up except for Kris, who had basketball practice late in the morning. But because Tao had fallen asleep only hours into last night’s festivities (drunken revelry), he was the only one sober and awake when ten-thirty rolled around, carefully piling together a huge sandwich for himself at the kitchen counter.

Mr Panda sat on the table, watching quietly as Tao tried unsuccessfully to fit his mouth over his sandwich half. It wasn’t until Tao reached for the second half of his five-tier monstrosity that the first sign of life came in the form of a blaring alarm clock and muffled swearing. Tao abruptly stopped chewing when the door to Kris’ room swung open, the man himself filling the doorway and glowering as he squinted out into the suite.

It took several long seconds before Kris registered Tao at the table, and he grunted in greeting before trudging off to the bathroom, presumably to drown himself in the sink if the racket was any indication.

Tao immediately abandoned his sandwich, putting the kettle on and opening the cupboards for some instant miso soup. A few moments later the bathroom door slammed open, and Tao turned, clutching a bowl tightly. “Ge,” he said. “Sit down, I’ll make you some soup for your hangover.”

Kris stared at him, eyebrows furrowed and scowl ever-present. “It’s fine,” he said, voice rough. “No need to bother.”

“It’s not a bother,” Tao said, already turning around to mix the packet into the boiling water.

Kris sighed loudly, running a hand through his messy hair. “Seriously. I’m running late anyway.”

“But -” But he wasn’t, and they both knew it; there was at least ten minutes until Kris had to leave for practice.

“It’s okay, Tao,” Kris said, picking up the duffle bag he had left by the door last night. “I’ll see you later.”

“Bye,” Tao said, unheard as the door slammed shut.

O.o o.O

When Kris returned from basketball practice, he found Tao sitting in the hallway in front of the bathroom, curled up into a ball with his knees pulled up to his chest.

“Oh, ge. You’re back.”

“Yes,” Kris said slowly, kicking his duffle bag off to the side. “What are you doing on the floor?”

Tao ducked his head, a faint blush colouring his cheeks. “There was a ghost,” he murmured.

“A what.”

“A ghost,” Tao repeated. “In the bathroom.”

“So use the other one,” Kris said, sounding exasperated.

“Well...”

Kris gave a harsh sigh. “Well what.”

“Someone threw up last night...and they didn’t exactly make it to the toilet.”

“So what,” Kris asked. “Are you waiting for the ghost to leave?”

Tao shook his head. “I was waiting for someone to wake up so they can go with me.”

“Are you ing serious?” Kris strode over, pushing the bathroom door open and flipping on the lights. “There’s nothing in here,” he said, yanking roughly at the shower curtain. “See? Nothing.”

Tao’s lips thinned, and his jaw tensed as he stood slowly from the floor, hands curled into fists at his sides. “There was a ghost,” Tao said stubbornly. “I saw it.”

“Jesus ing Christ, Tao, there’s no such thing as ghosts. Just grow up, will you?  You’re not a ing child anymore,” Kris said, massaging his temples.

There was a short pause before Tao replied. “I understand. My apologies.” He gave a perfunctory bow before spinning on his heel and entering his room. He exited a few seconds later with his stuffed panda in tow, and Kris sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“Tao. You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

Tao paused with his hand on the front door. “I know. I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“Tao, for ’s sake.”

The door shut with a quiet click.

O.o o.O

“Well, this is certainly a rare sight,” Baekhyun said, husky voice deepened with sleep as he entered the K suite kitchen to find Tao sitting there by himself with his stuffed panda in his lap. “What’s up, baby Tao?”

“Something wrong?” Chanyeol asked, pulling out a chair for Baekhyun as he went to fix them their daily dose of caffeine (courtesy of Suho’s Nespresso machine).

Tao shook his head, throat tight and somehow unable to form any words. If he spoke, he would cry, he just knew it. His fingers dug deep into the sides of Mr Panda, clutching him tight against his stomach.

“Hey, Panda-boo,” Baekhyun said, patting Mr Panda on the head. “Didn’t expect to see you here with Tao.” His eyes darted up at Tao before glancing over at Chanyeol, one eyebrow arching in question.

Chanyeol shrugged surreptitiously before sitting at the table, sliding an espresso over to Baekhyun. “What’s wrong, Tao? Tell your hyung.”

Tao shook his head again, blinking hard at the stinging behind his eyes. His lips pressed into a thin line, and the tears retreated after a deep breath.

Baekhyun exchanged another glance with Chanyeol before leaning against Tao’s side, resting his head on Tao’s shoulder and pitching his voice about an octave higher as he wriggled in his seat. “Aw, baby, you won’t talk to hyungie?”

Even Mr Panda wanted to wince at Baekhyun’s display of aegyo, but he was silent as Tao squeezed him so tightly he almost burst at the seams.

But it did get Tao to speak. “Nothing,” he said. “I just came to use your bathroom. It’s nothing.”

“Oh, did Jongdae throw up in yours again?” Chanyeol laughed.

Baekhyun kicked his shin under the table. “What’s wrong with the second one?”

“There was a ghost.”

“Hmm,” Baekhyun said, tapping his chin. “Shall your Chanyeol-hyung and I go do some ghostbusting?”

Tao shook his head. “No. We’ll disturb Kris-hyung.”

Chanyeol and Baekhyun exchanged another look; they had never heard Tao refer to Kris with Korean honourifics before.

“Then it’s decided,” Baekhyun said, clapping his hands. “You’re just going to have to stay here until the ghost is gone.”

“May I?” Tao shifted his panda higher, trying to hide his face behind it.

“Of course,” Chanyeol said. “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Okay,” Tao said, words muffled in his stuffed animal. “Thank you.”

“Don’t even. What sort of hyungs would we be if we allowed our baby Tao to return to a dorm with a ghost?” Baekhyun pinched Tao’s cheek. “Now, are you hungry or do you want a nap first?”

Tao shook his head. “Anything is fine.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared a raised eyebrow. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

O.o o.O

“What’s happening?” Sehun asked, trudging out of his bedroom, rubbing his eyes sleepily. “Why are we singing?”

“Come join the party, Sehun-ah!” Baekhyun called, and Sehun squinted blearily at the mass of blankets and pillows on the floor of their living room. “We’re doing a Disney Princess marathon.”

“Go Cinder-elly,” Chanyeol hummed, waving a child’s fairy wand around. Sehun just stared at the pink, glittering monstrosity, unable to fathom a response. Between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Tao sat quietly with his panda, completely immersed in the film even as ribbons from the fairy wand hit him in the face.

“Come on, Sehun-ah, don’t be such a downer.” And Baekhyun proceeded to sing along to the movie at the top of his lungs, Chanyeol beatboxing along, and even Tao bobbed his head in time with the music.

Sehun blinked at them, brain slowly trying to make sense of what was happening. Then he decided he really didn’t care, yawning as he padded over to slip himself between Tao and Baekhyun, curling up to nod off once more.

O.o o.O

“Ah, Peaches,” Minseok said, the front door bouncing off the wall when it was kicked open. “You’re here. Good.”

Tao looked up from the dining table, cheeks rounded with food. “???”

“Heeeeey,” Baekhyun greeted. “Have some pizza!”

“Have a seat, hyung,” Chanyeol called.

Sehun ignored everyone and continued eating.

Minseok shrugged, kicked the door shut behind him. “Sure, why not.” He pulled his phone out as he sat down. “Hey, found him. He’s at K.”

Tao could hear Luhan shouting even through the phone, though the words were incomprehensible.

Minseok rolled his eyes. “Hey, I can’t help that you’re all a bunch of dumbs. Peace.” And promptly hung up on Luhan’s screaming.

“Why are you guys looking for Tao?” Baekhyun asked, as Chanyeol went to fetch a cup of soda for Minseok.

“Yeah, well you know Yixing said he was gonna go play some basketball with Tao today and when he couldn’t find him he decided that Tao was kidnapped and sent all of us out to look for him. By the way, you left your phone on your desk.”

Tao felt horrible. “I’m sorry, Minseok-hyung.” He looked down, shoulders drooping.

“Hey, Peaches, don’t worry about it, okay?” Minseok said, ruffling Tao’s hair. “You’re here and safe and that’s all that matters.”

The front door banged open again, this time revealing a heaving Luhan. “Baby Tao!” he shouted, running over and grabbing Tao by the shoulders. “Oh, my poor baby, you had your ge so worried!”

Yixing trailed in before closing the door. “Hey, baby Tao. Who kidnapped you?”

“Um. No one kidnapped me,” Tao said, words muffled by Luhan’s hug.

“Oh hey, pizza,” Yixing said, sitting down and helping himself to a slice.

“Hyung, I wanted that!”

“I’ll share with you then, Sehunnie,” Yixing said placidly, taking a huge bite.

“You’re eating all of it!”

“We need more food,” Chanyeol decided, waving his phone. “I’m gonna order chicken, everyone decide what you want now.”

They all called out different orders, but Tao stayed quiet, nibbling at his pizza.

“We didn’t know what happened to you,” Luhan said, and that was when Tao noticed his hair was sticking up in all directions. “We were all still sleeping when Yixing said you were kidnapped, so everyone just panicked.”

Minseok snorted. “Don’t even try to excuse yourself. You’re all just dumbs. Seriously, I can’t believe you just ran out the door without even thinking he would be here. We’re here all the ing time.”

“Not all of us are as heartless as you, Minseokkie,” Luhan said, scowling. “Some of us were really worried. Kris was -” He caught himself just in time, sitting back and coughing into his fist. “There could have been a dirty old ert that kidnapped our innocent baby!”

“I’m sorry,” Tao said quietly.

“Don’t be,” Luhan said. “Anyway, Jongdae didn’t even make it out of bed before he started vomiting again. What did he have yesterday?”

Minseok shook his head with a sigh. “I told him not to buy that dodgy looking vodka. Who even sells liquor in those mouldy plastic bottles with the old labels ripped off?”

Tao wrinkled his nose. “Ew.”

“Yeah, that’s what I said.” Minseok shrugged. “Of course he just had to buy one when I said it wouldn’t be a good idea.”

“He’s just stubborn like that. Even if you -”

All conversation came to an abrupt stop when Yixing came across a huge find in the fridge. “Ice cream!”

And all hell broke loose.

O.o o.O

Tao was snuggled up on the sofa with Suho when Kris entered K suite.

“Tao,” he said sternly. “I need to talk to you.”

Eyes wide, Tao tried to make himself smaller against Suho’s side when Kris strode over, looming over the two of them. “Hyung,” he squeaked. “What’s wrong?”

Suho glared. “Go away, Kris. We’re busy.”

“You’re watching Dragonball,” Kris said flatly.

“Yeah, and Goku is about to go Super Saiyan so would you kindly piss off,” Suho said, waving him away.

Kris stood off to the side, but refused to leave. “Tao,” he said again warningly.

“Yes?”

“You can watch this later. I need to talk to you.”

Suho held Tao tight around the shoulders. “You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” he said quietly, as he and Kris exchanged hard stares.

“It’s okay,” Tao said, removing himself from Suho’s embrace and gathering his panda in his arms. “It’s getting late; I should be sleeping soon anyway.”

“If you’re sure,” Suho said. He stood to smooth back Tao’s fringe from his forehead. “Sweet dreams. Come to hyung if you need anything, okay?”

Tao nodded. “Good night, hyung.”

He followed Kris back into their own dorm, where only Jongdae and Minseok were watching television in the living room, Luhan and Yixing still at K suite.

“Hey, Peaches.”

“Baby Tao,” Jongdae greeted, still looking pale. “You’re back.”

“Yes, hyung. Are you feeling better?”

Jongdae winced. “Actually -”

“Talk later, we’re busy,” Kris said, large hand firm on Tao’s shoulder as he steered him towards Tao’s bedroom.

He closed Tao’s door behind him as Tao stood in the middle of his room, holding his panda tight as if that would give him extra strength to face Kris.

“Sit down,” Kris said, and Tao sat stiffly on his bed as Kris took his desk chair. “Look, Tao. I’m sorry for what happened this afternoon. I had just been reamed out by Coach and was in a pissy mood and I shouldn’t have taken it out on you but I did. I’m sorry.”

Tao nodded. “Yes, I understand.”

They lapsed into silence.

“Then why did you stay at K all day today? You didn’t even come back for dinner.”

“We were playing.”

When no further explanation was forthcoming, Kris sighed. “Okay. Fine. Just...don’t be afraid to look for me if you need anything, okay? Ghosts, bugs, whatever. Okay?”

Tao nodded. “Okay.”

O.o o.O

Jongdae had cleaned the second bathroom, even through his horrible hangover (he took breaks in between to vomit), but there was the faint smell of bleach and disinfectant that remained lingering in the air.

Mr Panda sat on the counter next to Tao’s pyjamas, and Yixing strummed his guitar where he sat on the closed lid of the toilet. “I thought Baekhyun and Chanyeol already exorcised your bathroom.”

“Just in case, ge,” Tao said, splashing noisily behind the shower curtain.

No worries, baby, my baby, your big brother will protect you,” Yixing sang, and even though Tao thought the lyrics were a bit odd, the melody was quite catchy.

“Ge,” Tao giggled. “You’re silly.”

Oh, baby Tao, my baby,” Yixing crooned. “Scrub yourself peachy clean, your big brother is here to scare the ghosts away.

The door was eased only halfway shut, and Jongdae joined them, leaning on the frame. “Oh, peachy Tao, bathing in a haunted bath, do you taste peachy too?

Silence.

“Ge, I’m scared.”

Yixing gave a rare frown at Jongdae as he set aside his guitar and stood next to the bathtub. “It’s okay, Tao. Ge is here.”

“Sorry, baby Tao!” Jongdae disappeared in a flash.

Tao reached out with a wet hand, clasping Yixing’s own tightly. “Ge,” he said again, voice trembling.

“It’s okay, Tao. Are you almost done?”

Tao sniffed. “No.”

“What do you have left?”

“I’ve only washed my hair.”

Yixing squeezed Tao’s hand. “You can do it.”

“What’s going on here? What did Jongdae do?” Yixing turned to see Kris entering with a dark scowl.

“His big fat mouth is what happened,” Yixing said.

“Who is it?” Tao asked shrilly. “Ge, who is it?”

“It’s Kris.” He looked at Yixing holding Tao’s hand through the curtain. “Is that really necessary?”

Yixing stared at him like he was crazy. “Uh. Yeah?”

Kris curled his lip until it was just shy of a sneer. “Tao, how much longer will you be?”

“Don’t rush me!” It sounded as if Tao had knocked over the entire rack of bath products into the tub.

“Don’t listen to him, baby. Just don’t fall and hurt yourself.”

“Okay,” Tao replied in a tiny voice.

Yixing and Kris stood there as Tao splashed away on the other side of the curtain, Yixing holding tight onto Tao’s hand and Kris staring daggers at it.

Eventually, the water shut off and the curtain was pushed back to reveal Tao with a towel around his hips. “Ge~,” he began plaintively, but stopped when he realised Kris was still standing there. “Oh. Um.”

“Get dressed before you catch a cold,” Yixing said, completely unruffled. “Look, Mr Panda is waiting for you.”

Tao darted a quick look at Kris before reaching for his clothing and shimmying into them hastily, the fabric catching on his damp skin. He reached for Mr Panda as soon as he was done, towel around his neck as he held onto Yixing once more. “Ge, can you sit with me while I dry my hair?”

“Sure,” Yixing said.

“I can do it,” Kris said, as Yixing reached for his guitar.

“Thank you for offering,” Tao said, not looking at him and squeezing his panda tight. “But it’s okay; Yixing-ge isn’t busy.”

Kris could only stand as Tao and Yixing brushed past him, inexplicable anger flushing his cheeks in a mortified blush.

O.o o.O

/Part 10

O.o o.O