Chapter Thirty-Five

Imprinted Signature

 

 

35

 

You have to learn the rules of the game—

and then you have to play better than anyone else.

Dianne Feinstein

 

 

 

“We still have two hours, let’s go.”

He stopped her from getting out of the car. He took his jacket off and handed it to her before she got out. She smiles, taking in its warmth before they both got out of the car. After the party, she wanted something sweet to end the night off. They walked into Belle Fleur, home to some ah-mazing cupcakes. After scanning through the dozens selections, she settled on hers as she walked over to the window seat. She glanced out to see the city illuminate, it was an simple view but it was beautiful in its own light.

“I haven’t gotten the chance to ask you yet.” Aaron dropped her order in front of her as she signalled him to proceed. She took hers out and smiles, delighted that she got a treat to end the night off. “How are you guys connected to all of this?”

She paused to look at him. The side of her lips curved up as she chuckles, amused that it took him this long to ask. Ah, the question finally popped up. “Are you asking about Wang Zi?”

“Everything.”

“There’s something more important.” She took her eyes off him to look at her cupcake. “As far as I know, you are planning on breaking into an unknown area. Aren’t you afraid you might be killed?” And when his lips curve into a smirk, boy, was it beginning to tick her off. What did he do to her to make her feel like this? “They took the people who is important to me. The only way for me to get—”

Aaron stopped when a man in uniform appeared beside their table. “Identification please.” The policemen stated as Angela took out her purse, taking her ID out. Aaron grabbed his out of his pocket and handed it over to him.

“Oh Mr. Aaron Yan and Miss. Angela Qiu!”

“Officer, don’t you get tired of checking for identification every single night?” The officer shook his head. “Can’t help it, it’s part of keeping you safe from criminals. Don’t you guys know? Streets at night is dangerous so you should go straight home as soon as you can.”

“Yes sir!”

When the officer handed their citizenship back to them, he walked away, asking for ID’s from everyone else in the room. Angela sighs as she looks back to Aaron who zoned out. She ended up kicking his feet under the table to get him back.n“If you want to be suspicious, be suspicious by yourself. Don’t pull me into the water with you.” His eyebrow arched. “You like cupcakes?” She nodded. “More than anything.”

“More than me?” She laughs, flashing her innocent smile at him. “Definitely more than you.”

“Ouch~ To hear I got rejected for an cupcake!”

“Oh the sad truth~” They both burst into laughter as she stared out at the city view. “Why do you want to be reporter?” It looks like they are playing 20 questions now. “I like facts.”

“Facts?” She nods. “How about you? Do you want to inherit the company after your father?”

“Not at the moment, I’m not thinking about my father or my job these days.”

“Why not?”

“I like my life as it is. When the time comes, it will come for me to decide.” She liked his answer, it was clean and simple. To the point.

“So you want to live with your infamous title being Mr. Aaron Yan?” He smirked, drinking his coffee. “My long list of girls... are you still interested in me?” She smacked him on the head, feeling used. “Relax, it was a joke.” He ruffed his hair with a smile plastered on his face. He did enjoy her company, these past few days have been like torture to him, trying to find Gui was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In these 6 hours with Angela, it felt like a day to him. She managed to give him his laughter and most importantly, peace. He knew that their time together is coming to an end. Angela and Aaron will be friends

“Does this mean I’ve made it on your list?” He became silent for a moment, but his silence made her uneasy so she just laughed it off. “It was a joke! Who would—”

“You are my last one.” 

What? Speechless. She was completely caught off-guard by him. “I gave up on partying a long time, I am ending it with you.” She sighs. “She’s lucky to have you.” She wanted a spot in his life, a spot where she could jump into. Who knew that during the time spent with him, she found him intriguing and certainly, a guy who would give up just almost everything to follow his heart. that was a fact. Even if you keep turning the glass around, hoping to see it in a different angle, it’s the same. He wasn’t the man that everyone envisioned him to be, he is someone who hopes to catch a shooting star with his own hand.

Angela was all sighs as she got up, grabbing her purse along the way. “There’s still one more stop left.” Aaron followed her out of the cafe and hopped into the car.  Angela drove to Men’s Stylish Boutique, Ya Tou has given her a spare key—just in case if anything happened, Ya Tou knows Angela would be the knight in shining armour. 

“Breaking in? Who knew you were a bad girl?” He sneered as she smirked, holding up a key. “It’s not breaking in when I have a key now is it?”

When they got inside, Aaron walked around for a moment to admire the suits and ties that were on display. He didn’t get the chance to clearly look around since he was preoccupied earlier. Before he could look further into the store, she touched his arm, he turned around to find her handing him a bag. “Change into this.” He complied with her request as he walked into the changing room as she went into hers. She stood there for a good minute, taking in this Cinderella moment that she yearned for. Too bad her moment lasted only 6 hours. She ped her dress, slipping out only to slip into tight black jeans and a clean black tank top. She took off her heels and slipped into boots instead. Now this was comfortable, she’s back.

When she walked out of the change room, Aaron was already standing in the lobby, waiting for her. He too was dressed in the exact same fashion as her, from fancy dress shoes to sneakers. She untied her bun, letting her hair fall down freely. She retrieved her leather jacket before looking at Aaron.

“Don’t tell me we are going to steal something now?”

“As a matter of fact, you are. I’m not going with you.”

“WHAT?” Angela have him his jacket. “Let’s go, our time is almost up.”

She whispered as she grabbed her Gucci bag and headed out the door. Followed by Aaron who stayed behind to lock the doors to the boutique. “You really know how to make use of time.”

“Places to go, things to see, events to report.” She smiles as she concentrated on driving. 

When they reached their destination, they both hopped out. He felt the cold breeze through his jacket, sending shivers dow his body as he made his way over to her. She peeked at her watch,  imprinting the time. “We have 2 minutes left. You have given me your time and for that, I am grateful, thank you for spending 6 hours with me.”

“Angela...”

“Mr. Aaron Yan, this is where we part ways.” He didn’t smile, laugh, or smirk. Why was she saying all these things like they were not going to see each other again? Didn’t she ask them to be friends? So why was she talking like this?

“What are you doing?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” She whispers in time to see a car park beside hers. Aaron stared at it for a brief moment before he turn to see Angela smile at him.

“You are going to steal it now.”

“Angela...”

“Go.”

“Angela, thank you.” She weakly smiles as he ran over to her, gave her a quick kiss on her check before he slipped into Sheng Yi’s car. When the car sped away, she found herself leaning against her car for support. Touching the place he kissed her, this feeling she fought so hard not to show. She clutched onto her heart, pleading for the beating to stop. “You’re hurting me... Did you know that?”

 

Flashback (Additional scene/ Deleted scene to chapter 30) 

When he left, Wang Zi leaned over to observe her sister. “You like him. You fricken like him!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You were quiet the entire time.”

“Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP!”

“Let me ask you a question, who's side are you on? His or your brother’s side?” Angela looked up at him, why is this question popping up?

“Ao Long wants to use Wu to fulfill dad’s dying wish. Did you remember the time when dad was still alive, he would always joke around but in his heart, he was dying inside. All because of those stupid scientists who took everything away from him. He spent countless hours and time spent to create a masterpiece, only to have it thrown out like it was nothing. Are you going to stop Aaron? or at least, try too? I know you like him but can’t you see it? He won’t respond to your feelings. I don’t want to see you cry for this guy. So please, decide where you stand in this.”

“Sheng Yi...”

“I can understand what our brother is doing. He wants to tie together the pieces so that he can give our father a smile up in heaven. Do you want to know why I am helping you? Even though I do not hate our father or Ao Long, I want him to come to his senses. He has spent too much time with  his crowd to notice what he is doing is wrong, that’s where I stand. In between you two, I have always been in between and I will always be there.”

Angela poured a glass of liquor into her cup. “Sis... I know you better than anyone else. Even in you keep denying it, I can still see it! You like this guy.” Shang Yi sighs, gulping down his drink before putting his jacket and sunglasses on. "Why is it getting complicated?”

 

End of Flashback

 

When she could feel her heartbeat beating normally, like it used too. She glanced up at the moonless sky, was it always this dark without the moon? “Let me ask you a question, who's side are you on? His or your brother’s side?” She didn't need to think about it, she knew where she stood. Aaron helped her realize it, Sheng Yi questioned it while Alan knew all along.

She took the keys out of the ignition and went in. Her dreams came true when she received her Journalism degree. This was her job, her life, everything normal was here. Everything she had worked for was reflected in her and in her office. She dropped her name tag but held onto her envelope.     

“I know you’re there, come out.” The figure stepped out, revealing herself in the presence of Angela. She bowed to her while Angela kept her gaze fixated on her name tag.

“How long have you known?” Mei Mei inquired. It was part of her job to be discrete and not let her know. She couldn’t afford to screw up. “About you? For awhile now.” 

“Then why didn’t you say anything?” Angela drops the letter on her desk and walked out of the room, Mei Mei caught a glimpse of the letter and smirked at the words engraved heavily on the front: Letter of Resignation.