Under The Sky Lanterns

Lupunzel, Lupunzel Let Down Your Long Hair!

They continued their journey to The Land of The Sun the next morning. Luhan nervously played with his little fingers, avoiding Kai's gaze, his mind was still confused because of what happened yesterday.

"Luhan, look!" Kai called as he pointed with his index finger. They could see the town; crowded with flags with the palace's symbol on it, little feet running around and laughing, colorfull balloons, folk music could be heard too. Luhan's eyes shone as he took in the sight, he was almost there.

"Oh my God!! Kai!! Come on, faster!! Hurryyy!!"

"The town's not going anywhere, princess" he chuckled.

Luhan smiled widely when he finally stepped his running feet on the town, Baozi almost fell off of his shoulder, forgetting the worries he had before. He waved his arms around to no one in particular and some of the kids who were playing waved back to him with toothy smiles. Kai walked slowly behind him and watched him in awe as he played with the kids.

 

All those days watching in the windows

All those years outside looking in

All that time never even knowing 

Just how blind I've been

Now I'm here blinking in the starlight

Now I'm here suddenly I see 

Standing here it's all so clear

I'm where I'm meant to be

 

Luhan helped the kids painting their sky lanterns with colorful flower and stars. "Noona, can you draw a bear on my lantern? Please?" a little boy asked him. Kai laughed seeing Luhan's redden face because of the word 'noona' but he still smiled and drew a little bear on his lantern anyway. "Thank you, pretty noona!" Luhan nodded and patted his head with a smile.

"Hey, pretty noona" Kai sang, "Pie?" he grinned, offering a piece of cream pie on a paper liner. Luhan glared as he took the pie and bit it, giving a small piece to Baozi as well.

Just then, two guards of the Phoebus Palace passed by. Kai quickly dragged Luhan to an alley to hide from them.

"Kai..." Luhan called with a serious tone, eyes fixed on the panicked young man in front of him.

"Hmm?" he replied, but his attention was still on the guards' backs.

"...Why did you steal the crown?"

Kai widened his eyes at Luhan's question and turned his head at him, "W-what, haha..."

"I know you're running from the guards because you stole the palace's crown, Kai"

They stared at each other's eyes, Luhan's eyes were teary and Kai bit his lip before he looked down, breaking their eye contact and sighed.

"I'm sorry... I-"

"Are you going to leave me after the festival?"

"What- no!"

"Are you going to prison me and have my hair for yourself?"

"No, Luhan! I'm not going to do either of that!"

"Then what, Kai? What are you going to do after this?" 

"I..." Kai paused to think for awhile, "I don't know, Luhan..."

Luhan blinked and a single tear ran down his left cheek, "Well, I'm sorry for being a burden to you..."

"But you're not-"

Luhan walked away but Kai quickly grabbed his arm and embraced him, "Listen," he rested his chin on top of Luhan's head, "You're not a burden, okay? I just want to help you to see the festival and I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do afterward. But one thing for sure, I'm not going to do something that would hurt you" he kissed Luhan's forehead, "Stop crying, you look ugly" he chuckled lightly as he wiped the older's tears. Luhan sniffed and smiled, hitting Kai's chest for teasing him.

"That's the pretty smile" Kai smiled back and pinched Luhan's cheek playfully, "Come on, let's get you a lantern"

Luhan nodded and they walked out of the alley, hands clasped tightly with each other.

"Damn it!" Chen cursed from his hiding place, "Seems like I need to do Plan B now" he smirked.

 

The sun had set, people were ready with their lanterns, waiting for the king and queen to float it first.

"Your Majesty, it's time" Suho informed.

"Come, my queen, our people are waiting" Kris said as he squeezed his wife shoulders reassuringly.

Taozi gave a small nod, her eyes watery as they walked to the front balcony. The royal lantern was ready, the king and queen lit the lantern and let it float to the night sky with a sad heart. The queen couldn't help but shed a tear everytime they float the lantern, mind wandering to her son's well being, and the king could only hug his wife and watched as the people started to float their lanterns as well.

 

Luhan was fascinated by the beautiful view above him. The sky was decorated with yellow and orange from the lanterns. Kai looked at him, the lights illuminating Luhan's pale skin and his eyes were sparkling, he felt like his heart was beating so fast and melting at the same time. He touched Luhan's cheek and made the older turned to look at him and smiled that beautiful smile of his. Kai cupped his face and inched closer unconsciously, and Baozi had his eyes covered by his little iguana hands, hiding in between Luhan's feet.

 

And at last I see the light

And it's like the fog has lifted

And at last I see the light

And it's like the sky is new

And it's warm and real and bright

And the world has somehow shifted

All at once everything looks different

Now that I see you

 

"Kai?" Luhan called, he put his hands on top of Kai's that were on his cheeks.

"You're so beautiful, Luhan..." Kai whispered before he closed the distance between their lips.

Luhan froze and stares at Kai's closed eyes. He whimpered and closed his eyes too when Kai and lightly bit his lower lip before gliding his tongue over to soothe it.

 

"That's the thief!! Get him!!"

Their kiss was ended by force, one of the palace's guards yanked Kai's arm and handcuffed him. They didn't even have any chance to run away.

"No!! Kai!!!" Luhan screamed when they dragged Kai toward the palace to put him into prison and maybe punish him by having his head off for stealing the crown.

Luhan was about to reach Kai's hand but someone pulled him back. It was Mama Chen.

"No!! Mama, let me go!!" he struggled but to no avail, "Kai!!!" he dropped to his knees and cried.

"Hush hush, little one, you're safe with Mama" Chen hugged him, "Now, let's go back to your tower, Lupunzel"

"No! Mama, I hate you! I don't want to go back to that tower ever again!!" he pushed Chen with all his power and ran.

"Lay!" Chen shouted and got up, calling for his unicorn to run after Luhan.

"I'm sorry but you've gone too far, Chen" Lay said before he kicked Chen hard with his back legs until the wizard passed out.

 

The guards threw Kai into the palace's prison, he groaned when his back met with the hard bricked wall. He leant his back and tossled his hair in frustration, mind and heart worried about Luhan. Then he felt something his ankle and looked down only to find Luhan's little green iguana.

"Baozi!" the said iguana grinned and swung the keys on his tail to get Kai out of the prison, "Good boy!" Kai grabbed the keys and put Baozi on his shoulder before running off.

 

Luhan ran to the front gate of the palace, screaming Kai's name at the top of his lungs. The guards tried to expelled him when Suho came to see what was all the ruckus about.

'He looks familiar...'

Suho widened his eyes when he realized who the golden haired boy was.

'Prince Lu Han!' 

But he couldn't be too sure, so he told the guards to bring Luhan in first.

"What's your name?" he asked once they were inside the palace.

"Luhan..." he fidgeted, eyes still wet, "Uhm, where is Kai? Please d-don't kill him..."

"The thief? He's in the prison and he's fine," Suho reassured, a bit confused of Luhan's relationship with Kai but he burshed it off, "Wait here, okay?" he patted Luhan's shoulder then went to get the king and queen.

"Your Majesty," he knocked, "Come in" Kris said after a few second. "There's a young man you need to see, my Lord" he bowed.

Kris exchanged knowing look with Taozi and they went out of the room immediately, led by Suho.

 

Kai got lost in the big palace and Baozi was no help in pointing the right direction. There was a maid passing and Kai had to hide in a room nearby.

"Kai?" a soft voice called him. He turned his head to find Luhan sitting in the middle of the room, "Luhan?" he gasped and ran to the older, "What are you doing in here? Are you okay?" he looked around Luhan's body for any wound.

"Kai, I'm fine" he giggled, "How did you get out of the prison?"

"Baozi helped me" he grinned. "Just when I wonder where did my Baozi go" Luhan smiled, picking Baozi up and kissed him.

The room's door suddenly opened, Suho was back, now with the king and queen.

"" Kai cursed and Luhan quickly stepped in front of the younger as if to protect him, "Please, let him go! You have the crown back, haven't you?"

"And who is this young man might be?" the king asked.

"He is the one who stole the crown, Your Majesty" Suho glanced at Kai then at Luhan, "And this is...Luhan"

"Lu...Han?" Queen Taozi walked slowly toward him, eyes glistening and Luhan looked at her with such an odd familiarity swirling in his stomach.

Suddenly, the big window in the room crashed, broken glasess everywhere and everyone was in shock. Luhan's braid broke off from the strong wind and his long golden hair scattered on the floor.

"Oh, I see you have finally meet your real parents, Luhannie" Chen jumped in, "Such a sweet meeting that I have to put to an end" he laughed wickedly.

"My... w-what?" Luhan stared in disbelief, so were the rest of them in the room.

"You are the Lost Prince of Phoebus, Luhan. That stupid lanterns are really meant for you, oh how dramatic" he mocked.

"You... You were the one who kidnapped my son all this time?!" Queen Taozi shouted and was about to attack the wizard but King Kris held her back.

"Yes!" Chen shouted back, he twirled his hand and some roots emerged from the ground, strapping everyone in place, including the guards who had come because of the noises, "I kidnapped your precious baby to have his magic hair all for myself! I even built a tower just for him" he tsked, "Aren't I the best Mama you could have, Lupunzel? But see what you have done! You ruined everything I have worked all these thousand years!" he walked to Kai, "And you... You piece of crum!" he slapped Kai across the face, hard enough to make the corner of his lips bleeding.

"No! Mama, stop!" Luhan cried, "I will... I will go back with you. Just, don't hurt them, please..." he begged in tears.

"Aww, not only you have a golden hair, you also have a golden heart" Chen Luhan's wet cheek.

"Yeah, and you have a rotten heart, you fugly wizard" Kai scoffed.

Chen got angry and tightened the roots around his body, not realizing his unicorn; Lay, who jumped into the room and attacked him from behind. They fell with a loud thud and the roots came loose so Kai could break out.

"Cut Luhan's hair! Hurry!!" Lay shouted, rolling around with Chen to keep the wizard down.

Kai quickly reached for his pocket knife and went to Luhan. He grabbed the long golden hair and cut it from Luhan's nape, leaving it short. But Chen was fast enough to throw a death spell to Kai as he screamed in pain as Luhan's golden hair turned to dark brown, the magic disappeared into the air, and so was Chen's immortality. The wizard slowly turning into ashes that was blown away by the wind.

"Kai, wake up!" Luhan laid the younger's head on his lap, "Kai!"

Luhan was shaking as he kept Kai's cold, numb, dead body, trying to bring him back to life. His hot tears streaming down from his pretty eyes to his milky face, gathering on his chin before it dropped on Kai's blue face.

One drop, two drops, three drops.

Then his tears were shining a bright yellow, just like how his golden hair would when he sang the flower song. Slowly, Kai's whole body was glowing as life seeped back into him. Luhan stared, his mouth gaping when Kai coughed and opened his eyes inch by inch.

"Kai?" he called, still a bit unsure of the situation he was witnessing.

"It's Jongin" the younger smiled, his eyes fully opened, "Call me Jongin"

"Jong...in" Luhan smiled widely, crushing him with a big hug, "Jongin!"

 

All those days chasing down a daydream

All those years living in the blur

All that time never truly seeing

Things, the way they were

Now he's here shining in the starlight

Now he's here suddenly I know 

If he's here it's crystal clear

I'm where I'm meant to go

 

They got married a week later. The whole people of The Land of The Sun were celebrating both their marriage and of course, the return of Prince Luhan to the Phoebus Palace. There were permanent happy smiles on the Almighty King Kris and the Grace Queen Taozi's face now. Even Baozi had a little happy ending for himself with Lay the unicorn. And Kai's friend; Baekhyun and Chanyeol? They became the palace's guards, working as Suho's men.

 

---

a/n: I FINALLY UPDATED!!!!! T^^^T

this story has ended! im sorry for the abrupt ending /sobs/ but thank you for waiting! ><

now i will try my best to continue my other abandoned fics lol

my desire to write is decreasing and im busy with college but thank god i finally am on my holiday!~ yayyyy hope i still have some skills and desire left to write tho ahahaha..... i love you all my lovely readers :3

anw hope you enjoy! don't forget to leave comments! <3