Work

Living the same life as Everyone Else

AN: Thank you for the comments and subbies^^ *bows* Umm.. First of all happy bday to Key-oppa~ I wish I could say that because of his bday, this chapter will be lighter^^*sighs* I hope you'll enjoy this chap^^

By the way, if it wasn't obvious from the first chapter, most of the story will be in Key's P.O.V.. If he'll be 'unable' to narrate the story, the story will continue in another character's P.O.V.

BIG QUESTION: Do you want to know about what happened to Onew? I will only write that part (and not now, but later) if you do...


After 'breakfast' we had another ten minutes in our apartment before we would have to walk to our workplace. A lot of the Workers here worked in the mines, just like me and Taemin. Maybe that was a reason for why both of us were so pale. 

Other workers like Onew, or a tall, black haired guy, Doojoon worked as cleaners in the Leaders's building like what they called 'Mall' or 'School'. They were the luckiest of us. I have heard that some people worked at farms, where they had to take care of furry creatures. I knew what fur was, I once saw a Leader woman in a furry coat, but it was really rare and only the very rich people could allow themselves. But I've never really heard about creatures that were furry. I guess it was just a rumor.. Though, I didn't know where I food came either. I mean, I did knew that the cereal we got was from something that was grown in the soil, and that the milk came from something that was similar to a human, but it still wasn't, but that's all I really knew. We usually had that for breakfast and bread and water for lunch and dinner. No wonder all of us were so skinny.

I only knew how to work and how to clean up after myself and Taemin. Yes, he was strong for his age, but he still got tired easily, so I would always have to make his cleaning duties as well. 

Of course, he was still a kid. Other than those things, I knew how to come home from my workplace if the Leaders weren't leading us back or I was sent home quickly because of something. 

So yeah, I knew everything I needed in my life. I guess. Sometimes, I had the feeling that this was everything, but enough. That I should be able to do a lot of other things. That I shouldn't be the same as everyone else. I wanted to be.. myself. I never really like being just one of the other Workers. Scratch that, I hated it. But it's not like I could do anything against it.

After our free time passed, an elegant looking Leader woman walked in to the dining room gracefully. She had a disgusted look on her face, the same look the guards of the mine had. 

'Alright, Workers. Today, all people who work in the Mines will be working separately, since Students are coming to observe your work. If you don't do what the Students tell you, you can prepare for the worst of all punishments, since a lot of Leaders are going to check to reports the Students make, and they are going to grade our mine according to that.The others will be graded next week 'she said, glaring at us icily. I have to say that with or without the glare, she wasn't a nice sight. Her eyes were black, and empty, but cruel. Her hair was short and black, and just.. not nice. I scrunched my face up in disgust. 

Taemin was standing next to me as we had to form a line and follow the Leader. She glared at me when I held Taemin's hand and let him walk next to me.

'Don't stand next to each other, you worthless pieces of trash, 'she started as she walked to us and grabbed my chin, her long nails scratching my chin, drawing some blood. I could smell her sickly sweet scent and it almost made me gag.'you don't deserve it..' she added and pushed me behind Taemin, whose eyes were filled with tears. He was really scared of the woman, I knew it by the sound of his soft whimper, and the fact that he tried to stay as close to me as he could.

'Yes, Ma'am.'I nodded to her as she started leading us to the Mine. I didn't want to go, it was far away, and my legs were already aching from yesterday's punishment. As we were walking on the cold, empty road (we weren't allowed to wear shoes on the road to the Mines, we could only wear them when we were working) I could feel a pair of hungry eyes on me. Well, I was used to being stared at when I was , but people didn't really give me a second glance when I was clothed. I have to say that this was disgusting me, just like a lot of things in this world. I turned back to see who was looking at me, and I frowned. It was one of the Workers that usually worked next to me. He slept in the same room as me, and one night I caught him trying to climb into my bed and do whatever to me. I was able to hit him that night, and he hadn't really looked at me since then, but now, his gaze was sort of frightening. It was like he would attack me in any moment.

Thankfully, we were almost at the Mines by the time he stepped next to me and tried to pull me close. I could feel his hot breath on my neck as the Leaders came and told us where we'd work that day. My luck seemed to have left me, since I was going to work next to the male that tried to touch me. I took a shaky breath as I picked up my tiny pickaxe and pulled on the outworn shoes I had. 

'You can leave for work now. Your first break will be in six hours, after that, you will be able to come up and eat your lunch. After your lunch break, you will have to to work until eight in the evening.' A tall, dark haired Leader told us. All of us bowed mechanically and we walked down into the freezing mines. 

My duty consisted of hitting the dark stones until small pieces fell of, and then I would have to put them into a bucket. When the bucket was full, I would have to carry them to the Workers that transported them to the storage rooms. I have no idea what happened after that, but I knew that my job was one of the worst. 

As I approached my place, I saw that the Worker from before was already at his, looking at me with a smirk on his face. '..'I thought.. I knew that nothing good could come out of this situation, I just knew it.