Chapter Seven

Imprinted Signature

 

7

 

“What do you think you are doing?”

Mike asked as Aaron took out his bag, stuffing clothes into it roughly as he stared at him, wondering what he was doing. “I am going to find her. He whispered as he dug into his closet. “What makes you think you can? She can be anywhere! You don’t know what she looks like and where they could be. If you ask me, they could be packing their bags and going deeper into hiding since I managed to find them.”

“I don’t care, I’m going to find her no matter what it takes.”

“You could get yourself killed if you go out there!”

“Are you saying that I’m not like you? I won’t be able to find her like how you found Wu Chen? I admit, I’m not the best when it comes to scavenger hunts, but this time, I want to try. I’m going and that’s it, nothing will stop me.”

“Even if I lock the doors and throw the keys away?”

“Yes.” Acknowledging his determination, Mike reached into his back pocket, taking out his wallet. He took out a black shiny card with silver numbers and handing him a white box in addition. “In case of emergency.” Aaron stared at the card, glancing at the numbers carefully. “I knew you were going to act like this so I have this prepared, this number will be your angel in disguise. And with this phone, any calls coming in or out will not be, no, calls on this device cannot be traced. The calls would be just ‘unknown’ and  of course, no one can trace you. And lastly, even though we’re not blood-related, I still know what you’re thinking off and as crazy as it sounds, I am going to support you 100%.”

Aaron nodded, “Aren’t you coming? It might be better if you come so that you can be a diversion.” He scoffed at the thought of being bait, “I prefer to be the hero but I shall step out of the spotlight and allow you to become the hero you always wanted to be.”

Aaron laughed as he zipped the bag, hanging it over his shoulders as he chuckles. “And one last thing.” Aaron look over to him, “Be careful.” He whispered quietly as Aaron chuckled before walking out of the room, walking past his father who stopped a couple of seconds later to find Aaron walking out, with his sunglasses on but that wasn’t what stopped him. It was that smile that was on his face, when he turned around to walk up the stairs, he found his son at the top.

“Don’t tell me, I wish to not know what you guys are scheming.” He whispered as he suddenly stopped and looked up at Mike. “I have a project overseas, I’m leaving tomorrow morning so do me a favour and keep this house calm and orderly.” Mike nodded as he walked away with his assistant.

 

 

................

 

 

Aaron parked on the other side of the road, taking out his wallet before noticing that something fell from his wallet. He quickly picked it up to find himself looking at the picture he took with Wu Ying Jie at his 16th birthday party. He leaned back and closed his eyes. As he did, his mind pushed his thoughts back for a moment of silence and pulled him back, into his memories.

 

Flashback

 

7 years ago

Once the bell rang through the hallways, the thing that everyone would be thinking of was ‘time to go home.’ Sine Aaron always waited for Ying Jie and Hebe since they always walked home together, he stood by the gate and waited. He knew Ying Jie would come out first but unusual as it was, Hebe came out with her group of friends.

“Where’s Ying Jie?”

Hebe looked around and saw no sign of her. Aaron shrugged, asking her to wait so that he could check if she probably went home already. Hebe nodded as she continued to chat with her friends, like Aaron, there was a feeling lingering inside her that worried her. She felt it was best if she stayed in one place as Aaron went to find out to see if his thoughts were just feelings or they were a warning.

As Aaron worked his way upstairs to where Yin gJie’s last period was, he planned on opening the door to look if anyone was still there but once he came close to a close distance, he could hear the doors open and Ying Jie ran out, crying. He quickly ran over to her, pulling her into an embrace as she continue to cry in his arms.

They stood there for a moment until she calmed down.

Are you okay? What happened?”

He whispered as he stared at the room she came out, wondering if it has something to do with it.

“You know I care about you right? I won’t let anything hurt you...”

He continue to whisper quietly to her, hoping it would give her security.

When they slowly pulled away, she wiped her tears with her sleeve and attempt to smile. “I–I– I’m okay...”

She whispered as he suddenly walked over to the room, but he stopped when she held his arm, telling him it was okay and that they should go before she worries Hebe. He could only listen and pull Ying Jie with him as he took one last glance at the room. Wondering if he was over-thinking things or if his gut feeling was right. Whatever it was, he hoped his fear of being right was wrong.

When Aaron walked out with Ying Jie, Hebe ran over and hugged her.

“WHAT HAPPENED? WHY DID YOU COME SO LATE?”

Ying Jie forced a smile and squeezed Aaron’s hand.

“I stayed behind to look for my book... Sorry if I worried you Jie.”

She said, trying to feel confident.

Aaron stared at his hand and Ying Jie’s, still wondering what has happened to make her act the way she did earlier. The Ying Jie that he knew and like was always cheerful and out-going, she wouldn’t cry. Well, maybe someone close to her had said their goodbyes but today was just a sunny day.

 

So what happened that made her feel like this?

 

It wasn’t till news broke out in the boy’s locker room. Aaron wasn’t the type of boy that stood out like the other kids did, Alan became the center of attention while Aaron remained as your average, normal guy. Even though people knew he was Mike’s younger brother, they didn’t pay any special attention to it since Aaron gave the feeling that he wanted nothing to do with it.

When he walked in the boy’s locker room, all he kept hearing was the lame tradition to decide who was worthy of being popular and who wasn’t, lame. He walked out of the change room, feeling unnecessary for him to be there, just in time to miss them talk about their target. But it wasn’t until when he walked into his class that he overheard people gossiping, of course, he paid no attention to it. However, the news came to him when his friends started talking about it, and the name had accidentally slipped out.

His felt like ripping someone’s head out once he heard the news. Scratch that, he was going to do damage.

So once lunch came, Aaron had already left the room in a hurry, his blood boiled as his mind replayed Ying Jie’s crying face over and over again, till his mind couldn’t control his anger. Luckily for him, Alan was already at the table waiting for his buddies to join him, unaware what was going to happen.

The quiet student that teachers and everyone saw him as, he became different.

Who was the one who started the fight? Aaron Yan Ya Lun started it.

Who was the one who made him like this? Qiu Ao Long began it. 

So who will be the one to end it?

 

End of Flashback

 

“Where are you?” He stared at the photo he took with Ying Jie before they went into hiding. “... I want to see you again.”

 

 

................

 

 

 

“Hi, excuse me.” The lady over the counter turned to look at a handsome man in front of her, he quickly showed her a picture of Ying Jie. “Have you seen this girl?” When she responded with a ‘no’, he felt his spirit shaking a bit but he knew that this was how it was going to be, this wasn’t a scavenger hunt, it was like finding a needle in a haystack. So in the end, Aaron quickly thanked her for her time and ran out the door.

When the door shut tight, the lady’s husband walked out with a grave expression. She sent him a signal and immediately, he went back and took out an phone. Luckily, it was a number that can’t be tracked, so he quickly dialed the number, gave a quick response and cut the line.

When he walked back out, his wife flew past him as she sat down on the couch, recovering from the shock as she heard her husband whisper something.

“I’m sorry for pulling you into this.”

“What nonsense are you talking about? I’m your wife, I should support you but my acting wasn’t good so I did what I can. Hopefully we gave them enough time... Geez, it was quiet up until I hear it again. I thought no one was catching up, who knew...” The man took his wife’s hands and smiled. Dear, thank you for helping my friend out.”

“You owe me one honey.” She whispered as he kissed her on the forehead. “Stay back and rest, I will take care of the front for now.” He stated as he closed the door behind him.

 

 

................

 

 

Mr. Wu looked at his daughters who fell asleep in each other’s arm, holding onto each other as he brought tucked them in quietly. Making sure he did not wake them, he slowly made his way out the room, closing the door behind him before taking one last look at them.

Uncle Wu cleared his throat, signalling him to go into a room. He closed the door and rubbed his temples.

“What’s wrong?”

He asked, afraid of what he was going to say if anything was wrong. “I think we need to relocate soon... I don’t know, there’s something in my gut that has been feeling uneasy. I think it’s better to be on the safe side and erase our tracks while we still can.”

Again? Just when my girls start getting used to the place?”

Uncle Wu nodded with a stern expression.

“I’m afraid so. Haven’t you felt uneasy? We have been here for more than 3 months and it’s quiet... It’s suspicious. Don’t you think?”

Somewhere deep down, Mr. Wu knew where he was getting at. 3 months without talk about the Wu’s, he thought everyone must’ve forgotten and moved on but this isn’t an easy matter to forget, especially if it involves activities associated with gangs and forbidden experiments. He hate to admit it but this time, it might be time again.

Just then, the phone rang which alarmed the two men but with a calm mind, Uncle Wu answered it, heard what the caller had to say and quickly ended the call. He turned to look at Mr. Wu who nodded, as he walked out of the room in a hurry. Afraid of losing a quarter or a second that time had to offer them, it was now or never.