Not different, special

Living the same life as Everyone Else

AN: Okay, I know that I shouldn't have used Yoogeun and all, but he was the first that came to my mind. To make you feel a bit better, don't worry, those two will have a bright future.. :)


After 'lunch', I had to go back to my spot. I gulped when I noticed that the Student wasn't there anymore. The fact that he was somewhere else meant that someone noticed that he had been helping me. Or he told them. I wasn't sure, but I knew that the result would be the same.

Punishment. And it was going to be worse then ever, I knew it.

I started to work slowly, I was barely able to move my arm, but I knew that I had to, or they would hurt me more. I knew that someone was watching me, I could feel their eyes on my back. I was shaking slightly, maybe because of the cold, maybe because of the fear, maybe because of the pain I felt. I didn't know, all I knew that I was scared.

Somehow, I hoped that it was the Student who told them about what happened... It would mean that he would be safe. I mean, yes, it would also mean that he had betrayed me, but.. strangely I wanted the best for him. It was a strange emotion, since before, I only cared for Taemin and maybe Onew. And myself, but I don't think I counted. And now I cared for him as well.

I sighed, feeling a wave of dizziness hit me suddenly. I hadn't eaten for a long time, I should have known that I was going to feel like this sooner or later. 'I should have eaten some of that bread...'I thought and look around. No one seemed to be there, so I sat down slowly and curled up. Tears gathered in my eyes, and my vision seemed blurred, because the dizziness and the tears.

I felt lost and hurt. I wasn't sure why, but I just broke down. I just simply wanted to die. I felt betrayed by that Student, and even those kids. And Taemin.. and Onew.. Everyone had betrayed me.

I started to hear something. Footsteps. I sat up slowly and grabbed my pickaxe, but I dropped it. What was the use of it when they were coming to beat me up? It's not like the punishment was going to be lighter if I started working now.

I turned to look at the direction the sounds came, and let out a relieved breath. It was him, the Student with a wide smile on his face. So he was safe.

'Sorry for being late, some girl couldn't let me go...'he laughed and walked to me. 'So, how was lunch?' he asked.

'Fine.'I whispered and forced myself to smile at him. I picked up my pickaxe and turned back to the rock, wincing because of the pain I was feeling.

'What do they serve for you?' he asked me.' You're the first Worker I've met, so I'm pretty curious...'he explained.

'Well, they mainly give us bread.. It's nice enough, and better than the yucky breakfast food they sometimes make.. It stinks..' I said and brought my pickaxe onto the rock as hard as I could.

'That doesn't sound too great..'he said as he watched me. I sighed, I hated it when people were watching me.

'It's alright. It's not like we've ever had anything else.'I said, leaning down and picking up some of the small pieces of the rock that had fell off. I put them in my bucket and smiled softly. I was a bit stronger than usually, which was strange since I was very hungry.

'Are you hungry?' he asked me suddenly.

'Wait.. what?' I asked back, completely shocked by his question.

'Are you hungry? Because I brought you food.'he said. I blinked a few times.

'R..really?' I asked him softly. He chuckled, and nodded. He went back to where his backpack was (only then did I notice that he had one with him) and got out something from it. I had never seen anything like it, but my eyes lit up. It was food. And I was really hungry.

As if he had heard my thoughts, he chuckled again, and hurried to give me the food. I smiled at him thankfully, not even thinking about the possibility that it was a trick, and started eating quickly. My eyes widened, it tasted.. Much, much better than anything I had ever eaten. It was a bit soft, and even looked like bread, but it was much... sweeter? Or at least I think so. I finished it quickly, and smiled at him again.

'Thank you...'I whispered. 'This saved my life.'I added and got back to work again.

'I'm happy that I could help you. You are not like the others.' he said. I looked back at him, my pickaxe still on my hands. It must have looked like I wanted to kill him.

'What do you mean?' I asked him. 'I am just like them..'

'Yeah right..'he said and chuckled softly. 'You have an attitude, and you are much stronger. You dare to talk back, even to me, and you just.. look different. 'he said. 'I don't know why, but I want to help you.'

'It's not like I need your help.' I said, but there was something in my tone that made the sentence playful.

'Well, it doesn't seem like that.' he said as he stepped behind me. He turned put his hands on my waist. I gulped, but then I realized that I felt safe like this. He chuckled and turned us back to where the rock was and let my waist go. He put his hands on mine, and managed to hit the rock with my pickaxe. My cheeks felt like they were on flame, but I knew that I didn't have a fever. I was blushing deeply, because he was standing behind me. His touch was making me feel safe, and want to hug him. I knew that it was forbidden, but it wasn't like I hadn't done anything bad before, so I let him help me like this.

In no time, it was the time I could finally go back to our apartment. I felt a bit sad to part with him, it was a very strange feeling. Before I had to walk back, he grabbed my wrist.

'You know, you're not different. You are special.'he said. I blushed again and hurried up to the hall. I could only hope that I wouldn't get punished for what had happened. I hadn't done anything... that bad, right?